SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to write this time.

I'll try to write this time.

ffs, I've come up with  ressurrected this contest and I haven't participated in any round

Alright guys here it is: “Subvert the reader’s expectations. Write something that makes the reader think they know what’s going to happen next, then does something completely different.”

Edited by Shoblongoo

I bet at least three entries are gonna have the protag die.

I am excited for this one, but I'm not sure which setting I want to use yet...

25 minutes ago, Benice said:

I bet at least three entries are gonna have the protag die.

Bro don't call me out like that.

I'll see if I have time to write something on this, looks like a fun prompt.

1 minute ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

I mean.

I am usually aware of seasonal anime. And I want to read the Goblin Slayer light novel.

And with this season... hoo boy.

Good, then you should have on idea on my idea when I post it. Light Novel titles are fun

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

So who here reads light novels or keeps up with every new batch of seasonal anime? 

You speak to the man who has created his own Flugel and Dhampir OCs.

On 2/8/2020 at 4:42 PM, Shoblongoo said:

Alright guys here it is: “Subvert the reader’s expectations. Write something that makes the reader think they know what’s going to happen next, then does something completely different.”

Literally my entry from Round 18 then, ok. We'll see if I can pull a repeat of the events of R18(wait...wait...wait no).

14 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

You speak to the man who has created his own Flugel and Dhampir OCs.

Ah no game no life. A fascinating series. Shame about the plagiarism accusations though. Regardless, let’s just say I’m gonna play around with some trashy light novel tropes

9 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Ah no game no life. A fascinating series. Shame about the plagiarism accusations though. Regardless, let’s just say I’m gonna play around with some trashy light novel tropes

Dude, I still have no idea what that's even about, I only heard there were accusations and we weren't going to get a Season 2 because of it. Since the novels seem to be still going it doesn't super hurt me, which reminds me I still need to scrape another $10 together to get the most recently translated one, the sample bit was fascinating as always.

Oh shit, I'm first this time huh?  Well...

Fourth Wall Break.

Enjoy the scene Sharena created and the fact 3 H lost to Heroes again with this 1,400 word piece, though Edelgard is mentioned and Grima is as cat like as ever...

Edited by TheSilentChloey

On 2/6/2020 at 4:06 PM, Ottservia said:

I want to write something edgy. Dunno why just in the mood

I tremble in fear awaiting your entry.

Mine is shaping up kinda weird, I don't actually know if it'll subvert your expectations.

OOOookay! I'll be giving feedback early this time!

@TheSilentChloey

It was pretty good. I would reccomend changing the font for the song-poem-y part of it, because it was a bit hard to read. I liked the nuance. My biggest problem was that Alphonse was portrayed kinda weird. I know you have some kind of "Crazy summoner" thing going on, but Alphonse was the only character who was that different from normal. There was also a few punctuation errors, but nothing atrocious.

All in all, I liked it, the humour was enjoyable and I liked the childishness of the song-poem-y part. Keep up the good work!

Edited by Benice

53 minutes ago, Benice said:

I tremble in fear awaiting your entry.

Mine is shaping up kinda weird, I don't actually know if it'll subvert your expectations.

OOOookay! I'll be giving feedback early this time!

@TheSilentChloey

It was pretty good. I would reccomend changing the font for the song-poem-y part of it, because it was a bit hard to read. I liked the nuance. My biggest problem was that Alphonse was portrayed kinda weird. I know you have some kind of "Crazy summoner" thing going on, but Alphonse was the only character who was that different from normal. There was also a few punctuation errors, but nothing atrocious.

All in all, I liked it, the humour was enjoyable and I liked the childishness of the song-poem-y part. Keep up the good work!

You haven't met my Alfonse mate... XD

38 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

You haven't met my Alfonse mate... XD

Yeah, I felt like I was missing something there. Either way, I didn't feel like it detracted from the story, I just wanted to make sure it was intentional.

My entry is also done!

Title: The trials of a soldier

Words: 3, 406

Pre read notes:

Spoiler

It's a new world I'm starting to build called the Land of the Azure Lakes. It is largely within one country known as Urlicht. The main character in this story is part of the bad guys in the main story, which I'm planning to write as a non-entry if I win and get to choose a prompt. Fun fact: Even though a lot of the main terminology comes from a german composer named Gustav Mahler, the world was inspired by a russian composer's first symphony. (Vasily Kalinnikov, although I doubt anyone cares.) 

Blanik is the name of a mountain in bohemia which supposedly contains King Wenslecas and his armies. Hence his name, Blanik Wenslecas.

Actual entry:

Spoiler

“All units, prepare for battle!” A commander of the nation known as Urlicht bellowed. The command was heard all through the camp and obeyed in a precise and timely fashion. A rebellion had formed all of a sudden within the country and something needed to be done about it. Urlicht’s army was preparing to square off against one of the rebel forces in what was going to be the first true battle in the war. The soldiers donned their uniform deep blue armor, shields and weapons and marched to their positions for the battle. Trumpeters and percussionists drummed out a stirring melody to raise the soldiers’ morale as they left their tents.

Inside one of those tents was a youthful soldier named Blanik. He was just finishing up putting on his armor and was filled with nervous energy. This battle was to be his first. He had joined the military two years prior, rapidly passing all of the training and tests. Before leaving his tent, he opened up the pendant he always wore around his neck and kissed it softly. The pendant contained a small portrait his longtime friend (and crush), Windsor. They had both grown up in a small village named Gibraltar, where they quickly became inseparable. She was very adventurous, but loved reading too, just like Blanik. The pair spent countless hours exploring the woods around the tiny village. One day, while some soldiers visited the town, a large group of brigands attacked. The soldiers refused to help because the villagers had no money to offer them. Windsor and Blanik, with the help of some of the other villagers, fought off the bandits. Blanik realised how corrupt the military was, so he began training to join it so he could change things and help people. 

“This conflict… It’s disrupting the lives of innocent people like Windsor. That is why I must fight. I will protect my people.” Blanik spoke to himself. He rose, hefted his lance and joined the rest of the army.

The battle was occuring in the fields of Mahler. The Urlicht army was camped on a grassy, solid section of the field. The rebels would be coming from a lightly wooded swampy section of the field. The Urlicht army had a massive advantage, both in terrain and personnel. The rebel army was heard far before it was seen. The Urlicht commander shook his head. “No attempt to try to deceive or surprise us. The rebel army has no chance in this battle.” He laughed. Not long after, the first of the rebel army charged through the wood. Most of the rebels were stopped outright by the swamp. “Archers! Take aim at the enemies in the swamp and fire at will! Platoon 3C, advance until you reach the edge of the swamp!” The commander called out. Blanik obeyed and advanced alongside the rest of platoon 3C. Just as his platoon got into position, more rebels emerged from the woods, skirting around the swamp. Blanik was ordered to charge forward to meet them. An elderly man wielding a large sword charged towards Blanik, engaging him in combat. The man aggressively swiped at Blanik’s gut. Blanik stepped back, blocked the man’s follow-up attack and disarmed him with a fluid stroke. 

“Stand down or be killed.” Blanik told him, his lance pointed towards the man’s chest. The man laughed. “I am nothing but an old man. My death means nothing. I will die to fight for what I believe in! I will fight so my children and grandchildren don’t have to!” The man unsheathed a dagger and jabbed towards Blanik. Blanik grabbed the man’s arm and flipped him over. Blanik had him pinned, his lance pointed at the man’s back.

