The Meaning of Id in the OST

Ashpho

I was listening to the Awakening soundtrack earlier today and when I got to Id(Sorrow) I noticed that whenever the Id track, and it's variations, play it's always when Robin is involved and the particular variation playing is reflective of the situation. For those who don't know the Id is part of Freudian Psychology and is representative of desires and hidden memories. 

Examples would be:

Id(Serenity): this mostly plays when Robin is at peace or has attained an S-Support and represents their desire for peace and love. 

Id(Beginnings): This plays at the very beginning of the game, the main menu, creating your Avatar, etc. It represents the repressed memories and amnesia Robin has at the beginning of the game.

Id(Purpose): This plays only during the Endgame. It reveals Robin's desire to kill Grima and the resolve they have to sacrifice themselves for peace. Fittingly, after defeating Grima the Serenity variation plays.

Thoughts? I personally thought this was genius and each variation fit the situation well. On top of this it's a clever way of giving Robin a bit more depth than the main game gave him. 

I was listening to the Awakening soundtrack earlier today and when I got to Id(Sorrow) I noticed that whenever the Id track, and it's variations, play it's always when Robin is involved and the particular variation playing is reflective of the situation. For those who don't know the Id is part of Freudian Psychology and is representative of desires and hidden memories. 

Examples would be:

Id(Serenity): this mostly plays when Robin is at peace or has attained an S-Support and represents their desire for peace and love. 

Id(Beginnings): This plays at the very beginning of the game, the main menu, creating your Avatar, etc. It represents the repressed memories and amnesia Robin has at the beginning of the game.

Id(Purpose): This plays only during the Endgame. It reveals Robin's desire to kill Grima and the resolve they have to sacrifice themselves for peace. Fittingly, after defeating Grima the Serenity variation plays.

Thoughts? I personally thought this was genius and each variation fit the situation well. On top of this it's a clever way of giving Robin a bit more depth than the main game gave him. 

Themes used in this clever fashion are known as Leitmotifs. When used correctly, like you showed with Robin's theme "Id", they can greatly enhance the experience of the game (or movie; leitmotifs are prevalent in any media that involves music). Fire Emblem is known for it's use of leitmotifs, mainly starting with a simple theme and then having a battle theme being a faster, more intense version of that theme (variations like the Ablazed tracks in Awakening don't count. Those are an example of variable mix).

"Id" makes enough sense. The Japanese version is simply "I".

Edited by Baron the Shining Blade

6 hours ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Themes used in this clever fashion are known as Leitmotifs. When used correctly, like you showed with Robin's theme "Id", they can greatly enhance the experience of the game (or movie; leitmotifs are prevalent in any media that involves music). Fire Emblem is known for it's use of leitmotifs, mainly starting with a simple theme and then having a battle theme being a faster, more intense version of that theme (variations like the Ablazed tracks in Awakening don't count. Those are an example of variable mix).

"Id" makes enough sense. The Japanese version is simply "I".

I've never heard the term Leitmotifs used before, that's pretty cool. Time to add a new term to my dictionary :):