• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray! Finished my first entry.

Title: The candy justifies the means.

Words:814

Pre-read info:

Spoiler

Just a short story that is supposed to be satirical regarding self importance and also critiques society in general. The itallics represent the flashback.

Actual entry:

Spoiler

“How could you?”
“WHY? NOOOOOO!”
“I...I DON’T LIKE YOU!”
“You’re such a monster!”

If you’ve lived a life like mine, you’ve heard all of these many times; for me, it’s daily. In exchange for my crimes, my home is filled with the loot of my victims- Candy, unopened pokemon decks, Beyblades, lightning McQueen figurines and a Barbie doll’s hand. Of course, I get more than just goodies from my victims;  I get respect, fear, fame, attention and the best cubby. And of course, my title: Ted, the terror of afternoon kindergarten. Sometimes when I’m home, I wonder why I do what I do. It’s against the rules, and makes other people unhappy. Yet, the rewards are so gratifying, I can’t seem to stop. I can destroy virtually any opponent with my huge amounts of pilfered Pokemon, eat all the candy I desire, let it rip whenever I so choose. Perhaps if things didn’t go the way they did so long ago, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. Three weeks ago… I thought I could handle the power… I couldn’t.

To be fair to me, my friend Jimothy is the one who REALLY started this. Back in the distant mists of time…     

“Ted, I can’t believe J.J took my Pokemon deck!” Jimothy told me. “Oh, no, that’s so bad! are you going to take them back?” I answered. “What? No! I can’t fight! It’s against the rules! Besides, J.J’s almost 4’2! He’d pound me flat in an instant!” Jimothy seemed flustered as he responded. “I will not let J.J get away with this! My superior intellect will surely win him over!” I thundered. “You-You’re really going to do that? Wow. You really are a good person, Ted.” Jimothy praised me. Spurred on by Jimothy’s comments, I left to confront J.J, the biggest child the schoolyard had seen since two years ago.

I found J.J in his usual spot; the far picnic table near the fence. The teacher rarely went to this part of the field, making it a superb place to run covert operations. J.J  sat at the far end of the table, counting piles of Pokemon cards. He glanced up as I addressed him. “J.J, you didn’t buy those cards! they’re not yours! Give them back to their proper owners!” He glanced at me with amusement. “Why? I’m going to enjoy them every bit as much as they will. I’m moving to Luxembourg soon anyways, and I might not be able to read whatever language they use there.” I was stunned by his rebellion. “But it’s against the rules!” I stuttered. “If it’s against the rules, why do I get no negative reinforcement? Should I not be punished for breaking the rules? Evidently, the rules are just a guideline for people who don’t want to get ahead in life.” He asked casually. “Negative reinforcement?” I asked. I thought J.J was practising luxembourgish for when he moved. “Punishment. Anything that gives me the idea I shouldn’t do it again. If I touch a candle and I get burnt, I won’t touch it again. That’s negative reinforcement. If I touch a candle and I get candy, I’ll touch it again. The rules are a candle that look like they’ll burn you, but those who dare to touch get the rewards. Is it really a crime to take my rightful rewards for risking getting burnt?” J.J reasoned. “I...I-” I was confused. Is stealing actually bad? “Here, I’ll show you. How much candy do you get in a week?” J.J asked me. “One bar of chocolate, usually.” I answered automatically. “Here, then. Take seven of mine.” J.J invited me. “What? Wow! that’s a lot of candy!” I screamed with joy. “Want to know how many times I’ve received negative reinforcement? None. There’s no reason not to do this. The ends justify the means.” He pointed out. “Hmm… I guess I’ll try for a little bit, even though it’s against the rules.” I mused.

Now, here I am, three weeks later, my life changed entirely. J.J has left now, but yesterday Jimothy commented, “It’s almost like J.J never left.” Jimothy seemed kind of mad after I took his best Pokemon cards. I left him his magikarps, though. He really needs to learn to be grateful. I’m not worried about Jimothy, however. I can just give people my earned rewards, and I’ll have everything I want. I’ve thought about it, and I’ve determined that J.J’s thought process is correct. I’m not wrong for embracing my tough methods of acquiring goods; the ends justify the means. And I’m going to have success in life, even if I have to step on others to do so; they need to learn a lesson about life if they let me, anyways. The ends justify the means.

