chill post this time, open world / Dungeon exploring Fire Emblem?

How would you feel about an Open World / Dungeon crawling Three Houses?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel about an Open World / Dungeon crawling Three Houses?

• Really good
    • Good
    • Mehmehmeh
    • Bad
    • Really bad
    • I don't know
  2. 2. Open World or Dungeon crawling? Which do you think would be best?

• Open World
    • (just) Dungeon crawling
  3. 3. And what do you think will happen?

• Open World
    • (just) Dungeon crawling
    • Neither

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/25/2019 at 11:00 PM

Fire-Emblem-Three-Houses_2019_03-08-19_004.jpg

Bottom right does not look like Garrech Mach Monastery.

I feel it would act a lot like FE Echoes' dungeons.

Best possibility for the game in my opinion would be open world but I doubt it. But (!) they did spend an obscene amount of time on the game.

Edited by Emblemier Ben

I would like to see a SoV style game with more open world and dungeon segments as it would be a great way to help expand the scope of the series and sense of scale to different scenarios and the world at large. I really enjoyed the chapterless narrative of SoV and felt that was a much better fit over the mixed style of Awakening and Fates(minus Conquest) of both chapters and open world. I like having the world map as it helps to provide a sense of scale and progression to the world, but being able to actually walk around certain locations like towns, castles, forts, forests, etc would be a great experience.

"Dungeon crawling" could be a great way of really enriching the experience of even like storming a fort as we could literally make our way through several fights going room to room, floor to floor rather than just have a single map/battle that encompass all of it in one go. Or fleeing in forest having to actually run through a winding forest escaping the enemy and quickly trying to resolve small fights that you run into. The major issue/caveat to all that though is grinding. While I like freely traversing a world map and dungeons, especially in SoV, the ease of grinding really kills the game and saps all challenge from things as it becomes effortless to over level and make certain units really OP even if you don't go out of your way to do so.

They need to find a way to limit effortless EXP grinding. What I would like to see is a two tier battle system where story battles operate as they always have with any action or kill rewarding units with EXP, but then outside of those fixed/mandated story battles all others would only offer small amounts of Bonus EXP for the player to distribute as they like. The amount of Bonus EXP could be dependent on performance and clearing certain battle challenges, maybe other rewards too like Gold or items. If balanced\scaled right this would still provide an incentive and reward for skirmishes but wouldn't be enough or easy enough to just break the game. By limiting the Bonus EXP to a rather small amount it could be useful for helping to keep underused or harder to level units inline with your core units, but not enough to be able to really beef up your whole party. At least without the player really going out of their way to farm EXP, which at that point is their choice.

Open world doesn't fit FE. I don't think it would be possible to make a game where you're playing as nobles of the ruling families during a world war where you can freely wander around if you want the war to actually be taken seriously. If there's a game like that that exists I'd love to see how it pulls this off. 

Also, since FE is still a tactical RPG, I struggle to picture how that would work in an open world setting. I imagine a big world like BotW interrupted every time there's an enemy, basically SoV's dungeons blown up huge, and that isn't really appealing to me. SoV's dungeons were tolerable but they weren't very long, I imagine having a huge world built like that would get tiring fast.

What I do hope for is explorable areas aside from the monastery. I'd love to have some towns we can roam around and do different activities in, take on sidequests, etc. If the monastery really is our base only for the first part of the game, like some people speculate, then maybe that's exactly how we'll access all the training and support options in the later parts of the story, by going into towns, forts, etc.

Edited by Book Bro

Dungeon Crawling is bound to happen in way. At first i liked it in Echoes, but in the end it was more grinding ground than anything. In Three Houses, i really hope that Dungeons would be more like side quest or really limited map (conquest-like), rather than falsy limited grinding ground.

Would not be against an Open World in the future, but i don't think IntSys is ready for that in Fire Emblem.

Guest nanashi

Don't think dungeon crawling is necessary as you already have the school. Also between training students and doing missions I am not sure where dungeons will fit in. 

If dungeons do return, I hope they finally fix the running. In Echoes, when you wanted to stop you would have to wait a few moments before finally stopping; as well as hard to turn. Its like driving a car. Also, hopefully they make dungeons a bit more complicated and interesting to explore because prior to Act 4, the dungeons were really straight forward. I'm not expecting a Legend of Zelda, but at least more complex dungeons to explore

Open world means that most maps can be done in any order and units can join in any order, wich in fe is exploitable to hell and back. You can recruit the best unit and grow them into godmode while the enemies are still weak(because an open world FE need to have level scaling otherwise you are shoeshorned into doing thing in order and the world isn't open anymore.) For example.

Edited by Flere210

I don't see open world with this game. 

Although, as difficult as could be to make work, I would not be wholly opposed to an open world FE. Actually, I'd be a proponent for it. But it'd need to be a dedicated spinoff with plenty of passion and careful reorientation of FE's SRPG core. And one would have to do something other than royalty/nobility, I'm thinking Roma (derogatorily "gypsies") for the protagonists.

