A relaxed Conquest playthrough (With Screenshots!)

DehNutCase

Felt like playing Conquest again, so I swapped all my FEH time over to Conquest time. There's not much to talk about in the FEH sub-forum if I don't, you know, actually play the game, so I figured I'd get screenshots working on my 3DS (via Luma3DS, so nothing official), and post a fairly casual playthrough of the game over here. Since it's a fairly casual playthrough, my focus would be more on the planning phase of the game rather than the execution. That is, I'll talk a bit about why I pick certain units and my reasoning behind them rather than focusing on how I spent 50 turns plinking a bowman on a fort tile or whatever.

Table of Contents:

1, Pre-run Planning + Some Prologue Chapters

2, Chapter 3: Master Tactician Edition

3, Chapter 4

4, Chapter 5

5, Chapter 6: Operation Hug-box

6, Intermission, Mission Statement, and Math

7, Chapter 7

8, Chapter 8: Enter, Odin Dark

9, Paralogue 1

10, Chapter 9

11, Chapter 10: Camilla.exe

12, Invasion 1: Operation Nepotism

13, Chapter 11

14, Chapter 12: Everything Goes Better Than Expected

15, Chapter 13

16, Chapter 14

17, Chapter 15

18, Chapter 16: Crashes.jpg

19, Intermission II: Team Level & Stats

20, Chapter 17

21, Invasion 2

22, Chapter 18

23, Chapter 19

24, Chapter 20

25, Chapter 21

26, Chapter 22

27, Chapter 23

28, Chapter 24

29, Chapter 25

30, Chapter 26

31, Chapter 27 & Night Breaks Through: You Should Probably Read This Chapter First if You Want to Have a Relaxed Game of Conquest.

Pre-run Planning:

53pVoLw.png      D4FnH06.png

Ah, character creation. If you don't spend 2 hours on this step, you're doing it wrong.

Gender is obviously the first choice you make, and a very important one. Due to level and availability related reasons, Jakob and Felicia are more or less the two most broken units in Conquest. Camilla comes close, coming in at 10 levels ahead of everyone else and staying ahead forever due to a low internal level, but her marginally worse availability and slower skill access means that, while she might well be the stronger, better unit compared to Jakob and Felicia, she's less broken from a overall perspective.

Being female means you get Jakob, who takes less to get going and ends up with a bit more bulk at the end. On the other hand, it also means that you can't pass Samurai to any females (Vantage and L&D in the same class tree is fair and balanced) . So no Vantage L&D Savage Blow Camilla or any such nonsense.

Being male would've gotten Felicia, who needs to grind tomes to get her offenses going, but ends up a tad better than Jakob if you're min-maxing her. But you do have to min-max her, whereas Jakob is pretty good even if you left him more or less alone. You also don't get to pass on Samurai to any males, but Kaze and Odin both already have access to it, so males don't care nearly as much. Pity you can't do things like marry Odin to Nyx to give her Samurai. Edit: You totally can, my memory is just shit.

I picked female because black hair & white flower is optimal, obviously. Boons and Banes actually don't matter too much, because the Avatar starts with such nice growths already, having 45/30/45 Str/Mag/Spd and 35/25 Def/Res, so I went the lazy option of taking Unlucky because she has 25% luck growth even with a bane, and then taking Strong to counteract the minor penalty to her offensive stat.

As a small note before starting the run, the run will be focused on testing whether or not Vantage L&D is as broken as I expect it to be, which means both testing it on Jakob (who gets the set with a 1-2 range weapon around chapter 10 if you rush straight for it), and also testing Kaze and Odin with the set, both of whom get it far later.

Prologue Stuff:

fNFPmsA.png   DWJyKOQ.png 

Vsq3Vgz.png

A very nice first level up, considering Corrin's job for the near future is going to be face-tanking everything for ages. (Lunatic is secretly extremely nice about level up screenshots, since even if I had to restart a chapter I don't have to take the level up screenshots again, since they'll be the same unless I class change.) Followed by a safe and secure end turn on a heal tile.

J2OxzMq.png  

Start of turn 2 spacing.  Everyone moved as left as practical in order to try and make sure the AI doesn't end up in a vertical conga line that might delay things to the point where Kaze starts murdering my team.

WHpkrbt.png  Vjvf8Z0.png  

68dHqM2.png

The Samurai has a throwing sword, so Jakob is spaced to handle it (he easily doubles the samurai's sad, -5 spd ass) and Corrin & Gunter rip apart the axe guy, getting her a nice offensive level.

ZUe1jED.png

Double checking spacing before murdering Rinkah. If I remember correctly Gunther smacked her first, then Corrin moved to her left to finish her. Left Jakob for last because I wanted to use his turn to finish Rinkah if Corrin missed. But she didn't, so I healed Corrin instead.

WHW2lZN.png

Screens like this (The 'Jagen' hitting an early game boss) should be pretty familar to anyone who plays Lunatic difficulties. It's simply not worth the effort to try and feed anyone else the combat exp (although obviously you take the last hit if possible) and risk the game over screen or losing a ton of healing items. Also note how completely reliable Gunter's survival was, even if Kaze somehow lived through the turn--Forceful Partner + Lance means that Corrin ORKOs the bottom samurai without any chance of a counter, and Jakob + Gunter has a 90%+ chance to explode the top samurai. The kid gloves are still on.

FlfV4sD.png

Emphasis on 'if possible' about taking the last hit. A Gunter crit blew Kaze's face off.

lDepS6G.png jLCPtnv.png

And clearing the stragglers gives Corrin another nice offensive level. Would like some more Def/Res, but she'll only be face tanking for a few more chapters, so it doesn't matter much.

Edited by DehNutCase

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapter 3:

cOgKrPq.png

Pre-map Planning:

And now you get to see me show the map the true meaning of 'filthy casual.' Unless the map requires me to (with thieves, moving objectives, or whatnot), I rarely bother caring about turn-count, and on this map in particular that means I get to go right and take the fort rather than going down and using the dragon vein, netting me 5 more kills. Which is something like 3 or 4 levels, thanks to all the healing Jakob needs to do---with Pair Up bonuses from the Archer the Samurai on the fort is actually fast enough to double Corrin, dealing 8 damage each hit if she's paired with Gunter, which is quite hefty considering she only has 21 hp at the start of the map. The 3 unpaired archers also deal 5 damage each.

Healing Resources: One fort tile in the bottom middle of the map if you're doing the map the 'normal' way, rather than the slow as molasses way. 19 heal staff uses.

Because Jakob isn't level 5, he can't heal himself with his own staff, meaning if you're planning to go through the occupied fort (which I am, gotta get that delicious, delicious exp---at the cost of about 3 maps worth of turns, LUL), you only get one use of dagger debuffs before you take the fort.

Fortunately, blocks from defensive pair-ups happen once every 6 hits, meaning every enemy phase one attack will be blocked. (5 hits from the 4 enemies, once each from each of them, a double from the samurai, and a counter attack hit from Corrin.) Add that to Jakob's Gentilhomme and the most amount of damage Corrin can take in a single enemy phase is 6 damage from the Archers (two hits for 5 - 2 = 3 damage, one blocked), and 12 damage from the Samurai, which is a total of 18 damage, comfortably survivable. She's straight up dead if I didn't get a point of def by now, though. If you didn't get any Def level ups you have to do the map the regular way even if you wanted to take the fort, just go through the dragon vein bridge and then come back to the fort after fighting through the mooks in the bottom right of the map. Even if you didn't get any Def level ups despite all that, one of the archers will move away from the fort to attack you, meaning it's only 3 people hitting you a turn rather than 4, and you can pick off the stationary archers before man-fighting the swordsman if you wanted to.

The map:

s8MTa97.png

You can't get this far turn 1 just by walking, you have to pair Corrin and Gunter together and then separate them in front of the Samurai. Jakob can also reach this far forward by pairing with Gunter, if you wanted to waste a bunch of his un-healable hit-points* for some reason.

*Yes, technically there's a free fort to heal him. But if you're going that way you might as well just cross the bridge and be done. You can even hit the the archer spam fort from behind if you still wanted to take it for some reason.

NvLmFgj.png

After Corrin casually one-shots the two Samurai, I heal her and move her over here to force the Samurai to swap with the bowman and shoot her. It's not really important right now, since we still need Hans to kill himself, but it'll be useful just a little bit later to prevent the Samurai from healing to full every time you backed off to heal. (You only heal from forts as the 'active' unit in a pair-up.)

Xd84ZCS.png

Pictured: Hans, about to get shot in the face. Jakob also got shot this turn, since it wasn't the Samurai who killed Hans.

