SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

1 hour ago, Benice said:

The prompt is perfectly doable, though. All that's different from usual is that you're writing with tools already given to you. It's just a fanfiction, essentially. There's nothing to say you can't add your own stuff to someone else's work-Heck, you've done it before with your DoD series! You don't need to take every single thing from someone else's entry if you don't want to.

Also, since other people have written stuff for FEH and other similar FE settings, so you could just use the Askr gang and whoever else would be in the order of heroes, if that would click with your writing style more.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with much of what people wrote here. That's the difference. I AM familiar with the FE content I used in the DoD stuff.

Just because it's doable for you doesn't mean it is for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

I’m not saying I necessarily disagree but like Benice said the prompt is perfectly doable and is actually quite a neat idea. I still have a personal issue though in that I don’t think I have enough information to really go and construct a compelling short story with characters and worlds that are not my own. I can write fanfic of official products because there’s enough to analyze and breakdown to get a thorough understanding of the source material. Here I really only have a handful of one shots(sometimes not even a handful) to work with.

Again, it isn't doable for me.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Benice said:

It's just a fanfiction, essentially.

There, Beni gets it.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

I still have a personal issue though in that I don’t think I have enough information to really go and construct a compelling short story with characters and worlds that are not my own.

52 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Like I said, I'm not familiar with much of what people wrote here. That's the difference. I AM familiar with the FE content I used in the DoD stuff.

See though, the thing isn't just that it's a fanfiction and it isn't just to see how different styles mesh together. It's an exercise in interpretation. You don't have to care about how in the weeds of lore you are, what matters is that you come up with an idea you like based on another workman's tools. If you don't know something about the setting and characters, make something up that will benefit your story.

10 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I think I'll just pull from one of my old ones and improve it if I can.  At least that is an option.  Heh...heh...heh...

I'm afraid that is not an option. It must be something someone else wrote.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

See though, the thing isn't just that it's a fanfiction and it isn't just to see how different styles mesh together. It's an exercise in interpretation. You don't have to care about how in the weeds of lore you are, what matters is that you come up with an idea you like based on another workman's tools. If you don't know something about the setting and characters, make something up that will benefit your story.

This is true, but then I'm afraid of using the characters and setting in a way that the original author doesn't like. Otherwise, I might decide to give it a try.

So I finished...

Title: The Price of Patriotism

Words: 2,527

Based offThe Corrupted Pride

Pre Read Notes:

Spoiler

So this is based on the entry The Corrupted Pride and is kind of a Crimson Clouds edition with Felix and Rodrigue as the main subjects, obviously Rodrigue's life is the price that is paid in this fic, since it goes under the assumption that Ashe (sweet little birb that he is) was recruited before the Lonato mission obviously.  Some things were altered as a result but someone still dies.  😕Also Byleth is a telepath because (Crimson Clouds spoilers I can't post yet)

The Entry:

Edited by TheSilentChloey
links XD

20 hours ago, Azure loves his Half Elves said:

Been taking advantage of the comments feature on Google Docs to add a soundtrack to my fic.

I think I’ll be in for a ride writing this one.

Sounds like it will be unique to read as well.

You know, I'm glad for Shob and all but I do feel a bit disappointed he won't be available to submit anything this round. I don't think I'd like it but I think the prompt would suit him.

I'm glad I had some free time when this prompt came up. There was a story from past rounds that I really liked, but I wished for a different ending. Here's the chance to write in that ending.

12 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

I'm glad I had some free time when this prompt came up. There was a story from past rounds that I really liked, but I wished for a different ending. Here's the chance to write in that ending.

This is the sort of thing this prompt was made for. I'm quaking with excitement, don't let me down friend.

Interesting Prompt. 

Things have calmed down enough at home that I had a moment to whip something together real quick.

TITLE:  "Amongst the Fae" 
LENGTH:  1,350 words 
ORIGINAL WORK:  "A Transfigurative Overclass," by @Acacia Sgt

Life amongst the Fae folk was not unpleasant.

Diminished in stature and bereft of her womanly form, Silque had of course been distressed by her unwitting transformation into a faerie.

That distress had been short-lived.

The Hermit of the Shrine had told her what she lost in physical prowess she would make up for in magic. But the old man’s words had not done justice to just how incredibly her magic would grow. In human form she had studied magic. But as a Faerie she was a creature of it. And the vagaries of magic now came to her as naturally as eating and breathing; enchantment as mundane as placing one foot in front of the other, and fine sorcery as routine as spoken word.

There was a beauty all its own to the fae form. And if ever she desired her old one, it was the simplest weave of illusion and glamour to cast the sight of it upon any she wished to perceive it.         

But it was The Fae themselves that most fascinated her.

They were a reclusive folk. Always there, yet never seen. In the woodlands and groves and bluffs of the wild places they kept their kind. Even there: their kingdoms concealed behind such veils of glamour and wards of unseeing that a man could pass right through it and be none-the-wiser.

They were lovers of song, poetry, drink, and mischief.

They fought no wars, but appreciated the artistry of warcraft.

They rode to battle on vespid mounts and in chariots of spring-leaf, for sport. Wielding daggers of antler bone and rapiers of pine needle. Their swordsmen danced and darted on hummingbird wings, with a fluid grace like nothing human. And their lancers stung like hornets.

And no human eye could behold the splendor of it all.

But Silque was of their kind now. And so welcomed among their kingdoms.

