• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Promised Reunion

Fandom: Fire Emblem Awakening

word count: 4,413

Spoiler

Severa’s body froze and her heart descended down the icy ravine as she gazed upon the familiar figure that approached her. The way she guided the pegasus was like poetry in motion as she glided through the air and landed beside her. It was perfect as usual. Severa winced as she looked upon her mother’s face. The crimson red hair, that burgundy colored dress, and those authoritative yet loving red eyes that bore into her heart.

“...oh gods. It’s you” Severa muttered. Great, just great, this was by far the last person she wanted to see, especially today.

Cordelia raised an eyebrow, “have we met? If so, I’m afraid I have forgotten”

Severa’s chest tightened, “Well, excuse me for being so forgettable!” She snapped at her mother with a scowl.

Cordelia sighed and shook her head, “look, there’s no time for this. If you’re a friend, speak now. If not, then stay out of Chrom’s way or I’ll have to cut you down”

A flood of memories began to circulate in Severa’s mind as her heart slammed into the rocky canyon floor upon hearing those words. Her hands balled into fists.

“Chrom, Chrom, Chrom! It’s ALWAYS Chrom with you!”

Cordelia’s brow wrinkled in confusion, “I’m sorry?”

“You should be!” Severa snapped, her voice laced with enough venom to fell an elephant. Her arms formed a barrier around her chest, “and I don’t care about your stupid Chrom, so you can drop it! I…” She hesitated for a moment as more memories began to bubble to the surface.

“Who matters more to you, me or Chrom! Why don’t you MARRY him?!”

“Severa I….”

She swallowed the lump in her throat as she tried her damndest to choke back the wellspring of tears forming in her eyes. She took a quick breath. This wasn’t her mother just some pale imitation. Her real mother was dead. That’s right, she just had to speak to her like any other soldier. A soldier she shared a common goal with.

“I only want to speak to Holland…”

“Holland?”

“Yes, Holland!” She crooked her head in the direction of her friend, “That sad sack over there. Watch my back so I can get to him safely, and then I’ll help your stupid army!”

“O….okay?”

“Oh, and Holland’s not here of his own will, so don’t you dare hurt him!” She scowled at her mother once again.

“Right...” Her mother said before she flew off.

Severa breathed a sigh of relief. Gawds, why the hell did she have to be here. A blurry mist began to form in her eyes as she tried to suppress the rush of memories that burst into her mind. She shook her head. No, this wasn’t the time for that. She just had to get what she came for and leave. She could deal with the rest later. She wiped the tears from her eyes and began to move.

-----

Severa’s feet splashed along the city streets as a thunderous roar bellowed across the sky. Tears flung off her face into the wild winds behind her. A scramble of words and voices blended all around her head.

Failure! Geez, she’s such a klutz. Why can’t she just do better? I’m sorry but I cannot pass you.

She was a failure. Nothing but a stupid stupid failure. She couldn’t do anything right. No matter how hard she worked, no matter how much she trained, and no matter how much she tried to correct herself, it always ended with the exact same result. It was pathetic, really. Her heart sank as she recalled those faces. Those damned faces, all bore into her heart and splattered it all across those cold stone walls.

Why couldn’t she do better? Why couldn’t she just succeed, for once in her darned life?! She felt her feet slip as the next thing she knew her face slammed against the limestone path. She let out a slight groan of pain.

She can’t even run properly. Slowly, Severa peeled herself from the ground. This, combined with the many scrapes she received during the test, made her body ache as she tried to get back up. What was the point? Nobody really cared about her anyway. All they cared about was how well she measured up to her. Even if she did succeed, it’s not like anyone would congratulate her. She was her daughter after all. She was expected to succeed. She grit her teeth. It wasn’t fair. Why did she have to be so damn perfect?! She hated her.

Wow, Severa did you that all by yourself? I’m so proud of you!

Come now, Severa you’re not a failure. You just have to pick yourself up and try again. I’m sure you’ll do better next time!

Her mother’s soft voice rang through her head as Severa wobbled to her feet. Severa wiped some of the blood off her face and slowly made her way back home.

-----

“I’m home…” She called out as she made her way inside.

“Welcome back” She heard her mother call back from within the kitchen.

Severa scoffed, “It’s a surprise to see you home so early,” She took a seat at the table.

She glanced over at her mother who was chopping up some vegetables as a large pot rested on the stove beside her. A delicious aroma of boiled beef and vegetables wafted through the air and tickled Severa’s nose. She found herself drooling at the intoxicating scent. It was her favorite dish after all.

“Well, lord Chrom insisted I take a break and a pegasus knight does not argue with orders from their exalt. Also, Morgan is asleep so try not to talk so loud”

Severa rolled her eyes at the mention of Chrom. It was always Chrom with her. Could she shut up about him for five minutes?! Sheesh, you’d think she still harbored feelings for the guy or something.

Her mother finished up the vegetables and scraped them into the pot. She sighed and turned around.

Severa winced at the sight of her mother’s face. For one, her hair was a mess. Secondly, there were so many bags under her eyes that it looked like she painted around them with tar. Her skin was blotchy too. When was the last time she had any sleep? How long had she been working? Gods, why does she keep destroying herself like this? Well, she already knew the answer...

“Anyway, how was the test?” She asked, “I’m sorry I couldn’t be there to watch you this time”

Severa’s stomach twisted at those words as her eyes glided to the floor.

“It’s fine...itsnotlikeIpassedanyway....”

“I’m sorry?”

Severa remained silent. The tangled words she wanted to say constricted around her heart like a snake around its prey. She couldn’t speak. As if, her perfect mother would understand or care about how she felt. All she cares about is Chrom. Gods it made her sick.

“Oh my Severa what happened to you?” She heard her mother ask.

Severa barely had any time to respond before her mother quickly knelt beside her and pulled at her arm. Severa winced as her arm stung a little from the forceful grab. It was a small couple of wounds she got from crashing into a bunch of trees during the test.

“Hey what are…”

“Oh dear this looks pretty serious,” She said as she examined her daughter’s arm, “Hold on, I’ll go get some salve so don’t move”

Her mother sprang to her feet and darted towards a nearby cabinet. She rummaged through it for a moment and pulled out a small jar. She rushed back to Severa’s side with the open jar. Severa winced as her mother carefully spread the salve along her arm.

