New Heroes Approach : Beyond Darkness (March 7 ~) SPOILERS: DATAMINE

Coolmanio

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I kind of wish people that say they're not interested in units on a banner of a game they didn't play would just pick the older games and play them.  :)

They're great games.

Out of all the games I have played, Blazing Sword is my second least favorite after Shadow Dragon. I am not a huge fan of games where I cannot travel the world map and grind outside of the main chapters, so I do not think I will enjoy Binding Blade, Tellius series, or any other of the older games very much. At least in Conquest, I can grind via DLC and still improve my team post game.

If they made Sue colorless, then that would have piqued my interest, and if I was not on a tight budget, I might have spent Orbs on her. Since she is green, that pretty much kills my enthusiasm for her, just as how it killed my enthusiasm for NYOFAI!Fjorm, LOTW!Lyn, and to some extent GA!Lucina.

10 hours ago, Michelaar said:

Why do people think Lugh's base kit is bad, or at least underwhelming? He has a powercrept Rally skill plus a feint skill to go with it. Gronnserpent is not at all a bad tome either, and looking at his basekit, he'll be a fantastic magic tank. With that rally skill, there is like no way that he's dropping. Or they could make me happy and have 2 DEMOTES AGAIN!? PLEASE?

It is not terrible, but ranged tanks are kind of niche when you factor in melee tanks can do the same thing while still having similar or more stats than ranged tanks even if you give melee tanks Distant Counter. Gronnserpent is nice, but melee tanks are generally better and Gronnowl is better overall in my opinion.

Rally Up Res is an upgrade over Rally Resistance, but Res is something most units generally do not need, and if they do, Rally Def/Res is a better option as it buffs both defensive stats.

Atk Feint is pretty weak. Spending a turn just to debuff someone already makes it worse than Ploys. Sacrificing a turn and positioning is much more detrimental than just sacrificing positioning in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

yeah...this banner is definitely taking a backseat for me. Unfortunate, as I just found out Arthur's coming to FGO tonight and I need him.

He's also getting a tux next year if I'm not mistaken so good luck

I have a +Spd +1 brave Lyn so Sue is not that useful, though I wouldn't say no to double cavalry archers with Veronica for my cavalry team.

Lugh is nice but not crazy and I know that he will be gathering a lot of dust if I get him.

Thea is meh and I have already and a 5* Catria and 5 4* Cordelias waiting for her refine.

Now Idunn, I NEED HER SO BADLY she has vengeful fighter which is something many of my armors are missing also she weapon is very nice and she has a quite good A slot. Also she will be the last dragon I need for my armored dragon emblem (Tiki Grima Duma are the others) and her free C slot makes her a premium candidate for Armor march (when I finally get it).

Problem is that I am beyond broken (I must have a month or so to get my orbs above 20). Pair this with my horrible luck (at the same time I was  3.50 on Love abounds, 9.00 on L! Roy and 4.00 in the beat banner though I got a +Spd Velouria at the end) and with the reduction of the number of ftp orbs we get and I don't know if I can dream about her.

1 hour ago, redlight said:

Might just be me, but I feel that Echoes didn't need much thought put into making meaning that not much resources/money was put into it. There were new ideas, but a lot of the concepts, characters, maps, etc. were based upon on already existing game. All they needed to was just put some meat on the skeleton.

I'm not intimately familiar with the video game dev cycle, but I'd have to disagree. What you call meat on the skeleton was basically a complete rework of an incredibly dated game and system. Essentially all they retained were character names and the basic structure. They had to commission brand new art, hire VAs, hire writers to develop the characters, design the arts and dungeon systems (still super cool if could've been done a little better IMO), and then actually implement all of that. The only thing they might have been able to reuse was the existing FE 3DS engine which I'm not sure if they did or not. It did save them some design work upfront, what maps were structured like, the basic pacing, etc., but with how much changed it might as well have been a brand new game as far as development near as I can tell.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Female English voice actors have a tendency to sound both distinctively female and not young enough.

I find this a to be a problem even with Japanese voice actors though. Most just never actually sound young and/or like boys.

I honestly prefer what we have on the English side with Lugh as opposed to his Japanese voice. Plus, Lugh is 13 and that’s around the time when boys start getting deeper voices anyway so it’s not that strange for his voice to be the way it is.

4 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I kind of wish people that say they're not interested in units on a banner of a game they didn't play would just pick the older games and play them.  :)

They're great games.

Yes but playing the older games is easier said then done. Out of the older games only Blazing Sword, Stones and Shadow Dragon are easy to get a hold on. 

Binding Blade, Geneology and Tracia can't be played without emulation which is a great hindrance. Even if people desire to play those games they still need to have the technical skills required to dabble in emulation and the energy to sit down for it. Its a lot of investment. 

The Tellius games have their own problem of only being playable on hardware of two or even three generations ago and being quite expensive to boot. 

3 hours ago, Vince777 said:

I would love Genealogy+Thracia but Binding Blade seems like a more realistic project. 

