SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

That was a good piece. Very angsty but I like angst so yeah. Also Mega bonus points for capturing what exactly Unhappy refrain is about cause that's essentially what that song is about. Poor wowaka always playing second fiddle to Miku in the spotlight

Wow I am flattered.  Like I probably mentioned, angst isn't my thing but when I go there- I GO there.

Plus it was something a little more personal experience from high school.  A dangerous thing high school was...some of it best forgotten as quickly as possible tbh.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Wow I am flattered.  Like I probably mentioned, angst isn't my thing but when I go there- I GO there.

Plus it was something a little more personal experience from high school.  A dangerous thing high school was...some of it best forgotten as quickly as possible tbh.

I get that feeling. The struggles people go through on a day to day basis is fun to write about for me personally.

Well I'm sorry to hear that but I understand the feeling. People are jerks bottom line you just gotta learn how to deal with it I suppose. We just got keep rolling on one more time(will I ever stop referencing that song...probably not)

Okay, so I decided to primarily base stuff on a D&D world I am creating (which will be before the first campaign). I just need to get these ideas together before I start writing. 8 days should be good.

For those seeking more inspiration, I have English covers of Rolling Girl here.

Snazzle: 

JubyPhonic: 

2 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Okay, so I decided to primarily base stuff on a D&D world I am creating (which will be before the first campaign). I just need to get these ideas together before I start writing. 8 days should be good.

For those seeking more inspiration, I have English covers of Rolling Girl here.

Snazzle: 

JubyPhonic: 

Yeah those are some pretty good covers. I'm just gonna link an english cover of unhappy refrain for those interested:

Unhappy refrain is like a sequal of sorts to rolling girl if you ask me and it's really good.

This is all cool stuff, I think I've Settled on my inspiration being a certain character from A Song of Ice and Fire. Don't think I'll be quite able to match up lyrics to the prompt's song when this is the theme that's buzzing through my head 😄

So... I am out of my home state. Way out. Up North. I have been taking time to do sight-seeing and taking pictures and stuff.

Therefore, I leave myself not too much time to do my stuff. In the case I am unable to post a story, know that I will be able to still use it somehow. When I am a DM for D&D.

I also already had @Ottservia check on my work once already before I had my writer’s block.

I hope to still be able to make a work, and I hope for the same from the others.

21 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Something tells me I maybe should've chosen a different prompt Oh well live and learn

Um, no. This is good. It makes me feel frustrated for being offline for weeks because I have a total of like three days to try and scribble something out, though. If I do, though, expect waaay more than just one Wowaka reference.

22 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Something tells me I maybe should've chosen a different prompt Oh well live and learn

I thought it was a great prompt, though there clearly are some people who don't like going outside their comfort zones for reasons.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Um, no. This is good. It makes me feel frustrated for being offline for weeks because I have a total of like three days to try and scribble something out, though. If I do, though, expect waaay more than just one Wowaka reference.

I am looking forwards to it XD still I hope things work out soon.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

I mean I was able to scribble out my winning piece from last round in about three days so I believe in you.

5 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I thought it was a great prompt, though there clearly are some people who don't like going outside their comfort zones for reasons.

I suppose so but hey whatever people do what they want I guess.

Less than half a page in and I already know Otts at least is gonna love this.

Also, I have discovered the worst sin of the internet:

It took me three google searches to find even this:

Spoiler

EBA22CA5-F0A5-4539-9F10-92107585BA6E.png.febfb97a877ed9417b2c0b6ae8086499.png

WHY IS THIS NOT MORE OF A THING

INTERNET EXPLAIN YOURSELF

29 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Reveal hidden contents

I loled too hard at that XD

30 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Reveal hidden contents

I look forward to it.

I’ve seen that image and I also want more of it. I mean this is kinda similar. I also associate Severa heavily with Rolling girl(that song really does fit her to a tee) so yeah it makes me happy.

It is done.

The Undiscovered Journal of Nakira Nordunkerian

Fandom: Dungeons and Dragons (Original world named Iphetia)

Words: 3,897

Read this before reading the story:

Spoiler

This majority of this story is from one, first-person perspective. It is as though our titular character is writing in a journal. So, there will be more bias on her end towards some characters than others.

I also created a stat block for her for reference. Highest possible value for each stat is 20.

Strength: 12 (+1)

Dexterity: 13 (+1)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 11 (+0)

Charisma: 16 (+3)

Her Background is considered to be Sage (she is 20 years old), and is skilled in Arcana, History, Persuasion, Investigation, Nature, and Medicine.

Her class as of the beginning of this story is a Wizard in the School of Divination (Lv. 5/20 levels)

The story

Spoiler

Be the best you can.
Others can understand, but
Make this success yours.

~Wordhall Lephaash

An Esseatian poem, but Falasean ideals. Dragonborn ideals. No matter your specialty, be the best at it. No one needs to help you, nor should they under most circumstances.
At least, that is what they say.

Journal Entry: Day 1
To anyone who dares look in this, I am Nakira Nordunkerian. A Dragonborn. My mother, Vyrathyra, is a skilled abjurer in Falasea, land of the Dragonborn. And I aspire to try to be like her someday. Just a good wizard. 
I have this journal because I want to write my thoughts, and about the other people I meet. One of them suggested I have a journal like this (and a spare spellbook). She is part of a party of adventurers I am in. There are four others, as follows (from the memory of their adventurer profile cards):
-Granrick, a Hill Dwarf Battlemaster Fighter. Pretty outgoing, and loves a good fight. But he always picks fights with other people, especially when drunk. Never challenge him to a brawl in a tavern.
-Zilben, a Forest Gnome Cleric of the Trickery Domain. Worships Garl Glittergold. His sense of humor is one of the best I have ever known. But he always seemed very shifty at times. Everyone but one of our party has noticed.
-Jade, a Komodo Shifter (Wildhunt) Paladin. Follows the Ancient Oath. Seems used to things despite her background, but is just a little into alcohol. She is the one who suggested I get what I mentioned above.
-Edwin, another Wizard. A human from Vinione of the North-Iphetian Confederacy, specializing in Evocation magic. Arrogant, but a better wizard than I, I admit. And that is a problem.
I specialize in Divination magic. My mother did not care what magic I wanted to specialize in, just be the best in it I can. But how can I be the best when I am just utility?
That might be something to talk about later, though. I have a spellbook to duplicate. This may be my first day with the journal, but I have more important things to do.

