Jump to content
AnonymousSpeed

SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

Recommended Posts

I'm gonna guess you spoke of the idea elsewhere then?

But yeah, I can see why the idea could receive backslash. I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Basically a girl who reads TG/bodyswap fetish stories on DeviantArt gains one magic wish or something like that, then uses it to switch bodies with a boy. When the boy tries to inform others of this problem, everyone simply thinks he's "coming out" so they try to be understanding but ultimately drive him to despair, resulting in him throwing himself in front of a car. The next day, the girl(in the boy's body) sees her own mangled body on the news and sees her tearful parents talking about if only they'd been more understanding and accepting but they didn't know what more to do. She starts having a panic attack, realizing her attempt to live out what she thought was a harmless curiosity resulted in someone's death - technically in her own death speaking from a body perspective - and ultimately ends up killing herself after half-deliriously scrawling "I killed him" on the nearby table. The tragedy of the event is that the people both characters knew ultimately chalk it up to not being "accepting" or "understanding" enough.

It was initially intended to be something of a commentary on the current culture's semi-obsession with Transgender folks, but two issues resulted in me not going ahead with the piece.
First, I ultimately decided that this was in rather poor taste, as simply by virtue of being on the internet my own opinions on that matter are quite unpopular and usually result in people resorting to insults one does not generally say out loud in public. Amazing what a little anonymity can do to people's propriety.
As for the second problem, I can only describe it with this clipped screenshot:

  Reveal hidden contents

pfft.jpeg.00251af475ea2fef969cb81b25a5504a.jpeg

 

This idea is beautiful, but it needs the proper amount of buildup to work, otherwise it falls flat because its too sudden. It would be extremely hard to pull off with a 10,000 word limit.

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But yeah, I can see why the idea could receive backslash. I think.

One should not fear backslash, as it only limits creativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

One should not fear backslash, as it only limits creativity.

Maybe, but that doesn't mean they still won't.

It's clear he's not giving us the entire picture on why not, and perhaps we should respect that. More so since he mentioned it was not friendly to someone who used to be a member here, and that likely factored in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'm gonna guess you spoke of the idea elsewhere then?

No, just my general opinion on the subject of the LGBT community has gotten me in a couple fights before so I figured it would likely apply here as well.

11 hours ago, Maof06 said:

This idea is beautiful, but it needs the proper amount of buildup to work, otherwise it falls flat because its too sudden. It would be extremely hard to pull off with a 10,000 word limit.

Technically the word count limits aren't hard numbers, we've had entries that go under 1k before. So far nobody's broke the 10k barrier because nobody's had anything that could go that long without losing the reader's attention.

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But yeah, I can see why the idea could receive backslash. I think.

11 hours ago, Maof06 said:

One should not fear backslash, as it only limits creativity.

-cue Shulk noises-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

it was not friendly to someone who used to be a member here, and that likely factored in.

Missed this, that was more due to the suicide aspect of it - Anacybele used to star alongside Chloey as a regular source of...entertainment, for lack of a better word, to the rest of us on this thread(read: they fought like an old married couple every second or third round and it was kind of funny to watch). She had a family member commit suicide and it was a tender subject for her so I figured it may be in poor taste regardless of the trans aspect of it. I doubt she'd hear about it now, she got herself banned a while back, but sometimes I try to pretend I care anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2021 at 12:35 AM, Maof06 said:

Congrats!

Are we still going to have a voting phase?

On 4/18/2021 at 12:37 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Likely not? The last time there was a single story submitted, they just got declared winner by default. Then again, it was after the week dedicated to voting passed and there was still only the one entry.

Right. So. I am late and I still don't have a solution. If memory serves, we have precedent for skipping voting phase and for keeping it anyway, which is to say that we have no precedent.

What I'm thinking I'll do is just take what remains of this "voting phase" and add it to the upcoming writing phase. That should afford people some extra time, hopefully increasing participation, as well as keep everything all clockwork. That's not necessarily an advantage but, you know, I like regularity nonetheless.

So yeah. @Acacia Sgt, one prompt please.

23 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Basically

A story with contemporary social commentary where a person is destroyed alongside those around them due to their own warped fetishism and sudden realization that their all-consuming mental fantasy is not actualized by the attempt to materially execute it.

I don't know bruh sounds kind of shallow and like it doesn't have any depth for interpretation prolly good you quit on it.

