SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

I'm honestly surprised this one is so lopsided. I expected it would be a little more even.

There's no way either Chloey nor I would catch up, so what choice do I have but to cede?

I have to admit though, I'm disappointed in the lopsidedness and the lack of feedback... But I shouldn't care too much, I was highly considering not entering anymore anyway since one-shots do not seem to be something I can do properly given how often I get complaints about things like length and such. I cannot change that sort of thing.

And @AnonymousSpeed Dcat has nothing to do with this round... She didn't enter.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I'm honestly surprised this one is so lopsided. I expected it would be a little more even.

There's no way either Chloey nor I would catch up, so what choice do I have but to cede?

I have to admit though, I'm disappointed in the lopsidedness and the lack of feedback... But I shouldn't care too much, I was highly considering not entering anymore anyway since one-shots do not seem to be something I can do properly given how often I get complaints about things like length and such. I cannot change that sort of thing.

I mean, in all honesty Ana, your kind of writing style got especially shafted this round, what with quarantimes and all - funny/memes are kind of what we need most right now to keep us sane. You do good stuff, it's just...I think DCat already described it, your stuff mainly feels like part of a greater whole, it's something I've also struggled with because I also like to use my OCs, which are necessarily part of overarching plotlines and story concepts. Pretty sure the only time using a pre-existing OC worked for me was the villain prompt, and that was mostly because that was like one of maybe three rounds specialized towards that style of story. I'm happy to go back and look at yours again tomorrow if you like, but right now I'm trying to obtain 1 million gold because I haven't had enough AQW in my life the past week.

Edited by SoulWeaver

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I mean, in all honesty Ana, your kind of writing style got especially shafted this round, what with quarantimes and all - funny/memes are kind of what we need most right now. You do good stuff, it's just...I think DCat already described it, your stuff mainly feels like part of a greater whole, it's something I've also struggled with because I also like to use my OCs, which are necessarily part of overarching plotlines and story concepts. Pretty sure the only time using a pre-existing OC worked for me was the villain prompt, and that was mostly because that was like one of maybe three rounds specialized towards that style of story.

And that's probably because the characters I use do come from a larger overall story. And I don't see why this is so awful, especially since the pieces I'm writing typically don't actually take place during said story, but either before or after. It's advantageous because then I don't have to create brand new characters and settings every single round which would be really difficult and tedious to do. I also don't really do memes or pieces that are entirely comedy since I don't care for them and I wouldn't really know how to write one of those anyway (this does sound kind of ironic given that I find Mr. Comedic Knight Judo fun to write, though, I admit). I also did put in a few funny moments in my piece this round, or at least I tried (with the bits about Azura's teasing Bryan). But I guess my sense of humor is rather different from others'. I often laugh at things nobody else does and vice versa.

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I am goof I meant @TheSilentChloey I am very sorry.

7 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Pretty sure the only time using a pre-existing OC worked for me was the villain prompt

Oh, did you actually kill off an important character in a prompt-based story?

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

3 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

So does anyone else want to see what I suggested up there?

I wouldn’t mind tbh

Also @SoulWeaver and @Anacybele it is entirely possible to write a deeper, engaging, and more nuanced story in a one shot. It’s something I try to do at the very least and I like to think I found some modicum of success. Really it’s all about the idea the story centers around. I find it best to hyper focus one idea or character when it comes to writing one shots rather than spreading yourself thin with multiple characters, subplots, and other details that would require too much information to understand. Just my two cents on the matter

Edited by Ottservia

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And that's probably because the characters I use do come from a larger overall story. And I don't see why this is so awful, especially since the pieces I'm writing typically don't actually take place during said story, but either before or after. It's advantageous because then I don't have to create brand new characters and settings every single round which would be really difficult and tedious to do. I also don't really do memes or pieces that are entirely comedy since I don't care for them and I wouldn't really know how to write one of those anyway (this does sound kind of ironic given that I find Mr. Comedic Knight Judo fun to write, though, I admit). I also did put in a few funny moments in my piece this round, or at least I tried (with the bits about Azura's teasing Bryan). But I guess my sense of humor is rather different from others'. I often laugh at things nobody else does and vice versa.

