SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

22 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Reap what you sow. If people find it offensive, they won't vote for it. If it is highly inflammatory, well then I'm sure we have over arching site rules covering that stuff. There's no need for mini moderation here. Offense shouldn't really be any more or less permitted here compared to any where else on the site.

This I agree with.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

Obligatory reminder there’s so much more you can do with this one then generic romance fluff and slice-of-life couple scenes

Which is why I decided to take the more angsty and drama approach though then again I almost always take that approach. Regardless, I’ve got an interesting idea that’ll hopefully be to everyone’s liking

Well I've decided to round out my OC youngest daughter, who you'll hopefully find is more rounded out with this short...but there'll be a lot of Invisible Ties references, so you'll have to have at least read some of it to get the gist of her character.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Reap what you sow. If people find it offensive, they won't vote for it. If it is highly inflammatory, well then I'm sure we have over arching site rules covering that stuff. There's no need for mini moderation here. Offense shouldn't really be any more or less permitted here compared to any where else on the site.

I will leave this up to the author to argue.  Though this isn't necessarily mini-modding, just a large disagreement on what the bounds of the topic are.

20 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Dunno if I should just do a general LuciSev fic or write something else with a couple OCs for a different series. Hmmmm

LuciSev? You don't subscribe to KjellSev? That's slightly surprising.

As for this,

On 6/14/2020 at 5:02 PM, Anacybele said:

No offense to anyone whatsoever, but given the disagreement in here lately, maybe Morgan--Grandmaster should pick a different prompt, one nobody has to debate about... I know no one intended for this much confusion to happen and I know some people like this prompt, so it'd be unfortunate to change it, but yeah...

I've gotta agree with shoblongoo on this one.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, Shoblongoo said:

Keep the prompt. It’s a good prompt.

Genuinely curious to see how people approach this one.

The prompt isn't the issue on my end - I'm actually looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with, and I would have sat this round out regardless of the prompt because I just need to work on my own stuff that badly - I just find it frustrating that people think the LGBT community(or any community really) needs constant protecting because I feel that kind of talk only serves to baby them, especially in a forum like this where we already have established rules about not being utter douchebags, to say nothing of my earlier statement about this thread in particular. If that falls under 'bullcrap internet drama' then fine, I'm happy to be dramatic on the internet for something I feel is an issue of principle, I would be arguing this same point if we were trying to say no discrimination regarding members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, even though that stance would supposedly benefit me personally - forcing a removal of discrimination of any kind is excessive limitation when Jotari made an excellent point:

On 6/14/2020 at 8:40 PM, Jotari said:

If people find it offensive, they won't vote for it.

Now with that said, I'm gonna back off now as I've made my point clear probably more times than necessary.

Good luck with your writing this round, everyone, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Edited by SoulWeaver

4 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I've gotta agree with shoblongoo on this one.

I'm honestly really surprised to see you say this. I thought people would agree with me... Well, not like it affects me much, since I'm still skipping this round. I'm thinking of not entering this contest anymore though, since this will be the third round in a row that I skip. No point in trying to enter if there won't be prompt I can do.

9 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

LuciSev? You don't subscribe to KjellSev? That's slightly surprising.

KjellSev feels waay too forced for me to like it. It feels more pandery than anything substantial. LuciSev on the other hand actually has some substance behind it

Edited by Ottservia

26 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

KjellSev feels waay too forced for me to like it. It feels more pandery than anything substantial. LuciSev on the other hand actually has some substance behind it

Ah, I see. Frankly I think I like Sev's relationship with Noire best, but I suppose you have a point.

31 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm honestly really surprised to see you say this. I thought people would agree with me... Well, not like it affects me much, since I'm still skipping this round. I'm thinking of not entering this contest anymore though, since this will be the third round in a row that I skip. No point in trying to enter if there won't be prompt I can do.

Just because we argue over a prompt doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad one, and avoiding arguments certainly doesn't solve them. As I said, the prompt itself doesn't bother me, just the principle of forcibly silencing people whose opinions you don't agree with.