Post-read info:

Spoiler

Ted represents a generic person in the "Society" That is kindergarten, which in turn represents actual society. J.J represents both our dark impulses and a successful buisnessman whose success is tied to him using others. The Candy and Pokemon that J.J and Ted take from others represents Money, as well as happiness, which they take from others to enjoy for themselves. The arm of the Barbie doll represents purchased companies; he has everything he needs, but he wants more anyways, even though he'll likely never need a third arm. Jimothy represents the average middle class who, although not necessarily inclined to be especially good, is not bad either, not wanting to fight or step on others to get ahead.

Edited by Benice

On 10/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, Ottservia said:

Oh? In what way I wonder? Well you’ve piqued my interest.

Not quite what you're hoping for, just that it involves a couple characters from Awakening, and a key interaction between them, with an optional epilogue piece specifically linked to my version of the Awakening world.

20 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hooray! Finished my first entry.

Title: The candy justifies the means.

Words:814

Pre-read info:

Reveal hidden contents

Just a short story that is supposed to be satirical regarding self importance and also critiques society in general. The itallics represent the flashback.

Actual entry:

Reveal hidden contents

“How could you?”
“WHY? NOOOOOO!”
“I...I DON’T LIKE YOU!”
“You’re such a monster!”

If you’ve lived a life like mine, you’ve heard all of these many times; for me, it’s daily. In exchange for my crimes, my home is filled with the loot of my victims- Candy, unopened pokemon decks, Beyblades, lightning McQueen figurines and a Barbie doll’s hand. Of course, I get more than just goodies from my victims;  I get respect, fear, fame, attention and the best cubby. And of course, my title: Ted, the terror of afternoon kindergarten. Sometimes when I’m home, I wonder why I do what I do. It’s against the rules, and makes other people unhappy. Yet, the rewards are so gratifying, I can’t seem to stop. I can destroy virtually any opponent with my huge amounts of pilfered Pokemon, eat all the candy I desire, let it rip whenever I so choose. Perhaps if things didn’t go the way they did so long ago, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. Three weeks ago… I thought I could handle the power… I couldn’t.

To be fair to me, my friend Jimothy is the one who REALLY started this. Back in the distant mists of time…     

“Ted, I can’t believe J.J took my Pokemon deck!” Jimothy told me. “Oh, no, that’s so bad! are you going to take them back?” I answered. “What? No! I can’t fight! It’s against the rules! Besides, J.J’s almost 4’2! He’d pound me flat in an instant!” Jimothy seemed flustered as he responded. “I will not let J.J get away with this! My superior intellect will surely win him over!” I thundered. “You-You’re really going to do that? Wow. You really are a good person, Ted.” Jimothy praised me. Spurred on by Jimothy’s comments, I left to confront J.J, the biggest child the schoolyard had seen since two years ago.

I found J.J in his usual spot; the far picnic table near the fence. The teacher rarely went to this part of the field, making it a superb place to run covert operations. J.J  sat at the far end of the table, counting piles of Pokemon cards. He glanced up as I addressed him. “J.J, you didn’t buy those cards! they’re not yours! Give them back to their proper owners!” He glanced at me with amusement. “Why? I’m going to enjoy them every bit as much as they will. I’m moving to Luxembourg soon anyways, and I might not be able to read whatever language they use there.” I was stunned by his rebellion. “But it’s against the rules!” I stuttered. “If it’s against the rules, why do I get no negative reinforcement? Should I not be punished for breaking the rules? Evidently, the rules are just a guideline for people who don’t want to get ahead in life.” He asked casually. “Negative reinforcement?” I asked. I thought J.J was practising luxembourgish for when he moved. “Punishment. Anything that gives me the idea I shouldn’t do it again. If I touch a candle and I get burnt, I won’t touch it again. That’s negative reinforcement. If I touch a candle and I get candy, I’ll touch it again. The rules are a candle that look like they’ll burn you, but those who dare to touch get the rewards. Is it really a crime to take my rightful rewards for risking getting burnt?” J.J reasoned. “I...I-” I was confused. Is stealing actually bad? “Here, I’ll show you. How much candy do you get in a week?” J.J asked me. “One bar of chocolate, usually.” I answered automatically. “Here, then. Take seven of mine.” J.J invited me. “What? Wow! that’s a lot of candy!” I screamed with joy. “Want to know how many times I’ve received negative reinforcement? None. There’s no reason not to do this. The ends justify the means.” He pointed out. “Hmm… I guess I’ll try for a little bit, even though it’s against the rules.” I mused.