6nWEjTx.png

Basically, once Hans is out of the way the way the fort breaks down is like this: You end turn with Corrin at full hp next to the fort, the 3 archers shoot her, and then the Samurai smacks her around for about 15-18 damage. I then move her next to Jakob, but still in range of the fort archer, so that the Samurai only heals for 4 hp before she gets back in front of the fort, fully healed from the two turns of healing. (It also gives me a free hit on the archer every time I move back.)

Don't worry about Jakob, the archer that moves is programmed not to move in front of the fort, not even for a sure kill. You could also just not debuff with his dagger, of course, which is what I ended up doing after my game crashed from clicking too fast after taking a screenshot.

Reset count: 1

I didn't waste Jakob's hp after the reset since I figured I might as well let him farm Archer exp on the fort, and to do that he needed enough hp to survive one hit from the moving archer.

hGZSgfF.png

The free hits ends up grinding the archer down way before the Samurai goes down, which removes his pair-up bonus, meaning he no longer doubles Corrin.

7kEzlfp.png

Fort, Taken.

XXefJ1Y.png  vn7mW4z.png

DSFe9ZT.png   m07NvoT.png

L2Qgoq2.png  8otlmJR.png

Also a bunch of levels during the process.

vRu8SeO.png  7hRrPDc.png

The map is pretty much just mop-up after this point---the enemy mobs really aren't scaled for units who can brute force through the fort. But that's not why I didn't take screenshots. I didn't take them because I was stupid, lul. Anyway, I basically sat Jakob on the fort for 2 turns to heal to full, while Corrin and Gunter walked down to bait the two archers. I then retreated so Jakob could smack them for the exp before moving back to the fort to heal to full again.

ncPtXCj.png

Moving forward again to bait the Archer and the Samurai from, uh, 'behind' the boss (the Samurai wasn't in range to attack, but the AI moved him for the offensive pair-up).

FwgPkUG.png

I moved back again so that the boss Ninja doesn't mess with me while I'm farming exp.

VVI5Eea.png  arhxCAk.png

Forgot some screenshots again, killed the last straggling archer, and Jakob got to kill the reinforcement pegasi (who have like, 10 Atk including their weapon) for a nice level.

kjKNcRf.png  3vV50Dp.png

Happened to have full shield gauge after all that, so...

nSqT1Gk.png  C4rPW4l.png

Corrin got exp for the  fight because the shield gauge was full.

5HjB1io.png

Moved Gunter next to boss, swapped Corrin into a pair-up, then to the front, and smacked him for a 64% chance of murder. If it didn't work Jakob would back up one square to provide his -2 damage buff while being outside the boss's range, and I'd get Corrin to run away to heal up. (I'm not going to Gunter the boss to save some turns when I literally wasted 20 or so turns going through the archer fort.)

t1hb1R5.png

But it worked, so cheers.

kjKNcRf.png  YH7e8SO.png

Doing things the stupid way basically cost... 20 or so turns more than the normal way, and 6 or so more heal staff uses.

Not really worth it unless you're a filthy, filthy casual.

Edited by DehNutCase

> Due to level and availability related reasons, Jakob and Felicia are more or less the two most broken units in Conquest. \

Interesting to see your opinion on this. I know Jakob's broken and i feel Felicia is close, but i never really see it in practice for Felicia. Gonna be interesting lol

I respond here so my comment isn't super long 

Spoiler
19 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

You're already the best person on earth

Camilla comes close, coming in at 10 levels ahead of everyone else and staying ahead forever due to a low internal level, but her marginally worse availability and slower skill access means that, while she might well be the stronger, better unit compared to Jakob and Felicia, she's less broken from a overall perspective.

Conquest starts at Chapter 7 so Camilla joins pretty early. Plus Jakob is missing 4 chapters from Prologue to Chapter 10 when Camilla joins so I will say Camilla is still ridiculous.

Vantage L&D

What is Vantage L&D?

A very nice first level up, considering Corrin's job for the near future is going to be face-tanking everything for ages. (Lunatic is secretly extremely nice about level up screenshots, since even if I had to restart a chapter I don't have to take the level up screenshots again, since they'll be the same unless I class change.)

Pretty bad actually, the earlygame samurais wouldn't be doign much damage to her anyway and plus that damage is experience for Jakob.

16 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

You can't get this far turn 1 just by walking, you have to pair Corrin and Gunter together and then separate them in front of the Samurai. Jakob can also reach this far forward by pairing with Gunter, if you wanted to waste a bunch of his un-healable hit-points* for some reason.

You know what I do? I actually pair Corrin with Gunter, same thing, but instead I drop Corrin off so that both samurai can attack him and he usually one rounds (unless this is lunatic) and then I take the fort from behind because it's easier to do so from the back. Well anyways after enemy phase 1 Corrin gets into gunther and then I move and open the first dragon vein.

It's pretty cool overall but I wouldn't call you a filthy casual if you are "relaxed...ly" playing Lunatic.

20 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

Chapter 3:

cOgKrPq.png

Pre-map Planning:

And now you get to see me show the map the true meaning of 'filthy casual.' Unless the map requires me to (with thieves, moving objectives, or whatnot), I rarely bother caring about turn-count, and on this map in particular that means I get to go right and take the fort rather than going down and using the dragon vein, netting me 5 more kills. Which is something like 3 or 4 levels, thanks to all the healing Jakob needs to do---with Pair Up bonuses from the Archer the Samurai on the fort is actually fast enough to double Corrin, dealing 8 damage each hit if she's paired with Gunter, which is quite hefty considering she only has 21 hp at the start of the map. The 3 unpaired archers also deal 5 damage each.

Healing Resources: One fort tile in the bottom middle of the map if you're doing the map the 'normal' way, rather than the slow as molasses way. 19 heal staff uses.

Because Jakob isn't level 5, he can't heal himself with his own staff, meaning if you're planning to go through the occupied fort (which I am, gotta get that delicious, delicious exp---at the cost of about 3 maps worth of turns, LUL), you only get one use of dagger debuffs before you take the fort.

Fortunately, blocks from defensive pair-ups happen once every 6 hits, meaning every enemy phase one attack will be blocked. (5 hits from the 4 enemies, once each from each of them, a double from the samurai, and a counter attack hit from Corrin.) Add that to Jakob's Gentilhomme and the most amount of damage Corrin can take in a single enemy phase is 6 damage from the Archers (two hits for 5 - 2 = 3 damage, one blocked), and 12 damage from the Samurai, which is a total of 18 damage, comfortably survivable. She's straight up dead if I didn't get a point of def by now, though. If you didn't get any Def level ups you have to do the map the regular way even if you wanted to take the fort, just go through the dragon vein bridge and then come back to the fort after fighting through the mooks in the bottom right of the map. Even if you didn't get any Def level ups despite all that, one of the archers will move away from the fort to attack you, meaning it's only 3 people hitting you a turn rather than 4, and you can pick off the stationary archers before man-fighting the swordsman if you wanted to.

The map:

s8MTa97.png

*Yes, technically there's a free fort to heal him. But if you're going that way you might as well just cross the bridge and be done. You can even hit the the archer spam fort from behind if you still wanted to take it for some reason.

NvLmFgj.png

After Corrin casually one-shots the two Samurai, I heal her and move her over here to force the Samurai to swap with the bowman and shoot her. It's not really important right now, since we still need Hans to kill himself, but it'll be useful just a little bit later to prevent the Samurai from healing to full every time you backed off to heal. (You only heal from forts as the 'active' unit in a pair-up.)

Xd84ZCS.png

Pictured: Hans, about to get shot in the face. Jakob also got shot this turn, since it wasn't the Samurai who killed Hans.

6nWEjTx.png

Basically, once Hans is out of the way the way the fort breaks down is like this: You end turn with Corrin at full hp next to the fort, the 3 archers shoot her, and then the Samurai smacks her around for about 15-18 damage. I then move her next to Jakob, but still in range of the fort archer, so that the Samurai only heals for 4 hp before she gets back in front of the fort, fully healed from the two turns of healing. (It also gives me a free hit on the archer every time I move back.)

Don't worry about Jakob, the archer that moves is programmed not to move in front of the fort, not even for a sure kill. You could also just not debuff with his dagger, of course, which is what I ended up doing after my game crashed from clicking too fast after taking a screenshot.

Reset count: 1

I didn't waste Jakob's hp after the reset since I figured I might as well let him farm Archer exp on the fort, and to do that he needed enough hp to survive one hit from the moving archer.

hGZSgfF.png

The free hits ends up grinding the archer down way before the Samurai goes down, which removes his pair-up bonus, meaning he no longer doubles Corrin.