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Just because we argue over a prompt doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad one, and avoiding arguments certainly doesn't solve them. As I said, the prompt itself doesn't bother me, just the principle of forcibly silencing people whose opinions you don't agree with.

I don't think it's a bad prompt either, just a rather problematic one, it seems, with all the confusion and disagreement on it. It'd just be easier to have a prompt we don't have those problems with. I'm not trying to silence anyone either. Sorry...

35 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I don't think it's a bad prompt either, just a rather problematic one, it seems, with all the confusion and disagreement on it. It'd just be easier to have a prompt we don't have those problems with. I'm not trying to silence anyone either. Sorry...

It's all good, I know you're not trying to silence anyone, I meant Morgan's original comment about punishing discrimination or homophobia if it appeared in any written works here.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

It's all good, I know you're not trying to silence anyone, I meant Morgan's original comment about punishing discrimination or homophobia if it appeared in any written works here.

Oh, okay, that's fine then. And really, you do have a point there, because what if someone wanted to use a homophobe as the antagonist of the story who gets what's coming to them? I don't see anything wrong with that.

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Now writing epilogue to EliJarn, and I ran into a decision I didn't expect:
Hector x Laevatein, yes or no?

Isn't Roy shipped with Lilina?  I mean I guess that's a factor, but maybe not...

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Hector x Laevatein, yes or no?

Anything to keep him away from my Florina!

Nah...They're too different personality-wise IMO.

4 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Isn't Roy shipped with Lilina?  I mean I guess that's a factor, but maybe not...

Personally I find Roy+Cecilia a more interesting pairing despite not usually liking the teacher-student romance idea. Roy+Shanna's also not bad. That said, Roy+Lilina is the more or less 'canon' pairing, as the one most pushed by the main story.

15 minutes ago, Benice said:

Anything to keep him away from my Florina!

Nah...They're too different personality-wise IMO.

Hm, good point. I mainly am just trying to decide if Roy and Lilina are cousins.

TITLE:  Reformation

FANDOM:  Fire Emblem Three Houses

WORDCOUNT:  2,167

By proclamation of Archbishop Byleth of the Church of Seiros—who hath communed with divine Sothis and discerned  her will—it is on this 14th Day of Garland Moon, Imperial Year 1189, declared Holy Canon: Love is love. Be it love between a man and a woman, love between a woman and a woman, or love between a man and a man. That we love one another and be happy is the true desire of the Goddess. That love be diminished or denied is an affront unto her.  Be it known henceforth that to rebuke love between a woman and a woman or love between a man and a man as less praiseworthy and holy then love between man and woman is blasphemy of the highest order. There shall be no stigma thereupon. Nor shall it be cause for any scorn or mistreatment. Nor shall any who would profess true love and commit thereto for a lifetime be denied holy matrimony. All doctrine contrary hereto in the enumerations of sexual sin and deviancy are hereby expunged from the Canons.  Whosoever breaks faith with this edict speaks against Sothis. And shall be her enemy. And shall know her wrath. On penalty of excommunication, exile, expulsion, and forfeiture of noble title: woe unto the heretic who speaks hate against love ordained in the sight of Sothis.  For it is the will of the Goddess that his domains shall be diminished, and he shall perish swiftly from this earth. ORDAINED.

His Most Wise and Benevolent Holiness,
- Archbishop Byleth Eisner-

_____

Seteth read the draft proclamation. Blinked. Put it down. Paced. Then read it again, just to make sure he had read it correctly. Finding the words unchanged , he moved to confront The Archbishop over the audacity of them.

“You intend to sign this?” Seteth was cross with him.

“You intend to object?” Byleth was unmoved.

Exile, expulsion, and forfeiture of noble title,” Seteth read out loud. “His domains shall be diminished, and he shall perish swiftly from this earth. Yes—there is content here that I should certainly hope you recognize as objectionable. Do you recall what I said, when last I spoke to Felix?”

