Theoretical Radiant Dawn Remake Changes

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Laura's growth's are fine. The problem is that she's stuck with staves for the entirety of her first tier, and thus, can only get a measly 11 EXP every turn (unlike your combat units). 

The run I'm doing right now raised her. I literally broke Wystan's Fire tome and a generic archer's Steel Bow grinding EXP to get her to level ~14, (on top of BEXPing her up to 99EXP between all maps).

Innate Paragon is probably closer to a 'true' solution here, in addition to bumping up Heal/Mend EXP in the first place.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, something just occurred to me. How WOULD Daein react if they had found out that not only is Pelleas not Ashnard's son, but also had evidence to suggest to reveal that Micaiah was a Branded? 

Daein is still a rather strong racist nation. Branded having laguz blood in them would make Micaiah, and Pelleas not being blood tied to Ashnard, means that the two most noteworthy successors to Daein's throne would lose all power and Micaiah would even be persecuted. Without a leader to rally around, the citizens of Daein would fall into chaos. 

1 hour ago, bethany81707 said:

The run I'm doing right now raised her. I literally broke Wystan's Fire tome and a generic archer's Steel Bow grinding EXP to get her to level ~14, (on top of BEXPing her up to 99EXP between all maps).

Innate Paragon is probably closer to a 'true' solution here, in addition to bumping up Heal/Mend EXP in the first place.

Obviously stuffing her full of BEXP and Boss abuse will work, but that will work for any unit.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Obviously stuffing her full of BEXP and Boss abuse will work, but that will work for any unit.

That was my workaround, and my suggestion is on how to make it not a requirement to use Laura. (Additional suggestion: raise her caps.)

On another note, either expand the endgame party or allow the player to do some of the zombie endurance challenge with the units they didn't bring to the Tower. You have too big a party to fairly pare it down to ten, plus Micaiah's favourites.

Support conversations should absolutely be added. Even if they want to leave the possibility to have any character support any other possible they should at least write dialogues for characters who are close. They don't have to write a dialogue between Aran and Calill, for example, but Micaiah and Sothe really should have one, and so on.

They should also expand the backstories of the characters introduced in RD, such as Vika, Heather, Lyre, Kyza... We know almost nothing about them.

They also should fix Elincia's character in part 2. The change in her personality is too sudden, it doesn't feel like a growth. She spends the first three chapters in part 2 crying because she doesn't want to be queen and doesn't want a civil war to start in Crimea. Then, in the last chapter, she suddenly decides to sacrifice Lucia and eradicate all the remaining rebels. They should have shown how Elincia decided to change her aptitude. A character like her, which hates violence, surely thought a lot about the consequences and the morality of her actions before doing anything. Yet they showed us none of this. If they showed us how Elincia slowly started to accept that she had to resort to violence to protect her kingdom, even if reluctant at the beginning, it would have been way better both for the story and for her character. I wish she also had the occasion to discuss how to be a good queen with some of the other royals to help her grow up instead of pouring over about what to do all alone. All of the other kings are less sentimental and more resolute, such a confrontation would have been very interesting.

Another little thing: don't make Pelleas that dumb. Him trusting Izuka is very likely considering his personality. But how couldn't he get suspicious when he had to sign a pact with his blood?

5 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

They also should fix Elincia's character in part 2. The change in her personality is too sudden, it doesn't feel like a growth. She spends the first three chapters in part 2 crying because she doesn't want to be queen and doesn't want a civil war to start in Crimea. Then, in the last chapter, she suddenly decides to sacrifice Lucia and eradicate all the remaining rebels. They should have shown how Elincia decided to change her aptitude. A character like her, which hates violence, surely thought a lot about the consequences and the morality of her actions before doing anything. Yet they showed us none of this. If they showed us how Elincia slowly started to accept that she had to resort to violence to protect her kingdom, even if reluctant at the beginning, it would have been way better both for the story and for her character. I wish she also had the occasion to discuss how to be a good queen with some of the other royals to help her grow up instead of pouring over about what to do all alone. All of the other kings are less sentimental and more resolute, such a confrontation would have been very interesting.

It MIGHT seem a bit out of nowhere, but I think that last conversation with Ludvek more or less was what pushed Elincia to make that decision. She has seen how the rebellions were coming and she wanted the fighting to end, but Ludvek kept pushing her, and even when she defeated him, he resorted to trying to force her to stand down, preying on her weakness. By then, Elincia realized that she cannot afford to be weak, and has to make a hard decision.

7 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

Another little thing: don't make Pelleas that dumb. Him trusting Izuka is very likely considering his personality. But how couldn't he get suspicious when he had to sign a pact with his blood?

