New Switch Trailer with brief Three Houses footage

Calico

There's not much footage, just a few seconds of Byleth using a gambit attack and the player selecting Dorothea to attack an enemy, but it does confirm that Byleth will be voiced, at least during battle.

Guest Guest Emblem

It's hard to hear over the yelling soldiers, but I think there might be an "Ablazed" version of Fodlan Winds at around 0:15, because the music sounds more intense than normal to me. Though it could just be me.

Some stuff I noticed: 

Spoiler

5c91b7bb0ec36_3houses1.thumb.png.5af9e33ba949e69443bc591e5f408884.png

You can see a promoted-looking(?) class used in Byleth's battalion. They appear to use swords. Also, the female version is missing a pant leg, which reminds me of the female version of the archer that we've already seen in Bernadetta's battalion in the last trailer. I wonder if it's a reoccurring thing. 

Spoiler

5c91ba0d43cc5_3houses2.thumb.png.461cc4a3ff8fb2037df61e8fe5f5bf2e.png

In the image, we can see eight nine playable characters: M!Byleth, down in the bottom left, Edelgard above him, another student close to the enemy(which I think is Ferdinand), Dorothea below him, Bernadetta right above the green statue, the unnamed Black Eagle guy parallel to Ferdinand, Caspar to the right of the green statue, and Petra at the upper left. What's interesting is that Linhardt is nowhere in sight. This may ultimately mean nothing, as he could just be out of sight somewhere else on the map, or maybe he died earlier, or the map only allows for eight characters, but it could mean that he joins a bit later than the rest of the class.

Edit: Actually, looking closer, the "green statue" is probably Linhardt. If I looked closer I would have seen that he has a blue circle around his feet, marking him as a character. I don't know why he's green.

Edited by Calico

Dang, they have curtains in buses in Japan?

I... want that. Can we get that too?

Well... time to analyze! Though Calico probably unearthed it all already.

Edit: Oh, hey, we're back in that trailer one chapter during that first shot, apparently.

Spoiler

MflbZMh.jpgUYAI91j.jpg

RKMohAV.jpgcW0TVnF.jpg

This is interesting, because we know for a fact that this is an earlygame map. So, two possibilities:

- These are in fact low level troops, hopefully the different appearance is a general thing and the models we saw before were just temporary.

- We come back here later in the game for some reason, or the game will allow the player to grind on older maps like we've seen in the past, and that's what's going on here.

Edited by Cysx

am i dumb or battalion units' animations look better?

quite a shame that the footage stops right before byleth's army actually hits the enemy, i want to know if generic units still fly away like bowling pins when hit by a gambit

Edited by Yexin

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

am i dumb or battalion units' animations look better?

quite a shame that the footage stops right before byleth's army actually hits the enemy, i want to know if generic units still fly away like bowling pins when hit by a gambit

Yeah it's definitely more fluid than before which is great! It was obvious he wasn't gonna be silent outside a few cutscenes but any small tidbit is nice to see great voice too I sorta recognize his VA. Always love the jp CMs are always so grounded and chill!

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

@Cysx Good catch! It definitely looks like the same map. I'm guessing that the troops that Byleth uses are, in fact, low level troops, since I went back and managed to spot them in the previous trailer where Linhardt heals Byleth:

Spoiler

5c9235ebb70d9_3houses3.png.5a643fce5dfe570942730eed69ba2d01.png

They're a presumably low-level class, not a mercenary, and use swords... Are these the myrmidons of the game? Though they could also be a promoted class like a Hero and Byleth just gets access to them early, or they're being used as a placeholder.

2 hours ago, RexBolt said:

Maybe Linhardt is green because of a status? Stone maybe?

I think the green coating might signal that he's on a healing tile. The map looks to be too early for him to have gotten a status effect.

Also,  I just noticed that there are triangles next to Byleth, Edelgard, and green guy. In the last trailer, in the map where the Black Eagles were fighting the bandits, every character but Dorothea had a triangle next to them. Could this be slightly earlier in the game, where not everyone has access to it yet? (Though considering Bernadetta the triangle icon at level 2, I doubt that they'll not have it for long).