Now, here I am, three weeks later, my life changed entirely. J.J has left now, but yesterday Jimothy commented, “It’s almost like J.J never left.” Jimothy seemed kind of mad after I took his best Pokemon cards. I left him his magikarps, though. He really needs to learn to be grateful. I’m not worried about Jimothy, however. I can just give people my earned rewards, and I’ll have everything I want. I’ve thought about it, and I’ve determined that J.J’s thought process is correct. I’m not wrong for embracing my tough methods of acquiring goods; the ends justify the means. And I’m going to have success in life, even if I have to step on others to do so; they need to learn a lesson about life if they let me, anyways. The ends justify the means.

Post-read info:

Reveal hidden contents

Ted represents a generic person in the "Society" That is kindergarten, which in turn represents actual society. J.J represents both our dark impulses and a successful buisnessman whose success is tied to him using others. The Candy and Pokemon that J.J and Ted take from others represents Money, as well as happiness, which they take from others to enjoy for themselves. The arm of the Barbie doll represents purchased companies; he has everything he needs, but he wants more anyways, even though he'll likely never need a third arm. Jimothy represents the average middle class who, although not necessarily inclined to be especially good, is not bad either, not wanting to fight or step on others to get ahead.

...that entire first paragraph was beautiful, the plot twist was perfectly timed, the reasoning - dear goodness, the reasoning that poor boy was not prepared for...fantastic.

28 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Not quite what you're hoping for, just that it involves a couple characters from Awakening, and a key interaction between them, with an optional epilogue piece specifically linked to my version of the Awakening world.

50 minutes ago, Benice said:

Kinda what I was expecting honestly. Also putting vocalsynth references in my entry cause I haven’t referenced one of those songs since my “I’ll face myself” entry I did for Chloey’s sacrifice prompt. The emphasis on mirrors wasn’t only there to reflect(hehe) the similarities between grima and Robin but that was a while ago anyway.

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Kinda what I was expecting honestly. Also putting vocalsynth references in my entry cause I haven’t referenced one of those songs since my “I’ll face myself” entry I did for Chloey’s sacrifice prompt. The emphasis on mirrors wasn’t only there to reflect(hehe) the similarities between grima and Robin but that was a while ago anyway.

Seems my themes get you to do that lol XD

8 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

...that entire first paragraph was beautiful, the plot twist was perfectly timed, the reasoning - dear goodness, the reasoning that poor boy was not prepared for...fantastic.

Glad you liked it! Is there anything I could do better for any future entries?

22 hours ago, Benice said:

Glad you liked it! Is there anything I could do better for any future entries?

Generally speaking feedbck comes around once the writing phase is over and during the voting phase, though not everyone gets to do it.

1 hour ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Generally speaking feedbck comes around once the writing phase is over and during the voting phase, though not everyone gets to do it.

Whoops. Sorry.

11 hours ago, Benice said:

Whoops. Sorry.

You all good, sometimes I throw feedback around early, depends on the mood. In this instance, the piece is short enough that I didn’t have any major complaints, bar maybe the size of the piece itself - it felt a touch on the short side.

on-topic, got most of my entry done, hopefully I can get that in tonight.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's a double post but I'm too lazy for this crap.

A Mother's Reflection

Spoiler

It was a perplexing dilemma indeed.

She wanted her daughter - future daughter, otherself daughter, what have you - to be happy, yes? And her daughter had indicated that what would make her happy would be to be taught so that she could help her, yes? And she had been complaining to Henry just before that about not having more readily-available assistance, yes?
Yes, yes, and yes. All true.