“There, that should do it” Her mother said as she closed the salve and placed on the table, “Does that feel better?”

“...y-yeah…” Her eyes glided to the side, “...Th-thanks mommy…”

Her mother smiled, “That’s good to hear, but how did you get such a bad cut on your arm? It wasn’t because you messed up on your test I hope”

Once again, her heart sank at those words. Her lungs felt like stone as every inch of her body seemed to freeze up. A bubble of tar made its way into her throat all hot and sticky as her face began to crinkle in disgust. A muffled boom of thunder echoed from outside and the sounds of raindrops crashing onto the roof sprinkled through the stiff air.

Her mother’s smile faded, “Come on, Severa what’s wrong?” She asked in a sweet and gentle voice. “I won’t laugh or get mad I promise, okay”

Severa’s eyes glided to the floor and, for a moment, remained silent. She moved her gaze toward her mother. A warmth began to pulse in her chest.

“W-Well, I…”

A loud knock at the door then suddenly caught their attention.

“Hold on just a moment” Her mother rose to her feet and went to answer the door.

Severa simply sat there, silently and contemplated her words. Her mother really did care. No matter how busy or tired she was, she still cared for her well-being over herself. It was as if for a moment her old mother had come back. The one that wasn’t so busy all the time and didn’t constantly go off about Chrom. Her chest grew warmer as her lips curved a soft smile. She really did care.

“Wait are you saying lord Chrom is…”

Severa looked over at the doorway and watched as her mother took a step back in shock.

“Nothing is confirmed yet but he needs back up immediately and you’re the only one capable of supplying it,” another voice from outside the door said.

“I see…” For a moment, she looked back at Severa and then turned back to the soldier in front of her, “Order the pegasus knights to mobilize, I’ll be ready as soon as I can”

“Understood,” The soldier said and sprinted off back towards the capital.

Her mother shut the door and immediately rushed to throw on her armor. She quickly stuffed her supply bag, grabbed her weapon and made her way towards the door.

Severa’s heart shattered at the sight before her. The warmth in her chest instantly faded away and was replaced with a cold emptiness. Why would she just leave her like that? Just when she was about to…

A mist of tears formed in her eyes as she walked over to her mother that was just about to exit out the doorway.

“Mommy wait!” She cried out as she grabbed her mother’s arm, “Please don’t go…”

Her mother glanced back at her, “Severa…” She stood silent for a moment, “I’m sorry Severa but I have to”

Severa’s lips quivered, “but why? Why do you have to go? Why can’t you stay and talk to me?”

“Well, it’s because…” She trailed off for a moment and sighed. She turned around, “Lord Chrom is in danger and I…”

Severa’s hands balled into tight fists. Her nails dug into her palm. Him again, what was so special about this Chrom anyway?

“It’s ALWAYS Chrom with you!” Severa suddenly shouted, “Even when father was still around it was always Chrom this or Chrom that with both of you but it was never about Morgan, about me” Those last two words came out heavy and cold.

“Severa, it’s a pegasus knights’ duty to...”

“What’s so special about him anyway!” Severa glared up at her mother with tear-stained and amber eyes, “What’s so special about him that daddy had to die for him! That you have to risk your life for him! Huh?! Who matters more to you, me or Chrom! Why don’t you just MARRY him!”

“Severa I…”

“Well, answer me!” Rapid puffs of breath sputtered out from Severa’s lungs as she continued to glare at her mother.

Her mother remained silent.

Just as she figured, her mother didn’t care. She would rather go fight for Chrom than stay with her daughters. She loved him more than her. A rush of tears began to rush from her eyes as she moved to cover her face.

“E-Even daddy died for Chrom…” She sputtered out.

Severa then felt her mother’s arms wrap around her. Her tears seemed to stop as she gazed up at her mother’s warm, loving smile.

“Severa, I’m sorry, but I have to go in order to protect the thing that matters to me most, I hope you understand” She placed her ring in Severa’s hand.

Severa looked down at the ring that sparkled in her hand. It was the ring that daddy gave her when he proposed long before she was born. A sign of the now nonexistent love between them now sat in the palm of her hand.

“Keep a hold of that and watch over Morgan while I’m gone, okay”

Severa looked away, “O-Okay…” She sniffed with her arms to her side.

“Good now you two better get along, I’ll be back before you know it”

Her mother ended the embrace and once again began to walk out the door. She made a quick glance back and smiled.

“Goodbye, Severa, I’ll be back, I promise” She slammed the door behind her which left Severa alone in the cold unending darkness.

“Severa?” She heard her sister’s drowsy voice as she walked beside her. “Did you and mommy fight again?” She yawned and rubbed her eyes.

Severa didn’t answer only opting to stay silent as the heavy rain and wind whipped around outside. She bit her lip and slammed her fist against the wall.

----

“Your mother is dead, I’m sorry…” Lissa said with a cold and unfeeling tone.

Severa’s heart exploded into a fiery burst before sputtering out just as quickly. She wanted to scream but not even a squeal poked out of her mouth. Her lungs froze and her stomach knotted itself. Her hands covered her mouth. Memories of the other day began to flash through her mind.

“I’ll be back, I promise”

Those words rang through her head on repeat. They swirled and spun around in a 39-second loop. What did those words mean? Was there any meaning? Or were those words simply empty? Empty, just like everything else she said. The world around her began to crumble as her chest tightened after each passing second. It was as if an anchor wrapped around her heart and yanked it down into the cold and empty abyss below.

“NO, YOU’RE WRONG!!” She shouted as she tried to choke back the storm of tears that clawed at her eyes. “THAT JUST CAN’T BE TRUE!! That just can’t be true…”

That’s right, this had to be some sort of mistake. Her mother was perfect in every way. She couldn’t die so easily. Then again...she thought the same way about father...