“Why do you fight? You know you are in the wrong.” The man said sadly, admitting his defeat.

“I will do what is best for my country.” Blanik raised his lance, preparing to stab the man. Blanik was a very strong man, but in that moment, he didn’t have the power to lower his lance. Blanik secured the man with a rope and took him back to the commander.

“What are you doing, you dolt? Why haven’t you killed him!” The commander stormed.

“A country is nothing without its people. He did not have to die, so he won’t die.” Blanik asserted. “Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure about that.” The commander swung his axe at the man’s neck faster than a pouncing cat. Blanik was quicker, meeting his commander’s blow to defend the man. Blanik pushed the axe away, lept into the air, dodged to his left and jabbed his commander’s arm.

“Treason! That’s treason! You’ll die a slow, horrible death at my hands, recruit!” He yelled in pain. While his commander did that, Blanik slapped him with the heel of his lance, sending him sprawling on the ground. 

“Wh-wh-what? Why? You-that’s not how this works!” The commander protested, Blanik’s lance held in front of his neck.

“I am a soldier. A soldier’s duty is to the country. I fight for the lives of people like my olf friend Windsor. I see more of Windsor in the rebels than I do in anyone else here.” Blanik dashed away, into the forest.

“After him! Platoons 4C, E and G, destroy the traitor!” The three platoons of men obliged, pursuing the fleeing Blanik. All of Blanik’s time spent in the forest in Gibraltar saved his life; he was hidden far away from the battlefield long before anyone could have gotten close to him. He was hidden underneath several felled trees in a stream.

Blanik laid there, shivering with the cold for a long, long time. He closed his eyes as silent tears rolled down his youthful face plentifully. All of the death… All of the pain… It was just too much for him to bear. He was an arrogant idiot for thinking he could change things for the better in Urlicht’s army. Blanik laid in his hiding spot for long after the sounds of the battle faded away.

After two days passed, Blanik finally spoke to himself. “I-I’ve really done it now, haven’t I? Windsor… I’m sorry! I’M SORRY!” He sobbed. The forest replied with poorly timed rain falling. 

“No… Windsor wouldn’t let me go out like this… I will survive… I will… I will get home, Windsor… I promise…I will see you again...” Blanik stood up shakily. His legs nearly collapsed underneath him from exhaustion and hunger. He persisted, rising from the creek as a deluge poured above the forest’s canopy. After struggling along for a while, he saw some mushrooms. “Oh… Gibraltar’s Grace mushrooms… These… These were always my favourite to eat… Windsor’s mum made the best mushroom stew with these...” He sat down and he ate and ate until he could fit nothing else into his stomach.

“Yes… I will make it! I will not perish here!” With the food giving him newfound optimism, Blanik set off with a fast pace, bringing along plenty of mushrooms if he needed them in the future.

Blanik had been travelling for two months and he still hadn’t seen anybody. The little confidence he had built up was waning very fast. The path had been long, arduous and lonely. He had survived by eating mushrooms, acorns and fruit, but they no longer brought him hope. On the seventy-third day since he had deserted, he laid down on the forest floor.

“I can’t do it. I’m too weak. Windsor wouldn’t want to see me anyways. I should just disappear.” He muttered to himself over and over. He drifted off to sleep, muttering those words under his breath. While he slept, he had a dream.

“Wake up, sleepyhead! I made you breakfast!” Windsor’s cheerful voice awoke Blanik from his slumber. He was in a comfortable, warm bed in a well-light room. He saw Windsor standing there, holding a platter of pastries. She was so beautiful and kind… a morning could never go badly if he saw Windsor. 

“Oh good, you’re awake! I baked these for you this morning! You’ve been so busy lately, since you’re now the village celebrity, so I wanted to help out!” She handed Blanik one of the pastries. It was warm, buttery, flaky, masterfully sweet, refreshing, perfect. It’s how Blanik always thought Windsor’s personality would taste like if you could put it on a plate. She kissed his forehead as he ate. 

“Don’t worry, you little glutton. There’s plenty more where that came from!”

Once Blanik was done eating, she sat down on his bed, looking slightly nervous.

“So… how’s your arm doing?” She asked. Blanik looked at his arm. A small line was there, but nothing else. Inside the dream, Blanik could recall a tough lance practice the previous night.

“It’s… surprisingly fine, given what happened to it last night. I swear, you must put healing potions into those pastries!” Blanik exclaimed.

“Oh! That’s good! Yeah... very good… right.” Windsor’s cheerful face slowly fell.

“What’s wrong?” Asked Blanik.

“Well… You’ve gotten strong enough that you can recover overnight from practically any form of exhaustion. You’re perfectly conditioned for battle. Which means… th-that it’s your last day here in this village. You’re leaving for the fort to-tomorrow at d-dawn.” Windsor’s voice began to break.

“Hey, it’s okay! I’m still here for now. We’ve still got a few hours left together. Besides, I’ll always return here whenever possible. I’m here for you, even if I’m not physically going to be here for much longer. C’mon, let’s go end off our time here with the best day ever!” Blanik consoled her.

Windsor sniffed, her face reforming her bright smile. “Yes, you’re absolutely right. I want to be with you whenever possible.” Blanik and Windsor smiled at each other. “Let’s go!” They cried in unison. 

The rest of their day was spent exploring the forest as if it were a greatest hits tour. They ran through the forests, they laughed in the streams, they climbed every tree in sight. They sang together in perfect harmony as they tried their utmost to absorb every memory of each other from the day. 

The sun was about to set, and they had one last thing to do. There was a creek in the middle of the forest, and one of the pair’s favourite pastimes was to build boats and follow them along the creek. They had sent over four hundred of them over their time together. But this one would be their last for a very long time. It was the finest ship they had built yet; proudly written on the side was the word, “Friendship.” It was a pun, it was mostly accurate to the situation and it was beautiful. Blanik and Windsor sent the ship off across the creek. 

“Friendship is a boat we’re always going to be on together. It will span across all creeks, no matter what happens. I know that for certain, we will always be this close.” Blanik said poetically.

Night had fallen, and the full moon was high in the sky. The two laid next to each other in their tree fort, admiring the stars. Windsor pulled herself closer to Blanik, rested her cheek on his chest and wrapped her arms around him gently. Not long after, she nodded off to sleep. Blanik was thankful for the darkness, because Windsor couldn’t see how much he was blushing. However, he wrapped his arms around her too and fell asleep.

The two woke up to the rising sun. They were sad, because they knew it was time for Blanik to leave. They walked slowly back to the village, procrastinating. No amount of lollygagging would stop them from arriving. Blanik grabbed his bags and equipment and went into the main street of the village.

“I guess that means we really do have to say goodbye now.” Sighed Windsor as she saw him walking towards the exit of the town, where she was waiting.

“Windsor. I am so glad I met you. Without you, I wouldn’t be the same person at all. I want to help people like you who are worth laying my life on the line for. Thank you. Thank you for everything. And… and I… Lo-er, like you a lot.” Blanik cursed internally for not admitting his feelings, but he knew it was a bit too late to change back that comment.

“Blanik, you’re the perfect person for me. You are the best thing that has and ever will happen to me. I just hope you remember me for more than my food. Also, here. Do you have your pendant?” Windsor asked.

“Of course.” Blanik responded shortly. Blanik gave Windsor a pendant containing a small portrait of him, and Windsor did the same thing.