7kEzlfp.png

Fort, Taken.

XXefJ1Y.png  vn7mW4z.png

DSFe9ZT.png   m07NvoT.png

L2Qgoq2.png  8otlmJR.png

Also a bunch of levels during the process.

vRu8SeO.png  7hRrPDc.png

The map is pretty much just mop-up after this point---the enemy mobs really aren't scaled for units who can brute force through the fort. But that's not why I didn't take screenshots. I didn't take them because I was stupid, lul. Anyway, I basically sat Jakob on the fort for 2 turns to heal to full, while Corrin and Gunter walked down to bait the two archers. I then retreated so Jakob could smack them for the exp before moving back to the fort to heal to full again.

ncPtXCj.png

Moving forward again to bait the Archer and the Samurai from, uh, 'behind' the boss (the Samurai wasn't in range to attack, but the AI moved him for the offensive pair-up).

FwgPkUG.png

I moved back again so that the boss Ninja doesn't mess with me while I'm farming exp.

VVI5Eea.png  arhxCAk.png

Forgot some screenshots again, killed the last straggling archer, and Jakob got to kill the reinforcement pegasi (who have like, 10 Atk including their weapon) for a nice level.

kjKNcRf.png  3vV50Dp.png

Happened to have full shield gauge after all that, so...

nSqT1Gk.png  C4rPW4l.png

Corrin got exp for the  fight because the shield gauge was full.

5HjB1io.png

Moved Gunter next to boss, swapped Corrin into a pair-up, then to the front, and smacked him for a 64% chance of murder. If it didn't work Jakob would back up one square to provide his -2 damage buff while being outside the boss's range, and I'd get Corrin to run away to heal up. (I'm not going to Gunter the boss to save some turns when I literally wasted 20 or so turns going through the archer fort.)

t1hb1R5.png

But it worked, so cheers.

kjKNcRf.png  YH7e8SO.png

Doing things the stupid way basically cost... 20 or so turns more than the normal way, and 6 or so more heal staff uses.

Not really worth it unless you're a filthy, filthy casual.

Soooo...No fort grinding the archer?

Plus, did you kill the Pegasus reinforcements?

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

Soooo...No fort grinding the archer?

Plus, did you kill the Pegasus reinforcements?

I did kill the archers next to the fort. They don't move, so Jakob killed them while I was moving Corrin and Gunter down to bait the archers to the right of the boss.

And the pegasi have like negative base stats or something*. Jakob ORKO'd all of them on enemy phase while I was walking to the boss. (The spawn box for them is pretty huge.)

*Mind, this is intentional. They're supposed to slow you down an extra turn if you can't bum-rush the ninja boss down, since even negative base stats deal serious damage if you get your defense de-buffed. But that doesn't matter if you don't care about turn-count.

5 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I respond here so my comment isn't super long 

Hide contents

You're already the best person on earth

Conquest starts at Chapter 7 so Camilla joins pretty early. Plus Jakob is missing 4 chapters from Prologue to Chapter 10 when Camilla joins so I will say Camilla is still ridiculous.

What is Vantage L&D?

Pretty bad actually, the earlygame samurais wouldn't be doign much damage to her anyway and plus that damage is experience for Jakob.

You know what I do? I actually pair Corrin with Gunter, same thing, but instead I drop Corrin off so that both samurai can attack him and he usually one rounds (unless this is lunatic) and then I take the fort from behind because it's easier to do so from the back. Well anyways after enemy phase 1 Corrin gets into gunther and then I move and open the first dragon vein.

It's pretty cool overall but I wouldn't call you a filthy casual if you are "relaxed...ly" playing Lunatic.

Vantage L&D is just that, Vantage and Life and Death. Samurai get both of them naturally if you master seal into Master of Arms. Only Jakob and Felicia can get L&D around the time Camilla joins, since that's a level 15 skill. But they do get it around the time Camilla joins if you beeline, which is outrageous. (You have to marry them to Corrin to get the Samurai line in Conquest, though.)

Chapter 4:

KHE9E4F.png  UHUhnJJ.png

Pre-map Planning:

Speaking of maps that has me caring about turn-count. (At least until some secondary objectives are fufilled.)

Objectives: Goddess Icon, Concoction, as much exp as reasonably practical.

Goddess Icon is trivial, Concoction needs Hinoka to be alive, and as much exp as reasonably practical needs Sakura to be alive. It also means we're taking the north then west route, so that we can hopefully intercept some Faceless before they suicide to Hinoka. Since we're in the Conquest route it means that exp for Rinkah would only be for the next map, so I'll be doing my best to dump all the exp on Kaze and Corrin.

Healing Resources: 3 uses of Vulnerary, 2 uses of Concoction after talking to Hinoka, 20 uses of Bloom Festal if Sakura's alive and you walk a moderately injured injured unit near her. (If you only took a paper-cut she'll just give you the 'just walk it off' look, but won't say anything because that'd be rude.)

Because Sakura gets 2RKOd by the closest Faceless and can't heal herself, there's a soft time limit on this map where you'll lose some free healing (and thus exp grinding) if you take slightly above par time, and lose a concoction if you take so long that somehow Hinoka got killed. She has to get really swarmed for this to happen, and it shouldn't if you're rushing forward for exp.

The map:

rVcbHuT.png

Pretty typical turn 1. You'd think it's better to pair with Rinkah and walk, since she has the northwest starting square, but Kaze's pair-up bonus includes 1 Mov so it's a wash as long as you pair him with Corrin rather than the other way around.

WFn7U0L.png

Corrin moved one square left to use the Dragon Vein, which let Rinkah hand over the Goddess Icon and pair-up with Kaze on the same turn.

SFnUBRj.png  GEsNkqP.png

A 82% ORKO (82% because he had a 2% chance to only need 1 hit) on the faceless. It wasn't 100% so I had Kaze kill him on a wood tile in case some hilariously terrible RNG happened. But everything went as expected.

y6GldTu.png

And then some ludicrously good RNG happened, with Kaze criting the first Faceless into oblivion (the faceless had a bit more stats, so he would've survived without the crit) and naturally ORKOing the second one. Also, he's a Ninja, so he dodged both hits thrown at him.

K8vSrBl.png  XuZGdQZ.png

Just marching to the second Dragon Vein. It wasn't possible to get the Kaze Rinkah pair into a position where only the western Faceless could hit them, so I left only Corrin in range instead, playing it safe.

(If both hits landed on Kaze he would've died due to the stronger Faceless' Seal Def skill.)

Naturally Ryoma kill stole Corrin after she did 75% of the work.

FNSkEUC.png

Rushing west as fast as we can now, that Faceless is getting awfully close to Sakura. Note that Kaze is in the perfect spot where only 1 Faceless could hit him. I couldn't get in range without separating units for the extra square of movement, so I had to pick a tile that doesn't get him killed.

93rGEEY.png j3XY5pm.png

He didn't quite ORKO, but did get a very Kaze level out of the combat exp.

D0vcGxa.png

Moving West at a good clip, although we're 1 turn too late for a perfect clear. (More on this later.)

Note the red threat range, namely, the fact that it doesn't reach adjacent to Corrin's tile. This means that the Faceless doesn't have enough Mov to Dual Strike, meaning Corrin's safe from being ORKO'd even without being paired up.

Ryoma kill stole her kill during his turn, of course.

N8qCTHk.png

Not very obvious, but Corrin moved left one square before drinking a Vulnerary. (She got it from Kaze sometime earlier.)

And, of course, Ryoma kill stole her again during his turn.

We also see why we were one turn too short from a perfect clear here. If the Kaze Rinkah pair was one more square to the left Rinkah could be in front of Sakura this turn, unpaired, which will let her tank one turn on enemy phase, and then either her or Kaze would be healed on ally phase, letting them pair up to whittle the Faceless down. Edit: This is actually wrong, although she would be able to get in front of Sakura next turn, paired, if we were 1 more square to the left. Which does the same thing.

But we were one turn too late for that---if we tried the split up thing next turn it would risk Kaze getting OHKOd. (The easiest way to save some turns getting here is risking some KOs while using the Dragon Veins, but I made enough inefficient moves that it might be possible to get here 1 turn sooner without risking anything.)

3IWRKlV.png  VIPgYZH.png

Since it's too late to get Rinkah in front of the faceless I just paired Corrin with her instead, and then moved over to talk to the sisters before separating.

Ppj7ydo.png  ojfoG0U.png

~80% chance to have Sakura alive at the end of this turn, between the 78% hit, the 69% * 3% Kaze crit, and Sakura's possible Miracle/dodge.

It's also possible that the Faceless just goes for killing Corrin on enemy phase, of course, but we hit on the 78% roll so it didn't matter. Nothing except farming the last bit of exp now.