Open world with a full army sounds bizarre, one would have to slash the human count. One is too few for FE, at least three, upwards of five sounds feasible. But that still doesn't sound very FE, so you'd have to create an army you could drag around with ease, which sounds like something Einherjar could do. The three-five core humans can each summon a number of Einherjar to battle, for whom death would have a cost, if not permadeath right away. And lose Einherjar in battle and the humans, for whom death has a higher toll, would be rendered more vulnerable.

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't see open world with this game. 

Although, as difficult as could be to make work, I would not be wholly opposed to an open world FE. Actually, I'd be a proponent for it. But it'd need to be a dedicated spinoff with plenty of passion and careful reorientation of FE's SRPG core. And one would have to do something other than royalty/nobility, I'm thinking Roma (derogatorily "gypsies") for the protagonists.

Open world with a full army sounds bizarre, one would have to slash the human count. One is too few for FE, at least three, upwards of five sounds feasible. But that still doesn't sound very FE, so you'd have to create an army you could drag around with ease, which sounds like something Einherjar could do. The three-five core humans can each summon a number of Einherjar to battle, for whom death would have a cost, if not permadeath right away. And lose Einherjar in battle and the humans, for whom death has a higher toll, would be rendered more vulnerable.

You could be a conqueror or a rebel, trying to take over/ liberate the whole continent one region at a time.

2 hours ago, Flere210 said:

You could be a conqueror or a rebel, trying to take over/ liberate the whole continent one region at a time.

I do want an FE game where Alm and Marth did fight each other. Like Alm trying to conquer the lands like Walhart. Preferably after Celica's death.

I struggle saying Open World, because the Open World I see this game possibly employing and the normal Open World concept that is out there, are 2 different things.

I think the game will let you explore things on your own, I can even see the basic skirmishes and the like being in this game like Fates, SoV, Awakening, etc. I hope towns come back, with actual full movement this time, and I am pretty sure Dungeons are in now.

But I would hate to say Open World as in the huge open world do whatever you want style because FE just cant support that.

So I think yes, itll be Open World. By FE terms, and will have dungeons.

Dungeon Crawling is my jaaaam :lol: I also love Open World games but it seems to me our dear FE is just not that type of game.

If we can have both Tactical RPG and Dungeon Crawling in this game, I'd be a very happy potato c:

22 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Open world doesn't work in this type of game and dungeon crawling bogged down SoV and IMO was a waste of modelling and development resources.

I have to agree. Dungeon crawling and open world were two of the large reasons why I really dislike SoV (the third and final reason being basic/boring map design). 

It has nothing to do with infinite grind potential making the game easier. I'm all for that. I think it should be an option, and it helps create more flexible difficulty options for players. But when that side grind is not optional (because, let's face it, it wasn't optional in SoV due to the enemies literally throwing themselves at you), comes with really boring/easy maps, and isn't separated from the main storyline progression, I have to lower my rating for the game (which I did, as I consider Gaiden/SoV to be by far the worst mainline game in the series).

I don't want this to turn in to the Breath of the Wild/Dynasty Warriors 9 of Fire Emblem, so no to this being an "Open World" game. That said, I don't want it to be a dungeon crawler either.

I was incredibly surprised that the last trailer has shown zero free roaming. If we didn't have the short running sequence from the old E3 trailer, nothing in the new one would indicate that roaming in the base was even a thing. 

Since they didn't show any of it during the "big" direct presentation, I assume that the roaming is very limited in this game and not important on the whole. I would expect it limited to the school and a few other choice areas (like a base camp, a tiny portion of a ravaged town, etc). 

Regarding "open world", I don't think something ala Breath of the Wild could work for a SRPG, but something like Shining Force 2 could. It's still linear at its core, but you have wandering around, talking to towns people, exploration, some side missions or quests, etc. I could see something like that working just fine for a more "open" Fire Emblem, but I can't imagine something more possibly working and have any sort of balanced maps.

Edited by Ayra

Dungeon crawling is likely a given we can already explore the entire academy at least as it opens up. I disagree about open world "not working" it can as long as its limited to villages, cities, dungeons and your base that's all you need.

15 hours ago, Guest Lae said:

Dungeon crawling is likely a given we can already explore the entire academy at least as it opens up. I disagree about open world "not working" it can as long as its limited to villages, cities, dungeons and your base that's all you need.

Is "roaming in villages, dungeons and base" really Open World though? I thought Open World was for games like Breath of the Wild or Skyrim, where you can (mostly) go where you want when you want, explore, do sidequests, etc. Basically, that a large part of the plot is not linear and can be done in any order. That I don't feel would work well for a tactics game, because it means that game balance would be extremely difficult and tactics game live and die by their battles. Open world also brings forth random battles to fill the void, but random battles are very long in tactics game and gets annoying pretty quickly. I really don't see "my" definition of open world work well at all for a tactics game.

However, "your" definition of Open world would work just fine; it's basically what the Shining Force games are.