“Err… Umm, well, Blanik, there’s something important I need to tell you.” Windsor stuttered nervously. 

“I’m all ears.” Blanik replied.

“I… I… Actually, how about I tell you when you get back? That way, you have something to look forward to when you return.” 

“Of course. I will return to you. I promise. I don’t care what it costs me, but I will return.”

“Well, that’s all I needed to feel safe. A promise from you is a sure thing. Farewell, sleepyhead. You’d better get going, or you’re going to be late!” Blanik turned to leave after hearing those words. 

“Goodbye everyone! I’ll see you all later!” Blanik yelled back to the village as he walked off. Several of the villagers had woken up to see Blanik off, including his lance instructor.

“Kid, I know you’re strong enough for the real world.” He yelled at him.

Blanik woke up in real life. Windsor wasn’t lying next to him in their treefort. It had all been a dream. No… it was a memory. Blanik started to remember that day. Blanik started to remember all the joy, the laughter, the love for life he had. He remembered his promise.

“Windsor, I will see you again! I will! I WILL! And I will tell you how I feel!” He bellowed, setting off once again at a very fast clip. After a few hours, Blanik heard voices. Laughter. Singing.

“Carnival! It’s a carnival! I made it back to somewhere! I hope nobody recognizes me…” Blanik peered through a bush, where cheerful music boomed. He saw tons of buildings, people and guards. Before Blanik could lose his nerve, he went out into the open.

Blanik managed to avoid major confrontation for a while, asking people where he was.

“Obviously, we’re in Gustavton! You might need to cut down on that ale, mate.” One friendly citizen told him.

“Gustavton, the capital. How did I end up here?” He asked himself. Blanik was dead tired, and he needed a bath. He had a fair amount of money on him, so he walked down the street to try to find a hotel. Just as he was about to open the door to one, he heard someone yell loudly.

“Everybody! Blanik’s here! Blanik survived! Oh my gosh!” Blanik looked down the street where he saw lots of gathered attention. 

“Oh no, here comes the angry mob! How pathetic would that be of a death?” Blanik ran as fast as he could. However, he was tired and was wearing heavy armor that was not designed for speed per se. The citizens were not and he was quickly run down. 

“Hip hip hurray! Three cheers for Blanik the saviour!” The crowd cheered as a whole. Soon, even the guards joined in. Blanik discovered something even more confusing than girls: city folk. Blanik didn’t even want to think about trying to understand city girls. The crowd eventually dispersed, putting him down when the guards came up to him. 

“King Alcala requests your presence.” They said. Blanik gulped. The man was famously corrupt, had at least 852 mistresses, not including his wives. If you didn’t own anything of value, your life wasn’t of value. He was the central person Blanik had hoped to oppose. Blanik feared he would be killed slowly. Perhaps over a fire, or in a torturer’s chamber.

Blanik was utterly repulsed by the interior of the castle. It was opulent. Far too opulent. It passed the “dedication to the arts” mark and hit the “I’m so disgustingly rich, I’m gonna live in pointless luxury and have more wives and mistresses than women you will ever meet! The second point was highlighted by the density of dancers who looked like they would have given anything to escape their fate. After walking through about three kilometers of the king flexing his wealth, he arrived at the throne room. The room had 25 dancers who looked even more stressed than the ones farther away. Sitting a large throne was King Alcala. He was about 6’8, had muscular arms, a scruffy beard and cruel eyes. Other than his pathetic beard, King Alcala was very handsome.

“Blanik Wenslecas.” His deep voice boomed across the throne room.

“Yes, your majesty?” Blanik bowed and answered respectfully.

“Your actions, they can be described as nothing but pure military genius! Deceiving your commander to assign many men to defend against a large group of enemies about to outflank you? Brilliant! We thought you’d died in your heroic attempt, so we posthumously promoted you to palace guard. Congratulations! You start tomorrow. Oh, do not look so sad. I will reward you farther. I will give you three hundred thousand gold. Oh. and how many of my dancers do you want? A troupe from another province is coming soon, so I should be able to stock up a bit more.” The king laughed. Blanik was stunned. He was going to say no to getting dancers, but he changed his mind, realizing he could free them.

“Ten, please, your majesty.” Blanik bowed again.

“Only ten? You’re a pious man! I like it! Oh, you look like you have something else you want to say. Go ahead, spit it out.”

“Your majesty, I request a one-month leave to go to Gibraltar.” Blanik stated boldly.

“Gibraltar? Why would you want to go there? There’s practically no one left there. They all left when some girl was apparently one of the “chosen ones” or some of that saaa. They left the village to go join the treasonous rebel army. I haven’t burned it down yet since there’s four people there, but eh, I might change my mind later. You are dismissed. Tomorrow you will be in front of the gates. And don’t forget your dancers!” Blanik bowed, turned and left the room, followed by his retinue of dancers. Blanik was silent all the way to the gate, where the guards who took him to the king left him. Blanik then gave each of the dancers ten thousand dollars and told them to go live a better life. They obeyed happily. Blanik then checked into the hotel he had seen earlier, got to his room and collapsed on the floor.

“Windsor, I… I… When I see you next, I fear greatly that it’s going to be on the end of my lance! Oh, how I wish I could join you, but it’s too late! I’M SORRY!” He sobbed. 

“Windsor...Oh, Windsor, please stay safe! I don’t know if I can survive your death!” 

FAR AWAY FROM THE CAPITAL, A WEEK LATER…

“What? WHAT? NO! It can’t be true! Blanik… Blanik’s dead? I didn’t get to tell him how I felt! No! I… I didn’t want it to end like this!” Sobbed Windsor.

“Well, I mean, there is a possibility that he survived, since they say he was found and it’s got credible people who reported it…” One of the other rebels, Lumir, continued to read the old newspaper.

“Yes! Oh please let my Blanik be alive!” Sniffed Windsor.

“But, it sounds like if he is, he’s been promoted and is assigned to be one of the king’s guards. Yup, it has him listed here. Blanik Wenslecas, Alcala hall palace defender.” Lumir continued.

“WHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??? That-that’s not possible! He’s my precious piece of perfection! He can’t-he just can’t… have changed enough to be like the king, could he?” Protested Windsor.

“Well, the good news is that if we make it to the capital, you might get to see him on the battlefield.” Lumir tried to be optimistic.

“THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING!” Windsor stormed out of the room.

“I guess being positive just isn’t my thing.” Lumir sighed.

I have something too! I like how it turned out, I just can't know for sure if I tackled the prompt well. I'd have to know if I really am giving readers a surprise here.

I went back to some characters I did write in here before, but I haven't done for quite some time! 🙂 It ended up a little long, but I feel the length is worth it. It's also closely connected to a past entry I wrote.

Title: The Lessons in Life
Fandom: Fire Emblem (Tellius)
Words: 7356

Spoiler

The Lessons in Life

A teenage boy with unruly blue hair and striking auburn eyes picked at some of the food on his dinner plate, not bringing any of it to his mouth. He simply sighed and stared at it, resting one side of his head on his hand. A younger teenage girl sitting across from him noticed, her curly green ponytail bouncing a little. Her storm blue eyes blinked at him.

“Wow, Kael isn’t bothering with the meat in front of him,” she said. “What’s going on in the world?”

“Shut up, Lalita,” Kael grunted, and then more or less forced a bite of chicken into his mouth. He had to eat something eventually.