Journal Entry: Day 2
Today is my fourth day keeping this journal. The party (Adventurous Avids) and I were busy traveling, talking, and battling for me to have any time to write in this journal.
Today is when I write about why I picked up Divination. Simply put, I am not the smartest Dragonborn anyone knows. By regular standards, I am pretty above average, as you could see from my scores in the unforgiving schools of my land, but you have to be smarter to be the best Wizard.
The first battle we had as a party, when it was just me, Granrick, Zilben, and Jade, we had to fight the regular band of bandits in the streets. Human bandits, because monstrous races are not the only ones who can pillage the village once in a while. I tried to use what magic I had to contribute, but I ended up only landing one strike. It was with a Fire Bolt on a bandit knocked prone. Thanks Zilben, for your environmental awareness. Everything else missed in that battle.
Maybe it’s just luck, but that was how it was for the next few battles we had. Even off the battlefield, I could only seem to be good when we are talking. My friends say I have good charisma for someone of my class; something that comes naturally for a Dragonborn. But I do not want to be compared to the average wizard stereotype. Because Dragonborn are supposed to be the best, right?
Anyways, I read up on what I could for some other way to contribute. From what books I got my hands on, Divination can help out my teammates the best. I can tell then what I could see in the future, and they can do better at something they fail at.
And so I did. The problem now is that I was just utility in the party. I just wanted to be the best utility, but Zilben and Granrick wanted otherwise. So they recruited Edwin. Stronger than I, wiser than I, more knowledgeable than I. He could even snipe enemies from afar with his spells! While I prophecied what I could to my party to protect them from failure, he actually contributed in battle by taking down the important targets. Happenings out of battle, however, sealed my opinion on him. For example, I persuaded a noble to lay down his arms because it wold not be profitable to fight against Shifters when so many other people would stand up for them. Meanwhile, Edwin flaunted his talents around like they were what defined him, while just lazily sitting there.
I do not like him being in the party. Especially when there is someone else working harder than him to do the job. And I would give Granrick and especially Zilben a good talk for bringing him in.
Only Jade and I were against his inclusion. Says more about her than anything.

Journal Entry: Day 3
Thank the gods we have a lazy day today. I can just write in here and ignore Edwin. He found a girl to flirt. I am not having any of that.
What to talk about:
-Jade*
-Falasea
-Political Complaints
-A quest?
I feel it is accurate that if anyone in the Adventurous Avids is my friend, it is Jade. She seems good at everything, but she is wise above all else. She is the voice of reason in our party.
Apparently she is used to other cultures because she served as a guide for her tribe, and a guide to her tribe. Almost like an ambassador, of sorts. So the wiseness in her way with people is warranted.
I asked her why she became a Paladin, since she could easily serve as a Nature Domain Cleric or a Druid, given they seek to protect the nature of the land as well. Her answer was that if she chose either, she would not be able to fully utilize her strength. And her father was a skilled blacksmith, I found out. He created Jade’s beautiful verdant greatsword. So, it was just her style. Which was fine.
If there is anything else to know about Jade, is that people of her kind can morph into a Komodo form. They become humanoid Komodo Dragons, and, somehow, become even wiser. Another thing is the Quori language, which apparently has different dialects depending on the tribe and region they come from. Humans in the same region tend to give names of that Quori dialect to their children. Jade isn’t a Quori name, though, but Chieko, her real name, is. Jade is just a nickname.
I don’t know. I have just been rambling about my friend. Getting my good thoughts together. I just look up to her for her greatness.
I suppose now I can just go to a library and read some books. Will put more distance between me and Edwin, at least.

Journal Entry: Day 17
The past few times, I have just been talking about daily events. Today, however, I need to recount the events of the past few days.
So, Jade had apparently noticed I had been somewhat downcast as of late. Which had been going on for some time now. She asked me about it. I felt, at that point, I could talk to her about my feelings about my capabilities as a wizard. How I always compared myself to Edwin, and how he may not deserve it due to his character. And that if she wanted to suggest for me to be a sorcerer, I had a skilled wizard mother I look up to who wants me to also be a great wizard, no matter the school.
Jade told me to worry not about Edwin’s character, first of all. And that I was already of great help to our team. If I needed to improve, then more study into Divination magic; maybe even find a mentor.
Jade, you are a great friend, and I am glad to be able to come to you about my insecurities. But you do not understand that Dragonborn my age do not take mentors or masters. At least, my mother didn’t. And being of great help still does not mean you are the best; it only means you are on your way. And I have already been studying. Hard.
But, I guess I do not need to worry about Edwin. Everyone, including Edwin himself, would say “the one-man performance was a great hit”, but him and I do different things. I can still contribute in my own way, right?