It's not awful, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to appeal to people. It drove me up the wall and still does, but on the other hand it forced me to try something other than that because of how badly I wanted to pick the prompt - even now I have a list of seven prompt ideas and I REALLY wanna see what you guys do with them, so I gotta try to get something that appeals to the audience together so I can do that. It kind of depends on how attached you are to the competition. In the meantime, I forgot I found this on the FEH Reddit, thought of your profile pic and laughed. Maybe you just find it weird, but meh, memes are like that.

12 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Also @SoulWeaver and @Anacybele it is entirely possible to write a deeper, engaging, and more nuanced story in a one shot. It’s something I try to do at the very least and I like to think I found some modicum of success. Really it’s all about the idea the story centers around. I find it best to hyper focus one idea or character when it comes to writing one shots rather than spreading yourself thin with multiple characters, subplots, and other details that would require too much information to understand. Just my two cents on the matter

Oh, I agree. It's just something I can't do. I've tried already.

6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

It's not awful, but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to appeal to people. It drove me up the wall and still does, but on the other hand it forced me to try something other than that because of how badly I wanted to pick the prompt - even now I have a list of seven prompt ideas and I REALLY wanna see what you guys do with them, so I gotta try to get something that appeals to the audience together so I can do that. It kind of depends on how attached you are to the competition. In the meantime, I forgot I found this on the FEH Reddit, thought of your profile pic and laughed. Maybe you just find it weird, but meh, memes are like that.

And I don't understand why it wouldn't appeal to people. And I see, that's understandable. As for that Sylvain thing, I've seen it too and it made me laugh. lol

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I agree. It's just something I can't do. I've tried already.

Oh enough of that “I can’t” talk. You can do it and you have done so successfully. You’re better than you give yourself credit for so don’t give up as corny as it sounds 

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And I don't understand why it wouldn't appeal to people. And I see, that's understandable. As for that Sylvain thing, I've seen it too and it made me laugh. lol

Everyone has different tastes.  I haven't read any of the stories, so I can't really help beyond that.  Sorry.

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Oh enough of that “I can’t” talk. You can do it and you have done so successfully. You’re better than you give yourself credit for so don’t give up as corny as it sounds 

Just because I won a couple rounds before doesn't mean I'm successful. I struggle more often than not, especially since I consistently get very few or no votes. Also, different people excel at different things or at different areas of the same thing. No one person is going to be good at all of it.

2 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Everyone has different tastes.  I haven't read any of the stories, so I can't really help beyond that.  Sorry.

Sure, but for absolutely no one to find using pre-existing OCs appealing? I just don't understand it.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sure, but for absolutely no one to find using pre-existing OCs appealing? I just don't understand it.

I don't understand the appeal, so I guess we're equal.  Simply put, different tastes.

25 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Oh, did you actually kill off an important character in a prompt-based story?

Nah, that round was BEHOLD A CONCEPT. Subject 23 was a pre-existing character by the name of Necra, I just decided I'd begin a backstory for her and the prompt allowed me to do that while also mixing things up.

17 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I wouldn’t mind tbh

Of course, that's how From the Devil For the Devil took the Sympathy For The Devil round. I just haven't quite mastered using pre-existing OCs for that.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Depends on the person. Personally I enjoy pre-existing OCs, but I'm still not acquainted enough with yours to have real attachment to them, so there's my problem, plus I have so much stuff I'm trying to do I haven't really had time to look into your AU...plus the concept of Link having a child slightly unnerves me.

Just because I won a couple rounds before doesn't mean I'm successful. I struggle more often than not, especially since I consistently get very few or no votes.

Now you’re starting to sound like me and that’s something I can’t allow for. Again as Corny as it may sound just believe in yourself and your ability. People may come around they may not. Sometimes you really just gotta dig into what people say you do right and what you do wrong and reflect on that. Really try to get at the heart of the issue. I just hate to see you down playing your own achievements like this. I understand that feeling and the pit you dig yourself into all too well and I don’t wish that feeling upon anyone else. 