There was one among them whom she had taken as a consort. Vendilin, they named him, in the fae tongue. A slender, roguish figure; pale bluish-grey of skin. Black of hair. And his wings like that of a dragonfly; yet luminescent green, and faintly shimmering. A rapier artist of some renown and a Champion of the Games; he was a proud and boastful fae, prone to cutting wit and flights of fancy. But never cocky beyond what the measure of his abilities would warrant, or foolheartedly possessed of confidence without skill.

“This form suits you,” he had told her.

Mere flattery perhaps; but he had not been the first to note that even among the most vaunted beauties of the fae, Silque’s voluminous butterfly wings were regarded as exceptionally exquisite. (More voluminous and magnificent even then those of Titania herself, some would whisper quietly, although none would be so foolish as to say such things out loud)

And it was then that she had truly grown to accept it as her form.    

Life among the fae was quiet. There was little need for work; for the weaves of magic yielded production without labor. All that they required was bountiful and in surplus. And when one consigned himself to a labor, it was more for the satisfaction of mastering a craft and fashioning something of unique beauty with one’s own hand then for genuine need.

Without work, there was only leisure. And the leisure of the fae was a nigh-immortal lifetime of frolics and revels and oneness with nature; forests echoing with laughter that the ears of men would never hear.

Yes—life amongst the fae folk was not unpleasant at all.  

And yet for one accustomed to the trials and tribulations of human struggle, overtime, there was a dull monotony to it. It is said that familiarity breeds contempt.

“Contempt” was too harsh a word for it. Silque bore no ill-sentiments towards her adoptive people or their carefree lifestyle.  

But—boredom. Yes. That was a better word.

Endless leisure, surplus without struggle, and a life completely devoid of trials and tribulations was boring.

Perhaps there was some sliver of truth to War-Father Duma’s teachings after all. For the life of a Faerie was as perfect a realization of the Earth-Mother’s vision for her children as any that could be conceived.

…and yet something was missing from it…

And so Silque disembarked from the Faerie Kingdoms. Back to the realms of men. Seeking some semblance of the life she had once known.

Vendilin accompanied her. In part, out of attachment. In part, in bewildered bemusement of what she sought.

“Twas folly to doubt you, truly.” Vendilin spoke with laden sarcasm. Sampling human-made wine with visible distaste.

“Amongst the humans, this is considered a very fine vintage!” Silque assured him. She soothed her vespid mount, and the wasp-like creature wagged its antennae and clicked happily.  

“Amongst the fae, this is ram’s piss.” Vendilin spat it out. Conjured a goblet of spun silver. And mixed the contents of the wine with his glamour-dust. Then finding the concoction palatable with the addition of Faerie Magic, he drank deep. “Where are we going anyway?” Vendilin asked of her.

“To the place from which this vintage hails. Ram Village,” Silque answered.

“Ahhhhhh. So it is ram’s piss,” Vendilin quipped.

“It was the home of the Human-King Alm,” Silque ignored the barb. “I knew him once. Many long years ago. It is a small farming village. They work the land for their food, you know. ”

“Quaint.” Vendilin conjured an apple out of thin air, skewered it upon his rapier, and partook of the fruit. It was perfectly ripened and a pleasing crunchy-sweet. “Do they also marry their livestock?”  

“Oh, hush!” Silque knew he was only teasing….but still…

“Whats so great about toiling under a hot sun and scraping the dirt for a morsel? I’d marry a goat to if I had to…”

A woman’s scream cut him off.

“That came from the Old Highway.” Silque darted to attention.

“Human problems,” Vendilin was recumbent. Leave it be.”         

“I remember that place…wasn’t that where I…” Silque strained at the memory. She recalled so very little now of her human years, but something came to the forefront. “OH GODS!”

And with that, she was off.

“…dammnit…” Vendilin fluttered after her.

They came upon a juncture in the road where a pair of highwaymen beset a young, female traveler; hoping to make off with her to their lair.

Past the northern bend and to the cave off the side of the road; the one with the abandoned shrine. Silque knew, as if by memory. Though she could not say from whence the memory came. On the edge of it she felt a feeling of—powerlessness??? Odd, Silque thought. There was no reason for it. She had power in this place.

It was the simplest thing now; to send those men into a deep slumber from which they could do no harm. Silque breathed the breath of magic. She held out her hands to her lips, and blew a kiss.

Where it struck them: the highway men collapsed in place. Snoring loudly, and dreaming deep dreams.

“What now?” Vendilin held his rapier at the ready. “Shall I needle them through the eye for you, my love?”  

“Tempting. But unnecessary.” Silque recited her old prayer that such men learn decency. Except it was less prayer now, and more a command. Her magic seeded their dreams. Her suggestions wove their way into their sleeping psyches. And she said: “When they awake—I suspect they will have had a sudden change of heart.”

“Hmphhhhh” Vendilin obliged, and sheathed his weapon. “It makes no difference. Humans will act this way for as long as there are humans.”

“Not all humans.” Silque told him.

“Enough of them.” Vendilin retorted.

“Well perhaps the high-and-mighty fae would to, if they had to toil under a hot sun and scrape though dirt for a morsel.” Silque retorted right back. Then teasingly added: “Or would you still rather marry that goat?”

Vendilin had a good laugh at that. And they were back on their way.

Yes, Silque thought to herself. Life among the Fae was not unpleasant.   