Journal Entry: Day 28
It took me one week to gather myself back up to write this.
So, last week, we were in Falasea. The capital, specifically. My home. I took the time to have my party meet my mother. She enjoyed the company of everyone except Edwin. Good thing that is something we may still be on the same page about. Especially after what happened.
I learned that my mother was not even a skilled abjurer. She was a prodigy. She was just humble enough to not play herself up as one. No wonder everyone’s eyes focus on her when she did magic. She was not one of the best abjurers. She was the best abjurer in the nation. She could only cast up to 7th level, but I can now see the skill my mother has with her magic.
Some Dragonborn do not like prodigies. All of their hard work bested by someone who did not try as hard, in the same field. While I did not take up abjuration magic, her wizardry in general far surpassed mine. And she would have been the same at my age of 20.
I have learned a day later that I do not appreciate prodigies either.
That day, she approached me the same way Jade did. I was hesitant. So I didn’t know how I was able to talk to Jade about my insecurities before. I got help. Dragonborn don’t need help. And yet, here my mother was, wanting to do the same. So, I talked about all the same things from before, leaving Edwin out. But I added that my security has gotten worse when I saw for myself her prodigious work.
My mother told me that everything came naturally to her. She said the only insecurities she once had were in social situations. So she said that she was of no help to me. And that I should just study more.
The same thing Jade said.
I asked why. Why she felt the need to tell me to do something I already have been doing for more than a year at this point.
She said that that was what all wizards do. She studied too. And that I may be acting immature.
I just stopped the conversation right there. I left the house, I sat behind the house, and I wept there.
I never saw her act this way. Why can’t she have been the mother I loved then? So, after my weeping, I went next door to find an answer to this question. Nalin Kaldial; a man whose smile is a sight for sore eyes. But he knew I was weeping at the heart. He did not have that smile. He was concerned.
I told him everything I knew about my own insecurities, and everyone who made them worse. Except I did not mention Edwin. He deserves no mention.
So, he told me his experiences. Being my mothers neighbor for so long, he knew a lot of things about her. But I was surprised when he told me his smiles were reserved for only me. Because he did not like prodigies. And how differently my mother thought from other Dragonborn like him. She valued help more than other Dragonborn. She got help from the reluctant arcanists of the city to make her already prodigious work into something more. Most people only look up to her because they never say that side of her. She was always in her study, except for the occasional visit to her neighbors. This happened more often after I was born. He also said that she did not like the system of the schools, either. It’s almost as if she was not raised a Dragonborn.
This explains why she appreciated my schoolwork as it was. This explains why she always said it was okay that I failed that one test. This explains why I am not as smart than I should be.
I left the home. I came back to the party, and went to bed.
In the last week since, we have been taking care of a bandits led by a Dragonborn in their camp in the South, and now we are in an inn to rest. None of us came out unscathed. Jade even lost her arm in the fight. In all, this has been the worst week of my life. My mother cannot help me, my life had nearly been taken thrice, and my best friend lost her good arm.
Maybe it will take some time to find another way myself.

Journal Entry: Day 30
Things have been better today. Jade’s arm is recovering, and things have just been calmer. We just need to wait here in this village until she can be active again.
Even still, I am still weeping, for I still have no way to seemingly get better on my own. I guess it might be time to just review the things I have seen today.
-There are advertisements for a festival in a few days. There will be shops, too.
-A library. Will check it out some time.
-A cute little toad. I held him. He liked being in my hands. He looked at me intently, though. Weird. Toads usually mind their own business.
At least it made me feel better in the moment.

Journal Entry: Day 31
The Adventurous Avids have made plans on what to do at the festival. Granrick is jumping at the idea of arm wrestling some of the locals and others, Zilben actually managed to set up his own attraction for magic tricks, Jade is going to walk around and maybe buy some things, and Edwin does not know. I think he’ll be chatting up some more ladies, and possibly volunteer to help with the magic tricks (though that might be unlikely; he’d probably rather do his own). I might walk with Jade and do the same things. Maybe even find that toad again.
You mean the toad from yesterday?
Who are you?
You may call me Quaumius.
What is happening here?
I am using a magical item.
I do not think I have heard of such a thing doing this before. What do you mean you are the toad from yesterday?
Why assume I was such? That was my servant.
You mean a familiar?
Exactly.
Ok. So why are you here? There shouldn’t be any problems. I am a Dragonborn.
Of course you are. I could see that through the toad.
But I am here because I have something to help you. You may say you need no help, but, well...
Don’t you know the meanings are hidden under cover?

I have no idea what you are
You are a wizard in need of help.
I would not want any help from you.
I am just going to guide you to things that you can do whatever you wish with. Whether it be places where you can study on your own, or maybe even a magical item to use, you can still have choices to make on your own. You can still improve on your own; just find the right things.
Do you understand?
I think I kind of do.
At the festival tomorrow, there will be a magic item shop. There will be something to benefit each member of your party there, including you.
Okay, I’ll try that out, I guess.
We shall commune again after the festival, whenever you are ready.
Alright.

Journal Entry: Day 33
The festival was great. Everyone did what they said they would do. Edwin did decide to walk with us, after I mentioned the magic item shop. Granrick and Zilben, too. All of us had been paid a nice enough fortune for taking care of the bandits, so we were good in that regard. And there were some good magical items, too. Here is what we each bought:
Granrick: Onyx Dog. A figurine of wondrous power that can summon a talking mastiff. We always knew Granrick liked dogs.
Zilben: Cape of the Mountebank. The merchant told us it could use the Dimension Door Spell, which I knew of. Basically teleportation.
Jade: Belt of Hill Giant Strength (Granrick and Jade had a debate over this one. Granrick was smart in giving Jade the belt, to compensate for having one arm). It ended up granting her incredible strength.
Edwin: Ioun Stone of Reserve. Edwin can put spells from 1st to 3rd level in this. I’ll admit, that is a smart choice.
Me: A new quarterstaff. The Staff of Wynyra (based on a great arcanist from decades ago). Allows its user to change the spell casting ability of a spell to another feature of a person. I just felt that I can use my Charisma for magic while still being a wizard.
In all, it was a great day.
Now you may come, Quaumius.
I will agree you five made some smart choices today. Even still, though, it may not be best to utilize that staff for too long. You would rely on it too much.
Understandable. But where can I go from there?
You may meet me at the library.
Well, I do have at least a few days to do whatever I need. So, I can come. Hopefully, you don’t do anything shady.
I will comply.

Journal Entry: Day 34
So, I visited the library to meet Quaumius. Well, he seemed to be one, but under that illusion magic, he was an Arcanoloth, apparently. The books never told us of those, other than the fact that they were Yugoloths: fiends, basically. But I was convinced of the fact that he was different from his kind, too. He also said it was him who was selling those magical items; his race’s reputation just forced him to take a disguise. He just wanted to study up on things that he can. Just like me. He led me to some books to study up on, too. For the first time in a while, I felt I was actually making progress.
That is good.
You do not need to respond right now. I still get the feeling that you may not have enough of what you want, however.
No, I’m fine.
Those words are gone with the wind. What did you write on Day 28?
The time I was in Falasea with the party.
That is a thing you wrote. But what was the most important thing?
I think you would know that, by now, given your implications. Meanings of words are hidden under cover, right?
You are playing dumb with that last sentence. The meaning is under lace.
Well, I don’t want to talk about it.
And that is why you are not fine. You hate your mother, do you?
Take your time.
I still love my mother. She is just unhelpful.
Of course you do. And of course she is. Vyrathyra had tutelage and a childhood under Beiberos, an Elven Archmage.
I will burn every empty page left in this book if it means you can shut up.
At least let me speak.
Go ahead.
So, it makes sense now. I know you are truthful.
Indeed, I am. I could sense your insight from here. You should do that more often, you know?
In what way?
I have a couple more things to help you with.
Dragonborn only need help from mortals when it is truly necessary.
How would you know that?
The last page of Teldrandac’s History of Falasea, Volume 1.