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Nah, that round was BEHOLD A CONCEPT. Subject 23 was a pre-existing character by the name of Necra, I just decided I'd begin a backstory for her and the prompt allowed me to do that while also mixing things up.

That was the story for the "new villain" prompt, though. I was actually thinking of Jalen.

17 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Depends on the person. Personally I enjoy pre-existing OCs, but I'm still not acquainted enough with yours to have real attachment to them, so there's my problem, plus I have so much stuff I'm trying to do I haven't really had time to look into your AU...plus the concept of Link having a child slightly unnerves me.

I see. Hopefully in time you can become a little more acquainted with them. As for Link having a child, well, OoT Link, which is the Link I use in my writing, did have one at some point though. TP Link is descended from him and I doubt he had any siblings. Now as for how TP Link could also be descended from OoT Zelda and thus the royal family and end up all the way in Ordon, well, crazy stuff can happen. He is not from there anyway since he has pointed ears while the actual Ordonians do not. He is from Hyrule proper.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

That was the story for the "new villain" prompt, though. I was actually thinking of Jalen.

Precisely why it ended up being a mix-up - Necra was supposed to break out and beat both Jalen and Roul to an inch of their lives, I had a scene idea where Jalen snapped her neck and she got back up to showcase what a frightening character she can be, but then suddenly the Thunderbird appeared and stole the 'new villain' title to even my surprise. Necra was actually the only one of the five named characters(the four plus Melani) who existed beforehand - she later appears within my own pre-existing work in a much more mentally-unstable state - all the others were created for the piece.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see. Hopefully in time you can become a little more acquainted with them. As for Link having a child, well, OoT Link, which is the Link I use in my writing, did have one at some point though. TP Link is descended from him and I doubt he had any siblings. Now as for how TP Link could also be descended from Zelda and thus the royal family and end up all the way in Ordon, well, crazy stuff can happen. He is not from there anyway since he has pointed ears while the actual Ordonians do not. He is from Hyrule proper.

Yeah, I think Link To The Past Link and Zelda got together in the end too, I seem to remember reading Link Between Worlds Link is confirmed as their descendant, but it's something that I think few Zelda fans really think about.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

Yeah, I think Link To The Past Link and Zelda got together in the end too, I seem to remember reading Link Between Worlds Link is confirmed as their descendant, but it's something that I think few Zelda fans really think about.

I haven't heard this before. Where did you hear it?

20 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Now you’re starting to sound like me and that’s something I can’t allow for. Again as Corny as it may sound just believe in yourself and your ability. People may come around they may not. Sometimes you really just gotta dig into what people say you do right and what you do wrong and reflect on that. Really try to get at the heart of the issue. I just hate to see you down playing your own achievements like this. I understand that feeling and the pit you dig yourself into all too well and I don’t wish that feeling upon anyone else. 

Oh, I forgot to reply to this. I appreciate you not wanting me to give up and thinking I shouldn't. But I've tried to "dig into" what people say I do right and wrong in this case and I could not change much, if anything. Some things I can and will certainly improve on, but not everything. It's just good to know when to throw in the towel since like I said, no one will be good at everything.

8 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Precisely why it ended up being a mix-up - Necra was supposed to break out and beat both Jalen and Roul to an inch of their lives, I had a scene idea where Jalen snapped her neck and she got back up to showcase what a frightening character she can be, but then suddenly the Thunderbird appeared and stole the 'new villain' title to even my surprise. Necra was actually the only one of the five named characters(the four plus Melani) who existed beforehand - she later appears within my own pre-existing work in a much more mentally-unstable state - all the others were created for the piece.

Damn son, you really did Roul's boy Jalen dirty there.

I haven't heard this before. Where did you hear it?

Shoot, I can't find it. I thought it was on the gamepedia site, but I may be wrong. I'll check again tomorrow, it's close on midnight so I'm calling it quits for tonight.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Damn son, you really did Roul's boy Jalen dirty there.

