SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean I have just not here. It’s all in this thread should you want to read it

Maybe the reason the game’s story has been critically panned by virtually everyone is because it’s shit, and not because there’s some hidden depth to it that you found but everyone else missed 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Maybe the reason the game’s story has been critically panned by virtually everyone is because it’s shit, and not because there’s some hidden depth to it that you found but everyone else missed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Possibly but I’m not just gonna agree with the popular concensus and be done with it. No, I’m gonna form my own thoughts and conclusions. Beyond that why is it trash? Is it because of fan service? Plot contrivance(cause plot contrivance doesn’t exist)? Other stupid shit like a character acting like an idiot even though it’s totally in character for them to do so? Am I just supposed to accept that it is? No I’m not gonna do that. I’m gonna give the story a fair shake and judge it based on ideas it wants to convey. I’m mot gonna call it bad simply I personally didn’t relate to any of the characters or the characters acted in ways that I personally found idiotic. No I’m gonna judge these characters based on the context and rules that the narrative follows not the rules I want it to follow. 

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

On that some token I’m allowed to say that it’s worse. Also there’s more to villain writing than just slapping a sob story on them. Pure evil villains can work and I’m so sick and tired of people saying that they can’t. What’s wrong with a good old fashion disney villain every now and again, huh? I mean I like Ashnard for that very reason. He’s an evil bastard but he knows it and he’s having fun. Good writing is writing that works and SoV’s writing does not work.

Because no one is evil for no reason. There's always some reason behind it, even if it's as simple as being mentally screwed up or greed or whatever. And no, it doesn't have to be a sob story either. Even Ashnard has a reason behind his actions and it isn't tragic. He believes power should rule all and that the weak should not survive because they are weak. He's trying to shape his world to his ideals. He's not just "I'm evil and I want to take over everything!"

What reason did Validar have for being in the Grimleal and wanting to bring back Grima and destroy everything? Why does he look so god damn creepy and stuff? Why the heck did some woman father a kid with him? Why was Grima so bent on destroying humanity? These are the things I would have liked to know in Awakening and did not get to know (yes, I know Grima was expanded upon more in Echoes DLC as well as in Heroes, but it came too late imo. That kind of stuff should've been in Awakening in the first place).

And as for Fates, why are literally any of the villains villains? why does Garon want to conquer everything? Why did he father kids with a bunch of different women? Why is Iago such a creepy bastard? Etc.

On another note, I created a Heroes Forging Bonds, if anyone's interested.

Edited by Anacybele

18 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What reason did Validar have for being in the Grimleal and wanting to bring back Grima and destroy everything? Why does he look so god damn creepy and stuff? Why the heck did some woman father a kid with him? Why was Grima so bent on destroying humanity? These are the things I would have liked to know in Awakening and did not get to know (yes, I know Grima was expanded upon more in Echoes DLC as well as in Heroes, but it came too late imo. That kind of stuff should've been in Awakening in the first place).

I mean if you pay attention there is a reason why Grima hates humans so much in awakening which was expanded on in heroes and it's all in a line of dialogue he says in the dire future 2 cutscene where he says "The future is built upon the past but your kind shall never see it" which implies that he hates humans because they can't learn from their mistakes which is a major theme in awakening. He just generally hates people because he thinks they're dumb. He views himself as a god and as such views humanity as beneath him. He sees the hypocrisy in humanity and just wants to be rid of them for it. He's a god of destruction and that's what he's going to do. It's not handled perfectly because the grimleal definitely needed more backstory but Grima himself is fine. I could go on about this but I feel like we should end the discussion here. discussing the nuances, themes, and ideas behind awakening and fates is a fun topic but not one for this thread. If you want to discuss this further my PMs are always open as well as my analysis threads

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean if you pay attention there is a reason why Grima hates humans so much in awakening which was expanded on in heroes and it's all in a line of dialogue he says in the dire future 2 cutscene where he says "The future is built upon the past but your kind shall never see it" which implies that he hates humans because they can't learn from their mistakes which is a major theme in awakening. He just generally hates people because he thinks they're dumb. He views himself as a god and as such views humanity as beneath him. He sees the hypocrisy in humanity and just wants to be rid of them for it. He's a god of destruction and that's what he's going to do. It's not handled perfectly because the grimleal definitely needed more backstory but Grima himself is fine. I could go on about this but I feel like we should end the discussion here. discussing the nuances, themes, and ideas behind awakening and fates is a fun topic but not one for this thread. If you want to discuss this further my PMs are always open as well as my analysis threads

Yeah, such a discussion would be better for PMs. But I don't feel like continuing it anymore (not because I don't think I can, I certainly could). I just want to get on with the contest.

