Azure loves his Half Elves

Stories About Your Jobs

6 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@Hawkwing Wonder if that was part of your mother’s intention.

Maybe. Although I was/am already dedicated to that path and am not about to throw a bunch of money, time, and effort down the drain. It did help reinforce the importance of taking college seriously, I will give the experience credit for that.

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

The monotonous jobs are the jobs where you hear most varied and interesting conversations.  Lots to think about while you're basically pushing the assembly line along, so to speak.  Sort of like if you work at a bar, except with less people stumbling around in a drunken slog.

Very much agreed there. It's amazing what people will think of in the monotony. I did always listen more than I spoke, mostly because I liked focusing on completing the work order correctly the first time and not having to fix mistakes later. Only real exception was legitimate discussion about the end times, as it's nice to talk with someone about that in someplace other than Bible study and without the mockery that some people bring when religion is brought up. Granted, it's only happened, like, twice, but it was engaging nonetheless.

6 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

At the same time, I definitely don't envy those working such jobs.  I know of lots of people who are... I guess I'd say the best word to describe them is "draining" due to the existential dread they have from working these kinds of jobs.  Some are content to work those kinds of jobs while others hate the very idea, but I hear enough existential dread as it is from my former classmates on social media, I don't need to hear it right in my ear 6-8 hours a day, 4-7 days a week from someone I went to school with.

Honestly, I'd say that the biggest surprise I had when working at my second job were the kinds of people there. I was expecting a number of pretty-much-out-of-highschool aged employees that were taking a summer job to make some money and get something on their resume before college started up. Only about 3 people (myself included) fit that criteria. Everyone else was either a parent or grandparent that were looking for some way to make money, and a number of them were expecting to get fired sometime in the future (which actually happened to an employee in the first group I worked with. The supervisor wasn't joking when they said they would be checking peoples social media for anything relating to the workplace) and move onto the next job. It was a pretty eye opening life lesson that people like that exist, and that their circumstances and choices put them into that position.

2 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Honestly, I'd say that the biggest surprise I had when working at my second job were the kinds of people there. I was expecting a number of pretty-much-out-of-highschool aged employees that were taking a summer job to make some money and get something on their resume before college started up. Only about 3 people (myself included) fit that criteria. Everyone else was either a parent or grandparent that were looking for some way to make money, and a number of them were expecting to get fired sometime in the future (which actually happened to an employee in the first group I worked with. The supervisor wasn't joking when they said they would be checking peoples social media for anything relating to the workplace) and move onto the next job. It was a pretty eye opening life lesson that people like that exist, and that their circumstances and choices put them into that position.

Yeah, lots of older people wind up working these service and labor jobs.  Plenty of them are lay-offs resulting from similar stuff like what shoblongoo mentioned with employers hiring less experienced people for much cheaper.  Others may have worked in dying industries and were laid off because the companies literally couldn't afford to keep them on the payroll.  It's honestly no surprise a lot of those folks came to expect themselves getting fired in the future, which is kind of sad.

And that's also what some people don't understand about those kinds of jobs.  Or more specifically, minimum wage/entry level jobs.  The assumption is always that it's kids looking to earn a little extra on the side, or it's kids saving up for college, or kids looking to tidy up their resumes.  And if they don't use those jobs to save up for college, well, why don't they just go ahead and join the military to get into college instead or work to get a better job without college?  I have some folks in my family who think that way, think there's a perfect system and everything and don't realize there's a bunch of 40+ year old men and women working 50 hours a week on a wage of $11 an hour and who expect their lifelines to get cut at any moment.  Or they do, but they're bitter about the idea of these minimum wage workers earning more than they did back in the day.  Not sure, but either way, I know for a fact that many minimum wage workers aren't there to earn side money or bump their resume, many are forced to work minimum wage for a variety of misfortunes.

I work with small children and teens, so I have all sorts of fluffy work stories as well as horror work stories. I'll give you one of each, but I've basically got a whole novel of them at this point. 

All the fluffy:

Spoiler

Some context first: I'm a gal, but I tend to lean flip-flop between masculine and feminine looks in terms of how I style my hair and how I dress on most days. Think very short hair, no makeup really (except when I want to feel sparkly), more shapeless clothing, vests, suspenders, the occasional nice dress... I've also got these large round, magenta glasses. 

