[FE9] Character Editor and Randomizer [v1.3]

jespoke

So i used the time between exams and the new semester, and now a significant time into said semester, to give a crack at making an FE9 randomizer. What i ended up with was a Character Editor/Randomizer for Windows.

What I’ve made is an editor/randomizer for FE9 that can be used to edit these parts of the character entries:

· Bases

· Growths

· Class

· Weapon Ranks --- Which ones you can equip is still dictated by the class

· Weapons --- Only exchanging, no adding

· Items --- Only exchanging, no adding

· Skills --- Only exchanging, no adding

· Portrait

· Models --- Changing class automatically picks out matching models

· Name ID --- Which name in the files to use

· Level

· Build/Weight

You can also increase enemy growth rates, either to all stats, only Strength/Magic/Skill/Speed, or only Strength/Magic

For the randomizing, there are

· Bases

· Growths

· Class

· Skills

The randomizer creates a log with the changed values in it, as well as one with only the growths for avoiding spoilers.

Bases and Growths both swap Str and Mag so the higher one matches the class’s weapon type.

Class randomizing has some nuances: A character’s highest weapon rank is applied to the new class’s primary weapon, and the last item in their inventory becomes an Iron weapon for their new class. Laguz classes are handled by counting 1 laguz level = 2 beorc levels, and weapon ranks are assigned by level too. Laguz have a Laguz Stone as their starting weapon.

Marcia and Jill are moved to appear in spots where they can be reached without flight. (Thanks /u/PokecheckHozu for the help figuring this one out)

I advise against making Shinon a laguz, as his re-recruitment leaves him declawed. The randomizer heeds this advice.

If you run in to any bugs or issues, or want help with editing FE9 outside of what this editor can do, feel free to comment here, or ping me on the Fire Emblem subreddit discord.

The editor/randomizer (You need everything in the folder): https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsfU3qRjcTTdhi8Mglgc0qgyEr-C

The source code on Github: https://github.com/jespoketheepic/FE9-Character-Editor-and-Randomizer

You need two other tools to use this. For extracting files from a .iso/.gcm; GCTool: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/GC-Tool

and for rebuilding the finished product back into an iso; GCRebuilder: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/619/

I posted my notes in a post on FEU: https://feuniverse.us/t/fe9-file-structure-notes/5020

---

v1.1 changelog:

-  Fixed enemy growth increase instead setting them to 0
-  Illyana should be fixed now?
I added a fixing case for updating to v1.1 without re-randomizing: Open the new version of the editor, go to Illyana, press apply, set the enemy growth to 0, then save and quit. That should fix everything up, except Illyana past her recruitment. You are then free to open the editor back up to (now for real) re-apply the enemy growth increase. You can then re-build the iso with the fixes, it will work with the old save.

v1.2.

- The system.cmp simultaneous access issue should be fixed now.
- Skill randomizing, fixed the main bug, might be some bugs hiding under it still, idk.
- Ike can’t become classes that can’t fight.

v1.3

- Fixed an NA version exclusive issue where skill randomizing went completely haywire.
- Lords and Thieves can now promote
- Randomizing now makes the laguz royals no longer transform when they arrive, to prevent them from de-promoting into beorc classes. I can sadly not edit this for each individually as it is the same cutscene for all three.
- Fixed an issue where the enormous HP growths of base game Laguz were counting negative to their growth total. I also put some new overflow protection on the growth randomizing.
- Removed all the unused Mages/Sages from the random selection. Increased the appearance odds of the standard ones to be higher, but it still results in less overabundance of magic units.
- Gatrie now also can’t become a laguz, like Shinon, again to prevent literal declawing upon rejoining.
- Known issue: Valkyries that start promoted don’t get swords for some reason.
- Known issue: Geoffrey always gets bow access for some reason? Use them at your own risk, it can crash in various ways.

Edited by jespoke

1 minute ago, bethany81707 said:

unknown.png?width=312&height=300

He turned off animations after Chapter 2- untransformed Tibarn!Rhys crashed the system.

Who turned into Lethe here?

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Who turned into Lethe here?

Boyd. Oscar (and from the looks of the tutorial, Mist) turned into silhouette Rangers- Oscar turned out to be a Tiger.

EDIT/QUESTION: What is this?

unknown.png?width=366&height=301

Edited by bethany81707

3 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

EDIT/QUESTION: What is this?

unknown.png?width=366&height=301

That is Ilyana, a character that causes issues for me and i thought i had fixed, but apparently not. I'm afraid I'm going to have some tedious work before me in editing every difficulty separately.

I can't thank you enough for this! My friends and I are having a blast.

EDIT : Sometimes when you increase enemies growth rates after doing other edits they become stuck with the bases of their classes for the rest of the game. It seems random, because after redoing EXACTLY THE SAME THING it didn't happen again. 

Edited by LaurentLacroix

On 3/8/2019 at 2:55 AM, LaurentLacroix said:

EDIT : Sometimes when you increase enemies growth rates after doing other edits they become stuck with the bases of their classes for the rest of the game. It seems random, because after redoing EXACTLY THE SAME THING it didn't happen again. 

Lucky. Not what happened to a friend of mine. He got it consistently.

