SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

For a very fascinating prompt, it's unfortunate there weren't that many entries.

... no, interesting as it is, it's not something I'd write with the intent of showing it. It's too weird. Fascinating to read, but weird to write. At least to me.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For a very fascinating prompt, it's unfortunate there weren't that many entries.

... no, interesting as it is, it's not something I'd write with the intent of showing it. It's too weird. Fascinating to read, but weird to write. At least to me.

And being weird to write is probably why there aren't many entries. It's why I passed on this.

I'm still tired of Grima related stuff, so I only read the other entry. Was an amusing and good read, lol. I think there are enough accurate details about Elincia too. 🙂

Doh! I guess the title didn't carry over from the original Google Doc. Typical...It's called "Invisible Shroud".

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I only read the other entry. Was an amusing and good read, lol. I think there are enough accurate details about Elincia too. 🙂

It was?! *Ahem* Sorry. It's my first time entering.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

. I think there are enough accurate details about Elincia too. 🙂

Uhh...That was @SoulWeaver's non-entry. @Morgan--Grandmaster's was about Kellam.

Feedback time!

@SoulWeaver

That was a really enjoyable piece! It was funny and conveyed its feelings very well, and there's not much more I can say beyond "Amazing job!" However, I do think that it ALMOST began to outstay its welcome towards the end, but it certainly didn't drag on too much and was still overall great.

@Morgan--Grandmaster

Also really funny! It had me laughing the whole way through. However, I do agree that it was a little short. That didn't detract from my enjoyment of the piece, though!

@TheSilentChloey

While this entry was also really good, I did struggle to find the purpose of the story. Still, it was pretty good!

Welp new music-to-write-to looking good already. Way easier to write an S Support to this than to the actual S Support music.

Spoiler

Anyhow.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

That was a really enjoyable piece! It was funny and conveyed its feelings very well, and there's not much more I can say beyond "Amazing job!" However, I do think that it ALMOST began to outstay its welcome towards the end, but it certainly didn't drag on too much and was still overall great.

Well, that's good, I was worried I went on for too long. I'm somewhat ashamed to admit I'm not 100% certain I could be that wholesome were such an event to actually happen to me though. I think I could, but I also pray I never find out.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Was an amusing and good read, lol. I think there are enough accurate details about Elincia too. 🙂

Thread's Elincia expert approves, looks like I did good. I actually didn't add the embroidery equipment until almost the end, I found that in her Tellius Recollection page, apparently she embroiders. Thank goodness Lucia and Geoffrey aren't in the game, this would have been WAY more annoying to write if I'd had to have that interaction.

I'll get feedback of my own figured out when I'm not supposed to be doing something else instead of listening to Helltaker's soundtrack and messing around on Reddit.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Thread's Elincia expert approves, looks like I did good. I actually didn't add the embroidery equipment until almost the end, I found that in her Tellius Recollection page, apparently she embroiders. Thank goodness Lucia and Geoffrey aren't in the game, this would have been WAY more annoying to write if I'd had to have that interaction.

Yup, she does embroider! I remember seeing that detail about her in the Tellius artbooks. It's one of her favorite hobbies. I actually ought to do something with that tidbit myself next time I write my Ike x Elincia family. Even if it's a minor thing.

well it's been a while since I've given any kind of feedback on here and with only two entries why not?

@Morgan--Grandmaster

It's charming I'll certainly give it that but it definitely could've used more refinement. The lack of dialogue tags, or meaningful character voice in general just makes the whole thing hard to follow. I had a very hard time discerning who was speaking and and what was happening simply because most of what was written was dialogue. Which can be fine with the write structure(like with more of a script format) but I doubt that was the case here but correct me if I'm wrong. There was nothing to really punctuate the dialogue either which I mean can sorta work but you need to be really good at conveying distinct character voice so that the reader doesn't get confused and even that can only really get you so far. In summary, lighten up on the dialogue and punctuate it better with meaningful action or dialogue tags.

@TheSilentChloey

Not bad, a little hard to follow but not bad. Again, it's definitely charming but I found it hard a little hard to follow thanks to lack of description, meaningful action, etc. but I won't doc too many points because it feels intentional in the way it's structured so minor nitpick. I also really like how self-aware it this one was so it got a couple of laughs out of me. SO yeah, I enjoyed this one.

11 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

(Totally not surprised that happened since I knew no one was going to like mine by default anyway)

One person liked yours.

9 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The round is over!

Victory goes to @Morgan--Grandmaster.

I will update OP when we have our next prompt.

Woohoo!

Prompt: In honor of June being Pride Month, write a story about either the discussion of LGBTQIA+ rights or one or more characters in an LGBTQIA+ relationship, or lack thereof. Let me make one thing clear. This probably goes without saying, but *demonic voice*  Discriminatory views and homophobia on the author's part will NOT be tolerated and your entry will automatically be disqualified and you will be sufficiently punished.

