SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TheSilentChloey said:

And I am 95% sure that Dcat, you're being over dramatic a little...

For once, I agree. Sorta. I can see why Dcat would have some concerns, but yeah.

1 minute ago, TheSilentChloey said:

And I am 95% sure that Dcat, you're being over dramatic a little...

I might be. But I'm also warning us all of what could happen. Me and Ana were on a small RP forum together and it died because drama and arguments happened. It could happen to this contest.

3 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I might be. But I'm also warning us all of what could happen. Me and Ana were on a small RP forum together and it died because drama and arguments happened. It could happen to this contest.

Oh yeah... That was a sad, sad, SAD time. 😞

On another note, I forgot to mention, the inspiration for Bryan and Skye having connections in the distant past via a past self and an ancestor came from Yu-Gi-Oh.

Yugi and Kaiba battled in the ancient past.

Bryan and Skye were friends in the ancient past. ...Well, not quite as ancient as in the Yu-Gi-Oh scenario.

But yeah, there you have it. 😛

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I swear Yu-Gi-Oh! gives some of the best inspiration at times.

Yeah, even if it's the English version. I've only watched that version in full, but I've seen part of the Japanese too. The differences are...astounding, honestly. But most of the changes 4Kids made I actually don't mind. Most of them.

I think the problem is HOW some of these changes turned out. There are a few that could've been handled better. Like the removal of the guns. It just looks damn weird. And also, it wasn't a necessary change, plenty of kids cartoons in the west even back then had guns. Batman the animated series, anyone? I can live with the change, though.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, even if it's the English version. I've only watched that version in full, but I've seen part of the Japanese too. The differences are...astounding, honestly. But most of the changes 4Kids made I actually don't mind. Most of them.

I think the problem is HOW some of these changes turned out. There are a few that could've been handled better. Like the removal of the guns. It just looks damn weird. And also, it wasn't a necessary change, plenty of kids cartoons in the west even back then had guns. Batman the animated series, anyone? I can live with the change, though.

Ah 4kids what a company they were. Looking back they really did go overboard with the censorship but if nothing else their dubs did have charm and a lot of it. The shadow realm is actually a concept exclusive to the dub version of yu-gi-oh. Speaking of Yu-gi-oh. Has anyone here watched season 0? The one that's a little more faithful to the original manga which was actually supposed to be a horror manga believe it or not. But he introduced a card game into the story and people liked it so much that the mangaka decided to switch focus. The pharoh is fucking evil in the manga btw. Dude lights a criminal on fire as he's drenched in vodka only three chapters in. Shit is dark let me tell you.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Ah 4kids what a company they were. Looking back they really did go overboard with the censorship but if nothing else their dubs did have charm and a lot of it. The shadow realm is actually a concept exclusive to the dub version of yu-gi-oh. Speaking of Yu-gi-oh. Has anyone here watched season 0? The one that's a little more faithful to the original manga which was actually supposed to be a horror manga believe it or not. But he introduced a card game into the story and people liked it so much that the mangaka decided to switch focus. The pharoh is fucking evil in the manga btw. Dude lights a criminal on fire as he's drenched in vodka only three chapters in. Shit is dark let me tell you.

The best shit to ever exist!

I saw season 0 too and I enjoyed it, a lot.

16 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Yeah, I know the Shadow Realm was only in the dub. I thought it was a pretty neat concept, much more interesting than straight death imo. As for season 0, yeah, I did see some of it, but I stopped because I couldn't stand how high-pitched and kiddie Yugi sounded. Ugh. But yeah, it IS quite dark.

In one sentence, my thoughts on each entry:

The Fateful Day by @Anacybele

Spoiler

Definitely a good way to approach this prompt, with a friend helping with bullying; it also shows the results of the friendship, in a better world.

One by @Shoblongoo

Spoiler

Definitely a nice and interesting piece; loving how he develops a love for mankind strong enough so he could lead it.

A Curious Conversation by @SoulWeaver

Spoiler

I was definitely interested in how we had a pseudo 4th-wall break here, referencing this very contest.

Dragon touched by @TheSilentChloey

Spoiler

I feel this had some things going for it, although I feel this feels like an excerpt of a novel rather than something standalone.

My choice here is One, with The Fateful Day as my second choice.

20 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Speaking of Yu-gi-oh.

Season 0 was literally evil me as a show - games, games, more games, also if you lose you probably dead boi. Another funny stuff about the Manga is what a little perv Yugi is, there’s at least three separate points where he’s fantasizing about Tea’s panties or her in a bikini. Definitely a kid who would have appreciated Midori Hibiki. The only thing in Yu-Gi-Oh! better than Season 0 is YGOTAS Season 0, and I’ll stand by that. Speaking of, YGOTAS is definitely worth the watch for anyone who hasn’t seen it, just watch for language.

I’ll get to addressing feedback when I’m not on mobile, quoting things is annoying on an iPod.

