SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

What the actual heck, guys, all of these were fabulously written. How the frick am I supposed to choose just one?

1. Click 'Reply to this topic'

2. Write 'Choose Mercy'

3. Click 'Submit Reply'

Clap clap, write review. I somehow had the longest entry this round so this was a simple enough process.

Unconditional Love

@Jotari

I was starting to see some thematic parallels between this story and mine, but it then diverged quite heavily in a direction which probably says something about the difference in our worldviews.

The Rhythm of Nature

@TheSilentChloey

A very extreme contrast between muck and idealism here, which doesn't necessarily suit my tastes. I'm glad to see something more like this, though.

I actually appreciate the story's idea that a child cannot be judged by the circumstances of their birth, which seems fairly obvious but I suppose it bears mention.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

54 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

2. Write 'Choose Mercy'

3. Click 'Submit Reply'

Clap clap, write review. I somehow had the longest entry this round so this was a simple enough process.

Unconditional Love

Reveal hidden contents

@Jotari

I was starting to see some thematic parallels between this story and mine, but it then diverged quite heavily in a direction which probably says something about the difference in our worldviews.

The Rhythm of Nature

Reveal hidden contents

@TheSilentChloey

A very extreme contrast between muck and idealism here, which doesn't necessarily suit my tastes. I'm glad to see something more like this, though.

I actually appreciate the story's idea that a child cannot be judged by the circumstances of their birth, which seems fairly obvious but I suppose it bears mention.

I wouldn't try to extrapolate a world view from my writing other than "look at all sides", which would need to be extrapolated from my entire body of work. Something going one way in one story could go a completely different way in another.

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I wouldn't try to extrapolate a world view from my writing other than "look at all sides", which would need to be extrapolated from my entire body of work. Something going one way in one story could go a completely different way in another.

Yeah, but you did something similar in "This is Who I am" and "You're Here Because of Me." Maybe some others, I haven't read all of them. I don't know what it says, but it probably says something.

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that something from someone's brain might be able to tell us something about their brain. I would personally be disappointed if people didn't get a sense of what I believed from my writing.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Yeah, but you did something similar in "This is Who I am" and "You're Here Because of Me." Maybe some others, I haven't read all of them. I don't know what it says, but it probably says something.

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that something from someone's brain might be able to tell us something about their brain. I would personally be disappointed if people didn't get a sense of what I believed from my writing.

Not trying to deny that I have biases. But I do actively try to subvert my own biases as much as follow them.

And I still never wrote my non-official entry. Stupid school and work problems... >_<

Also @AnonymousSpeed I've been getting the same problem when trying to edit my profile. I contacted the admins about it, hopefully this issue will be fixed at some point.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Sorry Ana for not writing anything, I think you kinda wanted me to. I'm just getting burned out by this contest in general.

I would have liked you to, but I'm not bummed that you didn't. Can't force you to write, you know. So no big deal.

9 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

2. Write 'Choose Mercy'

3. Click 'Submit Reply'

Unconditional Love

Hide contents

@Jotari

The Rhythm of Nature

Hide contents

@TheSilentChloey

I think you've missed the entire point to this story.  But I'm not surpised.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, Anacybele said:

I've been getting the same problem when trying to edit my profile. I contacted the admins about it, hopefully this issue will be fixed at some point.

I'll keep trying, but if you're already contacted the staff I guess I'll stop at trying until it works.

On 9/9/2019 at 5:55 PM, TheSilentChloey said:

I think you've missed the entire point to this story.  But I'm not surprised.

Well, that's what I got out of it, at least. A relationship being undesirable doesn't taint the resulting children with undesirability.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:08 PM, Jotari said:

Not trying to deny that I have biases. But I do actively try to subvert my own biases as much as follow them.

Why, might I ask?

That in itself could cause a recurrent pattern.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I'll keep trying, but if you're already contacted the staff I guess I'll stop at trying until it works.

Alright, you just do what you have to.