“Hey, don’t start, you two,” a middle-aged man with slightly grayish blue hair and Lalita’s eye color stepped in, sitting on Kael’s left and Lalita’s right. “Just eat.”

“Kael, come now,” an equally middle-aged woman with a similar hair color to Lalita’s added, sitting opposite to the man. “Are you alright, sweetie? I realize the past couple days have been rather upsetting, but you have to accept the punishment you’ve been given.”

“I know, Mom…” Kael understood. “It’s not that. I do accept it. I just can’t believe I messed up like that. What was supposed to be a friendly spar with Cam turned into a shouting match with some guy after my sword struck his window. I should’ve known we could accidentally wreck something… We both should’ve paid more attention to our surroundings. I thought I was getting off to a good start as a mercenary and then this happens and I get myself grounded.”

“Well, I’m pleased to hear that you’re generally being mature about this,” the man replied. “But I understand. It would be disappointing to make such a mistake. And yet, owning up to it still shows progress, Kael.”

Kael perked up a little at these words.

“Really, Dad?” he wondered.

“Of course. You’re learning from it, and that’s natural,” Ike continued, giving his son a smile. “Also, let me tell you something else. I wasn’t any different when I was your age and just starting out with my own father’s group. I screwed up real fast.”

You, Father? Make a mistake like that?” Lalita said, going wide-eyed. “I can’t picture this at all.”

“Well, believe it or not, yes,” Ike confirmed. “Your Uncle Boyd never lets me hear the end of it whenever I see him. Not long after my first mission, Rolf and your Aunt Mist were out picking flowers one day when they disappeared. We’d gotten word in a letter that they’d been taken by bandits who wanted a ransom or payback or something. I can’t remember what, exactly. But anyway, Titania ordered us to wait until she came back with reinforcements. But stubborn teenage me decided to disobey and go after my sister and her friend anyway. Uncle Boyd, Oscar, and Rhys followed me. I’m pretty sure I nearly got at least some of us killed.”

“Whoa,” Kael commented. “That’s pretty crazy… And…I’m guessing Grandfather grounded you too?”

“He decided to ground all of us, actually,” Ike said with a chuckle. “But he also postponed the punishment because we had our hands full with jobs at the time.”

“Heh, Grandfather never held back, did he?” Lalita commented just before taking a bite of vegetables.

“Nope. He always made sure to get his point across. Though whenever Uncle Boyd decides to tease me about that incident, I just bring up the fact that he broke his axe on his first mission. Heh heh.”

Kael then suddenly began cracking up.

“Hahaha! Oh man, that is hysterical!” he said. “But I feel better now, Dad. Thanks. I’ll still be sure to pay off the damage to that guy’s place when I can like I promised, too.”

“Good to hear! And you’re welcome,” Ike replied, giving his son a pat on his shoulder.

“Well, I’m glad to see the conversation has gotten livelier,” Elincia said with a smile as she ate. “You’ll do great, Kael. I just know it!”

“Yeah. I’ll make sure to, Mom,” Kael agreed, finally beginning to shovel chicken into his mouth.

After dinner was over, Kael had gone back to his room while Elincia and Lalita began cleaning up. Ike went through their funds and would clean his sword afterward. He’d completed a job earlier and ended up gutting a couple of bandits. Roughly an hour and a half passed and the sun had nearly dipped entirely below the horizon. Ike was still in the middle of polishing his blade when he heard a knock at the house’s front door. He got up to answer it, as Elincia was upstairs bathing and changing.

He opened the door to see two armed guards standing before him, both carrying lances and shields. By their light golden armor, Ike could easily tell that they were Elhorhi soldiers, perhaps straight from the earldom castle. For whatever reason, neither one of them looked very pleased to be making this visit. Ike blinked before speaking, finding their appearance quite unexpected.

“Uh, can I help you? If you’re looking to hire me this late in the day, it better be for a good reason,” he said, knowing how much of a reputation he had. Ike was famous throughout two different continents for several deeds he’d accomplished in his younger days.

“Oh, no, Sir Ike,” one of the guards replied. “We’re here about something very different. Is your son home?”

“Er, yes, Kael is,” Ike confirmed, his tone beginning to grow defensive. “What do you want with him?”

“We need him to come with us,” the second guard said. “He is in very much trouble.”

“What? What kind of trouble? What the hell are you talking about?” Ike demanded.

“Hey, watch it,” the first guard warned. “Just because you’re famous and on friendly terms with the earl and Talgria royalty doesn’t mean you or your family can behave however you wish.”

“I am well aware of that. Now why are you saying my son is in trouble? He’s already begun paying for the damage he caused to that man’s house,” Ike pointed out, folding his arms.

“Oh, this isn’t about that incident,” the second guard countered. “Your boy apparently doesn’t actually care if he damages other people’s property. A pair of windows on the house next door were bashed in earlier today and evidence points to your son. Your kid’s a lowlife vandal!”

Ike now couldn’t believe at all what he was hearing, his eyes widening to the point of bulging from their sockets.

“What?!” he gasped. “That’s completely ridiculous! My wife and I made sure he knows not to pull such a stunt again! What could you possibly have that implicates Kael?!”

“Oh, just marks on the glass that are identical to the ones he left on the first house, as well as a small piece of his blue cape.”

“…What? How…?” Ike stuttered. Now he was really confused. He sighed as he brought a hand to his face, muttering the words “Damn it all…”

“Now please bring your son out here,” the first guard insisted.

“…Very well,” Ike agreed, desperately hoping there was still some kind of mistake. He was sure Kael was a good kid and that he’d taught him properly. And Kael’s best friend, Cameron, while somewhat prone to trouble, wouldn’t purposely damage property either. However, Ike had also heard before that sometimes, there are things that children don’t even want their parents to hear or know. Could Kael be doing something like that for whatever reason? Ike then angrily turned around to peer up the nearby staircase in his house.

“KAEL!” he yelled. “Get your ass down here!”

Within a few seconds, Kael emerged from upstairs and began descending the staircase. Lalita and a newly freshened up Elincia soon followed, having begun to overhear the commotion.

“Dad, what’s wrong? Why are you angry all of a sudden?” Kael wondered as he got to the bottom of the stairs, arching an eyebrow.

“Ike, dear, is everything alright?” Elincia added. “Why are there guards here?”

“Kael, why are these two telling me that you wrecked two more windows on another house?” Ike immediately inquired. “You weren’t even supposed to be going out today!”

Now Kael was the one whose eyes were widening.

“Huh?! I have no idea!” he said. “I didn’t sneak out at all!”

“Nice try, kid,” one of the guards spoke up. “We saw that that damage has your name written all over it.”

Ike gave his son a very stern look.

“What?! Dad, no! I swear to the goddess!” Kael desperately insisted. “I’ve been here all day. Someone must be setting me up! You’ve gotta believe me!”

“Father, Kael’s being honest,” Lalita stepped in. “I saw him several times here today. He couldn’t have left. Not long enough to do what they’re saying he did, anyway.”

“See, exactly.”

“…Well then,” Ike finally said, feeling some relief and turning to the guards. “It sounds like someone’s trying to get my son into more trouble. He’s not guilty of this.”

“Can you prove that someone framed him?” the other guard retorted.

“Can you prove that no one didn’t? Look, if my son says he didn’t do it, he didn’t do it. My wife and I taught our kids to tell the truth. Now leave.”

At this, the guards were silent for a moment. They had to admit that Ike had a point here.