4 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Has anyone noticed a trend with my fictions?

It appears that they've on average been getting longer each round lol.

I'd say this is a good thing, honestly. Your longer works are better imo. Length can do wonders to help flesh out the story and characters. If it's real short, it's more likely to seem rushed and incomplete or something.

Of course, you also don't want to have the problem I do sometimes and make stuff TOO long. lol I think 4000-6000 words is a good range to be in for one-shots.

34 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Interesting Prompt. 

Things have calmed down enough at home that I had a moment to whip something together real quick.

Reveal hidden contents

Life amongst the Fae folk was not unpleasant.

Diminished in stature and bereft of her womanly form, Silque had of course been distressed by her unwitting transformation into a faerie.

That distress had been short-lived.

The Hermit of the Shrine had told her what she lost in physical prowess she would make up for in magic. But the old man’s words had not done justice to just how incredibly her magic would grow. In human form she had studied magic. But as a Faerie she was a creature of it. And the vagaries of magic now came to her as naturally as eating and breathing; enchantment as mundane as placing one foot in front of the other, and fine sorcery as routine as spoken word.

There was a beauty all its own to the fae form. And if ever she desired her old one, it was the simplest weave of illusion and glamour to cast the sight of it upon any she wished to perceive it.         

But it was The Fae themselves that most fascinated her.

They were a reclusive folk. Always there, yet never seen. In the woodlands and groves and bluffs of the wild places they kept their kind. Even there: their kingdoms concealed behind such veils of glamour and wards of unseeing that a man could pass right through it and be none-the-wiser.

They were lovers of song, poetry, drink, and mischief.

They fought no wars, but appreciated the artistry of warcraft.

They rode to battle on vespid mounts and in chariots of spring-leaf, for sport. Wielding daggers of antler bone and rapiers of pine needle. Their swordsmen danced and darted on hummingbird wings, with a fluid grace like nothing human. And their lancers stung like hornets.

And no human eye could behold the splendor of it all.

But Silque was of their kind now. And so welcomed among their kingdoms.

There was one among them whom she had taken as a consort. Vendilin, they named him, in the fae tongue. A slender, roguish figure; pale bluish-grey of skin. Black of hair. And his wings like that of a dragonfly; yet luminescent green, and faintly shimmering. A rapier artist of some renown and a Champion of the Games; he was a proud and boastful fae, prone to cutting wit and flights of fancy. But never cocky beyond what the measure of his abilities would warrant, or foolheartedly possessed of confidence without skill.

“This form suits you,” he had told her.

Mere flattery perhaps; but he had not been the first to note that even among the most vaunted beauties of the fae, Silque’s voluminous butterfly wings were regarded as exceptionally exquisite. (More voluminous and magnificent even then those of Titania herself, some would whisper quietly, although none would be so foolish as to say such things out loud)

And it was then that she had truly grown to accept it as her form.    

Life among the fae was quiet. There was little need for work; for the weaves of magic yielded production without labor. All that they required was bountiful and in surplus. And when one consigned himself to a labor, it was more for the satisfaction of mastering a craft and fashioning something of unique beauty with one’s own hand then for genuine need.

Without work, there was only leisure. And the leisure of the fae was a nigh-immortal lifetime of frolics and revels and oneness with nature; forests echoing with laughter that the ears of men would never hear.

Yes—life amongst the fae folk was not unpleasant at all.  

And yet for one accustomed to the trials and tribulations of human struggle, overtime, there was a dull monotony to it. It is said that familiarity breeds contempt.

“Contempt” was too harsh a word for it. Silque bore no ill-sentiments towards her adoptive people or their carefree lifestyle.  

But—boredom. Yes. That was a better word.

Endless leisure, surplus without struggle, and a life completely devoid of trials and tribulations was boring.

Perhaps there was some sliver of truth to War-Father Duma’s teachings after all. For the life of a Faerie was as perfect a realization of the Earth-Mother’s vision for her children as any that could be conceived.

…and yet something was missing from it…

And so Silque disembarked from the Faerie Kingdoms. Back to the realms of men. Seeking some semblance of the life she had once known.

Vendilin accompanied her. In part, out of attachment. In part, in bewildered bemusement of what she sought.

“Twas folly to doubt you, truly.” Vendilin spoke with laden sarcasm. Sampling human-made wine with visible distaste.

“Amongst the humans, this is considered a very fine vintage!” Silque assured him. She soothed her vespid mount, and the wasp-like creature wagged its antennae and clicked happily.  

“Amongst the fae, this is ram’s piss.” Vendilin spat it out. Conjured a goblet of spun silver. And mixed the contents of the wine with his glamour-dust. Then finding the concoction palatable with the addition of Faerie Magic, he drank deep. “Where are we going anyway?” Vendilin asked of her.

“To the place from which this vintage hails. Ram Village,” Silque answered.

“Ahhhhhh. So it is ram’s piss,” Vendilin quipped.

“It was the home of the Human-King Alm,” Silque ignored the barb. “I knew him once. Many long years ago. It is a small farming village. They work the land for their food, you know. ”

“Quaint.” Vendilin conjured an apple out of thin air, skewered it upon his rapier, and partook of the fruit. It was perfectly ripened and a pleasing crunchy-sweet. “Do they also marry their livestock?”  