I agree with this. You'd think that Pelleas, having performed pact with spirits, and even knows dark magic, would be aware that writing something in blood seems almost the thing that is bad news.

14 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

Ditto. I mean, he just comes off as the second coming of Eirika (who herself makes Ash look like a genius). FFS, if a blood signature is needed, that should be a massive red flag...

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:
2 hours ago, Yukiko said:

It MIGHT seem a bit out of nowhere, but I think that last conversation with Ludvek more or less was what pushed Elincia to make that decision. She has seen how the rebellions were coming and she wanted the fighting to end, but Ludvek kept pushing her, and even when she defeated him, he resorted to trying to force her to stand down, preying on her weakness. By then, Elincia realized that she cannot afford to be weak, and has to make a hard decision.

I know but that scene still doesn't convince me completely. Even when she talks to Ludveck, her decision still seems sudden. I mean, her decision is right, but she changed her idea of how a good king/queen should behave in such a short time... I feel that if they showed us a bit more what Elincia thought when she decided to react, with some extra dialogue before the final battle of part 2 the decision surely wouldn't seem that sudden... I think the dialogue before that battle is a bit rushed...

2 minutes ago, Yukiko said:

I know but that scene still doesn't convince me completely. Even when she talks to Ludveck, her decision still seems sudden. I mean, her decision is right, but she changed her idea of how a good king/queen should behave in such a short time... I feel that if they showed us a bit more what Elincia thought when she decided to react, with some extra dialogue before the final battle of part 2 the decision surely wouldn't seem that sudden... I think the dialogue before that battle is a bit rushed...

You mean the pacing, thus allowing Elincia to struggle a bit more, like it builds up to how she needs to make a drastic decision that will be hard on her, but it has to be done for the greater good. 

2 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

You mean the pacing, thus allowing Elincia to struggle a bit more, like it builds up to how she needs to make a drastic decision that will be hard on her, but it has to be done for the greater good. 

Yes. That's what I wanted to see.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:38 PM, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

The first change I'd make is to give her access to dark tomes as well as light tomes. After all it's not like we're swamped with dark tome users so it might help! (For that matter the whole second playthrough stuff would be removed and added into the first playthrough because it makes no sense that saving Pelleas and *boss character* is restricted to a second playthrough). I'd also give her an endgame prf tome that is better than Thani. As for her stat line I'd do one of two things: either majorly buff her speed or give her Thani tome a brave weapon effect. Personally I think those changes would help Micaiah massively, especially buffing her speed, which would essentially turn her into a glass cannon nuke, eliminating the complaints about her gameplay. Now the DB. Leonardo needs something done with his stat line so he's better than a below average chipper. Nolan could stand a buff to his defense, Aran as well, in order to give them some more front liners.

How in the seven hells would giving Micaiah access to dark magic help when dark magic isn't that good??? I'll grant, we don't have many dark magic users (only two, and they both require a replay), but still, Balberith is completely useless thanks to having laughable accuracy relative to the other SS tomes, and not being nearly powerful enough to make up for it, and worse yet, I believe that dark magic access would hurt her more than it helps. When you say Aran needs a buff to his defense, do you mean his base?

As for gameplay changes, I'd like Tormod and friends to either get some more play time or get auto-leveled to the point that they can actually stand up to part 4 enemies (well, Muarim might not really need the help since he's still usable then, but boy, Tormod and Vika need the help...). I'd also like non-royal laguz to actually be made usable, since about the only worthwhile ones for long-term use are the ones that start out good.

Edited by Shadow Mir

21 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

How in the seven hells would giving Micaiah access to dark magic help when dark magic isn't that good??? I'll grant, we don't have many dark magic users (only two, and they both require a replay), but still, Balberith is completely useless thanks to having laughable accuracy relative to the other SS tomes, and not being nearly powerful enough to make up for it, and worse yet, I believe that dark magic access would hurt her more than it helps. When you say Aran needs a buff to his defense, do you mean his base?

Probably is more about giving Micaiah more WTA against the mages instead of being perpetually in disadvantage unless she is fighting Numida/Lekain.

And yeah, his defense is the thing that would benefit from having a boost. Aran feels a bit too weak to be this slow despite having stupid defense growth.

3 hours ago, Troykv said:

Probably is more about giving Micaiah more WTA against the mages instead of being perpetually in disadvantage unless she is fighting Numida/Lekain.

Which means nothing in practice because enemy mages struggle to do any real damage to her anyhow.

• 1 month later...

