Surprisingly Good Characters

jameslove001

Fallen!Takumi may be derided as just "Takumi with more res" (who in turn is skmply derided because people love to engage in Schadenfreude and exageration.), but I have found his more mixed defenses and pretty decent speed to be useful more than a few times. He is my current +10 project and  is starting to look like a non-armoured Halloween Jakob.

People are often down on Palla's refine because she retains having a TA weapon, but honestly there's so many threatening, tanky greens running around and the brave effect on initiation without a speed dump makes her an extremely valuable part of my flier team comp. She can run Fury and a multitude of B skills (currently I have Escape Route), your pick of flier buff, and I stuck a Brazen Atk/Def seal in her seal slot, making her a potent threat once Fury wittles her health down while she enjoys +6 to str/speed/def/res in combat when parked near other fliers, on top of a ward, goad, fortify and/or hone. She was a key part of my strategy for clearing Abyssal Michalis and Abyssal Narcian. If I'm not running Flier Emblem, I have other red fliers who are more flexible like Summer Tana, Laegjarn or Elincia, but Palla's Whitewing Blade has put a smile on my face thus far.

Cecilia is also a great budget unit to invest in for Aether Raids. She has solid counterpick potential in running TA Gronnraven against some of the more common blues and colourless ranged units.

Young Azura as others have said is one of the most reliable dancers in the game. Her res and speed when parked with an ally is actually solid. Probably one of the best free units IS has given out.

Any healer who runs Dazzling Pain+ or Gravity+ and double savage blow is a great asset. I honestly believe everyone should build at least one. Azama may have one of the worst attack stats in the game but he can run the standard healer harrassment build.

Edited by Samias

5 hours ago, Samias said:

Any healer who runs Dazzling Pain+ or Gravity+ and double savage blow is a great asset. I honestly believe everyone should build at least one. Azama may have one of the worst attack stats in the game but he can run the standard healer harrassment build.

His attack is bad enough that you can put Fortress skills/seals on him and regret nothing.

I think Robin and Joshua are both my surprisingly good characters. Robin especially after the Flaw issue was taken care of. Before that he had a flaw in speed which was just killer to his survivability even with quick riposte, but sitting at 36 speed now (thanks dragonflowers) and 28 res (34 with Blarserpent) and 42 def (48 with Blarserpent), he can pretty much hold his own. Robin can take care of colorless/red/blue and some green physical units.

Joshua works great paired with Robin as the green tome killer with his killer resistance and distant counter. Plus his speed is insane (39), and with Close Def he can counter dragons easily and take a physical hit. And he can pretty much kill green/colorless/red. 

So together they tag team everything. It also helps Robin is +10 and Joshua is +7. 

Palla, without a doubt

given how arena's been working lately, her support/cheerleader set (chill def, drive spd and drive atk) works perfectly for my playstyle and my arena team in general (paula, ares: tactic bot; soren: chill atk and spd, drive spd and drive def)

i was super disappointed when i first saw her personal weapon, but eventually i found it very very useful, mostly for weakening surtr, as she can easily bring him out of wary fighter's range by baiting him (and she can take sinmara's effect very well, given her very high hp stat, thanks to her r duel flying too), but she can also weaken red units in general, being fast enough to not get double attacked while also not double attacking

also she's damn gorgeous (thank you cuboon)

definitely THE staple of my arena team

Edited by Yexin

I like using mCorrin as my generalist. With +spd on his refine it gives him a massive amount to this stat total. When I get my hand on Null Follow-Up, I'm planning to give it to him for fighting those pesky armor units and dragons.

My two characters here are Selena and Default!Lissa.
At first, I was put off by Selena's crappy Atk stat. Then I gave her Atk/Def Bond and the Close Defense skills...it's a wonder just how tanky she is, and it was really surprising to me that Atk/Def Bond was enough to give her a good damage output. She's faced quite a lot of enemies that were completely walled by her, and she's become one of my favorite Enemy Phase units today.
Lissa, however, was one done very long ago, near the beginning of Heroes. However, even though I started investing in her very long ago, her story is similar to Selena's. Lissa is a deciptively strong unit, making use of her high balanced defenses in a Close Counter/Pain+ kit. She's even better with Brazen Def/Res and Miracle, making her a safe offensive OR defesive pick as a Healer not just for Arena, but for Aether Raids as well. I still remember the time when I completely walled a Camilla in Arena (which just goes to show how terrible Camilla is).

My gripe would have to be with Rebecca. She just can't do much of anything no matter what I give her. Her best set is a Res-refined Distant Def 9 set with Glacies, Quick Riposte, and Atk Smoke, but no matter what I do with her she just doesn't survive anything. I get that her HP kinda sucks, but this is a fully defensive set! What gives?

Edited by MilodicMellodi

21 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

My gripe would have to be with Rebecca. She just can't do much of anything no matter what I give her. Her best set is a Res-refined Distant Def 9 set with Glacies, Quick Riposte, and Atk Smoke, but no matter what I do with her she just doesn't survive anything. I get that her HP kinda sucks, but this is a fully defensive set! What gives?

A fully defensive set does not mean much if it is not used against the right foes or if the unit simply does not have the right stats. Assuming +Res and +10, Rebecca can reach 55 Res, but only 43 Def. And I do not think there is a best defensive set since different nukes require different skills to tank.

With 55 Res, Rebecca should have no trouble walling most non-Blade and non-Blazing mages. She is fully capable of tanking Reinhardt and Lilina (as long as she is not triggering a Special). Blade mages will simply overwhelm her Res by doubling her with 85+ Atk, while Blazing mages like Ophelia can partially ignore invisible stats so Rebecca does not actually have 55 Res when she is hit with a Blazing trigger. A simple adjustment by running Fort Def/Res and Fortress Res allows her to tank Ophelia.

43 Def is abysmally low for an Enemy Phase unit. The best Firesweep archers can kill her with Moonbow-Flashing Blade. Tanking Brave archers is out of the question.

Edited by XRay

Oboro [+Res] took me by surprise to be honest. Sure she's +10 and sure she has double Close Def 3 and Warding Breath, but I wasn't expecting her to be as tanky as it turns out she can be. Armors go down effortlessly, dragons aren't really able to touch her that easily (and die to 51 Def powered Ignis), and everything else only manages to weaken her, occasionally dying to Ignis.

Kinda glad I accidentally +10ed her now.