Weird Glitch I Found In Genealogy

Luis Liberato

So I was in the final chapter of Genealogy when I encountered something weird and wanted to know if any of you have experienced something similar. I used Altena to defeat Julius but once I was able to take control of her again her overworld was black and the audio cut out. Her sprite went back to normal once I moved her but still no audio and when I brought up the menu to have her wait a red line went across the screen. I had her wait and ended my turn and it moved on to Thracia's turn but it stayed on Arion. Like the game just froze but my units were doing that animation they do when you hover the cursor over them. 

That was pretty much it so I decided to load my save state and kill Julius with Seliph and everything was fine. Does anybody know what's up with this? I know there's a glitch that doesn't let you move beyond the player rank screen cause of the translation patch so could similar have happened here or is it just cause its an old SNES game.

Oh ya and one more weird thing happened. When Seliph said his goodbyes to the rest of the army some default villager was also there and Seliph referred to him as Sigurd and just talked to him like he was a normal guy. Could it be the ROM I have cause I don't know man it's kinda weird?

Sounds pretty funky to me. It might be the rom or translation that you're playing, but it might also be because the game probably intended for the player to use Seliph or Julia to defeat Julius, but don't quote me on the it.

Seems kinda similar to a bug I ran into (not the Sigurd part, but the other one), I think I will copy my old post about it for you to compare notes.

Spoiler

I have run into a strange bug while playing this game with this translation. If someone is able to Canto after killing Julius, after the events that occur if both Manfroy and Julia are still alive and enemies, the chapter's sound track becomes a distorted version of the the chapters theme (although the no enemy theme should be playing), and some inconsistent graphical bugs appear too. After a little messing around here are some things I have noticed about this bug:

I am fairly certain it involves Canto, I am able to trigger it with both a Mounted Seliph and Ares, while a dismounted Seliph and Faval will not

The distortion in music seems to specifically effect the chapter music, using a Staff, or having someone enter a castle, or participate in the arena seems to have the normal sounds play but even when it returns to the map, the music seems to still be distorted.

Ending the turn seems to fix this as long as the sound errors have not hit the point where the sound track cuts out or becomes static.

If the sound cuts out or becomes static, anything that changes the music that I have tried (using a staff, entering a castle or ending the turn and letting the NPC turn start) seems to soft-lock the game.

Edit: I have found another very strange effect of this bug, it seems to have the lingering  effect of setting every character's loss record to 132

I have included a .srm file for the save with the following instruction for reproducing the bug:

Start from the turn46 save for the epilogue chapter

Have Sleiph besiege Julius with the Tyrfing then Canto over to the other side of Lene

Have Shanan besiege Julius with the Balmung

Have Lene Dance in place.

Move Shanan away from the Castle entrance

Have Ares besiege Julius with the Mystletainn and Canto away*

From here Seliph can kill Julius if besieged with Tyrfing (Note that if Faval attacks Julius with the Yewfelle or if Seliph dismounts before besieging they will still get the kill but the bug will not be triggered)

After the clearing the dialogue boxes the bug is evident

*For Ares to kill Julius have Seliph besiege with Tyrfing, Canto away and then have Ares Besiege with the Mystletainn

Fire Emblem - Geneology of the Holy War.srm

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Seems kinda similar to a bug I ran into (not the Sigurd part, but the other one), I think I will copy my old post about it for you to compare notes.

Hide contents

I have run into a strange bug while playing this game with this translation. If someone is able to Canto after killing Julius, after the events that occur if both Manfroy and Julia are still alive and enemies, the chapter's sound track becomes a distorted version of the the chapters theme (although the no enemy theme should be playing), and some inconsistent graphical bugs appear too. After a little messing around here are some things I have noticed about this bug:

I am fairly certain it involves Canto, I am able to trigger it with both a Mounted Seliph and Ares, while a dismounted Seliph and Faval will not

The distortion in music seems to specifically effect the chapter music, using a Staff, or having someone enter a castle, or participate in the arena seems to have the normal sounds play but even when it returns to the map, the music seems to still be distorted.

Ending the turn seems to fix this as long as the sound errors have not hit the point where the sound track cuts out or becomes static.

If the sound cuts out or becomes static, anything that changes the music that I have tried (using a staff, entering a castle or ending the turn and letting the NPC turn start) seems to soft-lock the game.

Edit: I have found another very strange effect of this bug, it seems to have the lingering  effect of setting every character's loss record to 132

I have included a .srm file for the save with the following instruction for reproducing the bug:

Start from the turn46 save for the epilogue chapter

Have Sleiph besiege Julius with the Tyrfing then Canto over to the other side of Lene

Have Shanan besiege Julius with the Balmung

Have Lene Dance in place.

Move Shanan away from the Castle entrance

Have Ares besiege Julius with the Mystletainn and Canto away*

From here Seliph can kill Julius if besieged with Tyrfing (Note that if Faval attacks Julius with the Yewfelle or if Seliph dismounts before besieging they will still get the kill but the bug will not be triggered)

After the clearing the dialogue boxes the bug is evident

*For Ares to kill Julius have Seliph besiege with Tyrfing, Canto away and then have Ares Besiege with the Mystletainn

Fire Emblem - Geneology of the Holy War.srm

What I find interesting is that we both had Julia and Manfroy alive, I also had Ares attack Julius and use canto but other than that I don't think there was anything else though I may be wrong. I will try to recreate the bug and see if I can upload some screenshots. 

Actually, I now realize that I had Seliph attack Julius moved him beside Lene and had her dance in place. Instead of using Shannan I used Ulster.

I've actually had the Sigurd thing happen before (this is a typo that can occur, it's a bug where it loads this guy up despite the fact it shouldn't), though not the freezing glitch (I've had something that was somewhat similar (the screen glitched, but no crashing and the losses all got turned into the same number)) after killing with Seliph (but that's the canto bug, this is something new to me).

6 hours ago, Dayni said:

though not the freezing glitch (I've had something that was somewhat similar (the screen glitched, but no crashing and the losses all got turned into the same number)) after killing with Seliph (but that's the canto bug, this is something new to me).

I think the freezing is still a part of the Canto glitch, you just have to wait for the distorted audio to cutout before changing the music in any way, and then when it does change the game softlocks like he described.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:48 PM, indigocean said:

Sounds pretty funky to me. It might be the rom or translation that you're playing, but it might also be because the game probably intended for the player to use Seliph or Julia to defeat Julius, but don't quote me on the it.

Although they did add unique dialog for killing him with someone other than julia, so they at least planned for the possibility.