“Oh, hush!” Silque knew he was only teasing….but still…

“Whats so great about toiling under a hot sun and scraping the dirt for a morsel? I’d marry a goat to if I had to…”

A woman’s scream cut him off.

“That came from the Old Highway.” Silque darted to attention.

“Human problems,” Vendilin was recumbent. Leave it be.”         

“I remember that place…wasn’t that where I…” Silque strained at the memory. She recalled so very little now of her human years, but something came to the forefront. “OH GODS!”

And with that, she was off.

“…dammnit…” Vendilin fluttered after her.

They came upon a juncture in the road where a pair of highwaymen beset a young, female traveler; hoping to make off with her to their lair.

Past the northern bend and to the cave off the side of the road; the one with the abandoned shrine. Silque knew, as if by memory. Though she could not say from whence the memory came. On the edge of it she felt a feeling of—powerlessness??? Odd, Silque thought. There was no reason for it. She had power in this place.

It was the simplest thing now; to send those men into a deep slumber from which they could do no harm. Silque breathed the breath of magic. She held out her hands to her lips, and blew a kiss.

Where it struck them: the highway men collapsed in place. Snoring loudly, and dreaming deep dreams.

“What now?” Vendilin held his rapier at the ready. “Shall I needle them through the eye for you, my love?”  

“Tempting. But unnecessary.” Silque recited her old prayer that such men learn decency. Except it was less prayer now, and more a command. Her magic seeded their dreams. Her suggestions wove their way into their sleeping psyches. And she said: “When they awake—I suspect they will have had a sudden change of heart.”

“Hmphhhhh” Vendilin obliged, and sheathed his weapon. “It makes no difference. Humans will act this way for as long as there are humans.”

“Not all humans.” Silque told him.

“Enough of them.” Vendilin retorted.

“Well perhaps the high-and-mighty fae would to, if they had to toil under a hot sun and scrape though dirt for a morsel.” Silque retorted right back. Then teasingly added: “Or would you still rather marry that goat?”

Vendilin had a good laugh at that. And they were back on their way.

Yes, Silque thought to herself. Life among the Fae was not unpleasant.   

Welcome back, papa bear!

I’ll review this in due time.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Well, that was a surprise.

I know the prompt didn't input any restrictions, but phew, certainly is like a different story altogether, heh. Still, was very interesting, specially the parts that went in detail about Fae culture. Not the direction I would've take it, but it was a neat read nonetheless.

I just kinda wanna write a fight scene now what old entry would allow me to do that? I have been a very big battle shounen mood as of late

Edited by Ottservia

Alright, that was a blast to write, although I got stuck at a few places trying to figure out how to connect some moments. Anyways, here's the story.

A Sequel to Ottservia's "The Story Unknown to All" (As such I recommend at least skimming over that one before reading this, just to get some better context)

Word Count: 2078

Smiling with Innocent Eyes

Spoiler

Lucina brushed aside the dark blue bangs that hung over her face, still trying to process what had just happened. Severa had rushed out of the infirmary tent after screaming that she was sorry. Lucina had reached out as Severa ran, her red twintails flowing behind her as she flung the tent flaps open. Severa wouldn’t listen as Lucina called after her, leaving the bewildered girl in her bed.

“She’s sorry, but what’s she sorry for?” Lucina wondered aloud. She started to lay back down, but stopped halfway through. Something was wrong, her heart was racing. But, why? The battle had long since past, she had been sitting in this tent for hours. But Severa, just her being there had made it race faster than even her toughest battles with Grima. Her mind was buzzing, repeating the conversation they had again, and again. Every sensation, every emotion, every moment, again, and again. But how could Severa make her feel like that, the only time you’d feel like that is if you . . .

Lucina slowly turned and got out of the bed. Her body ached, and her left leg which had gotten nailed by an arrow buzzed with a dull pain. In spite of this, she grabbed her Falchion and hobbled out towards the direction she thought Severa would’ve headed.

~*~

“It’s better this way.” That’s what Severa thought as she curled up besides a great oak tree. Nobody would want to love someone as worthless as her, she’s nothing but disgusting garbage thrown at the perfection of not only her mother, but now Lucina. She peeked out above her knees, trying to find something to focus on, to distract her mind from these horrible thoughts. But all she saw was the river, and her reflection in it. The reflection of the girl destined to roll on forever within the endless void of her mother’s shadow.

“Why, why couldn’t I have been stronger?” She almost silently spoke between sobs. She clutched her knees tighter to her chest and buried her face in them. She had been so worried about Lucina that she hadn’t even changed out of her battle armor, the cold metal of her knee-braces turning hot against her flushed face. She wailed, “If only I could’ve told her.”

From behind her, she heard a voice.“Told me what?”
Severa glanced in the direction of the voice, seeing a pained, limping Lucina.
“Wha- What are you doing here you idiot?” She said as she quickly got up and rushed over to support Lucina. “You should be in bed, those are serious wounds.”
Lucina let go of the Falchion she had used as a walking stick, and leaned onto Severa, saying, “Well, some things were just more important.”

Severa lowered Lucina down against the tree and sat by her. The two of them sat in silence, watching the night sky. Stars dotted the infinite blackness that seemed to absorb everything around them. Severa stared, letting herself fall into an almost trancelike state as the stars twinkled.

~*~

“I meant it, you know.” Lucina’s words cut through the night and shook Severa out of her trance.
“You what?” Severa asked, looking over to see Lucina staring right at her.
“I mean it when I said that I liked you a lot.” Lucina’s brilliant blue eyes looked right into Severa’s scarlet ones.