“Fair enough,” one finally said. “We’ll go. But we have to ask that you and your son meet with the Dawn Village magistrate at the village courthouse tomorrow to sort this out. With no proof of anything, your son still has to clear himself if he is indeed innocent. We cannot have a vandal going around and destroying people’s homes.”

“Fine by me,” Ike agreed. “Good day to you.”

With that, the guards left and Ike shut the door, though he’d nearly slammed it. There was a silence for the next few moments.

“Oh dear…” Elincia commented, finally breaking it. “Kael, is someone after you? Is there something you haven’t told your father and I?”

“Huh? No, Mom,” Kael replied. “I’ve no clue what’s going on at all. I can’t think of anyone around here that would want to do this to me.”

“Me neither,” Lalita added and brought her hands to her hips. “To think someone has the nerve!”

“Well, you’re not off the hook,” Ike sternly replied. “Even though you didn’t ask for some fool to frame you, Kael, this also wouldn’t be happening if you hadn’t gotten in trouble the first time. You will be going with me to that courthouse first thing in the morning to get this nonsense cleared up.”

“Yes, Dad… And I am really sorry. Honest,” Kael assured. “I never wanted any of this to happen.”

“I believe you, don’t worry.”

“We should all go, Ike,” Elincia suggested. “Don’t forget, I was once part of a royal court myself. Character witnesses are helpful in the right circumstances. And Lalita can testify that Kael was here while the crime was being committed.”

“Yeah, that’s right!” Lalita realized. “I can say for sure he was here, as I said. And I want to do what I can to help my brother.”

“Hmm… That is a fair point,” Ike agreed, bringing two fingers to his goatee in thought. “Alright, we’ll all go. And if character witnesses can help that much, let’s pick up Cam too. He knows Kael just as well as any of us.”

“Yeah, great idea!” Kael agreed. “Cam won’t hesitate to defend me if he needs to. And thanks to you too, Sis.”

“Sure thing, Kael!” Lalita said with a smile. “You may be a dolt sometimes, but it doesn’t mean you’re not a great brother.”

“Hey! Come on!”

“Sheesh, I’m messing with you! Honestly.”

“Hmph…”

“Hey, let’s get back to the subject at hand,” Ike interrupted. “Now, Kael, one thing I learned about whoever’s trying to frame you… It has to be someone who knows you. They managed to leave behind a piece of your cape and use the same move with the same weapon that you did. The guards reported that the marks on the glass were the same as the ones you left. Or at least very similar.”

At this, Kael’s eyes widened, a sudden tinge of fear rushing through him.

“The same…weapon and marks?!” he said. “But the weapon I was using in that spar with Cam was…!”

Kael gasped and suddenly turned around to rush down the hall. He went to the closet in which the locked case containing the family’s everyday weapons sat. Moments later, his voice rang out angrily.

“NO! DAMN IT!”

“Kael, what’s happened?” Elincia worriedly inquired.

“…Wait a minute, Kael, you can’t be saying—!” Ike added as Kael returned to his parents and sister.

“…Yeah, I can’t believe this! That regal sword you gave me is gone!” Kael reported. “Not only was I set up, I’ve also been robbed! Whoever’s behind all of this is going to pay!”

The regal sword was a unique and uncommon weapon that did indeed make rather specific marks and cuts on its target. It was designed to pierce heavy armor as well as give the wielder more of an advantage over horseback opponents. It also wasn’t a cheap sword, so the idea that his was stolen easily crossed Kael’s mind.

“What?!” Elincia gasped. “But how could someone have gotten in here and opened that case without any of us knowing?”

“By being very smart and stealthy,” Ike angrily replied. “They probably did it last night or early this morning. I haven’t been in that closet lately because I took Ettardios for my latest job and you three haven’t had reason to go in it today either. Night would’ve been the best opportunity to rip a piece of Kael’s cape too since he obviously doesn’t wear it to bed. Our locks are pretty good though, this thief had to have been some kind of professional. Kael, is your sword all that was taken?”

“Yeah,” Kael confirmed. “The other swords are still there, as is everything else in the closet. This is so infuriating! I promised you I’d take good care of that regal sword, Dad… It was the same weapon you started out with. Lady Azura had one too. And now I go and lose mine… I’m so sorry…”

“This isn’t your fault. You secured it as best as any of us could,” Ike assured. “And now we really have reason to go to the courthouse first thing tomorrow. This has to be reported.”

“I agree,” Kael said. “This still makes me furious though…”

For the rest of the evening, and even while he was trying to sleep for the night, Kael repeatedly pondered his new situation. Who could be out to get him like this, and why? He didn’t have much of a reputation as a mercenary yet. He’d only completed a couple small jobs so far since he was still a novice. He couldn’t have possibly made many capable enemies, and certainly none in his home of Dawn Village. The village wasn’t as big as the nearby towns of Narcoss and Elhorhi and Kael knew a lot of people there, some since he was little.

Yet, a professional thief had gone to significant lengths to make him look bad. Or…perhaps this person was hired? And…what if Kael himself wasn’t who the grudge was against and the responsible party was actually looking to get his father’s attention? Ike certainly had been targeted in the past from what Kael knew, although the most notable incidents had been years ago. He had no shortage of enemies either, due to his reputation being so widespread. Throughout both the continents of Tellius and Altarais, he was known as a legendary hero for his key role in ending wars in the former twice and his strength had been highly valued in a continent-wide conflict in the latter. All of this led him to encounter all kinds of people, some of which he had to fight against. It wouldn’t be hard to find someone with motive to use Ike’s family to get to him.

The next morning, everyone was dressed and ate breakfast as quickly as possible. They also each armed themselves just to be on the safe side. Lalita was still in training and hadn’t yet attempted an official mercenary mission, but she was very close to being able to join her father and brother in one. After everyone was ready, they began the walk to Cameron’s home, which thankfully was on the way to the courthouse. It was also towards the direction in which Elhorhi Town was in due to Cameron’s parents both being knights at the Elhorhi Castle, where the earl, Lady Azura, ruled her lands. Cameron himself was a knight in training as well.

The group hadn’t gotten far, however, before a neighbor’s front door suddenly opened and an elderly woman appeared from it. As quickly as her old legs could carry her, she approached them.

“Oh, Ike and Elincia! And the children too,” she said. “I saw some of what was going on last night. What happened? Is there something I can do to help?”

“Ah, Miriam,” Elincia greeted. “It’s nice to see you! I’m afraid Kael’s been accused of a crime he didn’t commit and we’re going to clear his name.”

“What?! Oh my word!” Miriam gasped. “That is awful. I cannot believe Kael would be involved in any crime. He’s a good boy. Let me join you and testify on his behalf. I’ve known all of you long enough.”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Ike agreed. “We’re so lucky to have you as a neighbor. I feel bad that I didn’t think of you at first when we’ve been friends for years now.”

“It’s all good,” Miriam replied with a smile. “I understand this is a serious situation and I’m not surprised some things slipped your mind. It’ll take me some time to get ready though, so I’ll meet up with you at the courthouse in a little while. That is where you’re going, right?”

“Yeah,” Ike confirmed. “Don’t feel you have to rush though, we’ll make sure you’ll get a chance to speak and we’ll have some more help as well.”

“Alright, thank you.”

With that, the old family friend returned to her home to get herself ready and Ike and the others resumed the trip to Cameron’s home.

