Erick

Definitely one of the weirder baddie face reuses. But I get a sense IS knew it was and intentionally joked with it. Note:

Shagaal:
“Eltshan, you imbecile! Now what are you babbling about!? I knew it! You ARE in cahoots with the enemy! Somebody! Seize this traitor! Off with his head! We’ll make an example out of him!”

and

Muhammad:
“The rebel army is nothing to fear! Now go get Alster Castle back. I’ll take your head off if any one of you doesn’t follow my orders… Now attack!”

Although they did nothing with the most generic guy of all.

I find it very weird they used a very nonwhite/European name on a guy who is very white/European, and that of Islam's founder at that. Would probably be changed in FE4 Remake. They did turn Mage Dragon Moses (boss of Chapter 16 Shadow Dragon) into Morzas.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I find it very weird they used a very nonwhite/European name on a guy who is very white/European, and that of Islam's founder at that. Would probably be changed in FE4 Remake. They did turn Mage Dragon Moses (boss of Chapter 16 Shadow Dragon) into Morzas.

Muhammad as a name is not that uncommon actually. Most used, in fact. Unlike what Christiniaty (except for Hispanic countries) does with Jesus, Muslims go the other way, and freely use the name of their religion's founder to name their own children. Then again, it might be changed anyway. Maybe.

I got curious on that Moses bit, and found that the boss's name is モーゼス, while the actual Moses's is taken as モーセ, though I did find the former is the Katakana of the Latin version of the name. There was also モーシェ and ムサ as variations, so... okay, likely it was due to Moses. Still on a maybe on that, though.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Muhammad as a name is not that uncommon actually. Most used, in fact. Unlike what Christiniaty (except for Hispanic countries) does with Jesus, Muslims go the other way, and freely use the name of their religion's founder to name their own children. Then again, it might be changed anyway. Maybe.

I know Muhammad and its various regional/linguistic spellings thereof is one of the, if not the most popular name on the planet. And that Muslims also use the name of "The Friend (of God)" Ibrahim (Abraham), and sometimes Isa (Jesus) even.

Nonetheless, I'd consider the context behind FE4's use of the name. Why was it chosen? Many names FE chooses are based on mythology, albeit not so much for minor ugly bosses. FE also has ordinary names and "exotic" names (and I'd imagine that for Japan, a name as ordinary as "Eliot" in English would be exotic to them, see the Tina/Terra thing in Final Fantasy, or Pokemon with Jolteon and Zapdos being called the English words "Thunder" and "Thunders" in Japan).

I'd think Muhammad was chosen because it sounds "exotic". And Japan has no more than a few thousand Muslims, without a nearby majority Muslim country, thus the name wouldn't be thorny there (which also makes the name exotic in the first place). Elsewhere? I think it'd have to be changed, since the "exotic" aspect would be overridden by a sense of inappropriateness to use the name so randomly, even if there was no malice at all behind it (much as there wasn't if Morzas = Moses).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

On 3/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know Muhammad and its various regional/linguistic spellings thereof is one of the, if not the most popular name on the planet. And that Muslims also use the name of "The Friend (of God)" Ibrahim (Abraham), and sometimes Isa (Jesus) even.

Nonetheless, I'd consider the context behind FE4's use of the name. Why was it chosen? Many names FE chooses are based on mythology, albeit not so much for minor ugly bosses. FE also has ordinary names and "exotic" names (and I'd imagine that for Japan, a name as ordinary as "Eliot" in English would be exotic to them, see the Tina/Terra thing in Final Fantasy, or Pokemon with Jolteon and Zapdos being called the English words "Thunder" and "Thunders" in Japan).

I'd think Muhammad was chosen because it sounds "exotic". And Japan has no more than a few thousand Muslims, without a nearby majority Muslim country, thus the name wouldn't be thorny there (which also makes the name exotic in the first place). Elsewhere? I think it'd have to be changed, since the "exotic" aspect would be overridden by a sense of inappropriateness to use the name so randomly, even if there was no malice at all behind it (much as there wasn't if Morzas = Moses).

There's lots of European Muslims in the Balkans, so there could be a white Mohammad.

It does seem weird to use the main villain for a couple chapters as a repeat portrait in Gen 2.

Edited by Rezzy

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

There's lots of European Muslims in the Balkans, so there could be a white Mohammad.

I'm aware of Albania, and I think Bosnia & Herzegovina as well, plus some Muslims in the other countries there- Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Kosovo (I forget if it is its own country), and Macedonia (I think I named them all). I only meant in as a nonwhite name in the Western popular perception.

The name itself aside, I have to wonder what made them think to just reuse Chagall's portrait. Not even a recolor, like most other bosses. Or edit the sprite slightly, like with Eldigan and Ares, or Andorei and Scipio. Just straight up using the exact same one.

Likely as baffling as Ovo's unique portrait for a minor boss. Perhaps amusingly enough, they show up in the same chapter and in a set in the sense they're the first two bosses of the chapter you have to fight.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The name itself aside, I have to wonder what made them think to just reuse Chagall's portrait. Not even a recolor, like most other bosses. Or edit the sprite slightly, like with Eldigan and Ares, or Andorei and Scipio. Just straight up using the exact same one.

Likely as baffling as Ovo's unique portrait for a minor boss. Perhaps amusingly enough, they show up in the same chapter and in a set in the sense they're the first two bosses of the chapter you have to fight.

I believe the original plan for them to be Raydrik and Reinhardt.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, Manstein said:

Looks like King Chagall somehow got saved twice.

Fire Emblem - Geneology of the Holy War000.png

Portrait_ovo_fe04.png

Its also weird as his friend/rival has a unique portrait.

Portrait_macbeth_fe04.png

I don't get why he and Macbeth had unique portraits. Like Bramsel, the former merchant who harasses Leen would make so much more sense with a Macbeth portrait then another Clement portrait? Clement is clearly a magic user given his robes and hood, yet Bramsel is a General, the choice for palette swap is baffling?

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Portrait_harold_fe04.pngPortrait_macbeth_fe04.png

I think it would make more sense if Ovo was a Zyne/Harold and Muhammed was a Macbeth.

Ovo's unique portrait could go to Musar instead.

On 3/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

That was censorship/a localization change not in the Japanese version. The boss was still Moses in Japan.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Thinking it further, Morzas can possibly be not censorship but simply choice of interpretation.

モーゼス is Mōzesu. It's not uncommong to think to add the r. Then just flip the e for an a. Probably due to how it sounds, or is meant to be sound. Like, probably it's close to an æ sound, hence going for the a. Finally, removing that u at the end which is also not an uncommon thing to do when it comes to Katakana. It's just a guess of mine, though.

With Muhammad, though, I don't think the Katakana could be interpreted differently. So who knows if it would be changed or not...