“Severa, I truly am sorry but….” Lissa moved inside and crouched in front of Severa. “Just know that she died protecting what mattered most to her…”

“I have to go in order to protect the thing that matters to me most”

Those words scrambled through her head and yanked at her heart. For a moment, her lungs stopped. The dam in her eyes cracked as more tears began to leak through the cracks. What did those words mean? What was the thing that mattered to her? It must’ve been Chrom. It had to be him. What else could it be? It couldn’t have been for her. If it had, then, with all those terrible things she had said to her mother on that day…

It would be her fault...

“Severa it’s going….” Lissa moved her hand to the eight-year old’s shoulder only for Severa to swat them away.

JUST SHUT UP!!!” She screamed as loud as she could which caused Lissa to recoil. “JUST SHUT THE HELL UP!!! Just shut up...”

“Severa! Why are you shouting?” Morgan asked as she waddled into the room. “Oh, it’s aunt Lissa!” She said as she sprinted over and wrapped her small arms around Lissa’s chest.

Lissa put on a half-smile, “It’s good to see you, Morgan”

Morgan smiled, “It’s nice to see you too, but if you’re here then…” She looked around a moment before beaming a wide-eyed smile at Lissa, “Mommy must be home also!”

Severa’s chest tightened even harder as Lissa’s face immediately went pale. Lissa’s smile was dragged to the ground as her eyes narrowed at Morgan.

Morgan cocked her head in confusion, “Aunt Lissa? What’s wrong? Where’s mommy?”

“Well, you see Morgan, your mother is…” Lissa trailed off.

“Gone” Severa finished. Her voice was cold as a corpse, “She’s gone Morgy like daddy”

“What do you mean?” Morgan looked at her sister. Her violet eyes were wide with confusion and worry.

“Your sister’s right,” Lissa said which caused Morgan to turn towards her, “Your mother is dead”

Tears welled in the little six year old’s eyes as the pieces were slowly coming into place. “So you mean she’s not coming back…”

Lissa simply nodded which caused Morgan to break out into a hurricane of sobs and tears.

Those sobs were like nails on a chalkboard as Severa screwed her eyes shut. Her hands moved to her face as the dam burst and the tears flooded out like a rush of vomit. A heart-wrenching and near-deafening wail burst into the air.

“I’M SORRY!!!” She cried out over and over again in between sobs but it was too late. Her mother was gone and could no longer hear her pleas. They were nothing more than empty words lost in a sea of despair and regret.

----

“I’m sorry” Severa whispered to herself as she watched her ‘mother’ dance through the air upon her pegasus.

She shook her head. The person up there was not her mother no matter how similar they looked and acted. And besides, it was too late for her. Her mother was dead and she had said what she said. There was no changing what had happened and she had to accept that.

Her head darted over to where Holland was standing. Even so, it may have been too late for her but at least it wasn’t too late for him.

“Holland!” She called out as she marched over to the scrawny looking soldier.

Holland jumped and turned over to Severa, “Severa?! Wh-What are you doing here?! If Nelson knows you left your post…”

“I’m leaving, Holland, and you’re coming with me” She pointed a finger in his face.

Holland took a step back as his shoulders turned stiff, “Severa…” He stood silent for a moment before shaking his head, “I..I can’t. You know I can’t. I have a wife. If I don’t earn Nelson’s coin, she’ll starve!” He let out a deep sigh and looked to the floor, “I know it’s blood money, but-”

Severa’s face crinkled into a scowl, “Your wife is PREGNANT, Holland!” She placed her hands to her hips, “You know that, don’t you?!”

“Of course I know that! And that’s none of your concern!”

Her brow began to furrow as memories of that day began to bubble to the surface, “Do you love your child, Holland? Do you love your wife?” She crossed her arms and asked matter of factly.

Holland seemed to frown, “Of course I do!”

“Then stop making excuses!” She shouted, “Trust me, I know that parents will do anything for their children…” She trailed off as she thought back to when her real mother was still alive. For a moment, her eyes glided to the floor, “but…” She looked back at Holland, “I also know how it feels when a child loses her parents”

“This world’s got far too many kids who’ve gone through that, believe me,” Her hands curled into fists, “If you stay, you’ll be killed or worse! And your child deserves better!”

“Severa I...I’m sorry. I didn’t know. That must have been hard for you” His eyes dropped to the floor and, for a moment, he was quiet. “You’re right though...My child does deserve better” He looked back at her and smiled, “Let’s get out of here”

A warmth pulsed through her chest, “Wait, really?!”

“Yes, really. But we have to hurry!” He said before running off.

Severa smiled, “what an idiot…” She looked over towards the direction where that creep Nelson was. Now, all that’s left was the ring.

----

Severa’s lips curved a soft smile as she looked at the ruby-encrusted ring in her hands.

“Here it is,” She said as she slipped the ring on her finger. Her amber eyes seemed to sparkle as she looked at the ring.

It was the only memento she had left of her. It was the only thing she had left to remind her of the mistakes she’s made. The only thing left to remind her of all the happy times before she lost everything. She was careless to lose it but it won’t happen again.

“Oh ...You” a painfully familiar voice spoke up from behind.

Her chest ached as she took a quick glance back, “What do you want?!” She said, her voice laced with venom.

“I just wanted to thank you for helping us” Cordelia smiled, “You...fought bravely, er…”

Severa sighed, “Severa...my name is Severa…”

“Oh what a sweet name it...suits you somehow,” She said, “Oh, and my name-”

“Cordelia, I know” Severa finished with a certain coldness.

“Er, yes, that’s…But how did you…?” Her voice fell apart as she scrambled to find her words, “I’m sorry, did I introduce myself before”

Severa rolled her eyes, “you must have if I know your name, gods…”

A part of her heart twisted with every cold remark she spat out. A small part of her wanted to just throw herself into her arms and cry, to be wrapped in her mother’s warm embrace once again and be told that everything will be okay. She mentally shook her head. That woman wasn’t her mother, her mother had died. No matter how much she wanted to apologize. No matter how much she regretted her actions. It was too late to make amends and she had to accept it no matter how much it made her heart ache.

“I...I see” She looked away for a moment before smiling back at Severa, “Well, thank you all the same, Severa”

Thank you, Severa

Those words sent a javelin through her chest. She scrunched her face to stop the drizzle of tears from dripping out of her eyes. She hadn’t heard those words in that voice in too long. It felt almost nostalgic to hear her mother acknowledge her once again. But no, this woman wasn’t her mother. She just looked and sounded like her.