Journal Entry: Day 35
So, the Adventurous Avids are leaving the village tomorrow to head up North for our next assignment from the Falasean government. Due to our work with the band of bandits, we have received another to take care of a Sorcerer up North that betrayed the nation for no perceivable reason other than working with someone else. Should not take too long to get there.
I went into the library and read what I can of that. You are right.
“The only time one of our kind should consult another is when they truly feel they have nowhere to go. When they do, they can prosper once more.”
Now, what do I do with you?
We can make a trade. I can give you some magical secrets of mine that can help you, as well as some more magical power. In trade, I request your journal and for you to sign a document for me. You would not want to keep your after this.
Okay. Are you sure I will benefit from this?
You will make some sacrifices, but sacrifices and risks are necessary for true greatness.
Very well. Where can I find you? I only have two days left here.
A small little house buried in a large hill not far out from the town.
Alright. Will come to you tomorrow.
———
To the other Adventurous Avids,
I am going to go get some more components for my spells. I am running low on some for some of my spells. Will be back shortly.
Sincerely, your friend Nacky.
———
Written in an Abyssal passage is such:
Recipient of Power: Nakira Nordunkerian
Patron: Quaumius
In return for the power, follow the demands that the patron does at any time within a week of their arrival. Her journal has been used to create this contract.
Contract’s duration: Three Months
Once the period is over, the patron shall check to see if the deadlines of work have been met.
Should the contract not be renewed, the powers shall be stripped, but not the knowledge.
Should these terms be broken in this period, the consequence is death.
Should the recipient die in this period, she shall be brought back to life and wake up.
Should the patron die in this period, the recipient shall lose her powers and knowledge of what happened as the recipient.
If these terms are to be agreed upon, the recipient shall sign below.

Nakira Nordunkerian
For permanent usage of Charisma for spellcasting, the recipient must bring the soul of one person truly known that she hates to the patron in the next two weeks. If this is to be agreed upon, the recipient shall sign below.
Nakira Nordunkerian
The Soul: Morskan Gastenel, for betraying my country and killing Jade
True Patron: Demogorgon, acting with a Quasit
———
In a newspaper, one-and-a-half years later
Falasean Prophet #156
In Remembrance of the Falasean Incursion
The story of demons, a warlock, and a party of adventurers in a struggle
Dedicated to the late Nakira Nordunkerian, and her alive-and-well mother, Vyrathyra Nordunkerian.

Afterword (Read this after reading the story, please)

Spoiler

For right now, until the judging phase, I will say these:

-Many of these decisions are as though a player and the DM are rolling for Insight, Intelligence, and the like. So, Nakira would be rolling lower rolls for Insight and the like, with her +0 to Wisdom not helping.

-Combat rolls work similarly. While her spell accuracy would not be bad, Nakira would have had some bad luck with the dice and some rolls close to hitting, should her modifier been one point more. Especially early on. Her Charisma would easily be the better casting stat, which the Warlock uses.

-Quaumius’s familiar is actually a Quasit, not a toad. Quasits are like Imps, except they are the chaotic evil demons (hates oppression and government, loves freedom) and not the Lawful Evil Imps (Loves using power and oppression, as well as order. Does not like chaos). They are usually green. Quasits can shape change into toads, which Nakira would not have noticed.

-Final battle of this theoretical campaign is the party (with a replacement for Jade) against a stronger corrupted Warlock Nakira (puppet to Demogorgon) and some other demons.

This will be considered part of history in my D&D world, but that is another story. I hope you guys enjoy, and give your details on criticism when you can.

I wish I went into more detail and I’m not sure if I quite got the prompt right but here’s my submission!

Fandom: A Song of Ice and Fire

Title:  Dragonstone

Words: 1454

Spoiler

“You will be Lord of Dragonstone, Renly will have Storm’s End.”

The words still burned in his ears as Stannis Baratheon looked upon the waves from the top of the storm drum. Gray waters beat upon the the shores again and again, colorless waters for a colorless island. The waves here were nothing like the waters at Storm’s End, should he have been grateful for that? The waters of Shipbreaker Bay had taken his mother and father, but at this very moment even Shipbreaker Bay seemed a more welcoming sight.

The 19 year old Lord of Dragonstone looked as a man 10 years old with the hard lines on his face and his gaunt features. He had still not completely filled back out after the Siege. The siege Eddard Stark seemed to have gotten more credit for breaking than Stannis had for holding. Stannis could still hear Robert telling him he should be cheering ‘Ned’s’ name and embracing him. The brother Robert wished he’d had always was first in the eldest Baratheon’s mind.

It even seemed that Stannis was behind Renly in Robert’s estimation. For why else would Robert reward a child with one of the finest keeps in all of Westeros? What crime had Stannis committed that he should waste away on this island of ash and black rocks, while Renly held their ancestral castle and all its lands? Stannis perhaps knew the answer, and in his mind he cursed the Willem Darry for slipping away before Stannis could capture the last of the Targaryens.

All the same Stannis could not properly hate the man, he had done what he saw was his duty. Great or small, all must do their duty, and Willem Darry had done his duty by taking the Targaryens away. Stannis had done his duty to Robert as the younger brother, but apparently duty for him did not come with just reward. Holding Storm’s End during a year long siege, capturing Dragonstone and the last Targaryen fortress, and what Stannis had to show for it was a miserable castle and an angry and ungrateful brother.

