Cadence of Hyrule: Crypt of the NecroDancer feat. The Legend of Zelda

Florete

Played it a bit - it's interesting, but my ears are plugged right now.  I might pick up the game later.  As for the DLC, maybe way in the future.

This is my first time hearing of the Necrodancer series. As for Cadence of Hyrule, i think it's really cool but i'm gonna skip out on it because i'm absolutely abysmal at rhythm games.

I was basically heading out the door when I made this, but now I have time to actually say something.

So I've not actually played Crypt of the NecroDancer yet. I bought it years ago on a Steam sale, but never got around to it. But I definitely think I'll like it, and this trailer really got me pumped.

It should be noted, regardless of whether you're interested in this or not, this is a seriously big deal. This isn't just some cameo or hero's tunic, nor is it a triple A studio collaborating with Nintendo, this is Nintendo loaning out one of their biggest IPs to an indie studio with one decent hit of a game. It's no exaggeration to say that the success or failure of this game can have a major impact on the scene in the future. It will determine how willing Nintendo will be to try something like this again.

13 hours ago, Florete said:

I was basically heading out the door when I made this, but now I have time to actually say something.

So I've not actually played Crypt of the NecroDancer yet. I bought it years ago on a Steam sale, but never got around to it. But I definitely think I'll like it, and this trailer really got me pumped.

It should be noted, regardless of whether you're interested in this or not, this is a seriously big deal. This isn't just some cameo or hero's tunic, nor is it a triple A studio collaborating with Nintendo, this is Nintendo loaning out one of their biggest IPs to an indie studio with one decent hit of a game. It's no exaggeration to say that the success or failure of this game can have a major impact on the scene in the future. It will determine how willing Nintendo will be to try something like this again.

I agree. It's a huge deal. But it's also reflective of a new approach for Nintendo. The Nintendo of ages past wouldn't have loaned out Mario and StarFox to Ubisoft, Fire Emblem to Atlus, or Fire Emblem and Zelda to Koei Tecmo.

What they are doing is uncharacteristic and wonderful, and Cadence of Hyrule is one more step in this new and exciting direction.

A little off that Nintendo would trust a rhythm Zelda game to an indie, didn't Game Freak develop a rather decent game called HarmoKnight? -Though they probably have their hands full with forging the ultimate Sword and Shield right now.

Entrusting another developer saves Nintendo's own resources for more lucrative projects than the rhythm niche. Plus I'm sure they've strong oversight, an indie developer I think would droll and kowtow for one of Nintendo's golden trinity of franchises to be made available to them, which means they best not fall short of the hand that giveth's standards.

My logical musings aside, nice to see Zelda getting a good spin off. Despite its size and greatness, it doesn't have a whole lot. Although because if rhythm were soul I'd be dead, I'm not getting this game. And if the indie developer is a devoted group, then may this help their general fortunes.

I also like seeing the return of Gleeok. The last time it showed up was when? Oracle of Seasons, or was that Phantom Hourglass twin dragon boss Gleeok? It's an original NES Zelda foe who, if a bit boring in concept- just a multi-headed dragon (better than Aquamentus- who is just an ordinary dragon)- is nonetheless part of old Zelda history. And those five Armos with guitars is clearly recalling the Eastern Palace boss of LttP, the first real one of the game (excluding the Ball & Chain Knight), another retro touch.

Also, here is an article on why Zelda was chosen for NecroDancer.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 3/21/2019 at 11:00 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

A little off that Nintendo would trust a rhythm Zelda game to an indie, didn't Game Freak develop a rather decent game called HarmoKnight? -Though they probably have their hands full with forging the ultimate Sword and Shield right now.

Entrusting another developer saves Nintendo's own resources for more lucrative projects than the rhythm niche. Plus I'm sure they've strong oversight, an indie developer I think would droll and kowtow for one of Nintendo's golden trinity of franchises to be made available to them, which means they best not fall short of the hand that giveth's standards.

My logical musings aside, nice to see Zelda getting a good spin off. Despite its size and greatness, it doesn't have a whole lot. Although because if rhythm were soul I'd be dead, I'm not getting this game. And if the indie developer is a devoted group, then may this help their general fortunes.

I also like seeing the return of Gleeok. The last time it showed up was when? Oracle of Seasons, or was that Phantom Hourglass twin dragon boss Gleeok? It's an original NES Zelda foe who, if a bit boring in concept- just a multi-headed dragon (better than Aquamentus- who is just an ordinary dragon)- is nonetheless part of old Zelda history. And those five Armos with guitars is clearly recalling the Eastern Palace boss of LttP, the first real one of the game (excluding the Ball & Chain Knight), another retro touch.

Also, here is an article on why Zelda was chosen for NecroDancer.

Effectively, that two headed sucks was a gleeok. 

Never got got around to play Necrodancer, but I kind of a need of a Zelda fix right now until the next one comes