“You already said that!” She turned around as her snow-white hair whipped behind her, “A-And besides, it’s not like I did anything special! I...I was…” Her face flushed a bright red as she struggled to find her words, “I was just fighting to get back what’s rightfully mine!” Her arms once again formed a barrier around her chest, “It’s not like I did it to help you out or anything…”

“R-Right…” Cordelia’s gaze then landed on the ring on Severa’s hand, “Oh my, that ring it looks exactly like…” She looked down at her own identical ring and then back to Severa’s, “Ah, I see. That would explain how you know my name, You’re a friend of Lucina’s, aren’t you? …And you’re my child. Isn’t that right?”

Severa’s eyes once again glided to the floor. “Itwaslonelywithoutyou”

“What was that?”

Severa’s face crinkled into her signature scowl as a smear of red spread across her cheeks, “I SAID, I thought you might be lonely, so I came here to see you!...” She looked away again, “s-so you’re welcome”

“That’s very sweet” Her mother smiled.

A familiar warmth once again to fill her chest only to be yanked away by the javelin twisting deeper into her heart. Her face flushed an even brighter red, “D-don’t mock me!” She glared at her mother once again as a few tears scattered behind her, “You don’t care! You don’t care at all!”

Cordelia put her hand to her mouth, “H-How could you possibly think that? I’m thrilled beyond words to meet you”

Severa swallowed the lump in her throat as her chest tightened once again. A flood of memories from that fateful day scrambled through her head. No, she couldn’t apologize. It was too late.

“Then why’d you leave me? You said you had to go off to fight for what mattered, a-and you never came back! You picked Chrom over me!” She snapped as drops of tears sparkled in her clear amber eyes. “Wh-Why did you leave me all alone?” Her eyes dropped to the floor.

Her mother remained silent for a moment and looked down at her future daughter.

“You have me at a disadvantage, Severa,” She said firmly, “I cannot answer for my future self. But…” She moved her hand and brushed away her daughter’s tears, “when I said I was fighting for what mattered most to me, I probably meant you”

Severa looked up at her mother as her warm smile beamed down at her. Her hand was soft and gentle as if she lay against a soft pillow. It was like she was a little girl again being consoled by her mother.

“I’d want nothing more than to build a world where you can grow up happy and strong. At least that’s what I want right now”

At that moment, Severa’s eyes widened as she saw her mother come back to life right before her. It was like she came back from the dead to see her one last time.

She smiled and rubbed her eyes, “Y-You don’t think I know that…” She sniffed, “I mean, I DO know that but…” She looked away as more smudges of red smeared across her face.

“Severa…” She then felt her mother’s arms wrap around her and a flood of warmth filled her chest. Her heart soared up and danced through the sky.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t a better mother to you”

And just like that, the dam shattered. A flood of tears burst from her eyes as she finally returned the embrace like she always wanted to on that fateful day. Her face dug into her mother’s shoulder as she clung to the cloth of her shirt. It was warm and familiar like a swaddled baby being rocked in her mother’s gentle arms.

“I’M SORRY!!” She cried out in between sobs, “I’m so sorry! I-I didn’t mean what I said, please don’t ever leave me again...please…I don’t wanna be alone again...so promise me”

Her mother curved a soft smile, “I promise, you don’t have to worry anymore”

Some notes:

Spoiler

Well that was a long one probably my longest entry yet. I haven't really written for Severa in a while but it feels good to write for my favorite girl again. I dunno if this one fits theme too well but I tried my best. Essentially what I was going for was trying to convey the regret and anguish Severa felt over the last words she said to her mother before she died and I'm not too sure if I conveyed it as well as I could have. Oh well I'll let you guys be the judge of that. And yes, my Severa's father is Robin for this fic. I just really like that family though not like it really mattered here. Regardless, I kinda liked how this one turned out. It's nice to write a story with a happy ending for once. I might post an edited version of this without Morgan y'know just to see how that would pan out if anyone is interested.

One last thing to note. Tsunderes are adorable

Edited by Ottservia

36 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

For such an amazing entry.

Also @Ottservia I nearly cried!  Also making my job difficult I see XD

Aw, thanks.

And I really liked how the fic turned out, @Ottservia.

Btw, guys, I did help Ott with his work. But that was mostly him.

Just now, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

And I really liked how the fic turned out, @Ottservia.

Btw, guys, I did help Ott with his work. But that was mostly him.

And I thank you for that. Your feedback helped spark that last flashback scene with Lissa. I’ll say though that was probably the hardest scene to write because of all the complex emotions I had to convey.

3 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

And I thank you for that. Your feedback helped spark that last flashback scene with Lissa. I’ll say though that was probably the hardest scene to write because of all the complex emotions I had to convey.

You are welcome. I’ll spare any more details until the voting phase, but let’s just say I felt something like how you felt something when Byleth in my fic from last round said he was a ghost at heart.

Time for a non entry, feedback if you want, just a thing I had to write.

Spoiler

“You are needed here. It’s the middle of delegations.” The queen of Faerghus stood on her tiptoes to look her husband in the eye. “The king should not run off willy nilly to fight every bandit or pirate he hears of.”

The king responded with a low huff.

“Dimitri. I mean it. Our son will be sent with a squad, it will give him experience.”

“Ingrid...our son?” The king seemed to untense for a few seconds. “...I trust you sent some of our best fighters and plenty of healers.”

The queen nodded. “He seemed eager. But nervous. As is common. You could talk to him before he heads off. There’s some time before you have to meet with the council.”

Dimitri knocked on his son’s door. Kion was sixteen, definitely at that age where he didn’t want his parents barging in at any moment. Dimitri vaguely remembered that age, but unlike his son, he hadn’t had parents around.

“It’s me. Can I come in?”

“Sure Dad. It’s unlocked.”

The prince was sitting on his bed in his full battle gear and balancing a lance across his waist. He looked up. “Reports say these pirates are...taking hostages, mainly women. Defenseless ones! Doesn’t that just make your blood boil?” Kion’s face twisted into a snarl. “I also heard some people in town saying that I was going to turn into a ‘demon’ if I was allowed to lead. I’m confused.”