2 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Compelling™ Argument™

47 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, such a discussion would be better for PMs. But I don't feel like continuing it anymore (not because I don't think I can, I certainly could). I just want to get on with the contest.

If you change your mind (you have 6 hours before voting) you could instead put it in a public thread so that the debate may be observed by the potentially persuaded.

7 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Awakening just makes villains who are only "GRR I'M EVIL AND WILL DESTROY THE WORLD" and nothing more (except for Gangrel, actually), while Echoes's antagonists are actually interesting

A) /load Jedah.EXE
B) /load Slayde.EXE
C) /load Desaix.EXE
D) /load Grieth.EXE
E) /load Nuibaba.EXE
F) Walhart technically isn't evil - he actually intends to unite the world, not destroy it, he simply has a methodology of achieving that goal that most of us don't agree with in our day and age, but which make sense considering the time period Fire Emblem as a whole is trying to emulate. Put bluntly, Walhart exemplifies the lifestyle Gangrel grew up in - as he says in FEH, Lead or be led. The Conqueror is actually arguably a better character than the others when you consider he holds to his own rules to the end and beyond - he accepts Robin's orders without question as he sees Robin as a superior individual who has proved their superiority by besting him on the field of battle - and his ability to draw others to his side, like Pheros, who used to be a disciple of Mila but abandoned religion to follow Walhart. Also he's vegetarian, which is just hilarious.

That said,

7 hours ago, Ottservia said:

What’s wrong with a good old fashion disney villain every now and again, huh?

Spoiler

No Disney villain since has ever come close to this absolute madlad

With the way Alm is written, he outright contradicts the story's core themes and messages.

Did nobody tell you the game's actually about Celica?
In all seriousness though, SoV isn't that bad when you consider the last time we had a remake. At least it's relatively accessible to newer players.

7 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

What the fuck are you guys doing they're Fire Emblem plots why are you defending any of them. The best ones are the least offensive.

So Genealogy then, at least it pulled no punches.

Hey yeah, when are you getting to Heirs of Fate boi?

45 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

A) /load Jedah.EXE
B) /load Slayde.EXE
C) /load Desaix.EXE
D) /load Grieth.EXE
E) /load Nuibaba.EXE
F) Walhart technically isn't evil - he actually intends to unite the world, not destroy it, he simply has a methodology of achieving that goal that most of us don't agree with in our day and age, but which make sense considering the time period Fire Emblem as a whole is trying to emulate. Put bluntly, Walhart exemplifies the lifestyle Gangrel grew up in - as he says in FEH, Lead or be led. The Conqueror is actually arguably a better character than the others when you consider he holds to his own rules to the end and beyond - he accepts Robin's orders without question as he sees Robin as a superior individual who has proved their superiority by besting him on the field of battle - and his ability to draw others to his side, like Pheros, who used to be a disciple of Mila but abandoned religion to follow Walhart. Also he's vegetarian, which is just hilarious.

I love Whalhart as a character, but as a villain he's actually quite lacking by virtue of barely being present for his arc. All his good stuff comes from post game where he's recruitable and we actually get to see him interact with people.

Spoiler

Why are there no more monsters in Greece?

Simple. Saxton Hale killed them all.

Having hunted the most dangerous animals on Earth to endangerment, Hale had his engineers build a portal to a place with terrifying monsters he could fight. He landed in the Heroic Age, the time of gods and monsters described in Homer, hundreds of years before the Peloponnesian War, and entirely incapable of handling the greatest man Australia ever produced.

As soon as he came through, he found himself in front of a giant dragon with many heads. Also a lake, which was less important.

Hale turned to the great beast and grinned. "Maybe I can finally get a decent challenge. C'm'ere you scaly malformed dinosaur!"

The Hydra reared back one of many heads, then spat a stream of its deadly poison at Saxton Hale. The Australian leapt out of its path, straight towards the beast. A second head shot forth at him, attempting to chomp down on the muscular man, only to be intercepted by his right fist. The unfortunate second head was violently ripped from its neck and shot into the sea like a mortar shell.