Roy's Smash appeal gives that theory some weight behind it but I think it would be a bad move. Genealogy still has it fans and its an important, esteemed Fire Emblem game. Neither the fans nor the game deserve to be so openly snubbed. The went out of their way to remake Gaiden which very few people were asking for so it would be weird for them to skip a game that's much more requested as a possible remake. Now, I'm very glad they did Echoes but it wouldn't be a pretty picture if they gave attention to the Black sheep but not a game people actually wanted, especially now Heroes gave Geneology some more recognition. 

I recall an interview where the devs said that after the Archenea games it was simply Gaiden's turn for a remake. Given that logic its now simply Geneology's turn. First Archenea, then Valentia, then Jugdral and only then Elibe. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Roy's Smash appeal gives that theory some weight behind it but I think it would be a bad move. Genealogy still has it fans and its an important, esteemed Fire Emblem game. Neither the fans nor the game deserve to be so openly snubbed. The went out of their way to remake Gaiden which very few people were asking for so it would be weird for them to skip a game that's much more requested as a possible remake. Now, I'm very glad they did Echoes but it wouldn't be a pretty picture if they gave attention to the Black sheep but not a game people actually wanted, especially now Heroes gave Geneology some more recognition. 

I recall an interview where the devs said that after the Archenea games it was simply Gaiden's turn for a remake. Given that logic its now simply Geneology's turn. First Archenea, then Valentia, then Jugdral and only then Elibe. 

I would love for that to be true but what makes me doubt Jugdral will be tackled next is that it is very unconventional and tackles pretty mature and dark plot elements. 

This is clearly not the direction Fire Emblem has been going in the later entries and I question whether they wouldn't just rather take the much safer road of remaking a much less controversial game, like Binding Blade.

I mean, they've got to know that Genealogy will probably be a nightmare to localize and may even get maturity ratings that other FE games did not get. 

I would still love Jugdral to be re-made the most. Genealogy is such a great game and I really wish most could experience it. 

56 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

47 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I would love for that to be true but what makes me doubt Jugdral will be tackled next is that it is very unconventional and tackles pretty mature and dark plot elements. 

This is clearly not the direction Fire Emblem has been going in the later entries and I question whether they wouldn't just rather take the much safer road of remaking a much less controversial game, like Binding Blade.

I mean, they've got to know that Genealogy will probably be a nightmare to localize and may even get maturity ratings that other FE games did not get. 

I would still love Jugdral to be re-made the most. Genealogy is such a great game and I really wish most could experience it. 

Preferably I'd like to see FE4 and 5 remade next, but realistically I'm thinking FE6 will be remade next. Roy has that Smash appeal and the director of Echoes has said that the next game he's interested in remaking is FE6. So yeah, because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if FE6 was remade next.

49 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

On the other hand it seems the Heroes team has a preference for Genealogy. 

For a Japanese only game they get relatively many banners but the characters themselves also get a lot more love. There's no real dud in their character designs. Everyone has outfits that are beautifully drawn and richly detailed. 

Just compare Lewyn's blue robes and gold trimming to that bizarre imposer that's supposed to be FE7's Lloyd, or Julius bratty smirk to Fae's overly cartoony looks. So far it seems to genealogy artist either get a lot more resources or put a lot more work into their designs. 

Not that what the Heroes team does really affects the final decision but I see the repeated high quality as a sign FE4 has some fans within IS.

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

For a Japanese only game they get relatively many banners but the characters themselves also get a lot more love. There's no real dud in their character designs. Everyone has outfits that are beautifully drawn and richly detailed. 

Just compare Lewyn's blue robes and gold trimming to that bizarre imposer that's supposed to be FE7's Lloyd, or Julius bratty smirk to Fae's overly cartoony looks. So far it seems to genealogy artist either get a lot more resources or put a lot more work into their designs. 

Not that what the Heroes team does really affects the final decision but I see the repeated high quality as a sign FE4 has some fans within IS.

That gives me hope they'll do Patty justice if she's ever added tbh :P

18 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

...crap. Now I really need to get The One True King...sorry, Feh, but my money just went elsewhere hardcore.

If you miss him now, he'll get another banner when his tux is released.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, FE4 had the thing in which so many units were legit broken combat-wise that anything less would be a truly sore sticking point. So that's why Ayra, Sigurd, Lewyn, and Ares get broken weapons.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

This is optimistic on my part (well, not really for my own sake, as I don't actually care about either character) but both Lugh and Thea could plausibly demote, IMO. Neither of them have good fodder and both have all of the hallmarks of a demotion.

Lugh has much more noteworthy fodder than Thea. In particular, Lugh has three types of skills (Serpent tome, Rally Up skill, and Feint skill) that have always been 5* exclusive so far, while Thea has none. Also Lugh will be one of the first 5 units to have Gen 3 infantry stats. I don't think their situations are very close.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

This seems kind of unfair. Lloyd's art is plenty good, just too different from his base art for fans' liking. I've shown plenty of people who never played 7 his art and they all liked it. Same for Fae. To say that more effort was put into Julius's more conventional look than Fae's more cartoony look is just trying to frame a preference for one art style over another as less subjective. I'm not overly fond of Lloyd's art for reasons stated, but it's plenty good in and of itself. As for Fae's, I like it because one, it's nice, and two, it fits her personality, bright, bubbly, and fun.