Of course. People remembered how Dimitri had acted in his darkest times. He swore the memory made his empty eye socket hurt. But his boy was asking for advice, in an indirect way.

“Sometimes you have to kill to protect innocents. My advice is...if any of the pirates surrender, let them go.”

Kion gripped the lance and showed his teeth. “And then what happens? Do they get to continue what they’re doing?”

Dimitri sighed. “We hope not. We just hope they appreciate mercy. You could tell them, if you get the chance, that I myself will hunt them down if they don’t hold up their end of the bargain. That’ll scare them.”

“Dad, you’re in the middle of all that paperwork with Duscur and the Church of Sothis.”

“The pirates don’t have to know that. All they have to know is ‘King of Faerghus big bad scary man! Don’t want him after us!’ Seriously.”

“One Eyed Lion.” Kion chuckled. “That’s what people call you. I’ve heard it a lot.” Brief pause. “Mom sent a troop of healers, some cavalry, and some infantry. I’ll lead them well.”

—-

The port town was surprisingly not on fire, but a tense air hung over it. The small army led by the prince were all disguised as commoners with weapons hidden under cloaks. The swordsman Kion knew as “Uncle Felix” was recovering from wounds inflicted in a previous skirmish with pirates who may or may not be the same ones, and on top of that, he’d been distant and cold around Dimitri for decades, so he may or may not be trustworthy at this time. A swordsman named Adrien was acting as Kion’s right hand man in Felix’s place.

“Milord.” Adrien bowed. “It seems that the pirates have the townspeople all on house arrest. They are strutting around like they own the place and helping themselves to the food and supplies. I overheard one pirate brag about a ‘wench’ and how ‘easy’ she was. Almost made me gag.”

“Initiate the plan.”

“Yes, sir.”

The army made its way to the center of town, where Kion stood on the podium used for announcements. He was flanked by soldiers and archers as he threw off his cloak and brandished his lance. “Attention! You have been intercepted by the royal Faerghus army, by orders of my father, King Dimitri Blaiddyd! Surrender and we will allow you to leave with your lives!”

The pirates responded with an arrow fired into the cavalry troop and the leader yelling something about “a blue blood brat”. Clearly they weren’t willing to back down nicely. Kion gritted his teeth. “Alright then, attack!”

The pirates fought dirty with torches, rocks, bricks, anything they could grab along with their weapons. Unfortunately for Kion, one of those thrown bricks was aimed particularly well. He was down, and not getting up easily.

“The One Eyed Lion’s whelp!” A pirate sneered. “Not so tough without Daddy around, are we? Goodbye, brat!”

But before the axe hit, Adrien appeared in a flash. A flurry of blood and steel. The pirate screamed in pain. And that was the last thing Kion saw before succumbing to the dizzy spell.

“...Kid. Come on.” Kion had never seen the man before. He had kind blue eyes and some faint stubble with well combed hair. “Get up, Kion. Here. I got you out of there.”

“Who are you?”

The man smiled. “Your mother knows me. Back you go.”

—-

“...And I don’t know how it happened, but as soon as I saw the prince down, it’s like I got a sudden boost of strength and speed!” Adrien explained to Dimitri and Ingrid. “But...he’s been completely silent ever since, and when he got up, he looked like he’d seen a ghost. Even through the rest of the fight, not a word.”

“Mom, do you know a man with dark hair and blue eyes?”

Ingrid blinked. “Why?”

“He told me to get up, that he ‘got me out of there’, and that you knew him. He reminded me a bit of Uncle Felix. And he was gone after that.”

Ingrid choked back tears. “Thank you...Glenn.”

I'll accept feedback in PM if you don't want to clutter the thread, and in case it's not obvious:

Spoiler

Adrien was temporarily possessed, like spirit possession.

I just can’t seem to come up with a fitting title for my entry.

Edit: Okay came up with a good title and I did a couple last minute revisions that I think really add to the overall story.

Edited by Ottservia

5 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I don’t know if this needs to be said or not, but can the entries after Chloe’s be added to the OP?

The writing period isn’t over yet though 

Here's a garbage little story that I wrote up real quick, hope you enjoy the ideas behind it at least.

The Emperor

Spoiler

Alarms blared through concrete halls. A whole palace of harsh, drab rooms flooded with garish sound and the accompanying red light. A steel door shut on one such room, a great chamber deep within the complex. A switch was flipped, the lights turned on. A bolt of lightening flew forth from a rifle-like device, shattering the empty depot's alarm, rendering one room quiet.

"Was that truly necessary, TinkerBelle?" panted Nero. The emperor sat down on a wooden crate and straightened out his suit.
"It was getting pretty annoying," replied a woman, covered head to toe in a drab armor to match the concrete walls. She stood up unnaturally straight- a useful feature of her invention was that the armor forced good posture.
"I suppose we won't need to worry about fixing it," remarked Nero.

He looked around the grand room to which they'd retreated. Aside from the crate he sat on, it was largely empty. The high ceilings helped with that image. A few other wooden boxes were strewn about. A makeshift control panel, most of its wires precariously exposed, and of such size and complexity to require a multitude of operators, sat at the far end of the room. There was another steel door near that, leading to a small side room which looked into the depot through a wide window of thick glass.

The chamber was placed deep within the facility and the route to it was convoluted for any first time visitor, but the authorities would find it eventually.

Nero resisted the urge to scream. He opted to instead take a deep breath and huff at the floor. A small number of silvery droids floated around him. At his mind's whim, they flew from his side and began to twist knobs and adjust levers on the control panel in the distance.

TinkerBelle turned her head- and only her head- to this display. No words needed to be spoken. "This is a stupid idea."

Nero looked up.

"Most certainly, but circumstances require it. Unless you would rather submit to the procedure."
"The cooler head should have the stable body."
"Hah! Well said."
"You laughed. You're nervous."
"Horribly so."

Nero looked back down to his arm. A simple, basic arm, wholly plain in its construction and properties. His finger stroked across his skin- it was perhaps the last time it would feel as it now did.