“Something about how if you hate everyone who thinks differently then you eventually you wind up hating everyone, because it is impossible for two people to have the same two beliefs? Yes. I recall it.” Byleth answered. “Sage counsel for a dispute over the merits of chivalry. Ill-advised for the remediation of a false and oppressive faith that leaves thousands across the land afflicted with lives of secrecy and fear, unable to express their true hearts or know the love of another lest they be hunted and hated for it.”

“Suppose you were to promulgate this. And it were to be received with scorn by Lord Holst. And he were to continue governing his holdings under the law that men belong with women and women with men; deviancy therefrom being abhorrent.” Seteth challenged. “You would order the Knights of Serios to invade Goneril, make war against his armies, and dispose of his House?”  

“What would you say if I did?” Byleth challenged right back.

“I would say you sound like Edelgard.” Seteth spoke his truth, and Byleth winced. That one stung.

“You of all people, who witnessed me strike her down, should know that I understand the difference between faithful execution of law and needless revolutionary violence.” Byleth protested the rebuke.

“As you of all people, who turned against her, should understand that a rightful purpose becomes wrongful when wrongfully pursued.” Seteth counseled. “Consider the purpose you wish to achieve. And consider if you are best serving it by antagonizing Lords who fought beneath your banner with overt threats to strip them of their land and title.”

Byleth said nothing.  Thought about it. Picked up his quill, crossed out the last several lines of text in his first draft, and redrafted:

“Whosoever breaks faith with this edict speaks against Sothis. And is found wanting in the eyes of the Goddess; for he speaks hate against love ordained in her sight. And any man or woman aggrieved thereby may petition Garreg Mach for such relief as the Archbishop, in light of the length and nature of the transgression and the station of the transgressor, shall deem equitable and just.”

“Better.” Seteth approved. “May I add an addendum?”

“Proceed.” Byleth allowed it.

Whereupon Seteth drew his own quill, and scrawled:

“Tenants of this proclamation notwithstanding: an exception shall be made for branch sectarians of the Cichol Orthodoxy. Whereas the Fourfold Cicholic Virtues set forth a learned, well-reasoned rationale for abstinence from the wonton pursuits of carnality, intoxication, vanity, and avarice. And whereas a practitioner of The Virtues casts no aspersions upon love between a man and a man or love between a woman and a woman that would not likewise be cast upon love between a woman and a man, when indulged carnally and with non-procreative intent. No such practitioner shall be compelled to officiate a union of man and man or woman and woman. Or to render unto a man in congress with a man or a woman in congress with a woman any service contrary to The Virtues of their faith.”

“Absolutely not,” Byleth crossed out the proposed amended text in its entirety.

“It will appease your strongest dissidents and ease the transition,” Seteth reasoned.

“It will have every maladjusted bigot who wishes to carry on their mistreatment calling themselves Orthodox Cichols. The exception will swallow rule and virtue alike.” Byleth countered. “Mark my words: you will see those who gamble in opium dens on Tuesday and lay with whores on Wednesday claim to be men of Cicholic Virtue on Thursday. If only for the pretense of presenting their rancor as something faithful and pure that invoking your name would allow them.”  

“Reasonably foreseeable. And I do not wish to have my name so invoked.” Seteth reviewed the unamended second draft and found it imperfect, but satisfactory. Though something still troubled him. “Forgive the impertinence of the question but—in all my years, I have never heard such a thing. Was this truly the word of Sothis?”

“…Such a question…” Byleth smirked. And what he said next: Seteth couldn’t tell if it was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, or a thinly veiled confession. “If I were just fabricating claims of divine authority to make people more inclined to follow my rules and less inclined to question them, what would that make me?”

“That—would make you Rhea.” Seteth frowned, but pushed the matter no further.

“Edelgard one moment. Rhea the next. Such interesting things you say.” Byleth’s smirk turned wry. “There is one more related matter we must discuss.”

“Oh?” Seteth heard mischief in his voice.

In mimicry of his adviser’s usual cadence Byleth said simply: “I have something to ask of you.”

____

“If any would object to this union speak now, or forever hold your peace.” Seteth’s voice carried across the Grand Cathedral.