Edited by Calico

4 hours ago, Calico said:

Also,  I just noticed that there are triangles next to Byleth, Edelgard, and green guy. In the last trailer, in the map where the Black Eagles were fighting the bandits, every character but Dorothea had a triangle next to them. Could this be slightly earlier in the game, where not everyone has access to it yet? (Though considering Bernadetta the triangle icon at level 2, I doubt that they'll not have it for long).

I'm guessing the triangles represent formations/additional troops, and that you can distribute them between party members. Perhaps you don't have as many at this stage in the game or they've chosen to focus most of the namless troops on fewer characters. 

Wait, it's at the HP bar in combat in the trailer and without any troops in sight. Wops. Although I guess you could have the ability to call on them, but that might be reaching.

Edited by Thane

1 hour ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

Yeah it's definitely more fluid than before which is great! It was obvious he wasn't gonna be silent outside a few cutscenes but any small tidbit is nice to see great voice too I sorta recognize his VA. Always love the jp CMs are always so grounded and chill!

Yeah completely agree!

Nice find! It's unfortunately only about 3 seconds of combined footage, but I'll take any second we can get!

Green Lyndhart is certainly unusual. A status effect does seem likely, but this looks pretty early in a stage to be hit by one (I assume the gates we see at the bottom of the screen are the map start). Poison seems most likely to me, I've seen it used for Regenerate or Status Up in a few other games, so it's possibly a beneficial effect too.

The female generic soldiers here missing a pants leg is pretty unusual. It's the kind of thing you'd normally find on unique characters to make them look more special, not a standard-issue uniform. Generics normally have as few distinguishing characteristics as possible... but those female generics don't look like generics (especially compared to the male ones, who are as generic as can be) at all. If you'd show me a screenshot with only her on it, I would immediately think she'd be a unique character and not a generic.

I'm a bit curious about the huge red dot on the male generic's breastplate. It's very conspicuous; I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent something?

Edited by Ayra

1 hour ago, Calico said:

It definitely looks like the same map. I'm guessing that the troops that Byleth uses are, in fact, low level troops, since I went back and managed to spot them in the previous trailer where Linhardt heals Byleth:

Hide contents

5c9235ebb70d9_3houses3.png.5a643fce5dfe570942730eed69ba2d01.png

They're a presumably low-level class, not a mercenary, and use swords... Are these the myrmidons of the game? Though they could also be a promoted class like a Hero and Byleth just gets access to them early, or they're being used as a placeholder.

You're right, we did see them before... it's interesting. I wonder if it's because out of all the characters we've seen, Byleth is the only one that's probably not a Noble/Trainee, resulting in his troops looking a bit more advanced. The females could pass as myrmidons for sure, though the males are a bit too bulky, so... maybe mercenaries instead?

In any case, the japanese trailer 2 did have those female troops visible in that same scene:

3asbimR.jpg

As for Linhardt, tough to say for sure... could be something tied to faith magic somehow(since he's been presented as your primary healer thus far), or perhaps your objective here is to defend him, considering his positioning? Doesn't sound very likely.

50 minutes ago, Ayra said:

I'm a bit curious about the huge red dot on the male generic's breastplate. It's very conspicuous; I'm pretty sure it's supposed to represent something?

It does stand out, but apart from protection, I have no idea of what it could be.

5 hours ago, Cysx said:

You're right, we did see them before... it's interesting. I wonder if it's because out of all the characters we've seen, Byleth is the only one that's probably not a Noble/Trainee, resulting in his troops looking a bit more advanced. The females could pass as myrmidons for sure, though the males are a bit too bulky, so... maybe mercenaries instead?

I don't think they're mercenaries. I think the guy to the right of Dimitri is a mercenary. (Though I'm judging pretty much solely on the fact that they have a metal headband like the generic mercenaries did in the 3ds games. They also wield swords like the class in Byleth's battalion.).YHjGia9J4nbFob4Tt_k-ZZJb31AQvyya.jpg

11 minutes ago, Calico said:

I don't think they're mercenaries. I think the guy to the right of Dimitri is a mercenary. (Though I'm judging pretty much solely on the fact that they have a metal headband like the generic mercenaries did in the 3ds games. They also wield swords like the class in Byleth's battalion.).

The headband seems to be for low level troops first and foremost, since that's what the thief's soldiers with bows also wear in trailer 2(the one Bernadetta fights). I'm not certain they're supposed to have a class. Unless mercenaries can use bows too.