BJt92Lq.png  2EhBFGo.png

Tore down the mountain, healed everyone up, and walked over to start the exp farm.

X8gqEeH.png  6ZdzUKr.png

jtvWkGb.png vciOd9Y.png

Pretty much the best one stat level she could get, but it's still a one stat level, so yeah. I also used the Goddess Icon on the way back to Sakura for healing. (Getting the Goddess Icon so early is a pretty good reason to take the Unlucky bane unless you really need the 5% extra Str/Mag growth and 1 extra Str/Mag cap.)

rVPY5t5.png

And then back again for more farming.

HQLVzXo.png

Note Kaze's positioning, he moved behind Corrin so that if we fail the KO this round he doesn't die from the Seal Def + Smacked by boss Faceless combo.

1lIGTbL.png hqpG5Xh.png

The combat exp also nets him another very Kaze level. I think the idea with his freakishly high Spd growths is to let you early promote him for lower internal level, fixing his Atk with energy drops. Too bad it's such a waste of his excellent 40% Atk growth. Kaze himself has 40/65 offensive growths, making it look like his Atk and Spd should stay pretty close, but his Ninja class means that it's actually 45/85.

eHegcGN.png

Pretty sure I double checked that Corrin would survive a hit even after the Seal Def debuff got reapplied, or this is 28% stupid. But it killed the boss, so whatever.

Edited by DehNutCase

Chapter 5:

Pre-map Planning:

VuA91s0.png

Objectives: As much exp as reasonably practical, move all transferable items to Corrin.

Corrin gets about half of level of exp on this level, and all from the boss. Everyone else is too low level to give any exp, meaning you'll want her to fight as little as possible. Since this is a Conquest run we'll really only care about Kaze and Azura. 

As far as I know, the only items Corrin can keep going from Chapter 5 to 6 are: Vulnerary, Concotion, Goddess Icon, and Hp Tonic. Due to inventory limits you can only keep 3 of these, so usually it should be everything except the Hp Tonic, which is the cheapest.

(You can also keep everything except the Goddess Icon, which you get someone to eat, and that's fine as long as that someone isn't Corrin. More on this later, near the end of the chapter.)

Healing Resources: 2 uses of Vulnerary---usually I have only 1 at this point, but Kaze being on a lucky streak meant only Corrin had to heal up last map---2 uses of Concoction, 20 uses of Bloom Festal, Azura's 10% hp a turn if you start turn within 2 spaces of her.

This is the first Reinforcement map, and they trigger after you aggro the 'second wave' of enemies, the 3 mages and 2 pair'd up mercenaries right before the boss. It's 4 mages spawning in more or less the 4 corners of the map, and, honestly, shouldn't be too much trouble even if you went in blind. (When in doubt, have your Jagen murder the problem.) I do cheat a little with my n-th playthrough knowledge and had Corrin camp the spawns, which makes the whole map go a bit smoother.

Anyway, since we have the objective of trying to get Kaze and Azura* as many kills as reasonably practical, we'll want to divide the enemy into chunks that the team can handle without Corrin getting involved---but RNG is a fickle mistress, so you'll still want to keep her nearby for security in case some KOs don't work out. This means we'll be using Divide and Conquer for the first wave and Fighting Retreat for the second wave.

*Technically Azura will never have exp issues, since I can just dance abuse her to an arbitrary level, but getting her into combat is still nice for some weapon exp, and just because I don't care about turn count doesn't mean I enjoy spamming dance and end turn.

Divide and Conquer is a really fancy name for 'just kill half of them at a time.' And there's two choices for how you divide the first wave. The left side has the easier units to deal with, since they're both melee and both utter losers, so if you rush left and kill them first you have better odds of killing them off without wasting so much time and healing resources that the right side catches up and forces Corrin to contribute. On the other hand, if you go the right side first you can abuse the fact that the left side are losers, and just have Corrin with her breath weapon un-equipped face-tank them until you're ready for them.

Either way is fine, but I went left side first. No real reason.

Fighting Retreat is another fancy name, this time for 'just kill them while they're chasing you.' Because people can't stand in the same place, as long as you properly control how fast you retreat, you can near perfectly control how many enemies engage you at once, letting you pick and choose your fights almost as if one large clump of enemies is actually just a bunch of small groups.

Miscellaneous Notes:

C17FCzY.png

Effective Weapons have triple MT against things they're effective against, and in-effective weapons have -4 MT and -10 Hit. So a Wyrmslayer is slightly worse than an Iron Sword when hitting anything except Corrin.

Another minor note. Magic isn't so much 'effective' against Corrin as 'not useless.' It still takes 3 hits to kill her with magic, so as long as you don't just ram her into 4 mages or something she shouldn't be in any real danger from mages.

The map:

VPntZi2.png  sj1E6wo.png

o1pvnDe.png

Gotta go fast. Pair'd Sakura with Kaze and then split them off here, where Kaze is in dance range of Azura. Then I paired Rinkah with Kaze, danced him, and moved him into range of exactly one of the mercenaries. (They hit for 14 damage or something even after Sakura's -2 damage buff, two hits and Kaze goes down.)

Then I moved Corrin over just in case her dragon form still gave support level bonuses. (I don't mean the stat bonuses, I mean the small +Hit, +Crit, +Avoid etc. bonuses that you get when people stand next to each other.) Also grabbed the Vulnerary Kaze was holding and moved it to Corrin's inventory while I'm at it.

kSXU0M2.png

First move of turn 2. The red threat line is furthest the right side can reach, so we still have a full turn before we have to care about them, as long as we position properly. There's like a 8% or something chance Kaze misses the ORKO here, which would force me to kill the full hp Mercenary with Corrin, but that didn't happen.

8MpDF7V.png  2OzK242.png

Kaze got to full shield gauge from the other fight, so I had him attack in melee range after healing him with Sakura. (I was considering letting the mercenary fight Azura for some weapon exp.)

Decided against it in the end since low hp Azura would be in risk of getting ORKOd by the right side mage, and moved Corrin down to body block for her.

iPZgZDK.png  KGaRSlE.png

Lacking other options outside of committing suicide by Corrin, the Mercenary smacked Kaze for a bunch of damage and died to his counter, giving us this... still very Kaze level, to be honest. His growths are pretty good in general, with Def as his only real weakness. His luck stat is also pretty bad, but that one's a lot easier to fix.

5LHEbNT.png

Kaze didn't have 100% accuracy unless he was next to other people* (even if you don't have support levels, you still get the 0-rank support bonus of 10% hit per nearby unit, divided by 2.5 if there's more than 1 nearby unit), so I spend his Shield Guage & Azura's dance to KO this guy, with Sakura healing him out of OHKO range afterwards.

*Technically he's 'next to' Rinkah, but when you pair up you lose your normal yellow stat (things like +hit, +crit, +avo) support bonus stats for +5 dodge, which doesn't exactly help you hit things better.

nRXjSiP.png  s5mW20v.png

Sakura had exactly enough hp to survive the mage with 1 hp, leading us to this turn. Strictly speaking I should've just danced Kaze and had him take the exp, since weapon exp doesn't matter that much, and Azura could always dance abuse, but that's neither here nor there.

4obGiBG.png

All aggro'd units were dead after that, so I took a few turns setting things up like this. Kaze chugged the Hp tonic, incidentally. (I don't think he needed it, but I didn't bother doing the math for the combats, and it's always nice to have that extra bit of bulk.)

As you can see, exactly 2 mages will hit Kaze, which he easily survives. He doesn't manage any ORKOs, though.

Also note Corrin and Azura hanging out near the top of the map, casually camping a mage's spawn point.

Aym9r0W.png  GnimjDN.png

It should be possible to have Kaze kill literally everything except the boss on this map, but killing the mages up here will make the whole fighting retreat thing tons simpler, so I do that. Then I dance her left to do the same thing to the left mage next turn.

Kaze's Shield Gauge filled up the last round, and he can't be 2RKOd, so it's perfectly safe for him to fight 3 mages this turn, killing the two that were already low.

2mXn46c.png HSi5evh.png

Which gives him a Kaze level, except for the point of Def.

gpcAM6y.png

Kill mage, dance Corrin, heal Kaze, who finishes off the one mage he didn't manage to kill on enemy phase.

R1RKvXT.png  gRDcLMI.png

A level I wouldn't mind on literally anyone. Pity we won't be seeing her again. (On our side, anyway. We'll probably leave her as the only survivor the very next map.)