Saxton landed on head that had spat poison at him and began gouging out its eyes. It was with some joy Saxton Hale watched two heads regrow near instantly from the biting head's stub. "Oh, now this is really going to be something!"

Saxton jumped from scaly forehead to scaly forehead. The Hydra spat and snapped at its attacker, but was unable to match his nimble bulk, biting and burning itself as its long necks tangled up in each other, more and more until the beast suddenly found its remaining heads knotted up into a single bundle. "I've got you where I want you now," grinned Hale, who jumped off the belly of the dragon and grabbed all the heads at once.

"SAXTON!"

He reached a height so great that the Hydra had been plucked from the lake, dangling helpless as the Aussie reached the peak of his ascent.

"HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE!"

With a mighty shout, Saxton Hale initiated an even mightier pile drive. The Hydra heads slammed into the ground all at once and vaporized into bloody mist, leaving nothing but a nuclear crater and tiny little neck stubs.

"Let's see if you can regrow heads from that!" shouted Saxton Hale, and was disappointed when it couldn't.

Turning around, he saw a man almost as jacked as himself staring at him.
"Oi mate, Saxton Hale's the name. What can I do for you?"
"I was supposed to kill that Hydra."
"Ah, sorry 'bout that. Killing that scaly abonination was quite the thrill!"
"I brought this torch any everything- do you know how much more work you've caused me, you dick?"

Saxton Hale slapped the man. "You watch how you speak to Saxton Hale! Who are you?"
"I am Hercules," said Hercules haughtily.
A glint shone in Saxton's eye. "The half god warrior with supernatural strength?"
"The same."
"And you've got beef with me?"
"I'm a little ticked off with you right now, yeah."

"Hah! Well then, let's try and settle it with a little competition, eh?" Saxton Hale picked up a boulder, placed it between them, and smashed it with his fist. The stone shattered into the form of a table, afraid to come out as any other shape. "Let's have a little go, then!" Saxton sat at the table and placed his elbow on the table. Herc looked at him strangely. "Come on mate, haven't you ever done a bit of arm wrestling?" Slowly, the demigod mimicked the Aussie's posture, locked hands, and they began their competition. Shockingly and by an act of merciful humor, it did not end right away.

Veins started popping immediately. Sweat formed on taunt skin.

"Looks like you've got some strength in your wrists after all," grinned Saxton Hale. "Not enough to match these Australian muscles, though!"

Hercules felt his hand slam through the stone table and nearly felt that his arm was going to come off.

"That ought to show you to pick a fight with Saxton Hale!" Saxton Hale was beaming. He was proud of himself. "No hippie Greek can match an Australian, yet alone one like Saxton Hale!"

Defeating a demigod didn't quite satisfy Saxton, though. He was feeling a rush of power, and if anything, a sudden violent curiosity about fighting full-blooded gods. He climbed Mount Olympus in twenty minutes flat and kicked down Zeus's door without knocking.

Zeus stared angrily at the man twice his size. "Excuse me, mortal, but I'm trying to cheat on my wife with this fourteen year old boy."
"What is this 'free love' nonsense? I'll kill you, you hippie!"

Saxton Hale grabbed one of Zeus's lightening bolts and shoved it through his chest, then broke his neck for good measure. "Hardly even a challenge!"

He was about to leave when he heard the terrified chattering of teeth. "Oh, the little boy, right," he mumbled. "Sorry you had to see that, lad. Go home and get some rest."

Saxton Hale thought for a moment. "Here, take this rocket launcher. Use it to protect yourself from creeps like that."
"Actually I wanted to be here."
Saxton Hale thought for a moment. "What a bloody awful thing for a child to think. I've got to save these kids from the disgusting hippies who doing this to them."

Thus began the genocide of ancient Greek mythological figures. He beat Medusa at a staring contest and then strangled her with her own snakes. He strangled Apollo with his own harp strings. Just about everyone else he killed in his favorite way though, using his bare hands.

Soon only one Greek god remained, Aphrodite. Saxton walked up to her and cracked his knuckles.