"You can walk away, you know. The infrastructure can be rebuilt. We have the designs. Then we can get actual test subjects-"

"We can. We won't." Nero took a deep breath. "It was enormously painful to acquire the resources just to build this prototype. Finding this hideout took years- I don't care to try and start again while jumping between makeshift fortresses. We act now." The emperor smiled. "Besides, we only need to worry if the design is faulty. I have more trust in our work than that. Don't you?"

"I don't trust anything I haven't tested. Repeatedly."

"We have tested it...sufficiently. It worked marvelously on wood and apples and other small cellular constructs- animal testing is a leap, but not the most horrible one."

"Picked apples and planks aren't anywhere close to an accurate model of living humans. It needs more testing."

Nero shut his eyes. "Alright. It hasn't been tested enough. It will still have to do." A few muted chuckled past his lips. "What's the worst which could happen?"

"You could be turned to antimatter."

"Hah! Well, I didn't get where I am today without some bold risks."

Nero scurried towards the distant steel door.

TinkerBelle sighed and followed suit. She stopped at the control panel and began to take over for the drones. Nero wouldn't be able to control them throughout the procedure. Meanwhile, the emperor stepped into the side room, where a metal ring was built into the walls.

The machine came alive. It was a low hum at first. A purple light slowly patrolled the length of the device.

The hum turned to a growl.

The light sped up, growing faster and faster until the whole ring glowed a blinding hue, so bright that Nero had to shut his eyes.

The very air was shaking with an unceasing roar.

As if by some force of magic, or some fold reality, Nero's body raised from the floor, despite no feeling of force.

From behind radiation proof glass, TinkerBelle flipped a lever, turned a knob, and moved her hand over a button. There it hovered. She shut her covered eyes and slammed down.

Everything lit up for a fraction of a millisecond.

And then it was done.

Drones clanked against the concrete floor.

The emperor floated above the ground, suspended in his vacuum throne, fully awake and barely together.

His pale skin was pure white.
His dark hair was pitch black.

Poor Nero had turned himself into anti-matter.

Two years had past, and castles were still horribly unfashionable. Nero much preferred the idea of a nice villa, overlooking an inland sea which was always warm enough to swim in. Not that he could swim, but the image appealed to him. It was the sort of place a rich man lived, the dwelling of a man in control.

Castles were for people without control. They were for people who were too stupid to ensure no one dared oppose them. An elaborate web of henchmen and friends in high places were the garrison of a true genius. Walls were the primitive instrument which cowards hid behind. A network was intricate and sophisticated, it could not only held one beyond the reach of all, but could be turned to strangle those who flew to close. Walls were simple and inglorious and inoffensive, unlike the force of subordinates which Nero had long worked towards forging.

Nonetheless, castles often held riches, such as the rare and useful material Balladite. Nero found himself floating outside one such castle.

A sphere of wind separated him from the atmosphere, and his drones remained ever loyal at his side.

Armed sentries stood atop the walls and eyed the odd, floating man with some suspicion. In turn, Nero eyed their walls with eager arrogance. Years of work would come to glorious fruition with the materials in that fortress, and he had just the spider to crawl over the stone towers. He would have the walls levels.

Swaggering up to the wall was a blue hued man, the result of another one of Nero's experiments. His feet touched the ground without vaporizing both, so obviously a more successful one.

One of Nero's drones carried a speaker, which sent a message rattling across the sky.

"THIS WALL IS ABOUT TO BE DESTROYED. PLEASE VACATE TO THE SIDE TOWERS IN ORDER TO PRESERVE YOURSELVES. I CAN ONLY AFFORD TO WARN YOU ONCE."

Some took this message seriously, and obeyed it. One shoot down the drone.

The blue figure now stood at the foot of the wall. Nero sent him a message. Being made of antimatter meant no touching the air, which meant no vibrating it to create speech. Thankfully, the technology which enabled his communication with his drones was somewhat easily modified to also enable communication with others. A thought from his mind transferred to theirs.

Hard Man, begin.

Hard Man cracked his knuckles- thick, steel blue knuckles- and raised one fist into the air.

His hand quickly darkened to a pure black, it's mass increasing thousands of times over, and slammed into the ground. The resulting quake send a tidal wave of brick crashing down and spurred the guards to panicked action.

Bullets flew towards both assailants. Each one which struck Hard Man bounced of his newly-gray body. The sphere of wind which protected Nero from the outside world swept the curtain of lead aside. Evidently in no rush, the two advanced, as if unopposed.

Next, Hard Man broke down the main door in the courtyard. Then a series of doors after that. The emperor and his soldier stepped into the throne room. In front of a gilded chair stood a steadfast empress, flanked on either side by quaking guards of less courage, or perhaps less foolishness. The guards each held strange weapons at the ready, more like what TinkerBelle would carry than common firearms.

"How dare you," the monarch spat. "Who do you think you are?"

Hard Man stepped forward. "Name's 'Ard Man. Boss man 'ere is Nero. Castle's ours now."

The empress narrowed her eyes a bit. "You speak to your superior, peasant. Speak like it."

Hard Man narrowed his eyes a bit. "Now you listen 'ere-"
Hard Man.
"Hmph." Hard Man straightened his back. "Now you all listen. Boss man an' me believe in bein' fair. You don't try 'n hurt us, we don't try 'n hurt you."

Everyone was still.

"What are you waiting for?" shouted the empress. "Shoot them!"

"I-I don't think it'll work," stammered one guard.

Hard Man cackled and slammed his chest. "Guaranteed won't. Hard Man don't take no damage from nuttin'. You got the right idea."

The empress narrowed her eyes. "I ordered you to shoot them."
"We givin' ya the chance not to."
"I will have your head on a pike!"
"She don't got no pull now."

The empress snapped her gaze to Hard Man. "I am the law incarnate."

"Never did get 'long to well wit' laws." Hard Man looked between the guards. "I says ya safe if ya give up. This body don't break, an' my word don't either. So what'll it be? Ya wanna take your chances wit' the broad, or y'all gonna come quiet?"

Two pairs of weapons lowered. A temper rose.

