Johan and Johalvier, Who do you prefer

Luis Liberato

So what I usually see is that people say that Johalvier(Lucharba) is the better unit stat wise while Johan(Luchar) is beloved for his character, but I would like to argue that Johalvier is the better of the two in terms of character. When I first played the chapter where you can either of the two I decided to go for Johan because I thought his art was cute and I heard that he was a better-written character. When I recruited him I got a rather sour taste in my mouth, I found it weird that despite the fact that he was on a battlefield his focus was Larcie. I restarted the chapter to see what Johalvier's recruitment is like and I actually preferred it by a lot. I liked that even though he loves Larcie, his focus is on his mission and the battle. I didn't even feel that bad killing Johan since he seemed a bit crazy like right after Larcie talks to his brother Johan's first thought is that the only thing left for him to do is to kill both of them? With Johalvier I enjoyed that he felt a bit betrayed and that he had to complete his mission. Another thing I would like to add I that Larcie kinda convinces Johalvier to join her side by telling him that it would benefit the people and that Seliph's army could bring an end to all the violence. It gives him a good bit of character and ya that's why I prefer Johalvier over his brother (plus you get Nosferatu)

Hope to hear what all of you think and who you prefer 

Edited by Luis Liberato

I like Iucharba's design and personality more, and it's interesting that he's the only Fighter in the game.

But Iuchar is just so much better as a unit. That horse is so valuable in FE4.

Horse guy. That's just the kind of game this is.

Of course I am bothered by the fact that Johan is a jackass who would murder his own brother and the rest of his family just to get laid. Johalva seems to actually genuinely be unhappy with the actions of his family. Not that this stops his from trying to kill his brother for the same shallow reason if you do pick Johan.

Oh yeah, and it's also stated that Johan even treats his own men like crap.

Edited by BrightBow

Iuchar is technically better by having a horse but he's so redundant and outclassed amongst all the other cavalry that why bother. Besides Iucharba's out of the way and easier for Larcei to get to, and I like him better as a character.

They don't call it Horse Emblem for nothing, although the horse in question is mediocre at best. With that said, Iucharba is who I choose when I go through the game. He has a niche that no other unit in the game has being a horseless axe user, so that makes him stand out more from his brother, whose class he shares with Lex.

It really comes down to whether you want the ultimate horse emblem experience, or an actually decent unit and character.

Horse emblem is horse emblem, and so Johan is better as a unit even if he might not have the best stats or weaponry.  Some say Johalva's better because you'll likely use neither of them for actual combat, so all you'd be considering him for is arena grinding for the purposes of getting that quad-A rank (which is true because Johalva has access to bows, which makes the arena a whole lot easier), but strictly speaking in terms of actually using them for chapters, Johan is better.

Personality-wise though, Johan's a total stinker.  This comes from a guy who really likes Virion.  Johan's the asshole variant of that character archetype, and he's extremely vapid with virtually nothing else to him as a character.  Both join you only because Larcei went and talked to one of them, and they both are jerks when they aren't talked to first.  However, with Johalva, it at least seems like the reason he joins is because Larcei helped him see what was wrong with Danan's rule.  Johan just joins because he wants to bang Larcei.

So yeah, I prefer Johalva, but Johan's better if you need a unit who will actually be able to fight on the battlefield.  Though honestly, I don't see much point in fielding Johan when you already have at least Seliph and Oifaye (and very likely many other good units).  At the end of the day, Johan is merely okay, and that's redundant in a sea of pretty good-to-outright godly units.

On my one playthrough of FE4, up to Chapter 10 right now, I picked Iucharba. Mostly because getting Nosferatu and him is quicker than Iuchar and Nosferatu (that'd require me letting Iuchar go alllllllll the way to Issach Castle if I have it right). And Nosferatu did this:

Spoiler

5c8ef06ae355b_Genealogy12019-03-1721_09_11.png.f74bf548b763b30794debf62416b72a2.png

Her stats don't matter, obviously they're good at that level. The killcount is the important thing here- Julia is a good Nostank.

And this was before she devoured a couple of Arion's personal goons.

I have trained up Iucharba though:

Spoiler

5c8ef0d167f3c_Genealogy12019-03-1721_08_32.png.38f4932fbb8fb469f6045202e30e8864.png

He is the only Fighter/Warrior you get in FE4, and the Brave Axe is almost exclusively his. So I felt compelled by pity to raise him up. He isn't impressive by any means, Warrior needs some awesome Class Skills for one, but he did promote in time to admirably defend Kathpogia from its Trinity Strike platoon; although an unpromoted yet trained Tine probably could've dodgetanked it the way her brother did at Meath with a Wind tome.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

On my one playthrough of FE4, up to Chapter 10 right now, I picked Iucharba. Mostly because getting Nosferatu and him is quicker than Iuchar and Nosferatu (that'd require me letting Iuchar go alllllllll the way to Issach Castle if I have it right).

Schmidt can do it better.

Edited by Tetragrammaton

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

The one with a horse.

Pretty much was my deciding factor.  I wish there were more Axe units, or at least a kid that Lex could pass his weapons down to.  I really wish you could recruit them both.  I'm not fond of the either/or Archetype.

17 hours ago, Luis Liberato said:

So what I usually see is that people say that Johalvier(Lucharba) is the better unit stat wise while Johan(Luchar) is beloved for his character, but I would like to argue that Johalvier is the better of the two in terms of character. When I first played the chapter where you can either of the two I decided to go for Johan because I thought his art was cute and I heard that he was a better-written character. When I recruited him I got a rather sour taste in my mouth, I found it weird that despite the fact that he was on a battlefield his focus was Larcie. I restarted the chapter to see what Johalvier's recruitment is like and I actually preferred it by a lot. I liked that even though he loves Larcie, his focus is on his mission and the battle. I didn't even feel that bad killing Johan since he seemed a bit crazy like right after Larcie talks to his brother Johan's first thought is that the only thing left for him to do is to kill both of them? With Johalvier I enjoyed that he felt a bit betrayed and that he had to complete his mission. Another thing I would like to add I that Larcie kinda convinces Johalvier to join her side by telling him that it would benefit the people and that Seliph's army could bring an end to all the violence. It gives him a good bit of character and ya that's why I prefer Johalvier over his brother (plus you get Nosferatu)

Hope to hear what all of you think and who you prefer 

i will just leave this here:

Fire-Emblem-Seisen-no-Keifu-Japan-En-by-

in my humble opinion, a unit that can destroy most armored units and literally send to oblivion flying units with the right items build( because he can use a Hero Bow too after promotion ) is far more viable and valuable than an Axe Knight, but that's just me of course.

give him a Leg+Knight ring, and you'll get an even better Axe Knight alternative.

plus he's actually a cool guy that tries to redeem himself, unlike his brother wich cares only about Lakche and nothing else.

I know that the horse guy is better just because fe4 is so horse biased that you need to literally blow armies away to be good if you are a foot soldier, but he is just so underwhelming, being worse than Lex in a generation where Lex himself would be unremarkable. At least Lucharba is not held back by the comparisson with a strong gen 1 unit(why you are not a godly tank like your uncle).

Johalvier because of several reasons.

1. Recruiting him saves time because you otherwise need to walk to Sophara to seize it and then have to walk back to seize Isaach because Schmidt will have conquered it.

2. You won't need either of them so their only use is arena grinding. Johalvier has better stats so he has an easier time.

3. I don't like Johan. He's a flirt without any depth and Johalvier at least seems a bit interesting.

• 3 weeks later...