"Why would you kill all those people?" asked Aphrodite.
"Gods aren't people," said Saxton Hale. "I killed them because they were damned hippies poisoning the children."
"You're a monster," said Aphrodite.
"No," said Saxton. "I'm a proud Australian. Proud Australians are hunters, not predators!" Then he killed her.

He then killed a bunch of discord moderators.

36 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Having hunted the most dangerous animals on Earth to endangerment, Hale had his engineers build a portal to a place with terrifying monsters he could fight. He landed in the Heroic Age, the time of gods and monsters described in Homer, hundreds of years before the Peloponnesian War, and entirely incapable of handling the greatest man Australia ever produced.

As soon as he came through, he found himself in front of a giant dragon with many heads. Also a lake, which was less important.

Hale turned to the great beast and grinned. "Maybe I can finally get a decent challenge. C'm'ere you scaly malformed dinosaur!"

The Hydra reared back one of many heads, then spat a stream of its deadly poison at Saxton Hale. The Australian leapt out of its path, straight towards the beast. A second head shot forth at him, attempting to chomp down on the muscular man, only to be intercepted by his right fist. The unfortunate second head was violently ripped from its neck and shot into the sea like a mortar shell.

Saxton landed on head that had spat poison at him and began gouging out its eyes. It was with some joy Saxton Hale watched two heads regrow near instantly from the biting head's stub. "Oh, now this is really going to be something!"

Saxton jumped from scaly forehead to scaly forehead. The Hydra spat and snapped at its attacker, but was unable to match his nimble bulk, biting and burning itself as its long necks tangled up in each other, more and more until the beast suddenly found its remaining heads knotted up into a single bundle. "I've got you where I want you now," grinned Hale, who jumped off the belly of the dragon and grabbed all the heads at once.

"SAXTON!"

He reached a height so great that the Hydra had been plucked from the lake, dangling helpless as the Aussie reached the peak of his ascent.

"HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE!"

With a mighty shout, Saxton Hale initiated an even mightier pile drive. The Hydra heads slammed into the ground all at once and vaporized into bloody mist, leaving nothing but a nuclear crater and tiny little neck stubs.

"Let's see if you can regrow heads from that!" shouted Saxton Hale, and was disappointed when it couldn't.

"I brought this torch any everything- do you know how much more work you've caused me, you dick?"

Saxton Hale slapped the man. "You watch how you speak to Saxton Hale! Who are you?"
A glint shone in Saxton's eye. "The half god warrior with supernatural strength?"
"The same."

"Hah! Well then, let's try and settle it with a little competition, eh?" Saxton Hale picked up a boulder, placed it between them, and smashed it with his fist. The stone shattered into the form of a table, afraid to come out as any other shape. "Let's have a little go, then!" Saxton sat at the table and placed his elbow on the table. Herc looked at him strangely. "Come on mate, haven't you ever done a bit of arm wrestling?" Slowly, the demigod mimicked the Aussie's posture, locked hands, and they began their competition. Shockingly and by an act of merciful humor, it did not end right away.

"Looks like you've got some strength in your wrists after all," grinned Saxton Hale. "Not enough to match these Australian muscles, though!"

Hercules felt his hand slam through the stone table and nearly felt that his arm was going to come off.

"That ought to show you to pick a fight with Saxton Hale!" Saxton Hale was beaming. He was proud of himself. "No hippie Greek can match an Australian, yet alone one like Saxton Hale!"

Defeating a demigod didn't quite satisfy Saxton, though. He was feeling a rush of power, and if anything, a sudden violent curiosity about fighting full-blooded gods. He climbed Mount Olympus in twenty minutes flat and kicked down Zeus's door without knocking.

Zeus stared angrily at the man twice his size. "Excuse me, mortal, but I'm trying to cheat on my wife with this fourteen year old boy."

Saxton Hale grabbed one of Zeus's lightening bolts and shoved it through his chest, then broke his neck for good measure. "Hardly even a challenge!"

He was about to leave when he heard the terrified chattering of teeth. "Oh, the little boy, right," he mumbled. "Sorry you had to see that, lad. Go home and get some rest."

Saxton Hale thought for a moment. "Here, take this rocket launcher. Use it to protect yourself from creeps like that."
Saxton Hale thought for a moment. "What a bloody awful thing for a child to think. I've got to save these kids from the disgusting hippies who doing this to them."

