Doing an LP for an experiment, need help on the unit choice

So I'm gonna do an LP of Shadow Dragon that's something of a documented experiment. I'm going to try and compare the usefulness of early and late promoting units, and to do this, I'm going to use a bunch of pairs of mostly-interchangeable units, early-promote one and late-promote the other, and see how useful I find each over the course of the game. I've decided to use Shadow Dragon for this purpose because Frey and Abel and Cord and Barst work well for this purpose when it comes to baseline units, but also because the freeform class change system will make it the easiest to make more. To clarify, I'll be using a mod so I can use Frey on hard mode.

And that's what I'm looking for advice with. Are there any worthwhile units who, when class-changed, are comparable to another unit who joins at a similar time, whether in their base form or similarly class-changed? I'm planning to assemble a full team of varied pairs of unit types, half of which I promote asap an half of which I promote at level 20, and I need help assembling the rest of the team, as Marth and 4 others is hardly going to cut it, especially since I want to keep xp distribution thin enough that the units don't get too high level before master seals show up.

For more context, here is the first thread I made on this subject when I was trying to work out which game to play:

Thanks, any help or advice would be appreciated!

Edited by Alastor15243

I Know Barst is really OP as a Hero and that's it really. Although keep him fighter and then after promotion let him become a Hero.

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I Know Barst is really OP as a Hero and that's it really. Although keep him fighter and then after promotion let him become a Hero.

And that has nothing to do with what he asked, really.

OP, If you reclass Draug and Cord you can get really similar half-decend Shamans/Dark Mages. I saw this because i wanted someone in this class that wasn't a gaiden character. Cord will have a little more HP, but Drauge will have a 10% defense growth. Are you able to pair Bord with Barst instead?

If i remember anything else i will send it here.

45 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

And that has nothing to do with what he asked, really.

OP, If you reclass Draug and Cord you can get really similar half-decend Shamans/Dark Mages. I saw this because i wanted someone in this class that wasn't a gaiden character. Cord will have a little more HP, but Drauge will have a 10% defense growth. Are you able to pair Bord with Barst instead?

If i remember anything else i will send it here.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m not the most experienced with this game, but my understanding was that Bord is notably worse than Barst in a way that wouldn’t be ideal for the test. How big is this gap?

31 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m not the most experienced with this game, but my understanding was that Bord is notably worse than Barst in a way that wouldn’t be ideal for the test. How big is this gap?

I don't know, it's been a long time. Maybe if i had the game with me i could check if there was another unit to pair with magic Draug. I think it's around +5 more or less, but growth is the same. The 10% defense is all Draug will have, Cord would have 0 def. Again, not actually good shamans, i could find none, but as long as they don't fight 2-range physical units is fine. If i remember correctly they both have 30% Magic, HP and Res in this class. 

But if you want to depend only on these paired classes it may be better to stay with Cord/Barst unless you are desperate for magical damage. I only ever used Barst but they are at least made to work well in their classes.

• 4 weeks later...

So, you will play on H1, to find out which units work similar? Then why hack Frey in? Really confuses me.

Hardin works pretty well, if not better the base cavs. All because of base stats and A rank in lances.

Cord can become a second Barst, Castor could be a similar bow knight as Cord/Bord/Barst.

Main problem with this FE is, most units are rubbish, while others are much stronger. There is also little to no reason to replace units / fill in gaps late game.

When I think off end-game units, only Nagi is strong. Tiki requires you to keep Bantu alive too long and you even need to deploy him...

Also, how will you be playing? Warp through chapters? Kill each and every enemy(max out the reinforcements)? Use ALL units? Kill off units?

You should set some more rules. Then get to the point where you pick THE best units in the game. Then you analyse what makes them good, the try to replicate that.

FE12 (the sequel) would give you a better time. This one never merges the two class routes. So no Hero Navarre for you, while he rocks.

One thing to keep in mind, horseslaying makes a unit more usable. So high axe, or lance is in demand. Should be higher valued then any sword user ever will.

Last, but not least... dodging is rubbish. So don't expect it to happen, when you really need too. Making fragile units very fragile, while they had a better time dodging in GBA games. This game also has ballistics, so keeping out of range might be tricky.

1 hour ago, SSJDennis said:

So, you will play on H1, to find out which units work similar? Then why hack Frey in? Really confuses me.

I’m not planning on finding out which units are comparable by playing. I’m planning on working that out before playing, then using one of each pair as an early promote and the other as a late promotion, as a sort of “control group” for the question of which makes a unit more useful overall. I was told to use Frey because he’s more comparable to Abel than Cain is and makes a better counterpart for this test.