“I’ve assembled the last of the implements for the rite, Mother. I’ll make a useful assistant yet, just watch!”

And yet, hearing those words - that her daughter wanted to follow in her footsteps - somehow sent a cord twisting around her heart...or where her heart supposedly was, she still wasn’t sure she had enough of a heart left to properly feel such things. Perhaps a residual memory, inflicted through-

“Er, Mother?”
Oh right. She was supposed to be making a decision.

“...I’ve changed my mind, Noire. There will be no rite tonight.”

...Huh. Not the logical decision she thought she was making. Who switched the words around on the way to her mouth?

“What? But…”
“I won’t be teaching you the dark arts.” Her heart - or whatever was left of it - seemed to have decided for her. Might as well follow through with it all the way. “Now put those implements away.”
“But why? Wh-what did I do? Do I lack the talent? Am I in the way?”

Tharja turned to her daughter, who stared at her, wide eyes trembling. It was so typical of Noire to assume some fault in herself in such a circumstance - she herself was much the same way, hence why she’d tried the normality practice when attempting to get Robin’s attention. The cords grew tighter within her chest - perhaps it really was a curse.

“...You have a frightening amount of talent, Noire. Your innate magical potential is vast. Even that talisman turned you into an entirely different person! One couldn’t hope for a greater vessel to shape into a curse slinger...and you could never be in my way.” Goodness, first her heart changed her decision for her, now it was trying to make her sound like some sappy, fairy-tale mother? Emotions were incredibly pesky, perhaps she’d best find some way to lock and unlock her heart at will…

“Then why?”

...Oh, why not. It’s not like she’s going to go tell everyone her mother is a decent person deep down - and who would believe her if she did?

“I think I’ve come to understand the motives of my future self, Noire.”
“Wait, what? What does that mean?”
“I...don’t want you dealing in hexes. The dark arts carry with them tremendous risks, risks your father and I have taken and can’t say we for certain walked away from unscathed. My future self must have known as much…”
“You mean...you think that she was worried for my safety? That...she loved me?”

That was all it meant to Noire to be loved? If that was what it meant...

“Can’t say. Not about her, at least...but I love you, if that helps.”
“Mother…” Noire looked about ready to cry.

“Just don’t expect me to say it often! ...Or maybe ever again. And…”
“And?”
“Well, just because hexes are off the table doesn’t mean I have nothing to teach you. There are more ways than hexing to skin a cat...or other things, heh. So pay attention, and try to follow along. Your training begins tomorrow.”

“Oh yes, ma’am!”

Noire nodded and rushed out with the bag of hexing implements as she turned to the desk, holding up what she’d been examining before Noire came in - the talisman she’d taken from her daughter.

...Poor girl. Exposure to even this much magic had caused such a drastic alteration to her personality - blood and thunder indeed. If Noire tried anything beyond basic battle spells, the effects could - no, would - be catastrophic on her. She’d seen enough prodigies attempt spells they should have been able to handle but for some reason couldn’t to not want anything of the kind to happen to her daughter.

“Noire…”
Her daughter had wanted to walk in her footsteps.

“...You poor, naive girl…”
Her bloody, bloody footsteps.

“...I suppose it’s for the best that my heart spoke before my head could.”

Footsteps no child of hers would ever walk in, not while she had anything to say about it. Bloody and stained though her hands were - and always would be - at least she could ensure Noire never had to make the same horrific choices she and Henry had made.

This still left her shorthanded, though...she scratched her upper lip with her thumb, thinking. She could always talk to Sillva, from that other group traveling with the Shepherds - she needed to figure out the reason behind their similarities anyways. Or why she wore such curious clothing. Their leader, a man named Arilon, had said it resembled the clothing of a legendary Necromancer, though she’d never-

Come to think of it...Tharja pulled her thumb from her lip, looking at it. Sillva had the same habit, scratching her upper lip while thinking. Actually, she’d also seen Arilon himself do the same thing while playing a tactics game with Robin. Now that she thought about it, the three of them were the only ones she’d ever seen with that particular habit. A coincidence? Others may see it as such, but she didn’t believe in coincidence, not for the most part anyways. Perhaps there was a connection between the three of them...perhaps their hands were stained as badly as hers. Only one way to find out…

Optional Epilogue:

Spoiler

“Naga protect us…” Sombre whispered, looking out at the scene before her.