If I were to pick bad art, the only one that really comes to mind would be Hot Springs Camilla, and even that accomplishes its goal of T&A (I can't actually emphasize that text as much as I'd like without going to like 72 font size). It just does so in a ridiculously clumsy way and at the expense of every other aspect of the design to me.

As a fan of FE6, I do like this banner and characters but Idunn is really the only "hype" inclusion for me.

Ideally I'd have rather had Dieck instead of Rutger and Guinevere or Miledy instead of Thea. Now that would've gotten me scrambling for orbs. Lugh is a character I like but that artstyle is really bad imo, it's also why I never used Raigh despite him being one of my favourites from FE6. And Sue is great but I don't really need her.

I'd love to see another FE6 banner this year, I'd personally make it Guinevere (blue), Echidna (green), Dieck (red), and Elphin (staff refresher?), Murdock or Brunnya GHB and maybe Wolt TT reward?

Though a better idea imo would be to start doing multi-game banners again. That way every game can theoretically get new characters throughout the year.

13 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I still don't understand the statement. Who says being in the minority means anything special for FEH? I see most people decrying any and all complaints as 'vocal minority' for everything. All I saw were people who wanted an FE6 banner because it had had no love. There isn't really a majority anything in this game. Even Fates fans don't make up the majority. Maybe waifu fans, but who knows? Everyone just wants their piece of the game and only certain people seem to get that (namely those who are fans of Fates Royals and those who are fans of waifus). The rest just have to hope that their game and characters get noticed at all... and when they do, hope their character might get in. 

I'd be far more happy with this banner if I didn't think it was the only chance of characters like Perceval getting in. Now they've missed it and the banner is pretty lacklustre, what chance have we got of another FE6 banner over something else? Same with Thracia… and maybe others. Especially once Three Houses gets released and they have another newly released game they can ride to death. 

Edit: That being said, in revenue terms, there will likely be games better. But only focussing on a few runs the risk of turning those away who are the 'minority' but there's the chance they're the 'minority' for different games. I mean, how many votes did so many minor characters get altogether? I feel there has to be a way they can release less popular characters and still make money from the popular ones, but they don't ever seem to get the balance right, it seems. Oh well -.- Maybe one day they'll release an influx of less popular characters and then coast on alts of popular ones or something -.- 

And I'm the guy who wants Wallace over Nils. How likely is that going to happen?

Point is, I never said being in the minority in FEH means anything special but there's a mindset being in the minority makes it special in other subjects. Not I haven't seen this mindset in this thread before.

If you read my original comment to Florete than you know I'm already agreeing what you're saying.

12 minutes ago, Coolmanio said:

STATS

Spoiler

I'm somewhat surprised they're almost exactly what I expected.

Thea's probably farthest from my expectations as I was expecting more Atk and less Res, but this is okay, too.

EDIT: @Coolmanio Wanna drop a datamine marker on the title so we can talk without spoilers?

Edited by Ice Dragon

Spoiler

Rutger's skills are apparently Slaying Edge, Vengeance, Atk/Def Bond, and Vantage.  The latter two seem totally mismatched to his character and how he functions as a unit in FE6...I wish he'd gotten Atk/Def Solo instead. 

8 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:
  Hide contents

Rutger's skills are apparently Slaying Edge, Vengeance, Atk/Def Bond, and Vantage.  The latter two seem totally mismatched to his character and how he functions as a unit in FE6...I wish he'd gotten Atk/Def Solo instead. 

People used to support Rutger with Clarine and Dieck to turn him into a crit god

11 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

People used to support Rutger with Clarine and Dieck to turn him into a crit god

Spoiler

In which case he should have been given Def/Spd Bond since neither of those supports grant Atk. 

I was expecting/hoping for something like Flashing Blade or even Wrath, so I guess I'm just a little disappointed.  At least his art is really good and stats serviceable. 

21 minutes ago, DLNarshen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

In which case he should have been given Def/Spd Bond since neither of those supports grant Atk. 

I was expecting/hoping for something like Flashing Blade or even Wrath, so I guess I'm just a little disappointed.  At least his art is really good and stats serviceable. 

Spoiler

Pretty much my feelings exactly. Was hoping that or Special Spiral given how sweet Panne's skills were to replicate his 100% crit rate. But eh, maybe I'll murder one of him for Sharena to get Atk/Def Bond since I flubbed that on that spare Fjorm I got pre-Askr refinements.

I generally don't bitch about F2P units, but it really feels like they did Rutger dirty. Given his popularity, it really feels like not only should he have been a banner unit, but he should've been a costar. Basically something like Karla with 5 more defense and a kit more like personal weapon that's essentially Wo Dao + QP2, Moonbow or Glimmer, Swift Sparrow, Special Spiral, and whatever else. He's not terrible, just will definitely not stand out.

Edited by bottlegnomes