1: Add support conversations for special pairs

2: Extended script in English

3: Add some Dawn Brigade gaiden chapters to fix their XP curve. 1-4X (and give them a defensively bulky unit without the catches their other ones have) and somewhere before 3-12 would be the ideal places in story.

4: Meg is now a Sword Knight with a unique skill called Farm Horse that reduces mounted terrain movement penalties and drops the indoor move change to -1. It can only be applied to horse cavalry.

5: Fiona doesn't suck.

6: Mist's special sword does damage based on her magic

7: Auto-level units who spend a long time off-screen like FE8 did with the other lord.

I'd be happy if they only added support conversations and made the gameplay a bit faster.

That said, having a few less Greil Mercs chapters and a few more Dawn Brigade chapters would be a good idea. Auto leveling units that disappear for a while could be nice. I believe the blood contract actually can work when written in better (make players know it exists before it becomes a major plotpoint for instance). I don't care that bad units exist, I like the challenge and below hard mode BExp can save anyone. Speaking of hard mode give us the weapon triangle back.

Oh, and mastery skills are absolutely broken, pls fix.

• 2 months later...

My two favourite games. Both have their flaws, but they don’t have the same flaws for the most part. My favourite part about these games is that the story is the focus. No mycastle, no reclassing, no weird waifu bs. I’d want to keep the spirit of the games the same.

POR needs improved models like the ones in radiant dawn. Some other minor gameplay tweaks like skill reassignment, staff and laguz counterattacks, and automatic occults upon classing up (not tied to this one). Paladins need a slight nerf so that non-mounts are viable.  Laguz were usable in this game, but could use a bit of tweaking. A couple more supports to finish some loops, but I liked how supports were limited. A couple new maps at the end during either the Daein or Crimea battles would give some late game players a little more useability.

From a gameplay mechanics perspective radiant dawn might be the best in the series. Support system needs to be made to mirror path of radiance because the one sentence supports are trash. Story is pretty good, but will need to be lengthened to compensate for it’s major issues. And boy does it have issues. It’s hard to do much more than be a couple levels into promotion, which puts you in a tough spot for part 3. Too many prepromotes who disappear for most of the game and then come back shitty. Every dawn brigade member save maybe Nolan is the worst unit in their class. Almost all part 2 characters are unuseable due to availability issues. Part 3 dawn brigade is awful but GM is pretty good. Ike’s team might even be too good since he they can almost all solo every map. Part 4 suffers from the fact that many characters weren’t set up right with availability in previous parts. It also becomes hard to turn down all the insane units thrown at you (laguz kings). For such a long game it seems stupid to say, but it really needs another 15-20 chapters in the middle to properly handle the two/three stories going on and the number of characters. Also 3-13 archer should be recruitable.

My personal add would be to put another 3-4 chapters in part 1, with more of a focus at the beginning so that you get to know the new characters better, 3-4 chapters in part 2 (a couple of Ike in Gallia as in the next paragraph, and a couple to build Elincia's character arc better), and have another 10ish chapters in part 3 that revolve around elincia looking for the Apostle in Beignon which the empire is distracted by Ike. This could have her and a small group of crimean knights sneaking around beignon (disguised as mercenaries) looking for her. She could run into Tormod while there. Maybe have some skirmishes with Daein and small time senators before freeing Sanaki. Then she has to race back to be queen because Valtome is advancing into Crimea. She and the royal knights race back to protect random village from the Marauders map, then she races to lay down her sword to buy time for Sanaki to arrive. So basically everything else can be the same.

I'd also like a little more screen time for Ike's group, since the game's story basically relies on POR. Without POR it's just Zihark's and Jill's showing up with virtually no backstory. People complain about the Ike show, but he is the most popular lord for a reason. Give the people what they want. Maybe give him a place to be during the civil war. Ike is too impulsive to just sit by as the kingdom is killing eachother. Maybe he is in Gallia caught up in the buildup to the Laguz Alliance war.

Edited by MiaMain

• 5 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 4:40 PM, omegaxis1 said:

Actually, another thing to change. The entire way the goddesses were handled in Part 4. 

Look, as nice as it was to have an actual goddess rather than a godlike dragon, the goddess was inconsistent as hell.

• Fires a judgment beam once at full power, and fails to get everyone. Cannot fire smaller ones against the smaller targets for some reason. 
  • No real rule about who is spared from the petrification. Freaking Tormod and Izuka avoided it.
  • Ashera somehow feels the need to expend more energy by de-petrifying a lot of people, then blessing them all, which, minor or not, must cost a lot of energy when added up, rather than, you know, just sending Dheginsea or Lehran at them when they have literally no chance to fight back.
  • Expends more energy to constantly bring the dead back over and over.

