How did you find your hobbies and interests?

Fryer

I have some medical issues that have given me depression as a side effect. This is an issue I have struggled with for years; I am not very outgoing and the only interests I have are weightlifting (which I struggle with due to my condition) and watching Netflix. I have a poor sense of willpower though I am beginning to seek help for my issues. The people around me have advised that I should seek out new activities  in order to help cope though I can definitely say that is easier said than done. 

For those of you aren't glued to an electronic screen (I sincerely don't mean any offense), what interests do you have and how did you first get into it? I was never really into any form of sports as a child up until I started weightlifting, even then I spend I total of 4-5 hours per week and takes up very little of my time. 

One of my main hobbies is video games, and I got into it when I got a Nintendo DS for Christmas, although you seem to have a grudge against electronic screens, so I guess video games are out of the question.

Outside of that, listening to music is definitely a huge one for me. I got into that hobby due to my dad playing songs a lot on the radio in the car or on the stereo we have at home as I was growing up. He has too many CDs for me to count, and it still wouldn't be half of the CDs he owns. When I was younger, I would always ask for him to play Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz in the car, and he would always put it on, and if it just so happened to be on the radio, I would ask him to turn it up. Another song that I liked was Irresistible Force by Jane's Addiction because part of the song had sounded like part of a another song from Skyward Sword. I've formed the habit of listening closely to the lyrics of a song that I like but don't recognize so that way I can look it up later. I've had variable success.

Weightlifting is an excellent hobby to have. You've gotta be totally ripped by now. Are there any other kinds of exercise that you're into?

By actually trying something out. How else?

I don't mean to sound rude, but this is the only way I can imagine that someone "finds a new hobby or interest". I think an easy way for that is to talk with friends/family about what they're doing (or what they've been doing lately) and give them a chance to share their experiences with you.

29 minutes ago, indigocean said:

One of my main hobbies is video games, and I got into it when I got a Nintendo DS for Christmas, although you seem to have a grudge against electronic screens, so I guess video games are out of the question.

Outside of that, listening to music is definitely a huge one for me. I got into that hobby due to my dad playing songs a lot on the radio in the car or on the stereo we have at home as I was growing up. He has too many CDs for me to count, and it still wouldn't be half of the CDs he owns. When I was younger, I would always ask for him to play Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz in the car, and he would always put it on, and if it just so happened to be on the radio, I would ask him to turn it up. Another song that I liked was Irresistible Force by Jane's Addiction because part of the song had sounded like part of a another song from Skyward Sword. I've formed the habit of listening closely to the lyrics of a song that I like but don't recognize so that way I can look it up later. I've had variable success.

Weightlifting is an excellent hobby to have. You've gotta be totally ripped by now. Are there any other kinds of exercise that you're into?

I don’t hate on electronic screens (in fact I have a Switch and a 3DS) I just want to do something that involves other people and interactions.

Regarding lifting, I have hormonal issues that make it difficult to put on muscle or gain strength. Definitely not ripped, lol.

8 minutes ago, Fryer said:

I don’t hate on electronic screens (in fact I have a Switch and a 3DS) I just want to do something that involves other people and interactions.

Regarding lifting, I have hormonal issues that make it difficult to put on muscle or gain strength. Definitely not ripped, lol.

Don't worry, I'm just joking about the screen thing. It's definitely good to get away from it whenever you can. As for weightlifting and interactions with other people, you could always try hitting the gym with friends if you can. Of if you already go to the gym, drag your friends along with you.

There isn't really much other advice I can offer besides what @Rapier said, which is try something. Even if something sounds unappealing at first, at least give it a shot and see if you like it, but obviously don't do anything that you know is bad or sounds like it's bad. Ask friends and family what they like to do, and ask if you can join them sometime, but don't join them if they're doing bad stuff, like egging houses or something.

It'll be hard to find something new that you like, but you'll be glad once you do find it.

Try creating something!  Food is the cheapest, but there's also crafts (knitting, cross-stitch, woodworking, etc.).

I also enjoy reading a relatively mindless story.

You could do dancing, or hit up local board game nights around your town. There are usually regulars to those.

Also what Rapier said is pretty good. Asking a friend or family member is a good way to find new things. Plus chances are they will be more than happy to have you there.