From his vestibule above Byleth stared down, expectantly.

Church elders versed in the old ways and resistant to the new looked onwards in visible discomfort. But the weight of the Archbishop’s authority pressed down upon them, and none dared speak a word.

“Then by the power vested in me by The Church of Seiros. In the name of the Goddess, The Archbishop, and Four Saints: I hereby pronounce you lawfully wedded husband and husband. You may kiss the—bride???” Seteth looked up at Byleth in confusion, uncertain how to end the pronouncement.

Lindhardt ignored the faux pas, and simply kissed his new husband.

And then one after another, no less then two dozen couples did the same.

The history of Fodland would record their joinder as the first ever ceremony of its kind.  

“You could have done that yourself,” Seteth, moderately annoyed, thereafter stated the obvious.

“I could have,” Byleth agreed.

“Is this my punishment for speaking out of turn?” Seteth asked.

“Punishment?” Byleth balked. “It is an honor. You have made history today.”   

“I have made more history than I care to recount.” Seteth’s mood was sour, and Byleth sensed there was something else on his mind.

“You know why I have done this.” Byleth told him plainly. “Had I officiated, it would have been seen simply as the old ways being replaced by the new. Yet as we move forward, we do not simply discard the old ways. We reform them. We take the very best of our history and carry it forward with the new, to be its rock and foundation. That is what your presence here today signifies. It had to be you.”

The very best of our history.” Seteth expelled the words as though they tasted of ash.

“Speak to me.” Byleth bid him unburden thoughts.  “What troubles you?” 

“In the earliest days of The Church, I put men to death for less then what we did here today. Emperor Wilhelm had a grandson who became smitten with an Almyran Prince. When he would not recant his—affections—Rhea ordered them both disemboweled and paraded through the street.” Seteth confessed. "I am no Rock. I should not be here. I have no right to share in the joy of this day.”

“And now you sound like Gilbert. Peace, friend.” Byleth put him at ease. “It was a different time. I think no less of the man you are today for it. You are of another age. And yet when the world changed, you changed with it. Knowing then how different your age was: my respect for you grows. It is because you all-at-once represent the scope and breadth of our history and our ability to rise above the trappings of a frozen past that I name you the very best of us.”

“It is nothing so honorable,” Seteth was calmed. Though he denied any cause for praise. “I have had more years then most to reflect upon my actions, and to distance myself from the worst of them. That is all.”

“Ever so humble.” And now Byleth bid him to indulge some pride. “Today is a day to be proud. Look at what you have done.”

It was a sight to behold, truly. A full assemblage of those who had known nothing but lifetimes of fear and loathing, from The Church and for it, celebrating with love and laughter and tears of joy from its highest seat of power.  Rainbow flags draped the halls in lieu of the usual banners of Deer and Eagle and Lion. The sense of relief and release and possibility in the air was palpable.

“Mingle.” Byleth encouraged “Dance. Make merry. Its good for the soul—Sothis truly did say as much. I will tell you of it sometime.”   

“Make an edict of it,” Seteth japed, and moved dutifully to join the celebrants.

So too did Byleth. Albeit less out of a sense of duty, and more out of genuine desire to partake of the festivities.

It was as grand a wedding celebration as any ever recorded. Byleth had seen to it. The Church’s coffers were overflowing, and from flower arrangements to musical entertainment to fine wine and dining the Archbishop had spared no expense to drive home the grandiosity of the moment. It was an impact statement as much as a ceremony: a flaunting of all the wealth and luxury at Garreg Mach’s disposal, and a message that the occasion was worthy of it.   

The grand feast spilled over from dining into the reception hall.

Song and dance filled every courtyard.

The dormitories had been outfitted as wedding suites. The fishing pond and greenhouse as beer gardens. Mechanisms and dispensary tanks of the Underground Chamber raised and affixed thereto, retrofitted so as to now dispense industrial quantities of ale and lager and mead.

Everywhere, Garreg Mach was alive with pride and celebration.