Severa quickly glanced away. “Oh, you were talking about that.” She wanted to run, she couldn’t do this, she had already failed, there was no chance. She was doomed to forever be a pathetic loser.

“In fact, I think it might be more than a like, maybe more like a love.” Lucina said, as Severa’s face lit up a bright red.
“How could you love someone like me? I’m just a burden who's standing in your way.” Severa said back, as she began nervously running her hands through her crimson hair.
Lucina scooched closer to Severa, saying “I don’t think of you as a burden, how could I when you’ve done so much for me?”
“Are you talking about the battlefield today? Anyone would’ve done that, I’m not special.” Severa said as her fingers began to tense up, almost pulling on her hair at this point.
“Anyone could’ve but it was you who did it” Lucina responded.
“Whatever, just leave me alone.” Severa said, tears beginning to form in her eyes.
“You had something you wanted to tell me, and I’m not leaving until I hear it.” Lucina said, crossing her arms as though to prove a point.

Severa went silent as her brain was spinning. This was her chance, it was sitting right next to her, almost literally handing the opportunity on a silver platter right to her. But again and again she was refusing it. Why? Why couldn’t she even look at Lucina?
The tears began to stream down her face, as she silently wept into her arms.
“Severa?” Lucina asked, with a look of caring concern. “Are you ok?”

Severa exploded, “NO, I’M NOT! I can’t, I just can’t say what I want to, what I need to. I’m an utter failure.” She buried her head back into her knees as the tears kept flowing out.
 “Severa, you’re not a failure. And whatever you say, know I’ll accept you.” Lucina said, as she put a reassuring hand on Severa’s shoulder.
Lucina’s touch awoke something in Severa. “She’ll accept me, you have nothing to fear.” she thought to herself. Even if she was scared, she had to take this chance. “If Lucina thinks I’m not a failure, then it’s gotta be true”.

Severa slowly looked back towards Lucina, looking at all of her. She was wearing a simple blue shirt and brown pants that covered up the bandages. In spite of the simplicity, it looked elegant on her. Eventually Severa’s eyes met Lucina’s, and in them Severa found a world even more vast than the night sky that had entranced her just moments before. In them she saw beauty, she saw the girl she loved more than life itself. But more than that, she saw the will, the drive, the confidence to move forward, and to finally be free from her own burdens.

Severa cleared her thoughts, and then quietly asked, “Hey Lucina?”

“Yes Severa?” Lucina responded, her words full of kindness and acceptance, begging Severa to be open to her.

Severa started, quietly saying “I . . .”. She began fidgeting, she clenched her eyes shut. She repeated herself, louder this time, “I . . .”. The doubts flooded back into her mind but she kept pushing them out, supplanting them with her thoughts “I can do this, I will do this, I have to do this.” She sucked in a deep breath, and looked Lucina dead in her innocent, smiling eyes.

“Lucina, I love you. I love you more than anything in this world. You give me the strength to do things I thought I could never do.”

Lucina smiled, grabbed Severa’s hand and pulled herself so there wasn’t any space between them. “Well I already knew that”, she jokingly said.
Severa pouted, “Idiot, if you already knew it then why’d you make me say it?”
“Because it means so much to hear you say it.” Lucina said as she placed her hand onto Severa’s cheek, leaning in for a kiss.
Severa sputtered out a response, “Wha- Lucina isn’t this a bit sud-mmph” but was silenced as Lucina locked lips with her.

In that moment Severa knew she had made the right choice. As the two fumbled their way into a kiss, they seemed to meld into one person. Warmth spread into her body as joy and love seemed never-ending. She put her arms around Lucina and held tight, not wanting the messy moment to ever end.

The two eventually pulled away from one another, and looked deep into each other’s eyes. “Well, I guess we should start heading back.” Lucina said as she struggled to get up.
Severa looked and saw the rising sun behind Lucina, realizing just how long they had spent together. “Oh, I guess we probably should.” She quickly stood up and helped the still injured warrior to her feet. It was at this moment she noticed the Falchion still sticking out of the ground. “Did you really use the Falchion as a walking stick to find me? Aren’t you worried it’ll be ruined?” She asked as she led Lucina over to it.

Lucina pulled it out of the ground, “It’s fine, I’ll sharpen it later. And even if it was damaged, I would gladly have done it again.” she said, leaning back onto Severa’s shoulders.
“Why? That’s a priceless sword.” Severa said, nodding towards the blade Lucina held in her right hand.
Lucina looked at it, and then back to Severa, saying “Sure, but then I would’ve traded it for something even more priceless.”

~*~

Severa was searching around the family house. She and Lucina were going off on a journey the next day, so she was trying to finish any leftover business. She was poking around one of the old bookshelves when she found what she was looking for. Behind some of her father’s tomes was a tattered, old leather book. It was one she distinctly remembered from her childhood.

“Make Him Fall for You in a Fortnight” she said, reading the title out loud. “What a stupid idea, what idiot falls for someone that fast?” Sitting back in a chair, she cracked it open and started to read it.