It was just like she remembered - death and destruction, everywhere she looked, badly mangled corpses lying in ditches or hanging from tree limbs where they’d been tossed...the oath had slipped from her lips before she could stop herself, but Arilon just laid a hand on her shoulder.

“We’ve got someone stronger than even Naga watching over us.” He smiled. “Remember that.”

It was easy for him to say - he hadn’t had to wake up to this every single day for who knew how long. Looking over, Sombre saw both Luna and Sola also looked disturbed by the scenery before them. Another hand on her shoulder made her jump a little.

“Hey, hey, it’s just me, kiddo!” Her father grinned. “No caws to worry, ok? We’ve got this - you won’t lose me so easily. Heck, with all you’ve been through, you might be the one protecting me this time around, ha ha!”

“...Yeah...yeah, you’re right.” Sombre looked down at the Bow she held. “At least I won’t let you down again...”

It had taken her mother a straight month to seal the curse on the Skadi, but in the end, here she was, armed with a weapon that left anything used by any Risen - or Terror - in the dust, without fear of what effects it might have on her. With this, she’d be strong enough to make sure at least he came home safe this time...

“Noire…” She thought he would chide her again, but his hand just tightened on her shoulder. “I miss her too. Let’s make certain nobody else here suffers our fate, ok?”

She gripped the Bow, feeling the familiar shivering of its activation, looked up to see a pack of Revenants stumbling up the path a ways off, and thought of her mother as Arilon called for the Wanderers to mobilize.

“Ok.”

Yes, if it weren’t for Tharja, or the choices she’d made, Noire wouldn’t be here, or strong enough to throw her fear aside as she - and the simulacrum Skadi created beside her - notched an arrow of dark energy, taking aim.

Thank you, Mother, Sombre thought as she fired.

Notes:

Spoiler

I feel like this one might not have been as good as Two-Faced Unknown Rolling Refrain - it's kind of a forced redux of Noire and Tharja's A Support, with some small changes to reflect the specific version of Awakening I'm pulling from, which is incidentally the same one as the mentioned entry for those who didn't read the optional epilogue for one or either. Severa, in general, is an easier character for me to write than Tharja or Noire, particularly not a Noire who isn't terrified of everything considering that's her one defining feature as a character. I also really hate the formatting SF automatically puts my Doc-based stuff in when I paste it over here, so I might just start linking to the Docs after this round.

Just now, TheSilentChloey said:

Sure, you can do that.

alright time to get busy after I get some sleep of course(it's like midnight over here)

Edited by Ottservia

The waiting intensifies XD

Oh and to tide everyone over, the thought process behind this prompt was actually based on the fact I kind of wrote it down ages ago and had thought it a pretty cool prompt but ultimately decided to leave it at least until this round.

As I said it was based off of a quote from Claymore, (seriously great manga, but really kicks you in the feels) and one of the more poignant moments.

Spoiler

It focuses of course on the protagonist and her only friend she ever had up until Raki came into her life.  Obviously there are varied reasons one becomes a Claymore but for Clare, she has an especially difficult time of being a warrior.  Remember the ranks I mentioned?  Yeah Clare is pretty much not as great as the one she always looked up to but I am not spoiling it here.

Also fun fact once the half-yoma are created they cease the "aging process" and pretty much stay at the twenty or so mark in their appearances.

Of course they usually are quite tall on average but, I decided to create one of the shortest ones in The Silent Chloey as a bit of a nod to my own lack of vertical blessings, as well as my general personality, that being I don't like talking too much unless the nickname is for the purpose of irony, which does occasionally happen.

So yeah, a bit on my username and the original character that is a representation of myself in some way.