Robert was his elder brother, Robert was also now King. All the realm loved him for his easy charm, and the heroic story of a warrior fighting a mad king to take the throne. Men would probably sing songs about him for ages and ages to come, he and his companion Eddard Stark. He heard already a song from a bard the last time he was at King’s Landing. “The Forest Masters” or something or other.

The dragon roared and laughed.

For who could stop his flames

The dragon would burn the forest

Play cruel and violent games

But from the north and south they came

Hurrah, Hurray, Horray

Masters of the Forest, yes

Wolf and Stag to stay!

It went on like that for 5 verses and perhaps more, Stannis did not stay for the rest. In all his time at court he had never heard anyone singing any songs of his holding of Storm’s End. They did not sing of the stormlanders who held their home against the entire power of the Reach for a year, wasting away while Mace Tyrell feasted in sight of the defenders. Bards did not want to sing of men hungry enough to eat rats, of brave men who guarded a castle while its lord was off to win glory for himself. Robert’s story was the one that had all the bards, lords ,and ladies cheering his name and toasting to his health.

Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but if Stannis offered them cold clear water they would squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes. Those men Robert surrounded himself with at court these days, sycophants, traitors, and worse: Lannisters. Stannis held no love for the family of his brother’s wife. Tywin Lannister had arrived late to the rebellion, and his “victory” was to sack an undefended city and his son become an oathbreaker.

And Tywin Lannister’s reward for that service was a daughter for a queen and Lannisters staffing countless positions in the realm. Stannis ground his teeth again, he would probably be expected back in King’s Landing soon to help oversee the ongoing reconstruction of the Royal Fleet. That squadron Stannis had assembled to take over Dragonstone and the surrounding islands was no true force. Oh yes men called it the Baratheon Royal fleet, but to actually be the power in the Narrow Sea it would need years of supervision.

Stannis could potentially make some sort of excuse as to why he would be unable to go back to court. Dragonstone still needed its lord, the Targaryen Loyalists were too shifty, the winds were unfavorable. All the same if Robert asked him to come back to court, Stannis would do it. Stannis would do his duty, even as other men believed themselves above such things.

If there were no Seven Heavens and no Seven Hells, then the only justice was the justice men made themselves. The good in the world came from what you did in your own life. Good acts did not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good. Each had to be judged on its own merits and in its own time.

Stannis gripped the railing of the platform harder as the storm rolled in Dragonstone’s direction. THUM THUM came the sound of wind echoing through the tower. The black stones reflected a joyless cacophony of sound, perhaps even grimmer than the lord of the castle.

It was through this clamor that Maester Cressen walked out onto the tower. The former Maester of Storm’s End was one of the few people from that followed Stannis to Dragonstone. It appeared the man had a message for Stannis, apparently this storm was not enough to deter the dark wings of the messenger birds.

“It is from the King, my lord. It bids-”

“I know what it bids,” Stannis interrupted while the first drops of rain could be felt upon his grim head, “It bids me come to court.”

“It does, my lord.” Cressen’s hood protected him from the rain at least, “That being said you could elect to remain on Dragonstone.”

Did the old maester sense his trepidation, his discontent? Cressen had always known him well. Stannis did not move from his spot and did not meet Cressen’s eyes.

“Robert is my older brother and my king. His word is command,” Stannis’ statement came out harsh and bitter like a rotten wine, “There is no question of what to do.”

“You could mention that the bannermen of the Narrow Sea are yet still unruly and to leave them alone would be dangerous.”

Cressen would try and protect him, or at least that’s what Cressen would tell himself. It would be simple, it would be simple to send a raven stating that it was too early for him leave Dragonstone. Robert would probably forget the reason he sent for Stannis, too busy drinking or whoring to care. For when did he ever care for Stannis, for his brother that did all that was asked of him?

Rain came down faster upon them, it wouldn’t do either of them any good to remain on the balcony. Turning on his heel Stannis began to walk inside.

“Tell Ser Davos to have my ship ready, we leave tomorrow with the the tide,” Stannis did not see the sad frown that grew on Cressen’s face, nor did it really matter to him, “Send a raven ahead of me.”

“Yes my lord,” Cressen walked slowly behind his master, back into the Dragonstone tower.

‘Why did the gods curse him with brothers?’ Stannis asked himself this question as he climbed down the stairs, as his wet feet echoed on the steps. ‘Robert to take Storm’s End from me, and Renly to receive it.’

‘We must do our duty,’ another voice echoed in his mind, ‘Great or small we must do our duty.’

What did anyone else know of duty? What did Robert know? What did Renly? Perhaps they knew nothing and would continue to know nothing as the years went by. The Lord of Dragonstone questioned these things as he went as he always did. Dutiful, grim, and with a certainty of purpose.

Cressen walked behind him, sorrowful as the young man before him nursed his grudges deeply. He prayed to the gods time would soften the iron in Lord Stannis’ soul. Yet the old maester knew in his heart such a thing would likely never occur. Forever a second son, forever the unfavorite, forever Stannis Baratheon, in the shadow of his brothers in duty’s iron vice.

Doing this on my phone so I hope I did the formatting right 😄

Woah, hey, I read the cutoff was Monday, meaning tomorrow, the frick happened?
Well, regardless, here's what I came up with, mostly for Otts' reading pleasure.

Title(for lack of a better one): Two-faced Unknown Rolling Refrain

Wordcount: 1075-ish

Spoiler

“Ugh, not again.”

The girl groaned angrily as she glared at the roll of bread, seemingly possessed with a desire to hit the floor as many times as time itself would allow tonight. She leaned over to pick it up, flicking one of her red twintails out of the way, and stood to find the stew was now trying to burn itself again.

“No, no, no!”

Panicked, Severa stirred the stew hastily, and managed to flick a steaming chunk of meat up and hit herself in the cheek.

“Gah!”

Quickly putting pressure on the spot to smother any burning, she spun to look for the water, and her hair knocked the bread off the table.

“How? HOW?!”

Struggling not to scream, she quickly checked the small mirror she kept on her at all times just in case, decided her cheek wouldn’t look bad enough for anyone to notice, pulled the bread back up, and let out another cry of anger as the stew once more threatened to burn.