"No one takes my throne from me! I am the empress, and I will sooner die than surrender my glory! I would certainly have any of your dead before then!" In a furious flash she seized one of the guard's rifles. "If my own soldiers are too weak to do it-" She fired at Nero. Green plasma spun through the sky, sufficiently forceful to break the barrier of wind, and struck Nero in the neck. There was a blinding flash and a silent scream.

Once the light died away, the empress gazed up to see Nero's head, nearly detached, sow itself back onto his body. The emperor gagged as if chocking, his lips moved silently in violent cursing. The empress looked on in awe, right until Nero's senses recovered, and he aligned his eyes with hers.

Don't touch me. The emperor straightened himself. He floated forward. She stepped back.
"Wh- who's speaking?"
One guard turned to her. "What are you talking about?"
Nero could only be heard by those he transmitted to specifically. He stopped moving.

I'm sorry, I was a bit upset when I said that. That said, you don't gain anything by making this more difficult. Your subjects have seen something more fearsome than you- they have no more reason to obey.

"I've killed stronger men than you to get here! You don't scare me!"

Strength is force. I would rather need less of it than use more of it. The world is won by planning now.

"This throne is mine! I clawed my way to this throne! I deserve it! No one takes it from me!"

You're just embarrassing yourself now.

Hard Man got an order and followed it. He walked up and knocked the gun from the hands of the empress, kicking it far away. Then he pried the crown off her head, and walked away.

"I curse you!" shouted the empress.

What's one more? replied the Emperor.

"I get to keep this thing, right?" asked Hard Man, pointing to the elaborate jewelry. Nero nodded.

The blue enforcer smiled, then turned to the surrendered soldiers. "Now 'ere's a message from the boss man. Lady there don't get no scratches 'less she don't leave you no choice. Get 'er a nice empty cell and lock 'er up. Uh, if you all lookin' for a new job, a'course. I'll do it myself if ya wanna think it over."

Again, no one moved. No one was quite sure what to make of what had just happened. Had the empress snapped at this defeat? Was it still right to call her the empress? Who would rule now?

Whatever the answers, Hard Man was stuck with the light lifting again. With a sigh, he walked over and picked up a flailing former monarch, carrying her out.

"No one takes this throne from me!" she decried. "I deserve it!"
"Don't no one got the right to complain 'bout nothin'," Hard Man countered.

Nero's drones sorted through the basement treasury of the castle. Pounds upon pounds of Balladite were stored there. Only a few ounces were necessary, and with this much...TinkerBelle would be able to create some rather useful contraptions, certainly. An epic victory was had that day.

In private celebration, Nero opened an antimatter bottle. Inside was a liquid which looked like glue and flowed like gasoline. It tasted wretched, but it wasn't pain and he could feel it. That meant it was a good drug to him. The dopamine rush was pathetic, but this compound he'd made was the most effective anyone had come up with.

He rubbed a finger along his arm. Numb. He took another drink.

Poor Nero had turned himself into antimatter.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Looks like I'm starting this round's feedback.  I'll start with the overall feedback, because it's easier to do that.

Firstly, way to go with so many quality entries guys!  There was some wonderful satire, fluff and some good angst.  I love just how varied everyone's entries were, it was really great to see.  So kudos to everyone who entered.  I hope you all had as much fun with the theme as possible!

I also enjoyed the various ways the theme was able to come to life the best.

Now for the more specific feedback.

@Benice

Spoiler

Your piece qas quite an interesting take on the theme, lovely plot twist and a good social commentary as well, I like how you made it flow and take note that short doesn't mean bad.

On the side of cons I found was that while it was a nice commentary on society, there wasn't really much action, or indeed a whole lot of conflict.  The characters didn't get established all that well and just seemed kind of...there (?) in the setting which wasn't clearly established and was more of a backdrop than a part of the story, at least I felt that way.  Would make for an interesting play though.

@SoulWeaver

Spoiler

I can honestly say that this piece blew me away.  Which is an amazing achievement considering Tharja is one of my least liked characters of the Shepherds' entire cast, only just above the dislike I have for Validar and outright disdain I have for Excellus.  Sure it uses Tharja's A support with Noire, but that's not a bad thing at all.  In fact I think that is what sells this piece even more.  I find the best fan-fics tend to pull as close from the canon as possible but take enough creative licence from the canon to switch things up.

I'm kind of hard pressed for cons, but I do consider that in of itself a sign of how much I enjoyed this piece.

@Azure, Roundabouted Out

Spoiler

A strong Three Houses entry, featuring Felix.  He felt quite in character, though if I may say this, it's that it felt a bit like a cop out to have him end up like Dimitri- basically having the same problems as his friend even though he has people around him who are able to both understand what he's going through and help him through it (god help me you nearly made me cry damn it!).  Bonus points awarded for such a good read!

@Ottservia

Spoiler

This piece...I literally felt like I was on a rollercoaster with Severa, and the poor girl just needed a damn hug already!  I did legit nearly cry here too.  Seriously why are the tsunderes so damn relatable?!

I'm not a fan of Robin as Sev's dad (because Gregor is best dad fight me XP lol jk dude, but still having Gregor as her dad just does it for me, even if she has Virion as her father in ST...), but that's more my personal taste than any marks against your masterpiece.

@AnonymousSpeed

Spoiler

Can I say this was difficult to follow?  I didn't really get it that well, but it was fun to read XD despite being confusing.

54 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

@Azure, Roundabouted Out

Reveal hidden contents

A strong Three Houses entry, featuring Felix.  He felt quite in character, though if I may say this, it's that it felt a bit like a cop out to have him end up like Dimitri- basically having the same problems as his friend even though he has people around him who are able to both understand what he's going through and help him through it (god help me you nearly made me cry damn it!).  Bonus points awarded for such a good read!

Spoiler

Well, it may have helped to have actual experience in having Felix in CF when playing the game, but I saw how people said that he became much like punished!Dimitri. I might have to do a follow-up to this story at some point, though. I thought about doing it before, but only now do I see that it may be necessary.

6 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

This piece...I literally felt like I was on a rollercoaster with Severa, and the poor girl just needed a damn hug already!  I did legit nearly cry here too.  Seriously why are the tsunderes so damn relatable?!