Being a Lord, and thus being able to Seize, is governed by a Skill that my friend's Ike lost on Skill randomisation.

I would also advise making sure you have the following Skills functioning correctly. FE10 Canto, at least, might be all right:

Female, Being-Promoted, FE10 Canto, Flying, Village-Destroying, being a Boss, being the Final Boss, being a Feral, second weapon on Paladin, Sage with Staves, +5 Hit/Avoid to allies within 3 spaces, Shove, Can't Class Change, Ballista/Longbow usage, opening doors (both free and paid), both Triangle Attacks, Rolf's Bow, Amiti, Laguz Band, Knight Ward usage, Blessed Armour, and +15 Crit rate.

EDIT: When he ran through his units upon learning his run died, he noticed Rolf has the Skill "Discipline". That and Mantle should probably be taken out of the pool.

Edited by bethany81707

4 hours ago, bethany81707 said:

Being a Lord, and thus being able to Seize, is governed by a Skill that my friend's Ike lost on Skill randomisation.

I would also advise making sure you have the following Skills functioning correctly. FE10 Canto, at least, might be all right:

Female, Being-Promoted, FE10 Canto, Flying, Village-Destroying, being a Boss, being the Final Boss, being a Feral, second weapon on Paladin, Sage with Staves, +5 Hit/Avoid to allies within 3 spaces, Shove, Can't Class Change, Ballista/Longbow usage, opening doors (both free and paid), both Triangle Attacks, Rolf's Bow, Amiti, Laguz Band, Knight Ward usage, Blessed Armour, and +15 Crit rate.

EDIT: When he ran through his units upon learning his run died, he noticed Rolf has the Skill "Discipline". That and Mantle should probably be taken out of the pool.

The previous version had problems with giving Chant and Lockpick all over the place, and my fix to that seems to somehow have allowed all the banned and protected skills into the randomization. It should be a small fix i can make tonight.

Thanks a lot for this tool. I was dreaming of such a thing since... forever.
Now, I can picture new fan games, re-balancing ones for starter, of Path of Radiance.

There are some bugs, that's true, but the tool is such a blessing for guys like me (who knew the game by heart and wanted new challenges, re-balancing and random).

Speaking of which, I have undergone some issues with randomization (which is perfectly normal at this stage, I think), especially with models (some kind of default black/bug ranger). I have fixed the issues one time by removing model 1 and 2 (Mist was a Pegasus but any Pegasus model doesn't fit until I remove all models attached to her), sometimes by removing only one of the two models (Laguz who become under-promoted and under-promoted who become Laguz) and sometimes by changing the models attached to the character (no real reason except the model was already used by an other character).

So, trying to resolve the issue, I've seen some good outfits (the black swap color of Tormod is awesome) but it was a bit laborious...
My only advice, if it's possible, would be a rename of the many models and a better ordering for the user. For example, AID_MAGE_TO and AID_MAGE2_TO should be adjacent in the list and renamed Mage_Red (Tormod) and Sage_Red (Tormod). Etc.

Anyway, words are not enough to express my gratitude.
Thank you.

Edited by Planck
syntax perfectionnism

• 3 months later...

So my emulator seems to really dislike maps with green units(mia in tutorial and marcia in chapter 3) when using an .iso that has been tampered with Jespoke's Tool v1.2, any advice on what to do about this? My game freezes up at these chapters which is why I think it's the green units causing problems (not 100% sure)

• 5 months later...

I know this has been ages since anyone has posted, but maybe someone can help. I'm at the end of chapter one, my Ike is a knight (with 0% defense growth which I find hilarious) and after clearing all enemies I can't seize the map. I've tried every one of my units and no dice. Seems to be a total softlock. Anyone know of a fix?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2020 at 3:16 PM, Lostpsp said:

I know this has been ages since anyone has posted, but maybe someone can help. I'm at the end of chapter one, my Ike is a knight (with 0% defense growth which I find hilarious) and after clearing all enemies I can't seize the map. I've tried every one of my units and no dice. Seems to be a total softlock. Anyone know of a fix?

If normal soft resets don't work, maybe try just restarting the chapter completely. If not, maybe try poking around behind the scenes? Idk what to tell you without looking at the save myself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I have an issue, whenever I try to start the randomizer and select the root folder, it states there was an exception in the files for the randomizer. I tried redownloading the files, re-extracting the root folder, restarting my computer, none of this helped. I'm not sure if I messed something up or what, and btw I am using a Japanese iso of the game if that matters at all. Does anyone have any ideas? Thankscmd_OFcGYwhBPH.png.b1221a968a9e5a1efe4079102595a063.png

Edited by MuteMousou

On 2/22/2020 at 11:54 PM, MuteMousou said:

So I have an issue, whenever I try to start the randomizer and select the root folder, it states there was an exception in the files for the randomizer. I tried redownloading the files, re-extracting the root folder, restarting my computer, none of this helped. I'm not sure if I messed something up or what, and btw I am using a Japanese iso of the game if that matters at all. Does anyone have any ideas? Thankscmd_OFcGYwhBPH.png.b1221a968a9e5a1efe4079102595a063.png

The editor works with the European and American versions, and not the Japanese one.