6avycC6.jpg

7 minutes ago, Cysx said:

The headband seems to be for low level troops first and foremost, since that's what the thief's soldiers with bows also wear in trailer 2(the one Bernadetta fights). I'm not certain they're supposed to have a class. Unless mercenaries can use bows too.

6avycC6.jpg

My theory is that these bland headbanded units are actually the Battalion version of the Noble/Trainee class. 

@Cysx You're right, they are using bows while in the thief's battalion. Maybe they're generic troops or something. They also appear in Petra's battalion and wield swords, so they appear to be capable of using multiple types of weapons.

The mystery class we saw for a few seconds and were theorizing about actually appears to be a palette swap of the troops in Bernadetta's battalion and the enemy that Petra faced off against.

Spoiler

5c92a8cee48b2_3houses1.png.cbf8fea7fc6825ff9bae6eba3d138c88.png5c92a8d4a036c_3houses2.png.238e4b71a7652ae6b577c974eb2b0a77.png

They wield bows when they're with Bernadetta, and the enemy wields a sword. They're probably not an advanced class like I thought if Bernadetta can use them. (Though why are Bernadetta's red and Byleth's red + white? )

2 hours ago, RexBolt said:

My theory is that these bland headbanded units are actually the Battalion version of the Noble/Trainee class. 

It works mechanically, but I don't know, they look very different.

2 hours ago, Calico said:

@Cysx You're right, they are using bows while in the thief's battalion. Maybe they're generic troops or something. They also appear in Petra's battalion and wield swords, so they appear to be capable of using multiple types of weapons.

The mystery class we saw for a few seconds and were theorizing about actually appears to be a palette swap of the troops in Bernadetta's battalion and the enemy that Petra faced off against.

Hide contents

5c92a8cee48b2_3houses1.png.cbf8fea7fc6825ff9bae6eba3d138c88.png5c92a8d4a036c_3houses2.png.238e4b71a7652ae6b577c974eb2b0a77.png

They wield bows when they're with Bernadetta, and the enemy wields a sword. They're probably not an advanced class like I thought if Bernadetta can use them. (Though why are Bernadetta's red and Byleth's red + white? )

You're right! This kind of throws it all out of the window. Makes me wonder if troops really are supposed to represent classes in the first place, but, they share their models with enemies, and enemies not having a class is unheard of in FE afaik. Also it's a detail, but I think we got a low quality portrait for that guy.

N6G3L6A.jpg

Still, two classes that can wield both bows and swords, and potentially more? That's pretty bizarre.

As for the troop colors, I'd assume enemy(or at least bandits, western church are white and red) is grey, Adrestia is red, and Byleth is white + the color of the house the player picked? Maybe?

Edited by Cysx

20 hours ago, Cysx said:

In any case, the japanese trailer 2 did have those female troops visible in that same scene:

3asbimR.jpg

As for Linhardt, tough to say for sure... could be something tied to faith magic somehow(since he's been presented as your primary healer thus far), or perhaps your objective here is to defend him, considering his positioning? Doesn't sound very likely.

It does stand out, but apart from protection, I have no idea of what it could be.

Oh, I hadn't seen that image from the "old" Japanese trailer; it's a lot clearer than the new trailer image. Yeah, the female generics do look a lot more generic here; in particular I thought that the helmet was blond-ish hair, so it's really just the one-sided pants and the "leg band" that are un-generic. Regarding the male generics, I thought it was a big red "dot" painted over metal armor, and not a very tiny breastplate over cloth... Woops!

Anyway, your color theory makes sense to me.

I think it's likely that the troops are separate from the class of the character. We've already seen variations like Edelgard leading cavalry as an infantry class, and that the troops have their own level and separate listing in the post-battle screen. Maybe battalions are something you can switch around between battles and they have their own sets of promotions and a (likely much watered down) stat system. It'd almost be like having a secondary weapon equipped that levels up with your character.

As for Linhardt being green, we've seen that same effect before with the black beast in the 2nd trailer. A status effect is a good guess, I'm thinking it may be some new kind of indicator a la a unit graying out once they've acted in a turn. Maybe green units are still able to contribute to a Gambit or something even after they've acted?