After a while, you begin to wonder if Ashera even WANTS to actually end all life and start over by making so many stupid decisions. 

Or the case of Ashunera in how she has the power to create the land and life itself from nothing. And yet, she cannot restore the dead to life. And even though she flooded the world, she never bothered to unflood it. 

I... would change this a lot. 

This is my biggest issue with RD, is how they ended the game's plot. Don't get me wrong, the scenarios make for my favorite game in terms of gameplay, but the plot feels way too vast to be constrained to one title. It won't happen, but I'd like to see a change where Ellincia's story is expanded, separated out from the Dawn Brigade + Greil arc, and made into a Thracia 776 style side game for the Tellius series, so that in the RD remake, she's there similar to the way Leif is in FE4. Juuuuuust my thoughts. I believe this could free up some clutter with which to provide a more proper ending for RD.

I think the concept of making God angry with humanity for their wholesale slaughter is a great plot device, but even as puppets, siding with the more bloodthirsty nobles, who God should know, are the main culprits of the war, is a major inconsistency.

I would resolve the conflict concerning the corrupted Begnion aristocracy, and as part of that story solution, I'd gather the guts needed to kill off a lot more characters heading into the endgame. Making it so that you kill off some of your own units that you battle, but also including this as a requirement to progress through the story, could help in resolving a lot of these troubles. Eventually, Micaiah and Ike would need to reconcile, which would also mean that the blood pact would have to be ended. This would require a retcon to make the blood pact weaker or more conditional, or you would just require someone to assassinate Izuka as a part of the game. Since Volke is already trying to do this... I think making it a Part 3 mission to snuff out Izuka could be a viable solution, and may make for a fun scenario too.

Once you break the blood pact, you now can change a lot of the story regarding the ending, and I'd go back to the idea that God is angry with humanity for their violence, but have this manifest in the form of apocalyptic calamities, and brutal conditions as the unified armies of Crimea and Daein work to destroy the corrupt aristocracy of Begnion. This is opposed to the clusterfuck we got in the form of the "weak human stone judgement beam" and "the bad guys are now Ashera's puppet crusaders" scenario.  

After defeating Sephiran / Lekain / whoever the fuck, you could have the victorious player characters contend with judgement from Ashera directly. Here, you could also introduce Yune, not as a protagonist, but simply as the avatar of chaos, who helps the player not because she wants to restore balance, but because she is chaotic and enjoys causing conflict. The players can utilize Yune to fight Ashera in the early going, but this would ultimately require beating both Ashera and Yune as separate entities, in order to weaken them both for some magical bullshit to restore order, as Ashunera comes back. I'd either figure out a way to make the gods fight each other, and have a three way break out (plot wise, I'm much more interested in this, than in the game mechanics). That would likely be an anti climactic final boss fight, so I'd settle for a multi phase boss battle where you fight two archangels representing Ashera and Yune, then subsequently fighting both gods simultaneously, or something like that.

A lot of what I'm going for, is undoing a lot of the bullshit plot magic, deus ex machinas, and unnecessary stories that mar the resolution of the main conflict. I don't think the plot will ever change that drastically in a remake, but I can dream.

Mind you, this is my favorite game in the series, I may appear to be poking a bunch of holes in the plot, but honestly I'm just thinking of how I'd make the game cooler.

Edited by A Bard Named Wilhelm
changing formatting / expanding upon what I wrote from my phone

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, Von Ithipathachai said:

I haven't really played the Tellius games, so all I can ask for now is to make Meg better.

She would have made the perfect Pegasus Knight but they already have enough of those. Boost her growths and stats

On 3/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Hero_Lucina said:

Ashera kills everyone minus Michaiah and uses her as a slave in the worst ending

Kind of dark there my dude and I'm pretty sure this would never happen

Have Ena give birth before Part 2 also she shows no signs that she is pregnant

On 3/9/2019 at 7:42 PM, omegaxis1 said:

Changes to RD... I would make it so that Ike is by no means any main character. In fact, he's a minor character through and through. The story should be completely about Micaiah. Her game, her story. Meaning that the one that defeats Ashera is Micaiah, not Ike. Micaiah, being the vessel for Yune, should be the one to channel the power of the goddess and strike Ashera down, and have more kickass moments. 

Thank you, They always make the male lord look good in FE games. 

Celica should have gotten a battle quote against Duma, and shouldn't have gotten with Alm.

Erika - she needs some work

Edelgard - She was the only female lord that didn't really need someone to make her look good she kind of shook the system of female lords.