@Azure, Roundabouted Out It's That Fateful Day, not The Fateful Day, but the latter would've worked. 😛 Glad you liked it though! And yep, results of friendship indeed.

Though as I said before, Shoblongoo seems to win every time he enters. No surprise.

Edited by Anacybele

While I agree he's most probably winning, we still have a couple days left until the voting period actually ends. Give him a chance.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

While I agree he's most probably winning, we still have a couple days left until the voting period actually ends. Give him a chance.

Nope XD

Unless he doesn't get the joke 😮

3 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Unless he doesn't get the joke 😮

I do not.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:25 PM, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Definitely a nice and interesting piece; loving how he develops a love for mankind strong enough so he could lead it.

It is--interesting seeing people with no 40k background react to this piece, and how they respond to this particular character when portrayed in this light.

Because the divide in the fandom around him makes the Edelgard vs. Dimitri heat look like iced pudding. 

With opinions on him running the gauntlet from "literally Jesus and I would die for him" to "worse then Hitler" 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/vesgp/is_the_emperor_good_or_evil/

Edited by Shoblongoo

2 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Because the divide in the fandom around him makes the Edelgard vs. Dimitri heat look like iced pudding. 

With opinions on him run the gauntlet from "literally Jesus and I would die for him" to "worse than Hitler" 

To be fair, some Edelgard debates end up with those two views and no inbetween as well. She's much more gray morality when I write her, I hope at least.

10 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

I do not.

It is--interesting seeing people with no 40k background react to this piece, and how they respond to this particular character when portrayed in this light.

With opinions on him running the gauntlet from "literally Jesus and I would die for him" to "worse then Hitler" 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/vesgp/is_the_emperor_good_or_evil/

I have a tiny bit of background.

Although, it is only from this and some other videos from the same creator.

And also from one episode of a YouTube show where I tried to witness the “I cast FIST” in it. I did not.

Although it really does seem I have no background. Looks like I am like one of those people serving the emperor. I thought that age of this emperor had already passed but... 40k years is 40k.

Edited by Azure, Roundabouted Out
Forgot to add the needed link.

4 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

To be fair, some Edelgard debates end up with those two views and no inbetween as well. She's much more gray morality when I write her, I hope at least.

Moral gray in fiction is always a tricky subject because morality in fiction is often a reflection of the moral standards of the society of which it was created and often times when a work goes against said standards...well it can be considered just a tad jarring. Morality in general is already an ambiguous and complex thing in real life and playing around with it fiction is certainly gonna rattle some people.

45 minutes ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

I thought that age of this emperor had already passed but... 40k years is 40k.

So The Emperor--kinda sorta sacrificed his immortality and martyred himself to save mankind in the 30th millennium. (i.e. 30k) 

...but then this happened...

(40K is dark like that)

Image result for emperor golden throne

Image result for god emperor corpse

The humans took his shattered body on the brink-of-death and interned it within the life-support mechanisms + stasis fields of "The Golden Throne," where they've been maintaining it in something between a comatose and mummified state for the past 10,000 years.

...his mind and psychic powers and astral body are still active, and he can still communicate telepathically with certain psychically sensitive individuals + use some of his more supernatural abilities to perform "miracles" from time-to-time.

But he's been otherwise incapable of communicating with humanity or providing it with direct guidance since his internment upon The Throne. 

And has only been able to watch in disgust and horror as with the galaxy-spanning resources of the Empire he unified all the worlds of humanity to create: 40k humans worship him as "The God-Emperor," regress deeper and deeper back to fascism and theocracy and repression of knowledge and culture by the all-powerful Church-State, and perform persecutions and atrocities + spread ignorance and superstition in his name.     

...40k is dark like that...
Edited by Shoblongoo

Just now, Ottservia said:

Moral gray in fiction is always a tricky subject because morality in fiction is often a reflection of the moral standards of the society of which it was created and often times when a work goes against said standards...well it can be considered just a tad jarring. Morality in general is already an ambiguous and complex thing in real life and playing around with it fiction is certainly gonna rattle some people.

Yeah, I guess that wasn't the best term to use. I suppose I can ramble a bit here to how I have her in my ficverse.

It's canon that Linhardt removes Lysithea's implanted crest to save her life if you pair them. He could take out Edelgard's too, but she's stubborn and refuses. She dies at like early 40s from kidney failure, which is how I'm saying implanted crests kill. But for years afterward, her son will think "okay, what would Mom do here" before every decision. Out of the lord kids I created, Astor is probably the most fun to work with and I didn't expect that. He's got a lot of Hubert in him and he's basically a spoiled brat. More of a daddy's boy, which nobody expected, especially not Hubert himself. Which is a good thing, because when Edelgard passes, Astor still needs a parent to go to for support. He's early 20s by the time but that's just a baby compared to Claude and Dimitri who are still on their thrones.

Edelgard turns out to be a decent mom. She'll call Astor her "eaglet" and he's got a giant eagle plushie in his room at Garreg Mach, he acts like mister tough guy edge master but deep down he's homesick. He was basically told Rhea was corrupt and that's why his mom had to do what she did, but Byleth is fair.