23 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

The tragedy of the event is that the people both characters knew ultimately chalk it up to not being "accepting" or "understanding" enough.

Yo, you ever heard about the people who take acid and die from overhydration?

23 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

As for the second problem, I can only describe it with this clipped screenshot:

I like this screenshot. It implicates me (Serenes Forest user) horribly but I must nonetheless agree with it.

15 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But yeah, I can see why the idea could receive backslash. I think.

14 hours ago, Maof06 said:

One should not fear backslash, as it only limits creativity.

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

-cue Shulk noises-

I've heard Backslash is a kind of mediocre move, basically the discount way to throw yourself off an edge and die.

Depending on your level of anonymity, your ambient social climate, and probably some other stuff, it could probably have some material consequences for you.

Not that I condone being hindered by such petty trivialities are material consequences.

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Technically the word count limits aren't hard numbers, we've had entries that go under 1k before. So far nobody's broke the 10k barrier because nobody's had anything that could go that long without losing the reader's attention.

Actually it's because no one has managed to write that much without losing the author's attention.

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

She had a family member commit suicide and it was a tender subject for her so I figured it may be in poor taste regardless of the trans aspect of it. I doubt she'd hear about it now, she got herself banned a while back, but sometimes I try to pretend I care anyways.

Pretending to care sounds a little patronizing though, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alrighty then. The prompt is:

"Character A impersonates Character B"

That's it. Anything else is free game. How it happens. Why it happens. If Character B is aware or even in on the ruse or not. If Character A is discovered or not. If they even get to do why they impersonated in the first place or end up derailed. For comedy. For drama. What have you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

"Character A impersonates Character B"

That's it. Anything else is free game. How it happens. Why it happens. If Character B is aware or even in on the ruse or not. If Character A is discovered or not. If they even get to do why they impersonated in the first place or end up derailed. For comedy. For drama. What have you.

Ah, flexibility? Nice.

I actually quite like this prompt- I've already got my entry ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

A story with contemporary social commentary where a person is destroyed alongside those around them due to their own warped fetishism and sudden realization that their all-consuming mental fantasy is not actualized by the attempt to materially execute it.

I don't know bruh sounds kind of shallow and like it doesn't have any depth for interpretation prolly good you quit on it.

I'll be honest, I was kind of thinking of the complaints brought up in The Tartarans - classic writing is classic specifically because it doesn't try to speak to the 'current' world around it.

21 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Pretending to care sounds a little patronizing though, doesn't it?

....eeeeeeeehhhhhhhh...eh. I liked Ana, but for the most part not doing a thing because it'll bother other people sounds like a dumb way to live life. That and I try to make myself out to be as much of a (censored) as possible sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I'll be honest, I was kind of thinking of the complaints brought up in The Tartarans - classic writing is classic specifically because it doesn't try to speak to the 'current' world around it.

Oh nice, people still remember the Tartarans. I'm honestly honored. This reminds me that I got to get around to the sequel, featuring Tantalus. It would have continued that sort of dialogue by bringing up Cleon.

38 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

....eeeeeeeehhhhhhhh...eh. I liked Ana, but for the most part not doing a thing because it'll bother other people sounds like a dumb way to live life.

It very well may be a dumb way to live, but I think it's only fair to be honest about thinking so.

38 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

That and I try to make myself out to be as much of a (censored) as possible sometimes.

You should probably work on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

This has existed for a total of one week and I am very upset I did not learn about it sooner.

To horny jail with you!

I'm still mad they didn't put in Gyro Man.

On a semi-separate note, I actually have a Mega Man story in the works for this round, assuming I can hammer out the rest over the next few days.

On 4/20/2021 at 2:08 AM, TheSilentChloey said:

I could go scary places with this prompt...

Did you decide if you were gonna do that or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

To horny jail with you!

I'm still mad they didn't put in Gyro Man.

On a semi-separate note, I actually have a Mega Man story in the works for this round, assuming I can hammer out the rest over the next few days.

Did you decide if you were gonna do that or not?

I very well could but I haven't been able to fit it in.  Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp.

I ended up not finishing that Mega Man story. I worked on it for a good bit but near the end I realized it would probably have been better to give it a rewrite and perhaps split it into two separate stories.

That means another round with no entries, so, you know, probably gonna close up shop.