Thus began the genocide of ancient Greek mythological figures. He beat Medusa at a staring contest and then strangled her with her own snakes. He strangled Apollo with his own harp strings. Just about everyone else he killed in his favorite way though, using his bare hands.

Soon only one Greek god remained, Aphrodite. Saxton walked up to her and cracked his knuckles.

"Gods aren't people," said Saxton Hale. "I killed them because they were damned hippies poisoning the children."
"No," said Saxton. "I'm a proud Australian. Proud Australians are hunters, not predators!" Then he killed her.

What the everliving FRICK was this, I love it.

Just now, SoulWeaver said:

What the everliving FRICK was this, I love it.

Team Fortress 2 has a character named Saxton Hale. He's the fourth richest man in the world and will kill you if you surpass him in that ranking. He's the star of his own comic series, is all that is man, and has his perpetually exposed chest hair trimmed into the shape of Australia.

57 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"SAXTON!"

"HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE!"

"The same."

What the fuck did I just read?

Sorry but that's not even...

Yeah, it's weird.  I'll go with that.

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I fear no man, friends, but that thing...

Reveal hidden contents

Screw scares me, this horrifies every inch of my soul...

What's spurn? I don't recognize it...

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

What's spurn? I don't recognize it...

Repel/Close Call but we skipped Lunge and Drag Back and went straight to Wrath. Both Kris have it, hence the sudden Kris love on the Reddit.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

Repel/Close Call but we skipped Lunge and Drag Back and went straight to Wrath. Both Kris have it, hence the sudden Kris love on the Reddit.

So it reduces damage and gives the Wrath skill?! Sweet Mother Naga...

Wowzers, I've really fallen behind in terms of skills after only being unable to summon for four months...

So, here are my critiques. They probably won’t be too detailed, but they’ll just touch on points I liked.

@Anacybele

Spoiler

It was nice to see a positive spin on patriotism this entry. And Kieran is a good father to his kid, honestly.
I think my favorite thing about this entry is that, even without really knowing the Tellius characters, I can still see their personalities be shown and the like. Basically, I was still able to enjoy this entry in spite of not playing the Tellius series.

@AnonymousSpeed

Spoiler

And here we have a parody of patriotism. I am definitely familiar with TF2, and I love the ridiculous antics of Saxton Hale. The entry really shows him to be of meme levels beyond figures like Chuck Norris and Segata Sanshiro. And the tone fits in perfectly with the source material, as if taken straight out of it.

Also, I don’t think I’ll ever get old for jokes about Zeus and his sexual antics.

@Jotari

Spoiler

I really thought Donald Trump was talking to Yamato here, but I guess that’s what happens when a really big and controversial figure has the name of Donald. I guess the discussion about presidency gave me that impression, too.

Again, though, we have a positive take on patriotism. However, we also see how politics can obstruct those beliefs when we see Helen get back at Yamato for threatening her. It does serve as a major part of Yamato’s arc here. Even though he won his presidency by a landslide, with the people supporting him, he technically did not suit all of the prerequisites of presidency. And all because of one thing in his past he did not know.

The biggest problem is that I want to know what happens next, because things could get even more interesting from here.

@TheSilentChloey

Spoiler

This was definitely an interesting entry. Knowing of the context of the conversation surrounding the entry, I can get where you are coming from. Although, I was not involved in that conversation, so a detail or two referencing that conversation may have been missed. Other than that, the story does show how some people can mire what could be a good thing for some people.

It was also interesting to see how Summoners and commanders manage the behavior of the Order of Heroes. I do not really get what this has to do with patriotism, but I am sure there is something there that I may be missing. Still, the use of those three words (and how all the Camus archetypes are literally the only ones who did not need them) seem like a nice thing to reference down the line.

@SoulWeaver

Spoiler

You know, this would be a good thing to have in the game. It really is an interesting discussion on what makes a nation (their rulers in specific). Does it matter that the leader is a commoner? He may know the struggles of the common folk, but does he have what it takes to lead?

I have had thoughts that the game’s story would be better if the focus, instead of revolving around the equality of capability of social classes (because Alm starts to break that as soon as he picks up the Royal Sword), would be revolving around the question of “what really makes a leader?” And this conversation does touch upon that. I feel like it does both characters justice, and it does more to set up Fernand’s eventual betrayal.