So basically what I did was add some family fluff to make Edelgard more likable than she was to me ingame.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

So The Emperor--kinda sorta sacrificed his immortality and martyred himself to save mankind in the 30th millennium. (i.e. 30k) 

...but then this happened...

(40K is dark like that)

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for emperor golden throne

Image result for god emperor corpse

The humans took his shattered body on the brink-of-death and interned it within the life-support mechanisms + stasis fields of "The Golden Throne," where they've been maintaining it in something between a comatose and mummified state for the past 10,000 years.

...his mind and psychic powers and astral body are still active, and he can still communicate telepathically with certain psychically sensitive individuals + use some of his more supernatural abilities to perform "miracles" from time-to-time.

But he's been otherwise incapable of communicating with humanity or providing it with direct guidance since his internment upon The Throne. 

And has only been able to watch in disgust and horror as with the galaxy-spanning resources of the Empire he unified all the worlds of humanity to create: 40k humans worship him as "The God-Emperor," regress deeper and deeper back to fascism and theocracy and repression of knowledge and culture by the all-powerful Church-State, and perform persecutions and atrocities + spread ignorance and superstition in his name.     

Hide contents

...40k is dark like that...

And that was the man in the story?

1 hour ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

And that was the man in the story?

That was my interpretation of him, from the time before he became "The Emperor" (i.e. the Human Stone Age through the Year 30k)

The way he's written in the lore; that entire portion of his backstory is purposefully shrouded in mystery, and almost nothing is known about it. (to create the sense that he's this ancient, unknowable figure from a time long forgotten, and from which no accurate recording of information survives)

So we only ever get little bits and pieces of it, from various sources.

...We know that he was born somewhere in the territory of what is today modern-day Turkey, around the year ~8,000 B.C.

...We know that sometime thereafter he traveled to "The First Cities of Man" (i.e. presumably the early Mesopotamian City-States) and played some role in giving the barbarian cultures of the day their first real set of laws and governments; setting mankind down the path to true civilization   

...we know that he regularly transitioned from identity-to-identity in his time wandering among mortal men, taking on various personas and alter-egos to subtly influence the growth of development of the species. And that many of his identities and alter-egos were figures of great political, religious, and military importance throughout human history. (its been speculated that he was Jesus of Nazareth, Julius Caeser, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Alexander the Great) 

...We know that he was in Europe sometime during the human Middle Ages, that his activities there inspired the legend of St. George the Dragon Slayer, and that sometime during this time period he also somehow traveled to Mars. (despite having no access at this time to the advanced technology of post-industrial humans) 

...We know at some point before the 30th millennium he discovered a piece of ancient alien technology pre-dating human civilization in Mongolia's Gobi Desert, excavated it, and transported it to his main base of operations in a facility deep beneath the Himalaya Mountains.

Beyond that we know virtually nothing about his life for all the millennia that he wandered on Old Earth, before he revealed himself in 30k. And fans are largely free to fill in the blanks with their own imagination. 

Which is--exactly as fun to head-canon and theorycraft as it sound. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

That was my interpretation of him, from the time before he became "The Emperor" (i.e. the Human Stone Age through the Year 30k)

The way he's written in the lore; that entire portion of his backstory is purposefully shrouded in mystery, and almost nothing is known about it. (to create the sense that he's this ancient, unknowable figure from a time long forgotten, and from which no accurate recording of information survives)

So we only ever get little bits and pieces of it, from various sources.

...We know that he was born somewhere in the territory of what is today modern-day Turkey, around the year ~8,000 B.C.

...We know that sometime thereafter he traveled to "The First Cities of Man" (i.e. presumably the early Mesopotamian City-States) and played some role in giving the barbarian cultures of the day their first real set of laws and governments; setting mankind down the path to true civilization   

...we know that he regularly transitioned from identity-to-identity in his time wandering among mortal men, taking on various personas and alter-egos to subtly influence the growth of development of the species. And that many of his identities and alter-egos were figures of great political, religious, and military importance throughout human history. (its been speculated that he was Jesus of Nazareth, Julius Caeser, Napoleon Bonaparte, and Alexander the Great) 

...We know that he was in Europe sometime during the human Middle Ages, that his activities there inspired the legend of St. George the Dragon Slayer, and that sometime during this time period he also somehow traveled to Mars. (despite having no access at this time to the advanced technology of post-industrial humans) 

...We know at some point before the 30th millennium he discovered a piece of ancient alien technology pre-dating human civilization in Mongolia's Gobi Desert, excavated it, and transported it to his main base of operations in a facility deep beneath the Himalaya Mountains.

Beyond that we know virtually nothing about his life for all the millennia that he wandered on Old Earth, before he revealed himself in 30k. And fans are largely free to fill in the blanks with their own imagination. 

Which is--exactly as fun to head-canon and theorycraft as it sound. 

My inkling of interest in the series has grown a little more.