1 hour ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I actually have been experiencing something similar @Anacybele.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's annoying, really. >_<

13 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Well, that's what I got out of it, at least. A relationship being undesirable doesn't taint the resulting children with undesirability.

Why, might I ask?

That in itself could cause a recurrent pattern.

My general aim, aside from entertain, is to provoke thought and consideration for perspectives on the world that the reader might not have considered before. Without necessarily passing judgement on anything.

Edited by Jotari

Alright everyone, time for a quick update!

I still can't update the opening post, which is very sad.

However, just because I can't add the voting phase timer to the opening post doesn't mean it's not in effect. The second it turns Sunday 15th in the Eastern United States, voting is closed. If no votes have been posted by then, the "victory" will go to, uh...um...

The victory will go to the person who least recently won a round by default if no votes are posted. That would be @Jotari, who last won in Round 4.

So, be sure to get those votes posted in the next couple of days, even if you liked Jotari's story the most.
Real sorry about the inconvenience of not being able to get a poll up.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Otts at it with them helping hands.

I'm not helping because I thought you needed it or anything. I only did it cause I wanted to so don't get the wrong idea! got it!

In all seriousness no problem.

48 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The straw poll is currently tied. I don't know if the vote for Choose Mercy was actually there last midnight EST, but either way I'll abdicate the win to @Jotari.

Oh damn. I didn't get around to reading either of the other two suggestions. They're short, so I'll fit them in now.

@TheSilentChloey

Spoiler

So, this story deals with some pretty heavy themes. Respect for going there. However, it is, pretty basic. Abuse and disability are really complicated topics. Fitting a story with both of them into about a thousand words makes more for just establishing the existence of such things, rather than actively exploring them.

(the irony is not lost on me that this critique could just as easily apply to my own story)

@AnonymousSpeed

Spoiler

So you say this is part of a preestablished setting for you, and I'm afraid it shows. Honestly I didn't know what was going on half the time. I think you had a solid idea for a story here, and I like the premise, but all the sci fi action turned out more to be a distraction than an enhancement to the setting. At least in my reading.

I voted Rhythms of Life which puts us on a three way tie. Guess the victory still goes to me due to that longest without winning clause. Hmm. Damn, wasn't expecting that because I honestly wasn't thinking much about this. Hmm. Prompt, prompt. Let's see. I guess I'll just rip off part of AnonymousSpeed's theme in that last story and say this one is Sympathy for the devil.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

voted Rhythms of Life which puts us on a three way tie. Guess the victory still goes to me due to that longest without winning clause. Hmm. Damn, wasn't expecting that because I honestly wasn't thinking much about this. Hmm. Prompt, prompt. Let's see. I guess I'll just rip off part of AnonymousSpeed's theme in that last story and say this one is Sympathy for the devil

So like write a sympathetic villain or some such?

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Oh damn. I didn't get around to reading either of the other two suggestions. They're short, so I'll fit them in now.

@TheSilentChloey

Reveal hidden contents

So, this story deals with some pretty heavy themes. Respect for going there. However, it is, pretty basic. Abuse and disability are really complicated topics. Fitting a story with both of them into about a thousand words makes more for just establishing the existence of such things, rather than actively exploring them.

(the irony is not lost on me that this critique could just as easily apply to my own story)

@AnonymousSpeed

Reveal hidden contents

So you say this is part of a preestablished setting for you, and I'm afraid it shows. Honestly I didn't know what was going on half the time. I think you had a solid idea for a story here, and I like the premise, but all the sci fi action turned out more to be a distraction than an enhancement to the setting. At least in my reading.

I voted Rhythms of Life which puts us on a three way tie. Guess the victory still goes to me due to that longest without winning clause. Hmm. Damn, wasn't expecting that because I honestly wasn't thinking much about this. Hmm. Prompt, prompt. Let's see. I guess I'll just rip off part of AnonymousSpeed's theme in that last story and say this one is Sympathy for the devil.

Oh boy.  You're going there hmm?  Well...don't be surprised if this one gets out of hand...