Kael immediately knocked on the door once they arrived there, knowing Cameron had to be there since his parents, particularly his mother, had surely given him an earful and some kind of punishment for the first broken window too. And within a minute, he had answered it. His light purple hair was a little unruly, likely due to Cameron probably being rather bored after being handed punishment.

“Whoa, Kael? And Lalita and your parents?” He said, his eyes widening a little in surprise. “What are all of you doing here?”

“Hey, Cam, my dad and I need your help,” Kael replied.

“Oh. Ugh, I’m sorry, but my mom screamed at me for what happened and I’m not allowed to leave the house for the next couple days,” Cameron said. “I’m lucky I’m not stuck in my room. My dad convinced my mom to go a bit lighter than that on me here since it was an accident and we promised not to let it happen again.”

“I get that, but I’m afraid this is an emergency,” Kael continued and explained what occurred at his door the night before. Cameron’s eyes widened even further as he took in what his best friend was saying.

“What?! No kidding!” he commented. “Some idiot is trying to frame you and they stole your sword?! That’s insane.”

“Yeah, and we think you can help prove me innocent. Don’t worry about what Sir Marc and Lady Leona would think, they’ll completely understand when they hear what happened.”

“Whoa… Well, in that case, of course I want to help! No one messes with my best buddy. But what can I do? I didn’t see what went on at that other house.”

“You can be a character witness,” Ike explained. “We’re going to the courthouse to settle the matter. You’re one of the people that really knows my son.”

“Oh! Right! That sounds good to me then. Give me a few minutes and I’ll be back out here quickly.”

The others agreed and waited while Cameron readied himself. Just as he’d said, he was back outside within minutes and saddled up his horse, Caramel. He then rode alongside the others as they continued to the courthouse.

It only took the group around fifteen more minutes to arrive at the courthouse near the center of the village. After Cameron tied Caramel to a hitching post outside, the group approached the guards outside and explained the reasoning for their arrival. They said the magistrate would meet them soon and that they would have to be patient in the meantime.

“I swear though, when I get my hands on who did this…” Kael began to threaten.

“I’m with you, just let me find out who to point my lance at,” Cameron agreed.

“Boys, don’t be too hasty now,” Ike advised. “Yes, we have to punish the real culprit, but you also don’t want to cause yourselves anymore trouble than you’ve already been in.”

“How else am I supposed to get my sword back, Dad?” Kael wondered. “They probably won’t give it up without a fight and I intend to fight for it! Even kill if it comes to that! I treasure that sword so much since it was a gift from you and my first real weapon…”

“I understand that, Kael,” Ike replied. “But we have to see what happens first.”

“Yes, dear, just be patient,” Elincia added. “We’ll get the sword back, don’t worry.”

“Should’ve guessed you two might think about doing something stupid,” Lalita put in, rolling her eyes.

“Oh shut up!” Kael retorted. “What if someone took one of your precious hair accessories or dresses that Mom or Nancy gave you? What then?”

“Well, I wouldn’t blindly go attacking the culprit instead of asking questions!”

“We didn’t say we were doing that!”

“Yeah, though if someone were to swipe Caramel or something else I valued, you’d better believe I’d want to beat the snot out of them!” Cameron added.

“Alright, knock it off, all of you,” Ike stepped in. “This is no time to argue.”

Suddenly, a familiar feminine voice spoke up from nearby.

“Heh, you guys never change,” she said.

Behind the group was a girl close in age to Kael, Lalita, and Cameron. Red-orange hair reached an inch or two past her shoulders and part of it was tied back by a gold clip. She had brown eyes and was garbed in magenta armor.

“Nancy!” Lalita greeted. “Hey!”

“Hiya, everyone!” Nancy greeted and gave her closest female friend a hug. “Great to see you!”

“Hey, Nan,” Kael greeted.

“Wow, what brings you here?” Cameron wondered.

“Ah, I happened to be here in town looking into something for my parents,” Nancy replied. “And I received word of what happened with Kael. I came by to help investigate and oversee any potential trial, since I’m the daughter of the earl.”

“That makes sense,” Ike replied. “You’re another longtime friend of my son’s though, you can vouch for his character. Cam’s here to do that too.”

“I would like to do that, yeah,” Nancy agreed. “But I’m afraid my position forbids me to officially take sides or allow any bias to get in the way. I have to consider everything and make sure it’s all done by the book. I can’t just automatically allow Kael to be cleared because he’s my friend. I’m sorry…”

“I understand, Nan,” Kael replied. “You just do what you have to.”

“Right. Thanks!” Nancy said.

Nancy then squinted for a moment and peered past the group at the edge of the courthouse building. Just past there was a narrow street.

“Hey, what’s up, Nancy? You see something?” Lalita wondered.

“…Yeah. I thought I saw something dart around the corner over there,” Nancy confirmed. “It was a blur of black and purple and it also seemed like whatever or whoever it was might’ve been watching us.”

“Hey, if that’s the case, that might be who caused this fiasco!” Kael realized. “I’m going after them.”

The young mercenary then darted away towards the street the supposed suspect fled down.

“Ah, wait for me!” Cam added.

“Kael, you idiot!” Lalita snapped. “You’re probably jumping to conclusions! Ugh… Come on, Nancy.”

“Kael! Slow down!” Ike shouted. “Elincia, can you stay here and wait for the magistrate?”

“Oh, of course. Just be careful,” Elincia agreed.

Ike obliged and went after his son and the others.

As they all investigated the narrow street, Kael began to look in every direction for the supposed suspect.

“Alright, show yourself!” Kael demanded. “If whoever we saw run this way stole my sword and tried to get me locked up, you’re in for it!”

“Kael, you better be smart about this,” Ike ordered. “Or else I might extend your grounding. Is that clear?”

“Yeah, I get it, Dad.”

Suddenly, Cameron shrieked, causing the girls and Ike to jump.

“KAEL! ABOVE YOU!”

Kael looked up to see a black and purple figure drop down on him from above, and a female battle cry pierce his ears.

“I’VE GOT YOU NOW!” she shouted as she forced her entire weight on Kael’s back side.

“KAEL!” Ike shouted.

The impact nearly forced Kael to the ground, but thankfully he was heavy and strong enough to just drop to one knee.

“Oh no you don’t!” Kael retaliated, standing upright again and then backed into a nearby wall as hard as he could, sandwiching the girl between it and himself.

“Aaagh!” the girl grunted as Kael whirled and drew the replacement sword he’d brought.

Cameron also rushed into grab the girl by her arms. However, the girl wasn’t giving up without a fight and raised a dagger after rising to her feet. She tried to escape Cameron’s grip as she pointed the dagger at him. Ike then joined in, and as anyone would expect, his large arms and immense strength easily overpowered the girl and he yanked her away from the two boys. The veteran mercenary then threw her to the ground nearby.

A second later, the guards from the courthouse came running in, having overheard the shouting.

“Hey, what in blazes is going on back here?” one inquired.

“Oh my goddess!” Cameron gasped when he saw what was attached to the girl’s belt. “Kael! She actually does have your sword! She’s the one who did this!”

“This little girl?” the other guard said. “Come on now. She can be any more than fourteen or fifteen.”

“You’re right, Cam!” Kael realized. “Guards, that is my sword. I swear it. She set me up!”

“Hmm, I see,” the first guard said. “Let’s take her in for questioning then, and see if she confesses.”

“Then I’m going to rejoin my wife at the door since we’ve got our suspect now,” Ike told the guards. “The magistrate is probably there by now. I’ll meet the rest of you inside.”