Well now you know why I love her so much. Like god damnit Severa just needs a hug and for someone to tell her that she’s special!! One thing I’ve come to realize about Tsunderes is that when done well they are probably some of the most relatable and human characters that exist in fiction simply because the core of the archetype centers around being unable to express vulnerability and weakness which is something I believe most people can relate to. GregorxCordelia is actually my second favorite pairing for this family though I prefer RobinxCordelia simply because it makes SeveraxLucina work so much better.

Anyway, Here’s some feedback for a couple entries I was able to read.

@Benice‘s “The Candy Justifies The Means”

Spoiler

Not a bad piece. I liked the social commentary and the twist was pretty clever though I will say the message of the story felt a little in your face about it. I like the message and feel it was quite thought provoking but I dunno it just felt a little hamfisted and monologue-y. It’s certainly no “young goodman brown” I’ll tell you that. Really, I feel you could’ve handled this with just a little more nuance to make the commentary a little more natural and organic. 

@Azure, Roundabouted Out‘s “What Is A Promise?”

Spoiler

I quite enjoyed this one and I felt you really did capture the grief found in warfare and loss. I really felt for Felix and the way he tried to fight against his grief. When I learned the grave that Dorothea was talking to was Sylvain’s my heart just sank and everything just became clear. I don’t really know what else to say. It was just a really sad and somber piece that really well conveyed that feeling of grief.

@SoulWeaver‘s “A Mother’s Reflection”

Spoiler

This was a good one and the internal conflict with Tharja logical side and her kind nature was well portrayed though something felt missing. I dunno as I was reading this I just felt like it was something. I have no clue what it would be though

@AnonymousSpeed

Spoiler

This wasn’t a bad piece though I found the message a little vague. I think the idea you were trying to get across was that Nero regretted what he fid to himself because it had crippled him so badly and that made for an interesting read. Also is it bad that when I first read the name “Nero” my mind immediately jumped to the Roman Emperor or more specifically the Fate franchises interpretation of him or rather her

https://fategrandorder.fandom.com/wiki/Nero_Claudius

Oh btw if anyone wants to know some of the inspiration behind my fic. There are a couple pieces of music I’ll point you towards:

Spoiler

this one in particular helped a lot in helping me write the scene where Severa receives the news of her mother’s passing. It just sounds so empty and despair inducing.

Edited by Ottservia

4 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Why is there a non-entry in the poll? Doesn't a non-entry mean it's...well, not an actual entry? xP

4 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah @AnonymousSpeed that wasn't an entry! I'd love any comments on it though.

Yes, but since it wasn't late and it wasn't by the prompt giver, I thought it would be funny if I put it in anyway.

4 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Also is it bad that when I first read the name “Nero” my mind immediately jumped to the Roman Emperor or more specifically the Fate franchises interpretation of him or rather her

Wholly despicable. What absolute anime garbage.

It wouldn't be horribly beyond the historical character of Nero to be transgender- for example, he was the bride at one of his weddings . That does not detract from the overall foulness of what I have just witnessed.

4 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Wholly despicable. What absolute anime garbage.

It wouldn't be horribly beyond the historical character of Nero to be transgender- for example, he was the bride at one of his weddings . That does not detract from the overall foulness of what I have just witnessed.

That’s the fate franchise for you taking well known historical and mythological figures and turning them into cute anime girls(or boys mostly girls though unless you wanna talk about Astolfo). Only in Fate can you have Jack the Ripper be a loli, Arthur be a cute blonde haired anime girl, and Ishtar be scantily clad tsundere. It’s great.

35 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

That’s the fate franchise for you taking well known historical and mythological figures and turning them into cute anime girls(or boys mostly girls though unless you wanna talk about Astolfo). Only in Fate can you have Jack the Ripper be a loli, Arthur be a cute blonde haired anime girl, and Ishtar be scantily clad tsundere. It’s great.

LGbJqeO.png

Alright, here are my reviews.

@AnonymousSpeed

Spoiler

So, from what I can understand, Emperor Nero has his partner, TinkerBelle, invent something to make him superhuman, only to have him turn into something called antimatter. This basically makes him immortal, but at the cost of many human functions such as speech and feeling. He basically lost some of his humanity. He then takes over a castle and, two years later, the Empress who owned the castle comes against him and tries to take the castle back. Nero and his bodyguard, Hard Man (thought he may be a take on the robot master, which led me to think this was a Megaman fic before realizing that it wasn’t), kick her out. In celebration, Nero takes some more antimatter, implying he needs to drink to either survive or to fulfill an addiction.

Overall, I think the story suits the prompt well. We have a man who sought power who ended up getting it at the cost of some humanity, and he regrets it. And the characters are established well, as some, like Hard Man, have different ways of speech. However, I felt neutral reading this, as I felt little connection to the characters while reading. I can also see why it could be hard to follow, as I did have to focus to see what it was about. And I still feel as though I missed something in my summary above.

I don’t know what this is from, though. I am thinking this is either original or Warhammer 40k. But I might be wrong on both.

@Benice

Spoiler

I think you did well here. Story was understandable, as well as the message. And stuff like this suits the prompt, too. However, I do agree that the message is a bit in-your-face, but other than that, the twist was good. Not all who fall into darkness regret it at first, after all.

@Ottservia

Spoiler

I liked this a whole lot. Severa was shown very well here, as is everyone else. It puts the paralogue in a whole new perspective. When I said I felt something while reading, it was when Severa slams her fist on the wall after Cordelia leaves. I think it’s because Morgan is there, too. I felt for the family. Overall, a sad tale with a happy ending. Aside from some typographical errors (which is minor, considering those can be edited easily), this is real good.

Oh yeah, and I saw that Rolling Girl reference there. Nice.

@SoulWeaver

Spoiler

Another great Awakening fic in this round. This time with Noire and Tharja. You got Tharja’s own feelings across well. Really, this style of writing is what I want to do, maybe first-person perspective too. Once again, this puts the script in a new perspective, as the support shows a different side to Tharja. One side even Tharja did not know she had. And while I have yet to know the original characters mentioned here, I thought it was a neat little thing that they all had the same gesture in how they use their thumb to scratch their upper lip. Reminds me of how Rhajat bites her left thumb at the end in Fates.