‘Baking him pies is a great start, the easiest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’ I guess that could apply to Lucina too, that woman could eat a bear and still be hungry.” Severa said, chuckling to herself as she turned the page. She was skimming it when something struck her. “Wait, I think I recognize these words, lemme see here. ‘But there’s one thing men seek above all else. Appearance. A voluptuous form will catch their eye and make them fall for you in less than a fortnight.’” Severa sat there, looking at that page. Memories of the past flowed back through her mind. Her mother’s sad face when she saw the book, and how quickly she put back on a happy appearance to not disturb the young Severa.

She must’ve sat there a while, because her mother came in. “Severa what are you doing?” Cordelia asked softly. “Aren’t you setting off early tomorrow?”
“Oh, yes mother.” Severa said, “I was just reminiscing about the past.” She handed the book to her mother, whose cheery eyes immediately went sad upon seeing the book.
“This is the book you’re looking back on for memories?” Cordelia asked incredulously, cordially flipping through a page or two.
“Remember back when I read a page and you were mortified?” Severa asked, a soft smile forming on her face.

Cordelia sighed, “I wish I didn’t, but maybe it was for the better.” She stood up and put the book back on the bookshelf.
Severa leaned forward in her seat and looked at her mom inquisitively. “Why would it be for the better”, she asked.
Cordelia walked over and kneeled down next to Severa, “Because you were able to avoid the biggest failure of my life.”
Severa grinned, “Well, it didn’t stop me from making a lot of other mistakes.”

Cordelia kissed Severa on the forehead. “Come on now little miss ‘Married to the Exalt’, off to bed.”
Severa put on a mock pout, “MOM, she’s not even the exalt yet, and we aren’t married.”
Cordelia chuckled, “Engaged, married, same thing. Either way, one day it’ll be my girl who sits on the throne with her.”

Severa got up and started walking towards her room, as she got to the door she turned around, asking “Hey, what was with that ‘little miss’ comment?”
Cordelia smiled, responding “As long as you’re under this house, you’re still my little girl.”
Severa yawned, and instead of throwing back some joking annoyance, merely nodded and said “Night mom.”
“Night dear” Cordelia said as Severa closed the door.

Laying down on her bed, Severa looked up at the ceiling. She thought back to the night when Lucina finally squeezed a confession out of her. “It was a wonder she stuck around so long for me, but I’m glad she did.” Severa sleepily said to herself. She closed her eyes, resting until the dawn of the new day, when she and Lucina would go out and make the story known to all.

Some Self Reflections:

Spoiler

As I said before, I really enjoyed writing this story. When I saw this prompt, I just felt like writing something about Severa, so I started combing over Ott's entries. For a day an a half I was actually working on another entry based on his "The Sun's Gentle Hands" piece, but I ran into the issue that it was really fucking depressing, and like, I was in the mood for some romance. Then I remembered that there was a piece that focused Lucina and Severa almost exclusively, and found it. Of course, that one also had a sad ending, and I was not having that. I was getting those two the happy ending they deserved.

That aside, writing a sequel piece had some limitations. There was a subplot I wanted to add in about Chrom being iffy about the whole Lucina and Severa hooking up thing, but I decided to cut it since it wasn't really in the original piece. I tried to make it seem like the other half, trying to seamlessly have our entries operate as one, and thusly I tried to keep similar theming throughout. I won't say I was perfect, I don't have the absolute perfect grasp on Severa's character that Ott has, and I kinda made Lucina be a bit more flirty and wiser than she normally is, to better act as a foil to Severa's self-deprecation. And Cordelia I barely knew how to write. I kinda just used my own mom as inspiration at that point, with slight reference to supports for wording choice. Although that line from Cordelia about "As long as you're under this house" was straight from my mom, since it just felt so wholesome.

I also realized halfway through that describing romance is like, really hard. I tried to embody a more innocent sense of love and passion. Not sure how well I succeeded in that, guess I'll find out.

Edited by DarthR0xas
Adding them Wowaka references

13 minutes ago, DarthR0xas said:

Alright, that was a blast to write, although I got stuck at a few places trying to figure out how to connect some moments. Anyways, here's the story.

A Sequel to Ottservia's "The Story Unknown to All" (As such I recommend at least skimming over that one before reading this, just to get some better context)

Word Count: 2078

Requited Love

Hide contents

Lucina brushed aside the dark blue bangs that hung over her face, still trying to process what had just happened. Severa had rushed out of the infirmary tent after screaming that she was sorry. Lucina had reached out as Severa ran, her red twintails flowing behind her as she flung the tent flaps open. Severa wouldn’t listen as Lucina called after her, leaving the bewildered girl in her bed.

“She’s sorry, but what’s she sorry for?” Lucina wondered aloud. She started to lay back down, but stopped halfway through. Something was wrong, her heart was racing. But, why? The battle had long since past, she had been sitting in this tent for hours. But Severa, just her being there had made it race faster than even her toughest battles with Grima. Her mind was buzzing, repeating the conversation they had again, and again. Every sensation, every emotion, every moment, again, and again. But how could Severa make her feel like that, the only time you’d feel like that is if you . . .

Lucina slowly turned and got out of the bed. Her body ached, and her left leg which had gotten nailed by an arrow buzzed with a dull pain. In spite of this, she grabbed her Falchion and hobbled out towards the direction she thought Severa would’ve headed.

~*~

“It’s better this way.” That’s what Severa thought as she curled up besides a great oak tree. Nobody would want to love someone as worthless as her, she’s nothing but disgusting garbage thrown at the perfection of not only her mother, but now Lucina. She peeked out above her knees, trying to find something to focus on, to distract her mind from these horrible thoughts. But all she saw was the river, and her reflection in it. The reflection of the girl destined to roll on forever within the endless void of her mother’s shadow.