It’s fine. You’re fine, Severa.

Pulling the tent flap open, she stuck her head out to face the exhausted soldiers.

“Dinner’s set!”

The army notified, Severa took her place behind the pot of stew, ladling it into each bowl as a soldier presented it to her, with a chunk of bread to dip, dreading what always came next.

“Chip off the old block, Severa!”

“As delicious as your mother’s cooking!”

“What else could you expect from Cordelia’s daughter?”

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!

Severa had to force herself not to punch that last one. Remember your routine, she told herself. Take a deep breath, from your diaphragm, now. Pretending to just smell the stew, she breathed in, letting the intensity take her through the anger, and breathed out a sigh. For...about 39 seconds, she was calm, then another remark stung, and she repeated, breathing in, through her diaphragm, breathing out a sigh, replaying 39 seconds of half-baked peace over again.

Somehow, she made it all the way through serving dinner, finally taking her own bowl off away from the others.

Severa knew she shouldn’t be so angry about it - this was the world’s end, after all - but the ‘compliments’ still stung. Really, it was the attitude the words were given - like they thought she just looked at the food and it all leapt together, which was basically how it had seemed whenever her mother did it.

What’s the point of slaving over it all when nobody believes you actually had to do any work anyways?!

It was the same with everything else - sharpening swords, polishing armor, what have you - she worked herself near to the bone trying to make sure it was done right, and everyone just nodded like ‘oh duh, of course Severa does it right, she’s Cordelia’s daughter.’ It made her want to scream, scream at everyone who thought they were cheering her up by saying those things, scream at everyone who didn’t - couldn’t - know how much work she put into...well, into everything, especially her perfect little sister who had to go and be exactly like mother, scream at...at her mother for...for leaving her with this without at least...saying...g-goodbye…

“Um, Severa?”

Severa started, hastily rubbing at her eyes in case any tears had escaped. Stupid Noire, why did she have to choose now to need help, as though she didn’t already have enough to deal with?

“What do you want?”

She regretted the words even as they reflexively flew from her mouth, and seeing Noire flinch only made it worse.

“Ah! I just...I was just w-wondering if you were o-ok - you keep sitting away from everyone for dinner, and I thought- I mean, I was w-worried about y-you…”

No, I am very much NOT ok - I’m falling apart, I can’t keep swallowing it much longer, I need to scream at everyone, I can’t stop obsessing over every little thing and it all piles on itself and there’s no end no beginning no POINT-

“I’m fine, Noire.”

What am I saying?! I CAN’T DO IT ANY MORE, SOMEONE PLEASE JUST LET ME SCREAM THAT!!!

“A-are you sure, Severa? I d-don’t think-”

“Stop it, I’m fine, I don’t need anyone babying me, least of all you.”

Another flinch, another stab of regret.

“O-oh...r-right...”

Noire turned to go, and Severa found herself speaking.

“No wait, Noire, stop.”

“H-huh?”

“I...I’m sorry. I don’t want to be mean to you, I just...do.”

“I-it’s the compliments, isn’t it?”

“What?”

Severa looked up, surprised. Noire shrugged.

“Hearing them always compare you to Cordelia - you don’t like it, do you?”

That’s none of your business, you little-

Severa stopped herself, breathing in again, letting out a sigh. Wasn’t she just complaining about nobody getting it?

“...No. I don’t. What made you think of that?”

“W-well, people do the same to me all the time, see, and-”

“Wait, really?” People compared Noire to Tharja? This was news.

“N-not like you, mostly they ask why I can’t be brave like mother w-was…”

Noire sniffled a little, trying not to cry.

“A-anyways, I thought maybe everyone always t-talking about how easy you make it look might bother you, so...”

Ugh, even SHE just takes me being like mother for granted?

“Well, you guessed right, it drives me nuts to hear just how many variations of ‘you’re just like Cordelia’ people can come up with. Happy?”

“N-no, that’s not what I came to say at all!” Noire said, trying to look brave. “I wanted to...to offer to tell everyone to l-leave you alone!”

And I want to tell you to stick your wait what-

“Wait...you, tell everyone to leave me alone? Am I dreaming or something?”

She knew it sounded rude, but she was too confused to care right now.

“Y-yeah - I mean, n-no! I promise I really will, h-here, I’ll go right now!”

Noire spun around to march off, and Severa grabbed her arm.

“Uh, Severa?”

Ignoring Noire’s confusion, Severa poked her back a couple times.

“Wh-what are you-”

“Huh. You really do have a spine. That’s it, I must be dreaming.”

All the same, someone who actually worried about her...how long had it been since she last had that? Mother and Daddy were gone, and Cal was always busy helping everyone live another day.

“Well, if this is a dream, it still beats the real world.” She sighed. “Did you get any dinner, Noire?”

“...? N-no, I came to see you first?”

“Go get some dinner. And...come back and sit with me, ok?”

“R-really? You mean it? O-ok!”

Seeing Noire rush away, eyes shining, Severa felt something she hadn’t felt in a long time.

I guess she still doesn’t know how much crap I do for everyone…

She felt...happy.

And maybe this doesn’t mean I don’t feel like I’m just rolling down a hill without any control over anything…

As Noire came back, bowl in hand, Severa found herself smiling - a real smile, not just her usual sarcastic smirk.

...But at least I’m not alone any more.

Optional Epilogue that'll only really make sense to Chloey:

Spoiler

“Dinner’s set!”

Luna set the stew down and took her place beside it, ladling it out to each bowl presented to her. She didn’t have to, everyone except maybe Dee could serve themselves just fine, but she loved what came next.

“Smells great, Luna!”

“Wow, you went all out tonight! You sure you didn’t have anyone helping you?”

“Luna made dinner tonight? Someone get me another bowl!”

She had to work not to smile at Bard for that last one - she still outwardly insisted she wasn’t a fan of compliments.

“Luna, dear, looking at this food I’d say you’ve done enough work today. Go eat.”

Thorn, smiling, gently pulled the ladle from Luna’s hand, handed her a full bowl, and shooed her towards the table where Sola sat talking to Rhythm. Noticing her, Sola slid to make room, patting the bench for her big sister to sit. Rhythm also slid over, knowing who would consequently join them momentarily.

