Japanese box art revealed + special edition details.

Lief

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I hope that they decide the NA Special Edition boxart isn't actually final. That looks so much nicer than our white text on plain black background actual game case, and their outer packaging makes ours look like a joke. I also like JP's steel case more, though ours having the crest stuff isn't as annoying to me as the other aspects.

Edited by alatartheblue42

Nice to see the music from the first trailer return in both of these tracks. The second one sounds pretty similar to what we've heard in Awakening/Fates, especially at the beginning, but it's too early to take it as a sign that the game won't have its own musical style.

Box art is cool, though if anyone had hopes of F!Byleth's design changing (I didn't), it pretty much crushes them since she's on it.

Edited by Kori

I can't check that site right now due to work but if it's the same boxart as on reddit, I'm not very fond of it. Why is Claude upside down? It looks like photoshopping of official art you'd see on Deviantart. 

Looking forward to listening to the music though; the first trailer song was dope. 

Yaaay new stuff!

The box art looks... cheap, somehow. I like the idea, but it doesn't seem to work in practice. The special edition is much better, though.

I think it might be the worst box art ever out of all FE games.

Too many colours that clash with each other. Claude is upside down for some reason? Putting both male and female Byleth on the cover throws off any previous attempt at composition. The whole thing is just really crowded and claustrophobic with too many things trying to grab your attention at the same time.

If I didn't know about the FE franchise and saw this cover art, I'd assume it's some low budget indie game.  (But actual low budget indie games still have better cover arts)

Edited by zuibangde

That is really ugly. Wow. 

On the other hand, the special edition and... Fodlan edition look really good. I hope they go with that artwork of the 3 lords overlooking the monastery for the standard NA box art.

The art direction seems to be all over the place for this game, like some pieces are very serious and set an epic tone, then they go with the most ridiculous fanart looking cover design. Hope this doesn't say anything about what the story is like.

The music doesn't really seem special which is a shame. I'm tired of sung theme songs and the battle music isn't too exciting.

I'm glad they're starting to show more about the game even if it's not exactly to my liking.

46 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I think it might be the worst box art ever out of all FE games.

Too many colours that clash with each other. Claude is upside down for some reason? Putting both male and female Byleth on the cover throws off any previous attempt at composition. The whole thing is just really crowded and claustrophobic with too many things trying to grab your attention at the same time.

If I didn't know about the FE franchise and saw this cover art, I'd assume it's some low budget indie game.  (But actual low budget indie games still have better cover arts)

Agreed. The steel book and special edition cover look fantastic, so that's good.

But good lord that main box art. So, for starters, the entire bottom half is purple. Which is fine, because it sort of matches the Byleths. And it works thematically, because you have Edelgard with red on the right, and Dmitri with blue on the left. Ok.

But then Claude is randomly upside down and bright yellow. Just.... why?

Why is he upside down in the main art too? Seriously?

I know I have bad taste, but I kind of like it overall personally..?

I REALLY appreciate F.Byleth being featured on the cover too instead of just M.Byleth. It's very common for games with selectable protagonists to only feature the male version on the cover, and both trailers we've seen have been incredibly male Byleth-centric so I was fearing it'd be the same here.

Honestly, I'd have been perfectly fine if neither Byleth appeared on the cover, but since they do, I really appreciated it's both of them.

Regarding the rest, upside down Claude is unfortunate I admit. The fact that Dimitri and Edelgard are still mainly straight makes it even more jarring. But besides that, I like the colors personally and while I certainly wouldn't call the cover a great one, on the whole I like it?

Edit: Thumbs up for the music as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Ayra

5 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

the battle music isn't too exciting.

It's an early game map theme; I think it does it's job.

...Anyways:

>Way too many colors all over the place-- you got the blacks of the uniforms but the other colors look even brighter and then there's the glowing background which is ???

>Why is Claude upside down and why is the lowest part of his bow seemingly disconnected and off to the side?

>Dimitri looks like he has no pupils at all.

>The perspective makes Edelgard's axe look funky and really small.

>For the characters that have pupils, they're still tiny and dead-eyed looking (granted, that's been a persistent part of the art)

20 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's an early game map theme; I think it does it's job.

Eeehhh I'm not willing to make excuses when we have early game map themes that sound like this:

This new piece sounds more like battle preparations. 

^ Frankly, it sounds pretty good to me, no excuses needed. I admittedly did not expect it to be a map theme when we heard it in the trailer, but the extension works way better in that regard.

