Surprisingly Good Characters

jameslove001

My question comes from a combination of having to use two characters for Arena Bonuses that I never planned to use, and an earlier thread (sorry on my iPhone and can’t link) about which characters had the best intitial skill sets/required least investment. 

Which characters have you been surprised by how good (or if you want to gripe how bad!) they are? It can be because you trained them, or you had to use them for a bonus or were grinding Hero Merit and discovered them by surprise.

My two are Walhart and Velouria. This is mainly because I played the two Telos games and not much more, soI didn’t know them. Both were Arena bonus characters the last month or so and I have really enjoyed how easy they are to use in teams that I am only using for two week cycles. Who has been that way for you?

I think Surtr is pretty crap because he is so slow movement wise, and like any armor units, he is a free kill if I see him on the defense team, so I was a bit surprised when a lot of players have trouble dealing with him in Aether Raids.

I wasn't planning to like Lolizura as much as I did~ I figured she'd be my go-to Green Dancer, but lately, she's my go-to Dancer, period in the place of Silvia who served that role before. She's just so good with her Tome as an Offensive Refresher~

Panne. She’s my favorite Awakening gal but when she first came I was underwhelmed by her stats and weapon plus lack of IV’s to take advantage of, so I thought her performance would be crap without some heavy investment (which I was fine with doing but it would have been inconvenient) not to mention she was another blue when I already had Nailah and Naesala so my beast team would be lacking in color diversity.

I was sooo wrong. Slapped LnD on her, and thanks to being in a beast team, she gets a free +3 to all stats except atk where she gets +5 making her stat spread essentially 43/53/44/29/21 (43/57/44/33/25 on PP thanks to the free Sturdy Impact effect) which let’s her hit hard and fast while still managing to be deceptively bulky and any cavalry is pretty much a OHKO thanks to her effectiveness.

I gotta say Est. She was one of my least favorite pulls in the entire game, despite me liking her character from Echoes. Plus I’ve always been fond of “Magikarp” units, which Heroes doesn’t really manage to pull off.

But one night something possessed me and I decided to “all-in” on Est due to her prf weapon and generally good statline. Swift Sparrow, Defense Ploy, Hit and Run, Glimmer. Since then she has been an absolute monster whenever she’s on my Flier Emblem teams. If it’s not a bulky green unit (and sometimes when it is) it dies. Period. She’s pretty amazing, especially when she has team support. 

Marisa! She’s been a part of my main team since right after she was introduced and she does an amazing job even though she doesn’t have the typical high atk/spd of the insane infantry swords. She’s deceptively bulky especially when you add in her high atk stat and I have never regretted feeding her the only brave Ike I’ve ever pulled. 

Mathilda and Titania also come to mind personally. Both do very well on one of my horse teams.

Legendary Lyn. When she was revealed, in my head I thought she wasn't gonna be good because of her weapon type and coloring, despite her being my favorite character in the franchise. But now I have her merges maxed at +10 and she's completely WRECKED a whole freakin' lot of very powerful units in multiple game modes, including +10 Surtrs in Arena. She's also been incredibly handy against very prominent threats like blue Reinhardt, Legendary Lucina, and Legendary Azura, especially in Aether Raids.

My next choice is Est. I've always liked Est as a character, but never really cared for her as a unit. I thought the same of her in Heroes. But I've actually been using her ever since she got her refine, and I've found that she's actually surprisingly very good. I've given her a couple merges and a little skill inheritance, and that's made her even better!

I would also say Legendary Lyn.  Somehow the word got around she was garbage/crap and it really stuck, just look at all the Find and Vote complaints.  She is a great mixed phase unit and her weapon and A skill do a lot to make her decent stat spread stand out.  

It's hard for me to mention many since I do way too much theorycrafting for things to fly by my radar easily, but I do have two that surprised me, for different reasons.

I terms of combat performance, Eir. She is now easily my second most feared Aether Raids enemy unit since she takes so little damage from dragons and prevents follow-ups while having deceptively high offensive stats due to Lyfjaberg's effect plus the dagger debuff if she gets danced. I'd switch out a dragon for a physical armor, but Surtr is vulnerable to the very common Axebreaker.

In terms of "I can't believe I'm still making this much use of this unit", it's definitely Eldigan. He's still the linchpin of my Aether Raids anchor team, and I don't see myself replacing him anytime in the foreseeable future. Double Fury on top of a Slaying weapon is just ridiculously good.

Kaden. He seems more useful on paper. In the end he’s honestly not that great. I can’t say what it is off the top of my head.

Luke and Merric: I believed every unit has a use. These two? Dear gosh. I tried a bit to think of something helpful. Even gave Luke a silver sword to see if his brave sword was hiding better stats. NOPE. Foddered my only copy onto Lon’qu in case he ever needs a brave sword. It’s very rare I do this to a 5 star exclusive I only have one copy of. If I do, it’s basically been planned before pulling each time. I’m keeping my Merric. Can’t think of a dang use for him though. His stat allocation makes him mediocre or subpar for anything you can put him at. Trying to alter his stats to fit a role usually winds up with a worse stat allocation of some other character. His reliance on his refine means he’s useless in some teams. His weapon’s res targeting WITH flier effectiveness is unique to him. Unfortunately he’s not likely to double in current speed meta and he definitely doesn’t have the attack to one-shot. Especially if the flier isn’t blue. He does chip damage on most people. He kills Hardin on initiation though - definitely an odd moment. He can’t use blades nor tank reliably to focus on special damage. Even then his stats are too low for significant special damage. He’s one unit I really wouldn’t mind getting an alt. He could get new voice acting from Yuri to sound a bit more different from Marth like what happened with LAwood. Though that’s a different matter.