“Hi, guys!”

Sombre slid into the seat next to Rhythm, smiling at Luna before joining Sola and Rhythm’s conversation.

It had taken Severa a long time to reach the point where she felt she could share her problems with Noire. In the end, though, having someone to lean on had done wonders for the both of them. It was hard to believe the girl chatting with the others at the table was the same girl who’d needed someone to escort her to use the bathroom at night, just as it was hard to believe that the girl pondering the scene before her was the same girl who would have rather charged an army of Risen alone than share her real feelings with anyone.

“...Luna?”

Luna started, noting Sombre looking at her.

“Everything alright? You’re looking kind of distant.”

Severa looked back at Noire for a long moment, then smiled.

“...I’m fine.”

Notes:

Spoiler

You want VOCALOID references? You got VOCALOID references. I'm almost sad you specifically just wanted Wowaka, I probably could have dug up several more if I'd wanted.
Pretty much the only thing that needs explaining for anyone not reading the epilogue is that I used Outrealm shenanigans to put Subaki and Cordelia together, if only for the sole purpose of making Severa's family life heck and blowing her already-heartwrenching inferiority complex to unreal proportions, so 'Cal' is Caeldori. Basically I just wanted a potential backstory for how Severa is kind of randomly willing to get up in the middle of the night to take Noire to the bathroom. Kind of weird, even considering the future kids' story.
For those who want the epilogue to make sense, Luna is Severa, Sola is Caeldori, Sombre is Noire, they joined a group of travelers, basically just showing the final result of Noire reaching out to Severa like that.
For Chloey, basically the epilogue happens during the night of CF5(or CF6 if you end 5 before nighttime hits). No clue if any of Caleb's group are there or if they ate food alone, so I didn't include any mention of them.

Edited by SoulWeaver
missed an italicization

5 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Well, regardless, here's what I came up with, mostly for Otts' reading pleasure.

Title(for lack of a better one): Two-faced Unknown Rolling Refrain

Wordcount: 1075-ish

Hide contents

“Ugh, not again.”

The girl groaned angrily as she glared at the roll of bread, seemingly possessed with a desire to hit the floor as many times as time itself would allow tonight. She leaned over to pick it up, flicking one of her red twintails out of the way, and stood to find the stew was now trying to burn itself again.

“No, no, no!”

Panicked, Severa stirred the stew hastily, and managed to flick a steaming chunk of meat up and hit herself in the cheek.

“Gah!”

Quickly putting pressure on the spot to smother any burning, she spun to look for the water, and her hair knocked the bread off the table.

“How? HOW?!”

Struggling not to scream, she quickly checked the small mirror she kept on her at all times just in case, decided her cheek wouldn’t look bad enough for anyone to notice, pulled the bread back up, and let out another cry of anger as the stew once more threatened to burn.

It’s fine. You’re fine, Severa.

Pulling the tent flap open, she stuck her head out to face the exhausted soldiers.

“Dinner’s set!”

The army notified, Severa took her place behind the pot of stew, ladling it into each bowl as a soldier presented it to her, with a chunk of bread to dip, dreading what always came next.

“Chip off the old block, Severa!”

“As delicious as your mother’s cooking!”

“What else could you expect from Cordelia’s daughter?”

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!!

Severa had to force herself not to punch that last one. Remember your routine, she told herself. Take a deep breath, from your diaphragm, now. Pretending to just smell the stew, she breathed in, letting the intensity take her through the anger, and breathed out a sigh. For...about 39 seconds, she was calm, then another remark stung, and she repeated, breathing in, through her diaphragm, breathing out a sigh, replaying 39 seconds of half-baked peace over again.

Somehow, she made it all the way through serving dinner, finally taking her own bowl off away from the others.

Severa knew she shouldn’t be so angry about it - this was the world’s end, after all - but the ‘compliments’ still stung. Really, it was the attitude the words were given - like they thought she just looked at the food and it all leapt together, which was basically how it had seemed whenever her mother did it.

What’s the point of slaving over it all when nobody believes you actually had to do any work anyways?!

It was the same with everything else - sharpening swords, polishing armor, what have you - she worked herself near to the bone trying to make sure it was done right, and everyone just nodded like ‘oh duh, of course Severa does it right, she’s Cordelia’s daughter.’ It made her want to scream, scream at everyone who thought they were cheering her up by saying those things, scream at everyone who didn’t - couldn’t - know how much work she put into...well, into everything, especially her perfect little sister who had to go and be exactly like mother, scream at...at her mother for...for leaving her with this without at least...saying...g-goodbye…

“Um, Severa?”

Severa started, hastily rubbing at her eyes in case any tears had escaped. Stupid Noire, why did she have to choose now to need help, as though she didn’t already have enough to deal with?

“What do you want?”

She regretted the words even as they reflexively flew from her mouth, and seeing Noire flinch only made it worse.

“Ah! I just...I was just w-wondering if you were o-ok - you keep sitting away from everyone for dinner, and I thought- I mean, I was w-worried about y-you…”

No, I am very much NOT ok - I’m falling apart, I can’t keep swallowing it much longer, I need to scream at everyone, I can’t stop obsessing over every little thing and it all piles on itself and there’s no end no beginning no POINT-

“I’m fine, Noire.”

What am I saying?! I CAN’T DO IT ANY MORE, SOMEONE PLEASE JUST LET ME SCREAM THAT!!!

“A-are you sure, Severa? I d-don’t think-”

“Stop it, I’m fine, I don’t need anyone babying me, least of all you.”

Another flinch, another stab of regret.

“O-oh...r-right...”

Noire turned to go, and Severa found herself speaking.

“No wait, Noire, stop.”

“H-huh?”

“I...I’m sorry. I don’t want to be mean to you, I just...do.”

“I-it’s the compliments, isn’t it?”

“What?”

Severa looked up, surprised. Noire shrugged.

“Hearing them always compare you to Cordelia - you don’t like it, do you?”

That’s none of your business, you little-

Severa stopped herself, breathing in again, letting out a sigh. Wasn’t she just complaining about nobody getting it?