“Why, why couldn’t I have been stronger?” She almost silently spoke between sobs. She clutched her knees tighter to her chest and buried her face in them. She had been so worried about Lucina that she hadn’t even changed out of her battle armor, the cold metal of her knee-braces turning hot against her flushed face. She wailed, “If only I could’ve told her.”

From behind her, she heard a voice.“Told me what?”
Severa glanced in the direction of the voice, seeing a pained, limping Lucina.
“Wha- What are you doing here you idiot?” She said as she quickly got up and rushed over to support Lucina. “You should be in bed, those are serious wounds.”
Lucina let go of the Falchion she had used as a walking stick, and leaned onto Severa, saying, “Well, some things were just more important.”

Severa lowered Lucina down against the tree and sat by her. The two of them sat in silence, watching the night sky. Stars dotted the infinite blackness that seemed to absorb everything around them. Severa stared, letting herself fall into an almost trancelike state as the stars twinkled.

~*~

“I meant it, you know.” Lucina’s words cut through the night and shook Severa out of her trance.
“You what?” Severa asked, looking over to see Lucina staring right at her.
“I mean it when I said that I liked you a lot.” Lucina’s brilliant blue eyes looked right into Severa’s scarlet ones.

Severa quickly glanced away. “Oh, you were talking about that.” She wanted to run, she couldn’t do this, she had already failed, there was no chance. She was doomed to forever be a pathetic loser.

“In fact, I think it might be more than a like, maybe more like a love.” Lucina said, as Severa’s face lit up a bright red.
“How could you love someone like me? I’m just a burden who ruins everything.” Severa said back, as she began nervously running her hands through her crimson hair.
Lucina scooched closer to Severa, saying “I don’t think of you as a burden, how could I when you’ve done so much for me?”
“Are you talking about the battlefield today? Anyone would’ve done that, I’m not special.” Severa said as her fingers began to tense up, almost pulling on her hair at this point.
“Anyone could’ve but it was you who did it” Lucina responded.
“Whatever, just leave me alone.” Severa said, tears beginning to form in her eyes.
“You had something you wanted to tell me, and I’m not leaving until I hear it.” Lucina said, crossing her arms as though to prove a point.

Severa went silent as her brain was spinning. This was her chance, it was sitting right next to her, almost literally handing the opportunity on a silver platter right to her. But again and again she was refusing it. Why? Why couldn’t she even look at Lucina?
The tears began to stream down her face, as she silently wept into her arms.
“Severa?” Lucina asked, with a look of caring concern. “Are you ok?”

Severa exploded, “NO, I’M NOT! I can’t, I just can’t say what I want to, what I need to. I’m an utter failure.” She buried her head back into her knees as the tears kept flowing out.
 “Severa, you’re not a failure. And whatever you say, know I’ll accept you.” Lucina said, as she put a reassuring hand on Severa’s shoulder.
Lucina’s touch awoke something in Severa. “She’ll accept me, you have nothing to fear.” she thought to herself. Even if she was scared, she had to take this chance. “If Lucina thinks I’m not a failure, then it’s gotta be true”.

Severa slowly looked back towards Lucina, looking at all of her. She was wearing a simple blue shirt and brown pants that covered up the bandages. In spite of the simplicity, it looked elegant on her. Eventually Severa’s eyes met Lucina’s, and in them Severa found a world even more vast than the night sky that had entranced her just moments before. In them she saw beauty, she saw the girl she loved more than life itself. But more than that, she saw the will, the drive, the confidence to move forward, and to finally be free from her own burdens.

Severa cleared her thoughts, and then quietly asked, “Hey Lucina?”

“Yes Severa?” Lucina responded, her words full of kindness and acceptance, begging Severa to be open to her.

Severa started, quietly saying “I . . .”. She began fidgeting, she clenched her eyes shut. She repeated herself, louder this time, “I . . .”. The doubts flooded back into her mind but she kept pushing them out, supplanting them with her thoughts “I can do this, I will do this, I have to do this.” She sucked in a deep breath, and looked Lucina dead in the eyes.

“Lucina, I love you. I love you more than anything in this world. You give me the strength to do things I thought I could never do.”

Lucina smiled, grabbed Severa’s hand and pulled herself so there wasn’t any space between them. “Well I already knew that”, she jokingly said.
Severa pouted, “Idiot, if you already knew it then why’d you make me say it?”
“Because it means so much to hear you say it.” Lucina said as she placed her hand onto Severa’s cheek, leaning in for a kiss.
Severa sputtered out a response, “Wha- Lucina isn’t this a bit sud-mmph” but was silenced as Lucina locked lips with her.

In that moment Severa knew she had made the right choice. As the two fumbled their way into a kiss, they seemed to meld into one person. Warmth spread into her body as joy and love seemed never-ending. She put her arms around Lucina and held tight, not wanting the messy moment to ever end.

The two eventually pulled away from one another, and looked deep into each other’s eyes. “Well, I guess we should start heading back.” Lucina said as she struggled to get up.
Severa looked and saw the rising sun behind Lucina, realizing just how long they had spent together. “Oh, I guess we probably should.” She quickly stood up and helped the still injured warrior to her feet. It was at this moment she noticed the Falchion still sticking out of the ground. “Did you really use the Falchion as a walking stick to find me? Aren’t you worried it’ll be ruined?” She asked as she led Lucina over to it.