PgX2STW.png

End of turn positioning. Corrin's toeing the danger line in case I need her to breathe on someone, and Sakura's casually providing her -2 damage buff. (Quiet Strength is low key one of the best personal traits.) Not that Kaze needed it, since he dodged the merc pair's sword.

rSPLtvF.png  yqEbeP0.png

Since he was full hp, it meant I could play greedy and have Kaze fight both the merc and the mage without worrying about him dying, so I used his turn to finish off the weakened half of the merc pair, getting this very nice level.

Kaze's pretty blessed at this point, I think, too bad we won't see him again for ages. (Also too bad the 6 level ups he gets between now and when he rejoins are low-rolls for his stat growths, unlike Gunter who gets some freakish levels.)

hJIKpPw.png

End of turn. Pretty easy to feed Kaze every single kill that's left, now, meaning we only lost the two mages Corrin ate.

WhqiI6z.png  xx8upTs.png

niNkEdD.png

Kaze actually crit-killed the mage he fought on the enemy phase, meaning I had a unit-turn free to smack the mage on the left after killing the merc and dancing him. (I double checked that Azura would survive before dancing, though---if she was going to get OHKOd I'd have Corrin eat the mage.)

hKEsVpv.png

Doop, doop, pointless Azura exp coming through. (Also some weapon exp, of course.)

gjsS9fz.png

Nobody left except the boss, so i took a few turns walking down. Corrin managed the 69% on the very first hit---if you're absolutely insane you can have 3 units stand next to Corrin before she attacks, which would give her 10 * 3 / 2.5 = 12% extra hit chance, in exchange for losing 1 unit instantly if you fail the roll. You can also have 2 units stand next to her and then dance her with Azura if she missed, but even that's pretty sketchy.

Assuming, that is, Corrin's dragon form gets support bonuses---I don't play with combat animations so I don't see the pretty yellow +stat letters.

5FwhjO0.png  os0gd6N.png

Anyway, the boss kill gave us this level. Which, incidentally, is also why you might prefer to wait on the Goddess Icon before using it on Corrin.

7TE0bC5.png

As you can see, 24 is capped luck, meaning there's a pretty good chance that even if you would've gotten a level of luck, it'd just hit the cap and disappear rather than transferring over to her human form. (I'm not 100% sure on this, of course, it's possible that the devs actually thought of this and wrote code to give you back that point of luck, but I doubt it.)

BffU0QO.png

Edit: Derp, Azura's levels completely slipped my mind, apparently. I straight up forgot to take her level 2 screenshot, and didn't post her level 3. Fortunately, with the power of Lunatic's fix'd growths, I can get the level up screen for her level 2. (Although not in the same situation---I just danced for it.)

...Or so I thought.

uD39qU8.png 6zEf8rS.png

Here's her level 3 screen from my original chapter 5.

gDPuUMC.png  VHRWaee.png

Here's her level 2 screen from the save file.

Ugh, I hope this isn't caused by Luma3DS or anything.

Double Edit: Then again, this is Azura's recruitment map, so maybe that's what's causing this.

Edited by DehNutCase

Chapter 6:

Pre-map Planning:

yL6Fj6U.png

For some reason, the technically first (or maybe 0th?) map of Conquest is freakishly easy---probably the easiest of the 3 'choose your path' maps. You wouldn't think so, since Ryoma usually has the stats to ORKO everyone except Xander, and his high avoid can sometimes have him chipping Xander down without taking any damage, but Ryoma is amazingly polite for a boss unit, and only attacks people other than Xander if Xander isn't in range.

Of course, you only need to defeat all but one enemy, so you can usually just finish everyone else off instead trying to kill him.

Objectives: Get as much exp as possible.

Everyone except Sakura gives decent exp on his map, on account of all of them being more or less 'boss' units, even if drastically scaled down in stats. Since Sakura pretty much doesn't give exp, this means we'll leave her alive, and kill Takumi, Hinoka, Ryoma, and... Yukimura. (One of those was not like the others.) Everyone except Ryoma can fairly safely be fought down by Jakob and Corrin, so this map actually has a nice chunk of exp despite having only 4 'real' enemies.

Healing Resources: 40 uses of Heal. (Jakob starts with a brand new Heal staff here, so if you wanted to optimize a 'lead in' run, you should use up all 20 of his heal staff uses in Chapter 3.) Elise's heal staff uses also don't count---in the same way Jakob got a brand new staff, she'll get brand new staves when she joins as well, so feel free to use up all 20 heal staves if you want.

Not much strategy needed for this map, really. Ryoma starts aggro'd, but Yukimura doesn't move unless you get into his range, meaning it's pretty simple to only fight 1 set of units at a time, and obviously we start with Hinoka and Takumi since they're the only ones actually in range. The fact that we can easily get our whole team together but the enemy can't is 'key' to this map, if I can say that with a straight face on one of the easiest maps in the game.

The map:

1ECC2pM.png  NwCRSRa.png

Pretty standard opening if you care about exp. Takumi has a bow, and Hinoka has a lance, so the only way to get combat exp on enemy phase is have someone with a 1-2 range weapon stand in range of the two of them. So that means Jakob, and I sit Leo next to him for the support bonus +hit. (Not sure if he gets this +hit, tbh, since it's not really the 'real' Leo, and I don't have animations on.)

We'll want someone other than Xander to kill Ryoma eventually, and it's a bit inconvenient to swim, so we Dragon Vein the river away so Xander can start running down. And we use Camilla for this because Elise's free heal staves is more useful than Rose's Thorns & the option of kill stealing myself.

AFL0HfQ.png  V3s32Bc.png

As you can see, Takumi hits for an outrageous 18 damage a hit. Which would be lethal this turn if it wasn't for the fact that Lily's Poise is pretty damn good---I could also chug a Vulnerary, but screw that. (I still like Quiet Strength better, since you have better spacing options, but all 4 sisters have top tier personal skills.) Also note how Camilla is in range of Ryoma's sword. But Ryoma only has eyes for Xander so it's fine.

We're backing off so that Elise doesn't get caught in the carnage while we try to turn the Hinoka-Takumi pair-up into a Hinoka solo.

UyGgl7r.png u5A6N36.png

Note how completely not guaranteed this kill was, if we missed... I would actually still do the exact same next move, to be honest. Other than the part where I use a freeze staff for the 67% chance of -20 avoid, of course. Wouldn't want Elise to get shot.

If I thought this up sooner I would've moved Leo before attacking, since Heartseeker would give us another 20% hit chance, but it doesn't really matter either way.

ojISxKv.png  Hqo1IZ8.png

As you can see from the fact that no one on my team is currently chunky salsa, Ryoma literally never goes for anyone but Xander if Xander is available.

YPiML9v.png 5DLDpiZ.png

Picture in case you were doubting his ability to turn my entire team into salsa.

The box trap was actually necessary, incidentally, Ryoma would try to run out of Heartseeker's range if possible, meaning his sky high avoid would remain sky high. A few turns of spamming end turn and Ryoma ended at 1 hp. (Lily's Poise was responsible for this, normally Ryoma would have 3 hp after 2 combats with Xander.)

emtUd5p.png  gVE8UbY.png

Corrin had very nice odds, but there's something like a .21% chance that she'll miss and then get slaughtered by a crit, so I used Jakob to finish Ryoma instead.

In retrospect, I also could've just moved everyone next to Corrin for more hit chance.

lRRaMzS.png  x5CjL4f.png

Ryoma was worth an enormous amount of exp, naturally, getting Jakob this near perfect level.

rYxWZm8.png

And here we have the anti-Yukimura hugbox, with an hilarious 4 units of 10 * 4 / 2.5 = 16% extra hit chance. (And also 4 more damage dealt, 4 less damage taken.)

MeYLZLc.png  pfVr9XA.png

A doop, and a doop. (Using dragonstone since the weapon triangle disadvantage would've put my hit odds at less than 100%)

QTeMZKP.png  aICok72.png

A nice, short, chapter with a pair of great levels despite only having 4 enemies to fight.

82IEt89.png

Edited by DehNutCase

Intermission:

dJJ1eHi.png

With the end of Chapter 6, my castle is unlocked, so we'll be taking a short break to discuss a few things now that we actually have a reason to discuss them. Namely, stuff like my stance on visiting castles, buying skills, DLC maps and so on.

How you play the game has a big effect on how units would be ranked, if we played a version of Conquest where you had infinite stat boosters, free class changes, and full access to skills, then units would only be ranked on availability, and Corrin wins by default. (Stat caps sort of matter still, but not even Lunatic Conquest has that much stats. Azura would also be a contender, since Dance is very useful, but you can't be good if you don't exist, so...)

To put it another way, 'good' units are more about having stuff that you're 'not supposed to have' than anything else.