Well on one day in particular I was asked to go to the local nursery school to play with the 3 to 5 year olds along with my other female coworker. Visiting the nursery school is SUPER fun because basically, I get paid to play pretend or help kids teeter through obstacle courses. Well I got bullied into playing some card games with a few kids, and we had settled in pretty comfortably. They were still attempting to explain the rules, and I was 90% sure all of them were cheating. Well one little girl looks at me, sees that I'm wearing a ring on my left hand and asks me, "Are you married to Ms. M?" (The other female teacher I had come with.) I kinda laughed and told her I wasn't. But now she was really curious about my ring and really wanted to know who my wife was. I tell them I'm not wearing a wedding ring. (It's actually a purity ring, but IDK how to explain that to small children, so I just told them it's my magic ring.) A second girl gets kind of curious and squints at me and asks me if I'm even a man at all. Before I can answer a boy jumps into the conversation and says something along the lines of, "Duh! She's Harry Potter!" And all the kids have this moment of realization and completely freak out. They then offered me their condolances that I wasn't already married, and they were sure someone would want to marry me for my magic at least. LOL 

The next time I visited that school, I came with a male teacher, and even after I told the kids he was my friend, they came up to congratulate me on my marriage. LOL 

All the horror: 

Spoiler

Sometimes I play variations of "duck-duck-goose" with the kids because it's an easy game to explain. For Halloween I played "ghost-ghost-boo" with the second graders. I always play with the kids, and I'm usually the one to demo the "it" person no matter what game we play. I'm already slow. Like...I'm a runner, but I run long distances. And it's Halloween, so I'm dressed in a corset and floor-length gown (because I decided to be Elsa) as well as this annoying wig. My strategy is to prey on the kids who aren't paying attention or just look...tiny and slow because I know I can outrun them and not have to be "it" again. So I'm walking around the circle, trying to be strategic about who to pick to chase me. There's this one tiny boy who looks like he's in a completely different world, so I touch his head, say "BOO!", and start running. This kid jumps up and comes at me like a bat out of hell. So I freak out, and I pick up the pace and just barely miss getting tagged. But because I can't delicately sit down in my costume, I basically throw myself at the ground, and in the process, my foot gets caught in my gown (not wearing any shoes because no way am I running in heels), and I dislocate my toe. I thought it was fine for a bit. Like it HURT but I just toughed it out through class and when my coworker saw how swollen and gross it was, she made me go to the nurse. 

So yeah. My lovely duck-duck-goose related injury. Oddly enough, three kids from that class injured themselves playing. 

Job made me want into cosplaying. 

Spoiler

Employer decided Super Mario for 2019's carnival theme. Since I am not into this series nowadays anymore - despite owning several Nintendo consoles - I needed a few suggestions by my workmates. Then the name Rosalina was brought up who I only knew from Smash Bros. I remember she was Elsa with a gorgeous hair. So I took that opportunity to go as her and let a dream of mine come true: Being a princess! Since it was just carnival I was not quite Rosalina. Luma was missing and also I did not wear the fitting boots (had ones in turquise but they were too small so I had to switch back to my standard boots). I was the attraction in the carnival's party. Lots of women - mostly a bit older than me - wanted to take a picture of me and dance with me. Latter I politely declined though since I am no big dancer. 

Anyways Japan Day is coming on late May and for this event I will do a serious attempt cosplaying her, of course not 100% accurate, but I still want to look and act as authentic as possible. Looking forward to it! 

As for the job itself: I am working for the university of my town (technically two places) in an office as time tracker of all employees except for professors. I am called the Master of Time. People are super nice and nerdier than I thought. It feels like family to me. Always like to go to work. 

Edited by Necrofantasia

Here's a wild one. I work for a video game company (which shall remain nameless) and we outsourced some of our background NPCs to contractors. I was in charge of double checking and organizing their work before submitting it to the lead. While checking the files, I noticed something odd in the textures. Turns out, this one guy had put in fully detailed... err...  parts on all the characters he gave us. Very detailed. Like, with their own maps and everything. We couldn't tell if he was just messing with us, or if he had somehow thought he needed to add them, or what, but we ended up just going in in photoshop and painting black over all the... bits. We didn't change the models, though, and I don't think anyone ever noticed.

That was a weird "what did you do today" though, as I spent a full week rechecking the private parts of every model in the game to make sure no one else had done it. My coworkers still joke about it.

On 3/12/2019 at 2:52 PM, Tediz64 said:

@Shoblongoo I want to hear one. Just one. Especially if you have a good one of someone under 18 thinking they have been. (at the hands of someone over 18). I'm sure you have plenty of those right?

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. It finally happened.

"Hello; I think I have a case. I just found out this old guy who does the same job as me makes 35k a year more than I do. I confronted my boss about this and he said well thats because he's older and has been doing this longer; he's more experienced.  Isn't that age discrimination????"

No. Fuck-off. That isn't age discrimination--you're dumb.

SMFH   

A colleague of mine was accused of being sexist (over the phone) because he was trying to explain how our product works to a client that clearly wasn't getting it.