In other news, I have no idea what they're doing with Garreg Mach monastery. There are inconsistencies between all of the artwork pieces we got, somehow.

I'm tempted to go full-blown Graphic Design analytical but I'll just contribute one of my big grips with the boxart design. 

While I appreciate the dynamic composition, it makes the cover feel HEAVY like Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are weighing down the overall structure of the cover. Also to note, the fact that they're positioned seemingly forward of the two Byleths based on the perspective, Claude's position feels weird because if all the characters are intended to be in the same space and time, his pose doesn't feel natural. Like, cinematically, it feels like the making of this shot involved the three house leaders running up, striking a pose, but somehow Claude was able to perfectly pull off a back flip or something with his weapon ready. Am I overthinking it? Probably, but art and design school makes you too analytical (but a better bullshitter). 

Usually Fire Emblem boxart covers are clever in their design about the underlying themes of the game and although the same could be said about Fire Emblem Three Houses, it doesn't feel as... Together as I'd like it to feel. But if anything, this makes me interested in playing the game ever more to see if there's more context to the design choices that I wouldn't otherwise pick up without playing the game. 

The JP boxart is......a thing. I'll probably fiddle with Photoshop later and see if i can come up with a better version of the boxart. The SE boxart looks gorgeous though. Really wish that was the main artstyle of the game. The music samples are also nice and while it's not definitive of the soundtrack as a whole, i think it'll turn out great. FE has a had good music record in recent games.

5 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

Damn, I hope that they decide the NA Special Edition boxart isn't actually final. That looks so much nicer than our white text on plain black background actual game case, and their outer packaging makes ours look like a joke. I also like JP's steel case more, though ours having the crest stuff isn't as annoying to me as the other aspects.

Considering that the NA SE boxart doesn't seem to be a placeholder, unfortunately, it's very likely that this is the boxart we're getting. A shame but i don't get special editions to begin with so it's not that much of a loss for me.

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Considering that the NA SE boxart doesn't seem to be a placeholder, unfortunately, it's very likely that this is the boxart we're getting. A shame but i don't get special editions to begin with so it's not that much of a loss for me.

Oh, I know; its almost certainly what we're actually getting. But I can always pointlessly hope they'll decide to switch.

Even if the standard boxart is far from the greatest art ever made, I'd still much prefer it over the current NA plain white text on plain black background that has no connection to the series or game in any way shape or form except the title (which I'm still salty about), the slightly fancier than Times New Roman font, and potentially a vague metaphor about the stark contrast between pure white on pure black or something. Do I know why Claude is upside down, other than needing to be on the cover with his weapon in the middle and no other spots being open? Not in the slightest. Has the character art style grown tremendously on me? Not really. But at least it has some sort of connection to the game.

Now, if we had the NA special edition outer box art as the standard case, then I'd be pretty ok with it. The gold on black is kinda nice, and it has the (or one of the) crest(s) on it, so its not entirely isolated from its actual contents. I still have bad taste, so I'd probably prefer the JP case, but it'd be infinitely superior to the current NA one that I've been ranting about.

And then I see the outer box for JPs special edition again, and wonder why they couldn't just use something like that for all the cases in question; I freaking love it.

3 minutes ago, alatartheblue42 said:

Even if the standard boxart is far from the greatest art ever made, I'd still much prefer it over the current NA plain white text on plain black background that has no connection to the series or game in any way shape or form except the title (which I'm still salty about), the slightly fancier than Times New Roman font, and potentially a vague metaphor about the stark contrast between pure white on pure black or something.

Oh you didn't link to that the first time. The first time, you linked to the NA SE itself and i assumed you were talking about that. Yeah, the current NA standard boxart is absolutely a placeholder. 

To be honest I like the boxart. Yeah Claude being upside down is a little silly but Fire Emblem itself isn't the type of game to take super seriously so it fits with the tone. Granted Fates, Echoes, and #FE all have better boxart but I still think this is good in its own right.

There are two details on the box art, that I find quite interesting but that kinda contradict each other:

• Dimitri and Eldegard are both on a more defensive position, while Claude seems to be on the attack (I think?), which could indicate that he's more aggressive than the others in some way. Perhaps tactically speaking?
  • On the other hand, Claude being upside down and in the middle of the other two could be because he'll stand between them (like a neutral party), or literally because he has a different perspective on the whole deal.

The fact that the junction between the three weapons shines right above Byleth could also mean something too.

Edited by Sushi_Cat