Bath Camilla. Initially, I wrote her off as a joke since F2Pers already have Eir. However, Bath Camilla can actually use blessing boosts, making her great as a mobile (since she flies) AR tank when equipped with Iote's Shield and CC; with Iote's Shield equipped, Camilla has no weaknesses aside from Raventomes (which aren't very common) and Firesweep/Dazzling Staff units can still attack into her for free though that's a problem practically every unit faces so it's hardly much of a weakness at all. This pretty much makes combat encounters largely a comparison of stats.

1 hour ago, Arcphoenix said:

Kaden. He seems more useful on paper. In the end he’s honestly not that great. I can’t say what it is off the top of my head.

Luke and Merric: I believed every unit has a use. These two? Dear gosh. I tried a bit to think of something helpful. Even gave Luke a silver sword to see if his brave sword was hiding better stats. NOPE. Foddered my only copy onto Lon’qu in case he ever needs a brave sword. It’s very rare I do this to a 5 star exclusive I only have one copy of. If I do, it’s basically been planned before pulling each time. I’m keeping my Merric. Can’t think of a dang use for him though. His stat allocation makes him mediocre or subpar for anything you can put him at. Trying to alter his stats to fit a role usually winds up with a worse stat allocation of some other character. His reliance on his refine means he’s useless in some teams. His weapon’s res targeting WITH flier effectiveness is unique to him. Unfortunately he’s not likely to double in current speed meta and he definitely doesn’t have the attack to one-shot. Especially if the flier isn’t blue. He does chip damage on most people. He kills Hardin on initiation though - definitely an odd moment. He can’t use blades nor tank reliably to focus on special damage. Even then his stats are too low for significant special damage. He’s one unit I really wouldn’t mind getting an alt. He could get new voice acting from Yuri to sound a bit more different from Marth like what happened with LAwood. Though that’s a different matter.

Merric occasionally finds his way into my teams. I'm not a avid arena player, but my +speed Merric puts in a good amount of work during ingame stuff like GHB's and stuff. His speed is easy to increase to a very good level and his -1 cooldown can help him increase his damage output to a good amount.

As for surprisingly good units? I've grown to appreciate Seliph a lot more now that he's my project. People where feeling down on his refine, but the ability to cheat death has come in handy several times for me.

New year Corrin also has carved out a solid niche for himself. His stats are nothing special with a bit too many points in speed and defense being his only noteworthy stat. Still that defense combined with bowbreaker makes him excellent as a bow counter and his starting kit makes him a great defensive cheerleader. Giving +8 def/res is pretty nice and seals can make him buff his allies even more. He doesn't have a easy time finding a spot on my teams, but he needs almost no investment and can give some good results.

Not that I thought she'd be bad, but Bow Hinoka seemed to be written off as not that amazing when she came out due to her attack and defense not being the best for dealing with DC armors at the time.

As time's gone on, I've just seen her get better and better, especially with AR. Armors and fliers are both common in AR and she's a great pick to help handle both types of teams, while also giving an extra +3 attack buff to her allies. She's like a complete package of support and countering some common threats, not unlike how Summer Micaiah's double effectiveness + dancing has made her so helpful in the mode. Plus, Sturdy Impact came out and complements her perfectly, shoring up her defense while also denying Vengeful Fighter/QR on the armors she wants to be able to deal with. (If I can get a Tibarn he's totally being foddered for her) She also makes a good AR defense unit on flier teams for the same reasons.

The other is Bath Camilla. Even though I like Camilla, I didn't think this one would be anything but a worse Eir that you can merge easier, nor would her weapon be that worthwhile. But turns out instant Icebergs with her native dagger + QP have been very fun and powerful to play around with. I could even one shot some Dumas during her AR bonus season that way. Not to mention she can make a potent colorless tank that's better than Eir for AR due to blessing buffs if you want to use her that way. Didn't think she'd be anything notable but she's got some surprisingly strong uses.

Clive! Just give him QR2, Bonfire, and maybe a Def refine on his lance and he's all set to wreck some chumps

On 3/9/2019 at 9:35 PM, Rezzy said:

People have put Titania pretty low on Tier lists, but I've found her pretty useful with a DC set-up.

I can't count how many GC matches I've had where I've parked your Titania somwhere and watched the entire enemy team die against her, while she maintains full health. With how common and dangerous blue armors, dragons, and mages are, she's invaluable. Helps that I run Hrid and Gunnthra with her so she'll get that Wind Blessing boost alongside all the other buffs

8 minutes ago, Johann said:

Clive! Just give him QR2, Bonfire, and maybe a Def refine on his lance and he's all set to wreck some chumps

I can't count how many GC matches I've had where I've parked your Titania somwhere and watched the entire enemy team die against her, while she maintains full health. With how common and dangerous blue armors, dragons, and mages are, she's invaluable. Helps that I run Hrid and Gunnthra with her so she'll get that Wind Blessing boost alongside all the other buffs

That's nice to hear.  I forgot if GC units got the blessing bonus or not.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

That's nice to hear.  I forgot if GC units got the blessing bonus or not.

Players do as long as they're all in the starting line-up together. I don't think the opponents get them at all.

3 hours ago, Tree said:

Dorcas' survivability has surprised me on multiple occasions.

@Rezzy Is Titania of the Greil mercenaries available for hire for the next grand conquest? (friend request)

Sure, my code is 9224438060, let me know your lead and name, so I can accept your request.  (Also, quote or mention me in this thread, so I don't miss it.)

I hope they increase the friend limit again soon.  I feel bad leaving all these rando requests just sitting there.

1 minute ago, Tree said:

OK, request sent. Name is Tree and lead is Dorcas. Thanks

Accepted, that's a lot of Dorcas