The others agreed and Ike quickly went back to the courthouse entrance. Meanwhile, the guards approached the girl.

“No!” the girl angrily protested as she was forced to her feet. “I’m not going anywhere! Not until I’m done with him!”

Suddenly, Kael felt a ping of familiarity and his anger subsided a little.

“Wait a minute… I know that voice from somewhere,” he said.

“Huh?” Lalita and Nancy wondered confusedly.

As the two guards picked the girl up despite her struggling to get away, the group got a much better look at her. She had messy black pigtails and dark red eyes, and was garbed in a purple top and dark red pants. The girl glared at Kael profusely.

“Hold on…” Kael began gain, his eyes widening until they nearly bulged out of their sockets. “I…I know you! You’re that girl from the thief group that tried to rob Castle Elhorhi! The one we busted on my first mission!”

“…Wait, yeah! I remember too! I was the one that subdued you!” Cameron realized.

“Hmph!” the girl growled. “Yeah, that’s right! And yeah, I set you up! You deserve to be punished HARD! I’m not giving back this sword either! I call it a consolation prize.”

“Ah, so you do confess!” one of the guards replied. “That’s that then, you’re coming with us, young lady. No more vandalizing for you. And we will be returning the sword.”

“UGH! GET OFF ME!” the girl screamed, still struggling.

Kael couldn’t speak for the next few moments, needing to let it sink in what he had just found out. Lalita and Nancy remained dumbfounded and didn’t say anything right away either. Kael now had a much better idea of what had happened, and knew he had to say something fast if he was to truly to put an end to all of this. He shook himself out of his trance and sheathed his replacement sword. He then rushed to the guards and girl.

“Wait!” he urged them, causing the trio to pause where they stood. “Don’t…take her. I’ve decided not to press any charges. I’d like to let her go.”

“WHAT?!” Cameron gasped. “Kael, are you out of your mind?! She tried to have you jailed! She had no right!”

“You ought to listen to your friend, son,” one of the guards advised. “She committed a very punishable offense.”

“I agree, she did,” Kael continued. “But I…I know why she did this. And I can understand it.”

“…Are you sure, young man?” the other guard wondered, arching an eyebrow. “Because I do say again, you have every right to ask her to be locked away.”

“I’m positive,” Kael assured and then turned to his sister and friends. “Can you guys go let my parents and the magistrate know what’s happening here? I’d like to talk to the girl before I go in. I’ll explain later.”

“Oh, fine,” Cameron agreed. “I do hope you know what you’re doing!”

“Yeah, and don’t come crying to us if this backfires later!” Lalita added.

“I have to agree here, Kael,” Nancy added. “Good luck though.”

“Thanks, guys,” Kael replied and turned to the guards again as his sister and friends departed for the building door.

“Now, can you let her go, please?” he asked. “As I said, I can explain after I’m done here.”

“…Well, alright then,” the first guard agreed. “Your choice. Hope it was a good one.”

With that, the guards released the girl and returned to their posts at the courthouse. The next couple seconds were silent as the girl dropped to her knees, now in some discomfort from the blows she had taken during the struggle. She didn’t attempt to attack Kael this time, even though he could still see anger and sadness in her eyes.

“Why… Why did you do that?” she wondered. “After what I’ve put you through?”

“Well, because…I don’t really believe you’re a bad person,” Kael replied. “I’m sorry I was angry before. Had I known it was you before, well… Yeah.”

“…What?” the girl uttered. “Hmph. I still have a score to settle with you! I’ll fight you if I have to!”

“I won’t do that. You can’t do much in your condition. You’re sore from when I rammed you in the wall,” Kael pointed out. “I can tell.”

“I don’t have a choice, you murdering mongrel!” the girl retorted, slowly standing up and raising her dagger again. “You took EVERYTHING FROM ME!”

“I know that!” Kael replied, raising his hands. “And believe me, I’m really sorry for it! I can see that you cared a lot for your brother. If something happened to my sister…I’d be livid too.”

“Then you see why you have to pay!”

“I wish I could pay for it in some way, I really do. I’m telling you though, it was an accident! I didn’t mean to kill your brother! I was just trying to do my job and subdue him and he fell over the cliff. I swear to you on my life. Though your group shouldn’t have tried to rob the castle in the first place.”

“…I did tell him that it was a dumb idea,” the girl admitted. “But HE DIDN’T HAVE TO DIE!”

“…Yeah. He didn’t,” Kael agreed. “You’re right.”

The girl then began to sniffle and break down into tears.

“But now… I have nothing…” she sobbed, dropping to her knees again. Her dagger fell from her hand and to the ground.

“What do you mean? Where’s the rest of your group?” Kael wondered, moving closer to the girl.

“…They left when we were released from jail,” she replied. “My mother died of illness when I was little, and then my father drunk himself to death. My brother had been looking after me since, and we recruited some allies to help us all support one another. He was a good leader and mentor even though he felt that all we could do was steal if we were to survive. After he died…that was all gone. The others didn’t know what else to do and decided to look for other work, honest or no. I’ve been all alone since. I can hardly eat or sleep. There’s not much I can swipe from stores or vendors on my own and I don’t know what else I can do to support myself.”

“…Oh. Wow… I… I am so sorry,” Kael commented. “I had no idea.”

“And now you see why I can NEVER forgive you! NEVER!”

“You don’t have to forgive me. I wouldn’t expect you to. Even if your group was in the wrong back then, I messed up too. But you don’t have to go seeking any revenge or getting people in trouble either. It doesn’t have to be this way.”

“What do you mean?”

The girl folded her arms in annoyance as she waited for Kael to answer.

“Well… First, I must say, I’m impressed with your skills,” Kael complimented. “You’re no older than me and from what I’ve seen and heard, you made it pretty believable that I could’ve committed that crime. And stealing my sword the way you did… No one suspected a thing!”

“…Really? Uh…thanks. My brother taught me.”

“I’m not surprised. He put up a good fight against me. He was skilled.”

“Well, of course he was. He was the best.”

“I’ll take your word for it. Anyway, you might not forgive me for what happened, but… I think I can help you, if you would let me. Can you tell me your name?”

Kael then gave the girl a smile.

“…What? You…would do that for me? After what I’ve put you through?” the girl wondered, her anger and sadness beginning to subside.

“Yeah. Like I said, I don’t think you’re a bad person,” Kael repeated. “Because…well, let me tell you something. You know my father is famous, and he’s met a lot of different people and allies, beorc and laguz. Some of them were actually enemies at first. One or two might not have hesitated to kill my dad either. I learned this from the stories he and my mother told me about their past. And one thing I learned about them really stood out to me. My father didn’t judge. Not for things like race or background or past mistakes. And I don’t either. You made a mistake, but it was understandable. We can make this right if you let me help.”

Kael then offered his hand to the girl. For a moment, the girl paused and a silence ensued. She looked at Kael’s hand, and then at him. Kael could see that she was still surprised and contemplating his words, and he could understand it. She might not have ever been shown any kindness by anyone other than her brother, much less the person responsible for his death. Finally, however, the girl’s hand touched Kael’s, and she accepted, standing back up again with his assistance.

“I…see,” she said. “Thank you… I’m Cissy.”

“Well, good to meet you,” Kael replied. “And no problem. It’s the least I could do after the grief I’ve caused you. I’m Kael, though you might already know that. I’m glad we could settle this matter peacefully.”