I decided to choose the best entry based on what provided the most interesting outlook on patriotism, as well as whatever is generally well-written. And I think my vote goes to Jotari this round. Anacybele and AnonymousSpeed’s entries are close seconds.

By the by, credit goes to @Ottservia for helping me improve the story of my entry with his advice that I made sure to follow. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

@Jotari

Hide contents

I really thought Donald Trump was talking to Yamato here, but I guess that’s what happens when a really big and controversial figure has the name of Donald. I guess the discussion about presidency gave me that impression, too.

Again, though, we have a positive take on patriotism. However, we also see how politics can obstruct those beliefs when we see Helen get back at Yamato for threatening her. It does serve as a major part of Yamato’s arc here. Even though he won his presidency by a landslide, with the people supporting him, he technically did not suit all of the prerequisites of presidency. And all because of one thing in his past he did not know.

The biggest problem is that I want to know what happens next, because things could get even more interesting from here.

Wow that was...completely unintentional. I just picked the name Donald at random. It does work surprisingly well though XD Nice to see that people are interested in seeing what would happen next in the story. The answer is I have no clue. I just wanted to present an interesting scenario. A full length story like this would by necessity have to be some kind of court room drama which I'm not sure I'm educated enough to write.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

@Anacybele

Reveal hidden contents

It was nice to see a positive spin on patriotism this entry. And Kieran is a good father to his kid, honestly.
I think my favorite thing about this entry is that, even without really knowing the Tellius characters, I can still see their personalities be shown and the like. Basically, I was still able to enjoy this entry in spite of not playing the Tellius series.

I wish we'd had more positive take entries, to be honest. Patriotism is not completely negative. But anyway, I'm glad to see I did well with the characters! Kieran is one of my favorites in this series, as is Marcia, actually. They're both so funny and glorious. Kieran's pretty hot on top of that too! But you never played the Tellius games, huh? I recommend you do if you ever get the chance to. They're the best in the series imo. And I think they have the best cast of characters overall. Including the best protag, Ike.

Edited by Anacybele

11 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

So, here are my critiques. They probably won’t be too detailed, but they’ll just touch on points I liked.

@Anacybele

Reveal hidden contents

@AnonymousSpeed

Reveal hidden contents

And here we have a parody of patriotism. I am definitely familiar with TF2, and I love the ridiculous antics of Saxton Hale. The entry really shows him to be of meme levels beyond figures like Chuck Norris and Segata Sanshiro. And the tone fits in perfectly with the source material, as if taken straight out of it.

Also, I don’t think I’ll ever get old for jokes about Zeus and his sexual antics.

@Jotari

Reveal hidden contents

@TheSilentChloey

Reveal hidden contents

This was definitely an interesting entry. Knowing of the context of the conversation surrounding the entry, I can get where you are coming from. Although, I was not involved in that conversation, so a detail or two referencing that conversation may have been missed. Other than that, the story does show how some people can mire what could be a good thing for some people.

It was also interesting to see how Summoners and commanders manage the behavior of the Order of Heroes. I do not really get what this has to do with patriotism, but I am sure there is something there that I may be missing. Still, the use of those three words (and how all the Camus archetypes are literally the only ones who did not need them) seem like a nice thing to reference down the line.

@SoulWeaver

Reveal hidden contents

You know, this would be a good thing to have in the game. It really is an interesting discussion on what makes a nation (their rulers in specific). Does it matter that the leader is a commoner? He may know the struggles of the common folk, but does he have what it takes to lead?

I have had thoughts that the game’s story would be better if the focus, instead of revolving around the equality of capability of social classes (because Alm starts to break that as soon as he picks up the Royal Sword), would be revolving around the question of “what really makes a leader?” And this conversation does touch upon that. I feel like it does both characters justice, and it does more to set up Fernand’s eventual betrayal.

I decided to choose the best entry based on what provided the most interesting outlook on patriotism, as well as whatever is generally well-written. And I think my vote goes to Jotari this round. Anacybele and AnonymousSpeed’s entries are close seconds.

By the by, credit goes to @Ottservia for helping me improve the story of my entry with his advice that I made sure to follow. Thank you.

Yeah, they're pretty good at doing what's asked of them as long as it's not against their countries.  And the story itself short of reflects two sides of the coin in a way.  Also totally made that reference for obvious reasons.