If you allow buying skills, for example, then Felicia loses her biggest edge against everyone else, namely, her standout skill pool and access timing. She has tome-breaker and shuriken-breaker naturally, just to name a pair of interesting skills, and can A+ support Flora for bow-breaker---you can also marry her off to Odin or Leo, of course. And, being one of the Felicia, Jakob, Gunter trio, she's one of the very few characters that can grab level 15 skills early, so early that she can easily grab multiple level 15 skills in a single run without massive degeneracy.

Of course, commonly when people rate units they make a couple of assumptions (and I usually provide ratings based on those assumptions, even though that's not the rating those units would receive in my runs---since I don't use those assumptions):

• No DLC.
  • Lunatic difficulty.
  • No castle visits.
  • No bonus items from battle/visit points and the # of paths you bought.
  • Somewhat efficient turns. (That is, you don't do stuff like how I spent 26 turns doing chapter 3, or dance abusing Azura to level 40 on chapter 9 or some nonsense.)

The above isn't a gold standard or anything, but I think most people use something similar when rating units. And my person rules for this run are:

• All the DLC. (I have only one 'paid' map, which is Vanguard. But even the 3 free maps gives you enough stuff to drastically change things.)
  • Whatever difficulty I feel like.
  • As much castle visits as I want.
  • No skill buys.*
  • All the bonus items I can get.
  • As much turns as I care to spend.

*I have nothing against skill buys, and I think it's very neat that you'd get to trade gold for skill acquisition like that---I'm even fine with hacked skills like putting Aptitude on first gen units. I just don't buy skills because it makes class access kind of pointless---just picking the best unit in the best class and then use gold to kit them out is... boring, and it destroys a lot of unit identity when you pretty much don't care what classes they have access to. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm planning a Vantage abuse run this time I might've gone even deeper try a no class change at all run, just for a more traditional FE feel.

Tfi44t0.png  b8GSrzR.png

0aTJ4XQ.png  BRjsmXl.png

As you can see, I have enough battle and visit points to get 1 of every stat booster except dragon herbs, which I have 2 copies of, 3 boots, and a whole bunch of good early/mid-game weapons. (Which kind of destroys the economy since I'm pretty much set on healing for ages, and can sell a bunch of my weapons/staves/whatever for gold if I feel strapped, destroying a lot of Conquest's difficulty.*)

*Sorry if you were reading this to look for Lunatic Conquest tips, lul.

Not to mention my infinite Vanguard class changes, 2 Dread Fighter & Dark Flier changes, a Lodestar change, a Great Lord change, and a Witch change. (Nothing wrong with Ballistician, by the way.) Having these scrolls make Felicia and Jakob a lot less dominant, incidentally, since you can use them to give anyone 2nd Tier bases and stat caps, as well as their 'bonus' level between 20 and 21.* You also pick up some nice skills to close the cap in skill access timings.

*You'd think 1st Tier stat caps aren't that bad, but then you're probably not a filthy casual like me who likes to stuff Corrin with +4 all stats immediately.

But, of course, I left the biggest thing for last. (Yes, even bigger than the +4 all stats I have in stat items.)

pl3PQsT.png

The Paragon Scroll. It probably doesn't do exactly what you think it does, but what it does is pretty stupid good.

First of all, the Paragon Scroll has two 'modes,' one before the unit it's on reaches par level (that is, around the level of your 'main' team), and one afterwards. Everyone probably already have a really good idea of what the first mode does, but slightly undervalue it.

You'd think the first mode halves the time it takes for a unit that's behind to become 'useful,' but it's actually a bit (maybe even quite a bit) better than that. This is kind of obvious, but the units you fight get more stats the more of them you kill---you can't just farm the same map forever, so enemy stats will keep going up as you kill them. The fact that you need to kill less of them before reaching parity with your main team means that you start contributing as much as your main team a bit before the halfway mark.

This is also, incidentally, more or less the exact same thing as being a pre-promote with actual bases. (So you can think of people like Camilla, Xander, Leo as having a bit more than half a Paragon skill for free---a bit more than half since they actually start over-leveled, meaning you can pretend that they kept Paragon for a bit past their joining time.)

The second mode is a bit more subtle, and requires math. Namely, once you've reached parity, Paragon lets you run .5 more units in your 'main' team than normal, whatever 'normal' means for you.

I'm sure everyone knows that the less units you run, the higher level the units you do run are. (Until you hit Lunatic's exp caps, of course---it's pretty harsh about this, so it's kind of difficult to get more than 5 levels above the enemy unit levels unless you do degenerate stuff.)

If we do it in math terms, it goes sort of like this:

We have X exp available from whatever playstyle you use (whether it's 'kill everything that breathes' for maximum exp or 'bum rush the boss ASAP'), to be divided amongst Y units. Your main team's level would then be whatever X/Y exp gets you. If you have 2 people on your team with paragon then you can have 1 more person on your team and still have everyone on your team being at the exact same level.

Why two rather than one, even though paragon doubles your exp? Well, it's because math is a bitch. If your Paragon unit killed the exact same amount as before then you'd get an extra X/Y exp, which is obviously enough to support another full unit. But they don't, they don't need half the amount of kills as before, so you only get X/Y * 1/2 extra exp, which can only support half an extra unit.

On the plus side, math also makes Nobility quite a bit better than you'd think. 3 copies of Nobility (from Corrin and her 2 kids) looks like they should only be 60% as good as a Paragon scroll, since you only get 20% * 3 = 60% extra exp, but they're actually exactly as good. 1/(1 - 1/1.2) = 6, that is, you need 6 units with Nobility to get an extra unit slot, and, since you need 2 Paragon scrolls for an extra unit slot, this makes 3 copies of nobility = 1 copy of Paragon.

Alternatively you can do the math like this:

Nobility units need 1 / 1.2 = 0.83333333333 the normal amount of kills to reach the same level, meaning each unit with Nobility generates 0.83333333333 * .2 = 0.16666666666 extra exp compared to normal.

.166 repeating is pretty obviously 1/6, so 3 copies of it gives 3 * 1/6 = 1/2 extra exp. That is, half a unit's worth of exp.

So yeah, if you want to use extra units, prioritize pre-promotes, Nobles, and Paragon.

And, as a minor---and hopefully obvious---note. Every unit you don't run is a copy of Paragon. Since you ran 1 less unit, it means you have X/Y extra exp to give out, and giving all of that to one unit is functionally equivalent to having a Paragon scroll on that unit. (And yes, math is unfair like that in how you have to drop a full unit to get Paragon, but having Paragon only gives you half a unit.)

Chapter 7:

Pre-map Planning:

ViIQeDI.png  509zdWp.png

Ah, the first real map of Conquest, and actually a step down in difficulty compared to earlier maps since I'm loaded with all sorts of stuff that I'm not supposed to have yet. (And, fittingly, I get my first 'moral' reset here---I should've lost Jakob, but RNJesus saved my ass.)

Supports: Jakob and Corrin C level'd, which is pretty much guaranteed considering they went through a lot of prologue stuff together.

Objectives: Get as much exp as possible for Corrin & Jakob.

Due to Conquest being so stingy about exp, you usually can't even afford to keep half your maximum deployment on par with enemy levels, meaning you really want to limit how many units you run unless you're doing stuff like the exp DLC map. Not to say you can't do stuff like 0% growths even on Lunatic* (and therefore no exp needed, obviously), but not having to calculate combat math precisely is pretty damn handy if you're trying to do a relaxed run. I'm leveling Corrin because I'm not a masochist, and leveling Jakob is kind of important in a run where I'm trying to abuse him, so all the exp will be going to those two.

*Although I'm not sure how you'd do that, since level ups are fixed. Guess you can hack the game or something.

Healing Resources: No longer a real concern, although it's still nice to keep track of the people who can heal. At the start of the map that's only Jakob, before Elise joins a few turns later.

A quick look around our starting almost island shows that there are 3 entryways to the island, a bridge 2 squares wide going to the west, and then two 1 square wide isthmi going north and south. We're also hilariously out-numbered, like Corrin comments after the first turn. No biggie, since the enemies are scaled very low just in case you changed gender or something at the branch of fate, which would've reset your servant's level to 1 and maybe even Corrin's as well, but don't quote me on the Corrin thing. On the other hand, just about everyone on the map does a bunch of post-combat damage, which is why I almost lost Jakob.

Anyway, since the map has so much enemies, you'll want to divide them into nice, small, edible chunks. The most obvious way is to sit on your island and just body block all 3 entry paths using 4 units, but that leaves the team pretty separated and prone to getting screwed by RNG, so a better move would be to attack one of the three entryways, wipe out everyone in that direction, and then hold that single entryway with your team in a nice, compact formation.