“...No. I don’t. What made you think of that?”

“W-well, people do the same to me all the time, see, and-”

“Wait, really?” People compared Noire to Tharja? This was news.

“N-not like you, mostly they ask why I can’t be brave like mother w-was…”

Noire sniffled a little, trying not to cry.

“A-anyways, I thought maybe everyone always t-talking about how easy you make it look might bother you, so...”

Ugh, even SHE just takes me being like mother for granted?

“Well, you guessed right, it drives me nuts to hear just how many variations of ‘you’re just like Cordelia’ people can come up with. Happy?”

“N-no, that’s not what I came to say at all!” Noire said, trying to look brave. “I wanted to...to offer to tell everyone to l-leave you alone!”

And I want to tell you to stick your wait what-

“Wait...you, tell everyone to leave me alone? Am I dreaming or something?”

She knew it sounded rude, but she was too confused to care right now.

“Y-yeah - I mean, n-no! I promise I really will, h-here, I’ll go right now!”

Noire spun around to march off, and Severa grabbed her arm.

“Uh, Severa?”

Ignoring Noire’s confusion, Severa poked her back a couple times.

“Wh-what are you-”

“Huh. You really do have a spine. That’s it, I must be dreaming.”

All the same, someone who actually worried about her...how long had it been since she last had that? Mother and Daddy were gone, and Cal was always busy helping everyone live another day.

“Well, if this is a dream, it still beats the real world.” She sighed. “Did you get any dinner, Noire?”

“...? N-no, I came to see you first?”

“Go get some dinner. And...come back and sit with me, ok?”

“R-really? You mean it? O-ok!”

Seeing Noire rush away, eyes shining, Severa felt something she hadn’t felt in a long time.

I guess she still doesn’t know how much crap I do for everyone…

She felt...happy.

And maybe this doesn’t mean I don’t feel like I’m just rolling down a hill without any control over anything…

As Noire came back, bowl in hand, Severa found herself smiling - a real smile, not just her usual sarcastic smirk.

...But at least I’m not alone any more.

Optional Epilogue that'll only really make sense to Chloey:

Hide contents

“Dinner’s set!”

Luna set the stew down and took her place beside it, ladling it out to each bowl presented to her. She didn’t have to, everyone except maybe Dee could serve themselves just fine, but she loved what came next.

“Smells great, Luna!”

“Wow, you went all out tonight! You sure you didn’t have anyone helping you?”

“Luna made dinner tonight? Someone get me another bowl!”

She had to work not to smile at Bard for that last one - she still outwardly insisted she wasn’t a fan of compliments.

“Luna, dear, looking at this food I’d say you’ve done enough work today. Go eat.”

Thorn, smiling, gently pulled the ladle from Luna’s hand, handed her a full bowl, and shooed her towards the table where Sola sat talking to Rhythm. Noticing her, Sola slid to make room, patting the bench for her big sister to sit. Rhythm also slid over, knowing who would consequently join them momentarily.

“Hi, guys!”

Sombre slid into the seat next to Rhythm, smiling at Luna before joining Sola and Rhythm’s conversation.

It had taken Severa a long time to reach the point where she felt she could share her problems with Noire. In the end, though, having someone to lean on had done wonders for the both of them. It was hard to believe the girl chatting with the others at the table was the same girl who’d needed someone to escort her to use the bathroom at night, just as it was hard to believe that the girl pondering the scene before her was the same girl who would have rather charged an army of Risen alone than share her real feelings with anyone.

“...Luna?”

Luna started, noting Sombre looking at her.

“Everything alright? You’re looking kind of distant.”

Severa looked back at Noire for a long moment, then smiled.

“...I’m fine.”

Notes:

Hide contents

You want VOCALOID references? You got VOCALOID references. I'm almost sad you specifically just wanted Wowaka, I probably could have dug up several more if I'd wanted.
Pretty much the only thing that needs explaining for anyone not reading the epilogue is that I used Outrealm shenanigans to put Subaki and Cordelia together, if only for the sole purpose of making Severa's family life heck and blowing her already-heartwrenching inferiority complex to unreal proportions, so 'Cal' is Caeldori. Basically I just wanted a potential backstory for how Severa is kind of randomly willing to get up in the middle of the night to take Noire to the bathroom. Kind of weird, even considering the future kids' story.
For those who want the epilogue to make sense, Luna is Severa, Sola is Caeldori, Sombre is Noire, they joined a group of travelers, basically just showing the final result of Noire reaching out to Severa like that.
For Chloey, basically the epilogue happens during the night of CF5(or CF6 if you end 5 before nighttime hits). No clue if any of Caleb's group are there or if they ate food alone, so I didn't include any mention of them.

Dude!!!  Dude!!!

Holy hell that was amazing!

Also spoilers bewear:

Spoiler

It's CF 4 not CF 5 that has the dinner scene with Caleb being a bit more relaxed than normal, but it won't impact the epilogue that much because he, Lucina and Alana arrived after that scenario.  At least assuming that's what happened.

Edited by TheSilentChloey
Fixed minor mistake.

7 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

That was me sorry I just sort of assumed because last voting period ended a day late this writing period would’ve been extended a day (yo@AnonymousSpeed what do you think?)Sorry about that. Anyway it was a really good had it been an option to vote for I probably would cause bias. Hooray for Severa’s insecurities cause those are fun to write and read about. I actually was half expecting to see a reference to the line “she’s falling down that topsy turvy girl an unadulterated world” dunno why. 

Edited by Ottservia

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

That was me sorry I just sort of assumed because last voting period ended a day late this writing period would’ve been extended a day (yo@AnonymousSpeed what do you think?)Sorry about that. Anyway it was a really good had it been an option to vote for I probably would cause bias. Hooray for Severa’s insecurities cause those are fun to write and read about. I actually was half expecting to see a reference to the line “she’s falling down that topsy turvy girl an unadulterated world” dunno why. 

Ah, ok.
Mostly I was busy adding bonus references to World's End Dancehall, Ura-Omote Lovers, and Unknown Mother Goose, so Unhappy Refrain and Rolling Girl didn't get quite as much as they could have. Kudos to anyone who gets them all!