Good job boys and girls, we had a good run. This revival lasted for nearly three years and produced literally hundreds of short stories, so I'd say that was all worth it.

I'll consider starting up a general "writing workshop" thread, no deadlines or prompts, just a place to share stories and get feedback, discuss general narrative technique, etc. Undoubtedly it will dissolves into a flame war over moral philosophy but that will at least add some vitalism to it.

Anyway.

Been good friends. Stay safe, stay healthy, have a happy Mother's Day, and God bless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How unfortunate it came to this, but I guess we knew that already, sadly. I kinda wanted to write a non-participating entry for this now last prompt (it was my prompt after all). Didn't got to write much of it, though. It was going to be a Pokémon fic, revolving around a Zoroark and a Pokémon Coordinator/Performer (hadn't fully decided over which to go, but the point it was definitely not a battling Trainer). Oh well.

A general writing thread for discussion and showcase would certainly be interesting. *readies bludgeoning mace for the inevitable 'discussions'*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A general writing thread for discussion and showcase would certainly be interesting. *readies bludgeoning mace for the inevitable 'discussions'*

Hm, maybe put that mace away. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the "Written Works" subforum already sort of fulfills that purpose. You write something, post it for people to read and critique, and if you're lucky two people will give you a one-sentence review. There's nothing really stopping you from having more general discussions about writing here either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luck indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a less than stellar time of things so, sorry I haven't been posting in general.

 

Sad to see this end but I guess we kinda knew it was going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Sad to see this end but I guess we kinda knew it was going to happen.

Don't worry about it. We might restart this at a later point, but I think at this point what we all need is a break, especially if anyone is having a "less than stellar" phase. Besides, absence will let any interest in continuing fester until it becomes actionable enough for there to be more active participation.

20 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Luck indeed.

It's weird kind of luck but I guess it saves effort? I don't know. A "short story" thread could still have some use, to keep things separate from all the serial narratives people start here.

Since we have "finished" Competition II, I figured I'd update that excel sheet and give everyone an overview of average performance across these past 33 months or so.

unknown.png?width=1343&height=475

"Actual Win Rate" is the percentage of all rounds you won, while plain ol' "Win Rate" is the percentage of rounds you entered and won.

  • Note that since not every round had an entry, the sum of all "Actual Win Rate" values is still less than one.
  • Also note that, of course, not everyone who submitted an entry is included in these charts. They are, however, in my excel sheet.

I would again like to give shout-outs for Chloe's utterly absurd participation rate, but at the same time it emphasizes how things have been slowing down. Even she's been missing rounds lately. Then you have Anacybele getting banned, Shob getting a child, a lot of our more consistent participants have just not been available.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Don't worry about it. We might restart this at a later point, but I think at this point what we all need is a break, especially if anyone is having a "less than stellar" phase. Besides, absence will let any interest in continuing fester until it becomes actionable enough for there to be more active participation.

It's weird kind of luck but I guess it saves effort? I don't know. A "short story" thread could still have some use, to keep things separate from all the serial narratives people start here.

Since we have "finished" Competition II, I figured I'd update that excel sheet and give everyone an overview of average performance across these past 33 months or so.

unknown.png?width=1343&height=475

"Actual Win Rate" is the percentage of all rounds you won, while plain ol' "Win Rate" is the percentage of rounds you entered and won.

  • Note that since not every round had an entry, the sum of all "Actual Win Rate" values is still less than one.
  • Also note that, of course, not everyone who submitted an entry is included in these charts. They are, however, in my excel sheet.

I would again like to give shout-outs for Chloe's utterly absurd participation rate, but at the same time it emphasizes how things have been slowing down. Even she's been missing rounds lately. Then you have Anacybele getting banned, Shob getting a child, a lot of our more consistent participants have just not been available.

Damn those are some insane stats!  I didn't realise it was uh...that scary lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, sorry I wasn't more involved in the most recent rounds. I did check the prompts semi frequently, but nothing ever struck with easy inspiration. And insofar as just forcing myself to write in general, I've been having a hard time even on my personal projects.  Kind of feel bad that I didn't contribute at least a little more frequently to help keep the thing afloat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2021 at 1:11 PM, AnonymousSpeed said:

.

unknown.png?width=1343&height=475

 

Wait, I participated three times? Zoinks, don't remember that.

And 7% participation rate! Victory!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...