Any of the three directions can work, although personally I'd suggest against going bottom, since that's where the boss is---you both want to save the boss for last for exp reasons, since it's the highest level, and also because the boss is the one unit that can give you the most trouble if you're trying to kill him before shit hits the fan.

The choice between top and left mostly comes down to whether you prefer getting started sooner (you can begin combats on the first turn if you head left), or if you prefer a narrower pass to defend. (1 square isthmus rather than 2 square bridge.)

I went left, but honestly it doesn't matter too much no matter what direction you choose.

Resource Distribution:

lDq2baZ.png  lJpVYqn.png

As you can see, I didn't actually stuff Corrin with a bunch of stat boosters like I'd normally do. (I didn't even stuff the pair with tonics, even though I opened the staff shop already.) Part of it is because I don't need to, the kid gloves are still on + I got a bunch of damn good early game weapons from visit and battle points, and another part is because I kind of want to hold them for Selena. (I'll probably end up using them on someone else to have an easier time with Chapter 10, though.)

Corrin's holding a nice +3 def sword (there's also a +20 avoid sword available, but she doesn't care too much about dodge tanking), and Jakob's holding a nice collection of daggers, one of which is doubling as a Vulnerary. (Corrin isn't holding any healing items since she can just grab them from the Convoy.) Kagero's Dart is pretty neat since it gives +20 Avoid and a -5 skill penalty when it hits on top of the normal +2 shuriken speed, meaning anyone holding it turns into a dodge tank automatically, but you really shouldn't rely on it unless you're named Felicia---or bought a bunch of breaker skills.

[Off-topic incoming, feel free to skip to the map if you don't care about me talking about random stuff]

...It's pretty hard being Selena, to be honest, she has a lot of things going for her, and Camilla going against her. Camilla has her beat by ~20% in just about every growth that matters (Selena wins in defense, which is kind of a small consolation when you're getting dumpstered in everything else) and Camilla even starts 10 levels above her just to rub it in. You need to devote a Paragon, two Dragon Herbs, and a bunch of kills just to get her on par with Camilla.

If Selena at least had 20% lead in Def and Res then there's some real neat things she can do with her access to Bows (which easily fixes her mediocre Atk stat), Air Superiority, and Shuriken-breaker (which make her real nice when fighting fliers and ninjas, some of the most annoying unit types in the game). A high bulk Bow user can be pretty damn nice for Attack Stance, you sit someone with 1-2 range in front of her and sit her behind, meaning no matter who the enemy attacks they'll get smacked around---the guy in front blocks the melee attack. But the problem is that Camilla's spread means that's not actually a real niche---if you really wanted someone to do that you can just grab Mercenary from a A+ Selena support and have Camilla do it.

Which isn't to say Selena's bad, of course. I don't think anyone in Conquest is bad, except maybe Mozu---her stats actually end up pretty mediocre even at level cap, thanks to her atrocious bases---but just about everyone in Conquest is out-classed by the Royals + Servants.

Note: It's a handy rule of thumb to just eat stat boosters as soon as possible, a stat booster sitting in the inventory is a stat booster that's doing all of jack all. Corrin is always available to eat + benefit. This isn't always the 100% optimal choice, but it'll always be the pretty damn good choice.

The map:

j4TrdJO.png  7qq6wTG.png

I had Jakob hold Kagero's Dart since the +2 speed let him double the Faceless.

eofat1D.png  b52kDTf.png

No KOs on enemy phase, but as you can see Nohrian Blade's +3 def means that Corrin takes piddly damage, meaning it's pretty safe to start the turn with her trying to kill someone, and finishing the other guy off with Jakob if she manages. (Supportive being damn strong means that even if she missed there's no real issue---the sole Faceless won't do enough damage to kill Jakob.)

BsIBRml.png  

Silas and Elise join up at this point, so I have Jakob head to join them in case they need his support, he also conjurs some fruit out of thin air to heal himself.

TgdNPfM.png  nwAi5XO.png

Silas' sword does 12 damage, which is exactly enough to 2RKO the faceless after you factor in Lily's Poise, but I usually use the lance here to let him build some WExp even if I'm not planning to use him.

And Elise heals him to full because Silas kind of needs Corrin below half hp if you want him to face tank two Faceless in one turn without being full hp. (Minor note: I was pretty surprised when I found out it didn't matter where Corrin was for his personal to activate, as long as she was below half hp.)

NRPqQFH.png

Corrin with her Dragonstone to continue grinding the left side down. The dragonstone is a 2HKO versus the 3HKOs with her sword, and she's not fast enough to double any faceless anyway. Also, it turns out I don't actually have every single stat booster from my visit\battle points, I'm missing Speedwings, lul.

6YQThbA.png

Next turn, and Effie + Arthur joins us for the fun. No need to care about the Island now that everyone's on the map, so the whole gang starts the march leftward.

Also: Good old armor'd unit stats. (And Elise being so great if you can handle her positioning requirements.)

cy5OK85.png  B5RhW1A.png

zeNElOV.png

And Jakob smacks the faceless around for an almost perfect level, both him and Kaze are pretty blessed so far, although Corrin's actually slightly below average, I believe.

EOqFqHe.png

As you can see, we have the bridge more or less secured at this point---and we can do a 4 unit choke-point hold in the middle of the bridge if we wanted. (Arthur was also 1% dead in this screenshot, incidentally.)

P7keadm.png

Good old 1% chance to randomly explode to a generic. This doesn't actually hold him back all that much, thanks to the easy availability of dodge supports---Keaton gives 10 dodge if him and Arthur are A-ranked and standing next to each other, for example, and there's also the more obvious stuff like using Arthur with his kid or shoving a bunch of Goddess Icons down his throat.

I don't actually do the attack, incidentally, more important to keep going left.

6zQyYCg.png  T4k3RZV.png

The Faceless pair-up is a real grind considering the Seal Spd + blocking Attack Stance hits.

3Zki17t.png

Everyone's on the bridge at this point, left side is almost cleared, and note how Effie is blocking for Arthur so he doesn't randomly explode to RNG.

ZwUrfMI.png  pILvR7O.png

And here I do something retarded---Jakob was fine thanks to the -5 damage from Corrin's Supportive, Elise's Poise, and being healed... if the 2 faceless left only had Grisly Wound. But they had Poison Strike on top of that so he was dead as a doornail if he hadn't managed to dodge one of their hits. He wasn't even holding Kagero's Dart (since the Seal Speed meant he wouldn't double, and the Dart wasn't a OHKO), so this was extra stupid.

Moral Reset Count: 1

He should've died this turn.

TGrijMm.png

But RNJesus delivered, so now we have this formation easily holding the bridge after we finished off the two Faceless.

WupAdPh.png 

Don't really need any exp on Effie, so I un-equip her lance. (Despite my fears of needing to use stat boosters on someone other than Selena for chapter 10, I'm not actually that worried, so I'm not going to give exp to people I'm not planning to use for the long haul.) We also pair her up with Silas for the very nice +2 def.

GLNUbE7.png  xSqwYeJ.png

A fight on EP gives Corrin this basically perfect level.

om01qge.png

And then I adjust my formation a little so that both Effie and Corrin can benefit from Lily's poise. Unfortunately, the positioning requirements means that I have to choose between giving Corrin Jakob's support or giving Effie Jakob's -2 damage buff. I gave Corrin his support since it meant he can contribute some chip damage on his turn.

V3chXpL.png  bD5EkNj.png

This is 100% safe, incidentally. The enemies only have 19 Atk and you can't see her +3 def from Lily's Poise. I have the boss high-lighted as a reminder that there is one guy we do have to be mindful of.

buCdBlR.png

And only one guy. All the post-combat damage in the world isn't going to help if you smack for 0s all around.

iu3TyiT.png  j3dVgQI.png

I do heal Effie this turn, though, because like the red outline indicates the boss is in range now, and I wasn't confident enough that the AI wasn't going to do something like walk away to have the boss kill Effie. I also gave Effie her lance back at this point to make things go a bit faster.

IJiy14i.png  pKRllDM.png

Surprisingly, the boss actually had a lower attack priority than the mooks, even though he was the only one who did damage, so it wasn't until this point that he moved in. I'm hitting him with Kagero's dart so that the -5 skill makes him miss more.

2gYK25T.png  V20VbQ7.png

He was hitting way lower than expected near the end, so I ended up actually checking his stuff---turns out, his hands are made of silver. I let Jakob finish him because Corrin would've OHKOd, but this way they both get some exp.

pVOweq4.png  25z9c1J.png

Just in: Daggers can't not get good levels.

rDxNo83.png

End of chapter screenshots are hard, okay? (The key combo to enter the Luma3DS screen is L + Down + Select, and Select also makes the end of chapter screenshot go away.)