It was curious, then, that he found Dorothea alone and somber. Tucked away by the gravestones and seemingly going out of her way to avoid being seen.

“You are missed.” Byleth told her. “The festivities want for nothing. And yet—they are less festive without you.”

“It’s beautiful,” Dorothea spoke to him. Although her mood did not lighten, “You really outdid yourself this time, Professor.”

“Are you unwell?” Byleth asked.

“I’m fine.” Dorothea answered. “I was just thinking. About Edie. About what it would have meant to her to see this day.” For a long time Dorothea said nothing more. But then spoke her peace. “Maybe—maybe if she had lived to see it. She never would have started that war.”

“Hmmmmm. A noble sentiment.” Byleth joined her.  “And yet—I do not believe we would have seen this day in our lifetimes. Any of us. If Edelgad had not started that war.”

They sat amongst the gravestones in silence a while longer, while the world changed. Then Dorothea took his hand. And they disembarked.

Celebration of the best things in life in front of them. Gravestones behind.

Edited by Shoblongoo

18 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Personally I find Roy+Cecilia a more interesting pairing despite not usually liking the teacher-student romance idea.

Uh, you do realize there's a big age gap between the two, don't you? Roy is 15 and I'm pretty sure Cecilia is in her mid-late twenties or older. You're making her a pedophile with such a pairing. I honestly never understood why she was even an option for Roy at all.

Edited by Anacybele

22 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, you do realize there's a big age gap between the two, don't you? Roy is 15 and I'm pretty sure Cecilia is in her mid-late twenties or older. You're making her a pedophile with such a pairing. I honestly never understood why she was even an option for Roy at all.

So I also assumed this originally, but then one day I was looking at her in Heroes and was like actually, I can't see Roy marrying anyone more than ten years his senior, which puts Cecilia at 25 at oldest. In addition, I looked it up and if you check their ending, it says the two eventually wed, implying that Cecilia did the responsible thing and waited for Roy to at least be a legal adult, which still puts her at 28 at oldest running on my assumption, and this if they married right when Roy hit 18, if they waited for him to reach 20, marrying a 30-year-old isn't the weirdest thing - I'm honestly more impressed at Roy's smoothness with women at that point. Admittedly this isn't confirmed, but they've been janky about confirming canon ages and I'd rather think better of Cecilia than assume she's a pedo so she's 25 at oldest in my book.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

So I also assumed this originally, but then one day I was looking at her in Heroes and was like actually, I can't see Roy marrying anyone more than ten years his senior, which puts Cecilia at 25 at oldest. In addition, I looked it up and if you check their ending, it says the two eventually wed, implying that Cecilia did the responsible thing and waited for Roy to at least be a legal adult, which still puts her at 28 at oldest running on my assumption, and this if they married right when Roy hit 18, if they waited for him to reach 20, marrying a 30-year-old isn't the weirdest thing - I'm honestly more impressed at Roy's smoothness with women at that point. Admittedly this isn't confirmed, but they've been janky about confirming canon ages and I'd rather think better of Cecilia than assume she's a pedo so she's 25 at oldest in my book.

True, but there's still a pretty big age gap here. I guess when it comes to folks 18 and older, though, it depends on what kind of age gap you're comfortable with.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

True, but there's still a pretty big age gap here. I guess when it comes to folks 18 and older, though, it depends on what kind of age gap you're comfortable with.

I mean, it's the middle ages. They had bigger things to worry about than age differences.

Obligatory reminder that if you accept the Ninian x Eliwood psuedo-canon, Roy's frame-of-reference for what he would be comfortable with is that his mother was like 800 years older than his dad 

Edited by Shoblongoo

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh definitely, while I understand people being uncomfortable with that, I have a cousin who married a 30-year-old at 20, and to be completely honest I'd still totally hit on Cecilia if she was 10 years older than me, and that'd put her at 33, so I think it's fine so long as you wait until post 18.

2 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Wtf did I just read?  Not to be a pain in the ass, but how does this fit the prompt?

"discussion of LGBTQIA+ rights or one or more characters in an LGBTQIA+ relationship"