Well, sadly, I'm skipping again. I personally prefer not to write those characters. I can't really relate to them enough to make them feel real, is the main issue, unless I go for an asexual character since that's what I am. But that doesn't feel interesting enough to me, and I'd have to create an entirely new character anyway. Which I could, but I'm someone that doesn't like creating characters just for one thing and then ditching them after unless it's a minor character who has little relevance.

Believe me, I have and have had friends who are LGBT+ and have no disdain for them at all. They can be really cool people and deserve to be respected just like anybody else. I just don't believe I can write good characters in that category, that's all.

Edited by Anacybele

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, sadly, I'm skipping again. I personally prefer not to write those characters. I can't really relate to them enough to make them feel real, is the main issue, unless I go for an asexual character since that's what I am.

That will work.

45 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Well, sadly, I'm skipping again. I personally prefer not to write those characters. I can't really relate to them enough to make them feel real, is the main issue, unless I go for an asexual character since that's what I am. But that doesn't feel interesting enough to me, and I'd have to create an entirely new character anyway. Which I could, but I'm someone that doesn't like creating characters just for one thing and then ditching them after unless it's a minor character who has little relevance.

Believe me, I have and have had friends who are LGBT+ and have no disdain for them at all. They can be really cool people and deserve to be respected just like anybody else. I just don't believe I can write good characters in that category, that's all.

Hey now bloom into you is a story about a somewhat asexual/aromantic protagonist and I find that one to be a pretty sweet story although I’ve only watched about six episodes. Those kinds of characters can be pretty interesting if handled well but if that’s how you feel then that’s how you feel.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Hey now bloom into you is a story about a somewhat asexual/aromantic protagonist and I find that one to be a pretty sweet story although I’ve only watched about six episodes. Those kinds of characters can be pretty interesting if handled well but if that’s how you feel then that’s how you feel.

Never heard of it, so I can't comment. I'm not saying an asexual character can't be cool or that I hate that I am asexual (I'm more proud of it than anything since I feel I'm better off alone anyway). I just find other subjects more fun/interesting to write is all.

And...I didn't mention this before, but I feel I probably ought to now. Since LGBT+ stuff is a rather sensitive subject for some, I'd rather not my autistic brain interfere and end up making me write something I'll regret. I don't wish to offend anyone or have bad memories/trauma resurface. Someone's entry did that to me in this contest in the past and I wouldn't want that happening to someone else here who happens to read the entries.

Edited by Anacybele

14 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Woohoo!

Prompt: In honor of June being Pride Month, write a story about either the discussion of LGBTQIA+ rights or one or more characters in an LGBTQIA+ relationship, or lack thereof. Let me make one thing clear. This probably goes without saying, but *demonic voice*  Discriminatory views and homophobia on the author's part will NOT be tolerated and your entry will automatically be disqualified and you will be sufficiently punished.

I...may have something for this.  It'll depend though however on the massive IF it works out and no one makes a massive fuss over it.

15 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Discriminatory views and homophobia on the author's part will NOT be tolerated and your entry will automatically be disqualified and you will be sufficiently punished.

I feel like this needs to be more specific cause there are the obvious ones to not do but there is a bit of a gray area in some cases like making the antagonist lgbt or killing off an lgbt character. It’s not a huge deal but I feel like a line needs to be drawn 

16 hours ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Woohoo!

So just to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying here...it must be about the discussion of ABCDEFG+ rights...but cannot even showcase discriminatory views in any way. In other words, any attempt at discrimination in favor of said ABCDEFG+ community is also not tolerated and will result in disqualification...and punishment? Now I'm curious, does anyone know if the overarching contest rules allow for punishment to be doled out if an entry does not follow the prompter's idea of rule guidelines? This seems like a risky precedent to set to me.

11 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

So just to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying here...it must be about the discussion of ABCDEFG+ rights...but cannot even showcase discriminatory views in any way. In other words, any attempt at discrimination in favor of said ABCDEFG+ community is also not tolerated and will result in disqualification...and punishment? Now I'm curious, does anyone know if the overarching contest rules allow for punishment to be doled out if an entry does not follow the prompter's idea of rule guidelines? This seems like a risky precedent to set to me.

Y’see this is the kind of paradox I was talking about. You can’t really talk about these kinds of things without showing the other side. That my dear friends is the key to good morally ambiguous storytelling. Also @Morgan--Grandmaster I find it a little presumptuous for one to think my views are entirely reflected in an my work. I wrote an entry about depression and suicide with let’s just say not the happiest of endings though that doesn’t reflect my true biews on the matter. You ride quite the slippery slope with what you’re saying here.

Edited by Ottservia