ZwRDuNv.png  SUwmsUx.png

Support levels after the map. (I don't think Jakob is supposed to be B right now, normally, but I used the my room interaction thing to get some relationship points with him before I started the map.)

Edit:

toS1nI1.png

Also I missed an Effie level up. her bases are: 23/13/0/8/5/10/12/4, meaning she got +1 Hp/Str/Def/Res, which was only missing speed to be a basically perfect level. (This def level is also why she was taking 0s without Jakob's -2 damage buff---normally she'd take 1 even after pairing her with Silas.) Double Edit: Actually I'm just terrible at math, 12 + 2 (from her level 1 skill) + 2 (from pairing with Silas) + 3 (Lily's Poise) = 19 exactly. She's fine even at level 6.

Edited by DehNutCase

5 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

[Off-topic incoming, feel free to skip to the map if you don't care about me talking about random stuff]

...It's pretty hard being Selena, to be honest, she has a lot of things going for her, and Camilla going against her. Camilla has her beat by ~20% in just about every growth that matters (Selena wins in defense, which is kind of a small consolation when you're getting dumpstered in everything else) and Camilla even starts 10 levels above her just to rub it in. You need to devote a Paragon, two Dragon Herbs, and a bunch of kills just to get her on par with Camilla.

If Selena at least had 20% lead in Def and Res then there's some real neat things she can do with her access to Bows (which easily fixes her mediocre Atk stat), Air Superiority, and Shuriken-breaker (which make her real nice when fighting fliers and ninjas, some of the most annoying unit types in the game). A high bulk Bow user can be pretty damn nice for Attack Stance, you sit someone with 1-2 range in front of her and sit her behind, meaning no matter who the enemy attacks they'll get smacked around---the guy in front blocks the melee attack. But the problem is that Camilla's spread means that's not actually a real niche---if you really wanted someone to do that you can just grab Mercenary from a A+ Selena support and have Camilla do it.

Which isn't to say Selena's bad, of course. I don't think anyone in Conquest is bad, except maybe Mozu---her stats actually end up pretty mediocre even at level cap, thanks to her atrocious bases---but just about everyone in Conquest is out-classed by the Royals + Servants.

Bold: If I may be honest, that's a very, very, VERY generous way of thinking, since Arthur and Charlotte both completely suck...

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Bold: If I may be honest, that's a very, very, VERY generous way of thinking, since Arthur and Charlotte both completely suck...

4 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

@DehNutCase Do what you must. Even if it is just using Charlotte and Arthur as guard stance fodder.

Mind, I do value guard stance fodder. They're a very exp efficient way to use up all the deployment slots you get. And when you're not using a unit for the long run there's some nice 'timing' promotions you can do like grinding Arthur up to level 10 before chapter 10 and promoting him to make the map a lot smoother.

I mean, maybe Conquest's balanced around you having all the child map exp---meaning you're not actually supposed to be that exp starved---but I'm not a fan of pairing all my 2nd and 3rd string characters up just for their child maps. The child maps are also kind of annoying in that it really feels likes you're only 'supposed' to play them when you have a mix between almost promoted units and some promoted units---like some kids straight up get ORKOd unless you rescue staff them if you go in too late in the game. Shiro has a map like that, I believe.

14 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

And my person rules for this run are:

• All the DLC. (I have only one 'paid' map, which is Vanguard. But even the 3 free maps gives you enough stuff to drastically change things.)
  • Whatever difficulty I feel like.
  • As much castle visits as I want.
  • No skill buys.*
  • All the bonus items I can get.
  • As much turns as I care to spend.

Oh, man! After loading a 42-Mb page with 183 images, I feel deceived! Ha ha ha. This should be in bold, at the top of the thread.

To be fair, the title reads "relaxed", but I thought that it meant "not turn-count efficient" or "with a couple of DLC-seals" or "with some castle visits"... but not all of  them together! You are basically re-playing Awakening with different units.

I do like the tone and the layout of your messages, but this certainly is not the kind of campaign that I would ever play.  Have fun, though!

14 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

*Sorry if you were reading this to look for Lunatic Conquest tips, lul.

Too late, mate. Too late.

52 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Mind, I do value guard stance fodder. They're a very exp efficient way to use up all the deployment slots you get. And when you're not using a unit for the long run there's some nice 'timing' promotions you can do like grinding Arthur up to level 10 before chapter 10 and promoting him to make the map a lot smoother.

I mean, maybe Conquest's balanced around you having all the child map exp---meaning you're not actually supposed to be that exp starved---but I'm not a fan of pairing all my 2nd and 3rd string characters up just for their child maps. The child maps are also kind of annoying in that it really feels likes you're only 'supposed' to play them when you have a mix between almost promoted units and some promoted units---like some kids straight up get ORKOd unless you rescue staff them if you go in too late in the game. Shiro has a map like that, I believe.

Personally, I don't care for deploying someone just because they're good guard stance fodder - you might as well warm the bench if you're only good for that. And frankly, I feel that promoting a unit I only plan to use for such does little other than hinder the units I actually do plan to use, because that's one less Master Seal for them to get when the time comes, in addition to, in the case you mentioned, Arthur being unreliable as hell.

I guess that's true to some extent. Ignatius is another one whose paralogue is flat-out poorly designed for lategame.

59 minutes ago, starburst said:

To be fair, the title reads "relaxed", but I thought that it meant "not turn-count efficient" or "with a couple of DLC-seals" or "with some castle visits"... but not all of  them together! You are basically re-playing Awakening with different units.

Honestly that's part of why I like Conquest a lot. Depending on the personal rules you use it actually plays like a bunch of different games. (Like I said, if I wasn't doing a Jakob Samurai abuse run I might've even done a no class change run just to see what it's like.)

But yeah, I'm kind of weird in that I'm both decently good at FE and don't particularly enjoy operating at the very highest difficulty.

That said, I'm probably going to leave Odin, Kaze, and Jakob alone in terms of the 'extra' stuff I got*---it wouldn't be a very fair test of the Samurai line if I went and stuffed them full of stat boosters and DLC-seals, after all.

*Aside from the weapons, anyway. Which I guess is actually pretty big since the castle visit stuff gives some very nice early game weapons. They've basically saved me something like 500g already, from a speed tonic I didn't have to use to make Jakob double, and a vulnerary use.

16 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

(I have only one 'paid' map, which is Vanguard. But even the 3 free maps gives you enough stuff to drastically change things.)

Wait, there are 3 fre ones? I only have one.

2 hours ago, DehNutCase said:

The child maps are also kind of annoying in that it really feels likes you're only 'supposed' to play them when you have a mix between almost promoted units and some promoted units---like some kids straight up get ORKOd unless you rescue staff them if you go in too late in the game. Shiro has a map like that, I believe.

It's only Shiro and Ignatius that have these issues. The rest don't need any extraordinary effort to safely recruit sans Rescue use. And even Ignatius isn't as bad as Shiro.

I prefer late-recruiting the kids as lategame filler with solid stats and no EXP necessary, but I love how flexible they are. Percy and Ophelia have great reasons to be done early- Gold and awesome tomes; and of course, Dwyer can be a little Jagen-ish with a nice promoted 15 skill inherited from daddykins.

Entrap is good for getting rid of the pressure on recruiting Forrest, and it is probably easier to get the stat boosters from Sophie's and Dwyer's battles if you do them sooner, but those are minor side objectives.

My only run of Lunatic needed BP/VP rewards (had much more than you, enough for a full magic weapon set, though I never grinded enough for the extra Dragonstone+), Chapter 7 was too difficult otherwise, and C10 was also very tight. So I get using them, toned things down enough to be bearable for me. Never finished the run though, stopped before Hinoka 2.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

I'm counting the Anna free stuff 'maps.' (They're not real maps, of course, but they give items so I counted them.)

I know she gives the awakening one but what about the other 2? I didn't know they existed, which are they?

4 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I know she gives the awakening one but what about the other 2? I didn't know they existed, which are they?

A Gift from Anna (gives you your choice of a Witch's Mark and a Sighting Lens) and Another gift from Anna (grants Paragon and Boots).

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's only Shiro and Ignatius that have these issues. The rest don't need any extraordinary effort to safely recruit sans Rescue use. And even Ignatius isn't as bad as Shiro.

Bold: In what way? Because if the guy that I'm supposed to protect has a non-trivial chance of dying before I can do anything to avert that, that's awful, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. It's like HHM Battle Before Dawn all over again...

Edited by Shadow Mir