Micaiah - Some of the things Micaiah have done are kind of stupid.

Wish you Didn't have to replay the game 3 times just to get the true ending.

3 hours ago, PeonyofLeosa Dreamworld said:

Edelgard - She was the only female lord that didn't really need someone to make her look good she kind of shook the system of female lords.

Shook it so hard that many haters want to insist that her route is simply a "what-if" and therefore is non-canon. XD

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that has crossed my mind as well. Maybe a reboot could work better than remakes. Given that the story used every playable character (save one) from PoR again in RD, it might work to have the entire story of Tellius in a single game rather than 2. Essentially, it would be the same story but told through a single set of gameplay mechanics. As far as I know, Radiant Dawn is the first time there was a sequel that took place only 3 years after the events of the previous title. It's usually a generation between sequels. 

This should probably go without saying: RD's support conversation system was a wrong turn. I really wanted to get to know the new Daein characters better.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:19 PM, Ingen said:

As far as I know, Radiant Dawn is the first time there was a sequel that took place only 3 years after the events of the previous title.

FE3/F12 takes place only a couple of years after FE1/FE11. Oh, and FE5 takes place in the middle of FE4.

• 1 month later...

How do I delete a post? I replied to this thread and didn't realize it was a year old. Sorry I'm new

Edited by Kaiser Wilhelm
Trying to delete, didn't realize this thread was a year old.

• 1 year later...

Heavily disagree with the bulk of these ideas. I agree that some units need to be upgraded. There's not need to downgrade people like Haar or Titania, that's stupid as hell. No need to make part 2 optional either. It is a critical part of the story, so don't get rid of it. Also don't get rid of bloodpacts. They were an interesting addition to the story. I agree with more part 1 chapters for development. I don't agree that Fiona should not be mounted. She SHOULD be mounted, just make her a lower level, not a paladin. If she's lower level, her bases make more sense. I would give her 1-3 more points on most of her statline, including HP. This goes across the board for the rest of DB. Nolan needs str and def, Edward is mostly fine, just give him more HP and maybe 2 points of defense, give Leo SPD badly and 2 points of str, give micaiah speed so she doesn't suck as much ass throughout the game. Aran needs spd more than anyone else, and laura needs better caps in her base class. I'd give her 10% more growth on HP and speed because that's what she really needs too. Volug is perfectly fine as he is. Ilyana needs to suck less so give her better skill and give her 2 points of speed and she'll be mostly fine.

Also, i don't understand making Ike less important or giving micaiah the final blow. No, that's retarded. Ike makes the most sense. Micaiah is too weak to fight ashera and it wouldn't make sense to give the mary sue of the game the killing blow when she's already loved by the plot. she doesn't need any more attention. although i do agree she needs a prf weapon by end game. She doesn't need thani to be brave, that's stupid. Ike is still the main character of the tellius series so the focus should still be on him. he has unresolved story segments with the black knight and others who played a hand in his father's death, like sephiran. if anything, I'd give more spotlight to Sanaki, who got the shaft in this game. she should have have the leading role in part 4, not ike or micaiah. It should be part 1 - micaiah, part 2 - elincia/geoffrey, part 3 - ike & GMs, part 4 - Sanaki. I also agree on availability to some degree. Definitely Tormod needs to come back sooner. Florete needs fixing, laguz in general need fixing.. they should not hog up exp and not get levels (very bad design choice). more forge and skill options for sure. whoever said that is on the right track. making wind edge forge is an interesting idea but i would not do that until part 3 because it can be broken early on. I would say that they could just include more ranged options for weapons like how fates had a variety of weapon choices. keep the idea but don't use the nerfs on weapons that fates had.

The story itself is fine. It doesn't really need modifications, especially not ideas from fans who don't even know about how to write a story lol. I'd argue the story isn't even that important anyway. the gameplay is the main highlight of this show anyway. the number one thing they need to do if they're going to remake this game, above all else, is to create post game content. challenge maps like in path of radiance. that was awesome. maybe add some more to it. somehow incorporate multiplayer into it like with the gba and 3ds games. that would be swell.

also, edelgard was a trash character and an even more trash lord. don't model female leads after her. do agree that all the female leads have sucked. micaiah didn't just do some stupid things, she did some absolutely braindead stupid things. she is borderline the villain of this game along with sephiran. a lot of what was caused is on her hands. there was nothing wrong with celica and alm being together, stop hating. lyn was probably the best female lead in the series. too bad she got overshadowed by eliwood and hector. i found her more interesting that eliwood at least.

Edited by Quzi