I still feel bad about that, actually.

Just now, SoulWeaver said:

Shoot, I can't find it. I thought it was on the gamepedia site, but I may be wrong. I'll check again tomorrow, it's close on midnight so I'm calling it quits for tonight.

Oh, well, that's fine. No worries, really. I'm doing the same myself here in a bit.

I'm pretty sure most authors are hit-or-miss. I mean, I haven't written something I actually liked in about six years. My biggest problem for writing is that I talk myself down a lot. Things I would never say to another person, but I have no problems saying it to me. But I do know that if I stop, I'm not going to get better.

Also, I might be weird, but whenever I'm writing a one-shot story, I intentionally start writing before I can get a good idea of what I want it to be like so I don't get caught up in the details; I just make it up on the fly. That's probably why 98% of my stories make no sense or have at least one part that is taking major logic leaps, but for things I have more time to develop, I can go back and fix them. I'm working on (kinda) writing a novel that I'm 249 pages into, and I've been that far since last summer because I've been trying to edit the whole thing by making it exactly as I wanted it to be before actually blurting it out on paper.

TL;DR, I'd suggest keeping a fairly vague idea before writing. My few good characters started that way and got characterization as my brain came up with it.

...You know, I have no idea why I wrote that paragraph since it is totally irrelevant to the conversation, but I already wrote it.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I forgot to reply to this. I appreciate you not wanting me to give up and thinking I shouldn't. But I've tried to "dig into" what people say I do right and wrong in this case and I could not change much, if anything. Some things I can and will certainly improve on, but not everything. It's just good to know when to throw in the towel since like I said, no one will be good at everything.

Something I've discovered is that a game or story, or really anything, can have many flaws and still be amazing. The Binding Blade is not a perfect game, but it's my favorite. There's plenty of things I dislike about it, but I still love it; similarly, something can have few flaws and be not amazing; Radiant Dawn is a game which, in my opinion, has very very few flaws. However, it is still my third favorite FE after Sacred stones and Binding blade, despite the latter two having far more flaws. The fact that your stories have flaws doesn't make them bad, nor does having flaws make anybody bad.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

In the Link to the Past manga, I'm pretty sure Zelda and Link are an item. However, it's the opposite of canon, so I don't know if that means anything.

I also have discovered that it is possible to dump Zelda in favor of the item check girl in Skyward Sword.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Something I've discovered is that a game or story, or really anything, can have many flaws and still be amazing. The Binding Blade is not a perfect game, but it's my favorite. There's plenty of things I dislike about it, but I still love it; similarly, something can have few flaws and be not amazing; Radiant Dawn is a game which, in my opinion, has very very few flaws. However, it is still my third favorite FE after Sacred stones and Binding blade, despite the latter two having far more flaws. The fact that your stories have flaws doesn't make them bad, nor does having flaws make anybody bad.

Yeah, but the problem is that I seem to get the same flaw over and over again and no matter how much I try to get rid of that flaw, I haven't been able to do it. And of course, there's the lack of votes I generally get. I'm always glad to get one vote at all when I do, but I rarely get more than one or any at all.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, but the problem is that I seem to get the same flaw over and over again and no matter how much I try to get rid of that flaw, I haven't been able to do it. And of course, there's the lack of votes I generally get. I'm always glad to get one vote at all when I do, but I rarely get more than one or any at all.

IIRC you've only not had a vote once since I joined in october. That's not a bad track record. I get the vibes about feeling unsuccessful despite actually having attained some success, but give yourself some credit.

And yeah, getting rid of things like word count can be tough. Getting out of your comfort zone often trips people up. People have probably said this before, but just try setting a word limit per paragraph/every five/six sentences-it's a good way to keep things concise but still keep thinks broken down so it doesn't feel overwhelming. It doesn't have to be a really low word count, but it can help write in a more compact manner. Eventually you can lower the word count as you grow more accustomed to it.

Anyhoo, turning in now. Bye!