Lucina pulled it out of the ground, “It’s fine, I’ll sharpen it later. And even if it was damaged, I would gladly have done it again.” she said, leaning back onto Severa’s shoulders.
“Why? That’s a priceless sword.” Severa said, nodding towards the blade Lucina held in her right hand.
Lucina looked at it, and then back to Severa, saying “Sure, but then I would’ve traded it for something even more priceless.”

~*~

Severa was searching around the family house. She and Lucina were going off on a journey the next day, so she was trying to finish any leftover business. She was poking around one of the old bookshelves when she found what she was looking for. Behind some of her father’s tomes was a tattered, old leather book. It was one she distinctly remembered from her childhood.

“Make Him Fall for You in a Fortnight” she said, reading the title out loud. “What a stupid idea, what idiot falls for someone that fast?” Sitting back in a chair, she cracked it open and started to read it.

‘Baking him pies is a great start, the easiest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.’ I guess that could apply to Lucina too, that woman could eat a bear and still be hungry.” Severa said, chuckling to herself as she turned the page. She was skimming it when something struck her. “Wait, I think I recognize these words, lemme see here. ‘But there’s one thing men seek above all else. Appearance. A voluptuous form will catch their eye and make them fall for you in less than a fortnight.’” Severa sat there, looking at that page. Memories of the past flowed back through her mind. Her mother’s sad face when she saw the book, and how quickly she put back on a happy appearance to not disturb the young Severa.

She must’ve sat there a while, because her mother came in. “Severa what are you doing?” Cordelia asked softly. “Aren’t you setting off early tomorrow?”
“Oh, yes mother.” Severa said, “I was just reminiscing about the past.” She handed the book to her mother, whose cheery eyes immediately went sad upon seeing the book.
“This is the book you’re looking back on for memories?” Cordelia asked incredulously, cordially flipping through a page or two.
“Remember back when I read a page and you were mortified?” Severa asked, a soft smile forming on her face.

Cordelia sighed, “I wish I didn’t, but maybe it was for the better.” She stood up and put the book back on the bookshelf.
Severa leaned forward in her seat and looked at her mom inquisitively. “Why would it be for the better”, she asked.
Cordelia walked over and kneeled down next to Severa, “Because you were able to avoid the biggest failure of my life.”
Severa grinned, “Well, it didn’t stop me from making a lot of other mistakes.”

Cordelia kissed Severa on the forehead. “Come on now little miss ‘Married to the Exalt’, off to bed.”
Severa put on a mock pout, “MOM, she’s not even the exalt yet, and we aren’t married.”
Cordelia chuckled, “Engaged, married, same thing. Either way, one day it’ll be my girl who sits on the throne with her.”

Severa got up and started walking towards her room, as she got to the door she turned around, asking “Hey, what was with that ‘little miss’ comment?”
Cordelia smiled, responding “As long as you’re under this house, you’re still my little girl.”
Severa yawned, and instead of throwing back some joking annoyance, merely nodded and said “Night mom.”
“Night dear” Cordelia said as Severa closed the door.

Laying down on her bed, Severa looked up at the ceiling. She thought back to the night when Lucina finally squeezed a confession out of her. “It was a wonder she stuck around so long for me, but I’m glad she did.” Severa sleepily said to herself. She closed her eyes, resting until the dawn of the new day, when she and Lucina would go out and make the story known to all.

Some Self Reflections:

Hide contents

As I said before, I really enjoyed writing this story. When I saw this prompt, I just felt like writing something about Severa, so I started combing over Ott's entries. For a day an a half I was actually working on another entry based on his "The Sun's Gentle Hands" piece, but I ran into the issue that it was really fucking depressing, and like, I was in the mood for some romance. Then I remembered that there was a piece that focused Lucina and Severa almost exclusively, and found it. Of course, that one also had a sad ending, and I was not having that. I was getting those two the happy ending they deserved.

That aside, writing a sequel piece had some limitations. There was a subplot I wanted to add in about Chrom being iffy about the whole Lucina and Severa hooking up thing, but I decided to cut it since it wasn't really in the original piece. I tried to make it seem like the other half, trying to seamlessly have our entries operate as one, and thusly I tried to keep similar theming throughout. I won't say I was perfect, I don't have the absolute perfect grasp on Severa's character that Ott has, and I kinda made Lucina be a bit more flirty and wiser than she normally is, to better act as a foil to Severa's self-deprecation. And Cordelia I barely knew how to write. I kinda just used my own mom as inspiration at that point, with slight reference to supports for wording choice. Although that line from Cordelia about "As long as you're under this house" was straight from my mom, since it just felt so wholesome.

I also realized halfway through that describing romance is like, really hard. I tried to embody a more innocent sense of love and passion. Not sure how well I succeeded in that, guess I'll find out.

Y’know if I didn’t know any better I swear you snuck into my google docs and finished my own half baked draft of me writing this very thing. I had the same imagery of Severa by the river and everything. In all seriousness though not bad. Not exactly how I personally would’ve gone about it myself but I think this is good. my only complaint is that Severa wasn’t enough of a “tsundere” here. Too much dere not enough tsun and also not enough “idiot” either. But still it was pretty good.