I mean, asking for support and then getting offended that someone is giving you it, is pretty weird

I tutor undergraduate students as part of a programme that our faculty started three years ago. Courses that involve mathematics are the ones I tutor the most, since a lot of students seem to have problems with it.

Well I work at an auction house so I get to see a lot

So about two weeks ago, one of our regulars brought in some boxes he cleaned out of a storage bin (storage stuff coming in is really common), and after we unloaded his truck we noticed that one of the boxes reeked. While cleaning out the cardboard box my aunt pulls out 1oz of pot.

Some customers bought a washing machine and decided the best way to bring it home that night was to strap it on to the roof of their sedan. The roof was crushed before they even left the parking lot.

I've got a few more if anyone is interested. I'm at work rn, something funny might happen tonight. 

So I've been auditing a machine class over the past few weeks. Don't get any credit for it, it lasts from 8 to 4:30, and I have to pay to take any tests, but it is free, I can leave at any time, and I'm getting some good experience in a field I haven't worked in for 2-3 years. Every hour is like it's own class, and for a comparison, we took the "midterms" on day 5 (actually 6, but that's only because the tests came in later than planned).

Anyway, during the safety portion of the class, I forgot how much I love machining/engineering stories. You know? The ones where people barely survive being crushed by lathes because they could bench press 400 pounds at the time, or because the elastic band that caught their leg snapped at just the right time. Or how the machines are strong enough that if your hair is caught, you'll be luck to just loose some skin. Or how someone that had a strap of their work apron loose ended up flying over the shop and impaled on some metal stock due to getting to close to a spinning lathe. Or how one of my college professors is no longer allowed to show the pictures of a lathe crushing a persons head because he got a complaint about a student puking once. Or how you can still get stuff stuck in your eye even with safety glasses and some of my professors have scars due to working in the field for years, and many, many more.

Can't think of a better way to teach safety. And the little boy part of me can't help but inwardly yell "cool!" due to working with dangerous machinery. Needless to say, there's a reason "Never Give Up!" and "Never Forget Your Safety Glasses!" are my two life motto's.

I'm a surgical tech Corpsman with the US Navy. In a nutshell, I'm the one who maintains sterile fields and assists a scrubbed surgeon as needed with whatever case we are doing. 

Needless to say, all of my job stories are filled with plenty of blood, organs and other bodily fluids and structures, so I won't share unless people ask. 

Lady calls in asks for someone in the natural foods department. Now i am not very well versed in it, but my old department was merged with the natural foods section and I am the only one working that day so i pick up the phone. She starts talking about organics grape juice, that she thought was 4.99 but on the receipt it says 5.99. She then keeps talking and talking about something or other, I was barely listening because I figured she was just rambling at this point. After a minute or two of her just talking about being in the store when she bought the juice, she asked if I could go check the price. I said I could, told her I'd be right back and put her on hold.

I checked the juice aisles for the normal food section, and the natural food section and I could not see the grape juice she wanted. There wasn't even any placement for it. So I go back to the phone and I tell her this.

She was very much not happy about it. Now my department has a cellphone that we can carry around, and usually the manager does. I can take it if I want but I absolutely don't have to, and in fact never have past my first few weeks in the department. Anyway, she asks me if i am carrying this phone I say no. She then asks me which phone I am using, and I say customer service, which I was actually using.

After that she proceeded to berate me for not using the pharmacy phone which is close to the department. Fair enough I suppose, though i don't say respond much to it. 

She is clearly very angry at having to wait, frustrated about me "not doing my job properly" [Which honestly I think she just has the wrong expectations as to what my job actually entails and what I am actually supposed to do] and tells me that she won't wait any longer but that the juice section is and she tells me that it is by the shelves at the end of the frozen section. I said OK and told her to have a good day and then hung up. 

Now what is funny about all of this, and I didn't realize until I hung up, is that the juice section she was referring to, was removed near the beginning of this year. She must have had a grape juice from January or February and was asking me what the current price (August) was to see if it matched the receipt. I find it funny when customers act so adamant and condescending about something, only for them to later find that I am actually doing my job properly, and have no way to help them with their request . In fact no one could unless you wanted to go digging for old planograms (which no one would do). Though in this case I could have perhaps used the phone in the pharmacy. I still won't. Usually customers who call are just wasting fucking time and I happily oblige to the opportunity.

I previously worked for my college's residential life. One of my jobs was to supervise the gaming centers near our dorms, basically it's a place for students to unwind from academics and play a bunch of different video games. We had a group of three or four students who were completely devoted to playing Super Smash Bros. there and I would literally always see them when I was working a shift.

One day, however, our copy of the game broke. One of the students got so mad that he threatened one of my co-workers.