“…Yeah, I suppose so,” Cissy replied, a small smile forming on her face. “But… How could you help me? I don’t think your folks and friends want anything to do with me after what’s happened.”

“Well, remember when I said your thievery skills are impressive?” Kael said. “I know a man who might take you on as an apprentice. He’s an acquaintance that lives in Narcoss. Have you been there before?”

“Oh, no, but I do know of that town. You really think this guy would take me in, even after what I’ve done?”

“Oh, definitely! His past isn’t all that different from yours, actually. You two can relate on a few things. He’d help you out for sure.”

“Really? Wow. That sounds great! What have I got to lose anyway? I just hope you’re right about him. I’d love to have a better life than…well, this.”

Cissy then looked down at her messy clothes.

“I bet,” Kael commented. “And I’m one hundred percent sure I’m right. Now let’s go talk to my parents and let them know of our plan. They should be fine with a little errand in Narcoss.”

“I don’t know, they might still be mad at me.”

“Don’t worry, they’ll understand once I explain everything.”

“If you say so. …Oh, yeah. Here’s your sword, by the way. I’m sorry I took it.”

Cissy then unclipped the regal sword and its sheath from her belt and handed it to Kael.

“Ah, thanks,” Kael replied. “You’re forgiven.”

With that, the two headed out of the street and to the door of the courthouse. Before they could go inside, the door opened to reveal Ike, Elincia, and the others, followed by the magistrate himself. He was a slightly heavyset man who was probably older than Ike and Elincia, perhaps in his fifties, and had slightly graying auburn hair.

“Oh, Kael,” Ike greeted. “We just spoke with the magistrate and Miriam had arrived as well, she’s still inside. Lalita and the others told me you were talking with that girl out here and that you didn’t want to press charges though? Why is she with you and not being locked up? …Wait a minute, isn’t she the girl we caught with that thief group in Elhorhi?!”

“Yeah, she is. But Dad, I can explain,” Kael replied. “It’s good news, trust me.”

“It better be,” Ike warned, folding his arms. Elincia gave her son a look that told him she agreed with her husband.

“Just hear us out. I’m glad the magistrate is out here with you too, he can hear Cissy’s confession. Go ahead, Cissy,” Kael said.

“Uh… W-Well, Sir Ike,” Cissy began. “And everyone. I’m sorry for what happened. I know what I did to Kael was wrong. I was out for payback because of what happened to my brother and I set him up for a crime he didn’t commit. I also returned his sword to him.”

“Hm. Confession noted,” the magistrate said and then turned to Kael. “Are you sure you don’t want to press charges though, young man?”

“I’m certain. We’ve made peace now,” Kael reported.

“Yeah,” Cissy added. “What he said. And again, I’m real sorry, sir.”

“Well, in that case, my job is done here. And Kael, you are officially cleared of any wrongdoing,” the magistrate said. “Have a good day, all.”

With that, the man returned to the courthouse and Cissy returned her attention to Ike.

“And Sir Ike, Kael offered to help me,” she said. “He was really nice. And if his idea works, I can turn over a new leaf myself. I didn’t know any other life when I was stealing with my brother and our cohorts because of…well, things that happened in my past. But I’m done with that now if I really can get a better life like Kael said.”

“…I see,” Ike commented. “I do hope you are being truthful. And Kael, what exactly do you have in mind here?”

“Well, Dad, I was thinking Mr. Kye could take Cissy in,” Kael suggested. “He went through a lot of what she did, you know?”

“Oh, that’s a wonderful idea, Kael,” Elincia commented excitedly. “Kye is a good man and would certainly do what he can to help. He’s married with a toddler now too, so Cissy would have an entire family to love her.”

“A…family…” Cissy uttered, a smile dawning on her features. “That would be amazing. I never had the experience before. I was little when my parents died.”

“Hm, yeah, I do say that should work,” Ike agreed. “Kye is a good young man indeed. But Cissy, you must promise to keep your word. You still tried to harm my son, and by extension, the rest of my family. One wrong move, and I won’t hesitate to have you thrown in jail again.”

“Oh… Yes, Sir Ike. I promise. For sure. Thanks for the help.”

“You’re welcome.”

Ike then turned to Kael, and gave his son an approving smile.

“Kael, I have to admit,” he began. “You did very well here. You could’ve allowed Cissy to be locked up anyway without a second thought. But you gave her a second chance. I’m proud of you here.”

“Heh, thanks, Dad,” Kael replied, somewhat bashfully.

“I’m so proud of you too, Kael dear,” Elincia added happily. “You really are just like your father. Making friends with someone who wanted you dead!”

“Ah, well,” Ike said, scratching the back of his head. “I wouldn’t put it in those words exactly, but your mother’s not wrong. You are turning out to be much like your old man.”

He then gave Kael a pat on the shoulder.

“Aw… Thanks!” Kael replied.

“I must say, I’m amazed at how this all turned out,” Nancy commented. “I’m glad to see a happy ending though!”

“Yeah, me too!” Lalita agreed. “I’m always up for a new friend!”

“Same here,” Cameron added. “And Cissy, I guess you actually were telling the truth at the castle when you said you weren’t trying to hurt my horse. I’m sorry I called you a liar. I can let you pet her some time, if you’d like.”

“Oh, it’s all good. And thanks,” Cissy replied. “Well…let me know when we should start for Narcoss. And Kael…thank you again. I…really appreciate what you’ve done for me here.”

“Hey, no problem,” Kael said with a smile.

Cissy’s cheeks then faded into a rosy pink, though Kael didn’t seem to notice right away. Lalita did, however.

“Wow, are you blushing?” she said with a chuckle.

“…I-I am not!” Cissy insisted in annoyance. “I think…”

Nancy growled a bit.

“Well, I should probably start heading back to the castle. I completed what I came here to do earlier,” she said. “See you all another time.”

With that, she took off. Cameron merely arched an eyebrow.

“Huh, that was kind of sudden,” he said. “Wonder what that was all about.”

“Beats me,” Kael said with a shrug. “Well, let’s tell Miss Miriam she can go home and then head for Narcoss.”

“Boys… They are so dense sometimes,” Lalita muttered to herself as she rolled her eyes.

“Crud, I forgot about her,” Ike realized. “Yes, let’s do that.”

The others agreed and went inside the building, a wave of relief washing over them as they could put the incidents from the past evening and morning behind them. And gaining a surprising, yet potentially valuable friend and ally certainly did not hurt either.

Post-Read Notes:

Spoiler

- If you didn't already figure it out, yes, this is the sequel to The First Time. 🙂
- And if anyone forgot, this ficverse uses a reality where Elincia decided to give the Crimean throne to Renning and pursue a life with Ike (though she didn't abdicate only because of Ike).
- And this is not only a sequel, it also serves as a prequel. It takes place a short time before a more major story starring Kael and friends would begin. That major story is set to be the sequel to FE: Dawn of Darkness, my current main FE fic that still needs finished.
- If you didn't pick it up from the light implications, yeah, both Nancy and Cissy have a little crush on Kael. lol They're the only ladies that will exhibit any feelings for him though, and in both cases, it's subtle too. Not in your face or anything, though Nancy actually is a little more obvious in the long run. And not shown here is Cam's crush on Lalita. 😛 Not everybody in the cast of the DoD sequel will be crushing on someone though, these aforementioned cases are the only ones I have planned, at least right now.

Well, I hope y'all enjoy this!

Edited by Anacybele