As for the rest of Chloey's group, Bella and Leah were my two pet bunnies whom I sadly lost to myxomatosis a few years back.  Claire is based on the little baby goat I raised and Meg is the persona of Claire's bff goat friend who unfortunately had to be put down due to being attacked by the neighbor's dogs.  Heather was a child whom became a half-yoma and insisted on staying near Chloey because the latter saved the former's life and there are a few characters whom are central to the TSC series (yeah I literally have no life outside of my fanfiction lol) but weren't added in due to the nature of them probably spoiling a huge chunk of stuff which I didn't want to do.  But I ended up mildly spoiling TSC and the Deadly Child...opps XD

However, if anyone is curious about the TSC series I have started TSC and the White Wolf over on A03, so feel free to give it a read.  It's only sixteen chapters so not a massive time sink.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:51 PM, SoulWeaver said:

it felt a touch on the short side

This is the first time anyone's ever said that about my writing XD. I did a short story assignment that was meant to be 5 paragraphs and I did 22 pages. I'm also currently working on a novel that is 250 pages long thus far. I was trying not to shove walls of text down everyone's throat the first time since my teachers complain about that constantly. I will next time though. Bwahaha! Bwahahahahahahahahahahahanahah! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!

Okay I have just made a discovery that sounds absurd but actually works really well. If you ever have any kind of writer’s block, Write in comic sans. Trust me you’ll write way more that way and I don’t know how to feel about that 

Edited by Ottservia

9 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Okay I have just made a discovery that sounds absurd but actually works really well. If you ever have any kind of writer’s block, Write in comic sans. Trust me you’ll write way more that way and I don’t know how to feel about that 

Wait, you didn't already know this? I almost always write in either Comic Sans or Courier New(the one that looks like a typewriter) because they're optimal.

8 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Wait, you didn't already know this? I almost always write in either Comic Sans or Courier New(the one that looks like a typewriter) because they're optimal.

No I didn’t know this until recently but regardless it works and I don’t know why?!

anyway to shift topics a bit does anyone wanna look at my wip. I don’t know how to feel about it quite yet

9 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

No I didn’t know this until recently but regardless it works and I don’t know why?!

anyway to shift topics a bit does anyone wanna look at my wip. I don’t know how to feel about it quite yet

I can.

10 hours ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I can.

Okay thx I sent it on discord

Edit: Sheesh this is turning out to be a long one. It may even be my longest entry yet

Edited by Ottservia

I'm just popping in here to share something wholesome, kinda related to my last entry. @Ottservia @Anacybele might enjoy it the most.

DragoncatToday at 5:08 AM
New idea hot off the press
Glenn kinda guardian angels for Kion. Aww

Purple MageToday at 5:09 AM
Aww

DragoncatToday at 5:10 AM
Like, on the battlefield some time, he tells Ingrid a swordsman saved his life and he doesn't know where he went.

Purple MageToday at 5:11 AM
Cool beans

DragoncatToday at 5:12 AM
"That grappler conked me on the head, I was out. He pulled me to safety. I asked for his name, he just said "your mother knows me" and disappeared"
Idea ACCEPTED

Purple MageToday at 5:12 AM
Conk

DragoncatToday at 5:13 AM
And Ingrid goes and cries to Felix
"He's around!"

Purple MageToday at 5:13 AM
NICE

DragoncatToday at 5:14 AM
Yay warm wholesome headcanons at 5 am

Purple MageToday at 5:14 AM
Huzzah

DragoncatToday at 5:14 AM
Bonus points: Kion has a comment in there like "OH he did kinda look like Uncle Felix"

What is a Promise?:

Fandom: Fire Emblem Three Houses

Words: 2,312

Crimson Flower Spoilers ahead. You have been warned.

Also, I decided to just copy and paste the Google Doc link. You guys should be able to view it, since link sharing is on.

The Story:

Post-read Commentary:

Spoiler

When I first came up with this, Sylvain was going to be in the role of Dorothea. Then, I thought that Ashe would be better, especially after I decided to add in Sylvain’s death. There were references to Ashe and Felix’s support chain, what with being moderate in passions (in this case, Ashe would have told him to be moderate or even ignore Felix’s passion to get back at Dimitri). However, towards the end of writing the first section, I decided that Dorothea would be best, since I see her doing well in the therapist role Felix gives her, not to mention she would likely have a strong bond with the both of them after the war.
Also, Bernadetta making a handkerchief is a reference to how one of Sylvain’s favorite gifts is the fancy handkerchief.