Can Pikachu/Eevee solo the entirety of Pokémon Let's Go?

Hecatia

My gf and I were wondering if it's possible to make Pikachu/Eevee solo the entire game.

At first we thought that was impossible since in previous games there were some cases that you absolutely need Pokémon from different types and to our surprise, the game is not proving to be a challenge for her at all. She expected something harder after playing UltraSun (Last game before that was Sapphire when she was little) which was challenging for her at some parts. This one, apart from spoon-feeding the player, is soooooo incredibly slow that she gets bored and prefers to take down spirits in the Spirit Board in Ultimate. Like, they give Pikachu/Eevee moves to cover everything that the trainers (with mostly 3 Pokémon) throw at you! Why having a water-type Pokémon when your Pikachu can Splishy Splash that slow ground-type with ease, removing strategy value!
I swear this is not a rant

Starter solo was a viable tactic since forever. Massive overlevel trump any kind of disadvantage. I believe that yellow was the hardest to starter solo because pilachu can't evolve and is hard countered by onix. If let's go gived pikachu more coverage and better stats, then it should not be particularly hard.

I dunno, I remember Lance's dragonite has a rough outrage that one shotted my level 50 something Pikachu. Even if your Pika were bulky enough to tank a hit, you're still hyper potioning each turn in hopes that he eventually hurts himself in confusion so you can get in an attack. I hear Eevee is even better with the greater coverage moves. It's those moves and Pika and Eevee having maxed IVs that really help them be the star of the show. Starter Solo in this game is probably the most...playable? Doesn't sound fun at all to me though.

There are also Gym requirements in this game so you can't avoid catching pokemon altogether. 

Edited by Glennstavos

Eevee has extremely powerful unique attacks of most of the common types.

I recall, I believe, a 90 bp psychic attack that would at the same time set up a light screen, another dark one that would set up reflect and a grass one that would set up leech seed. High power, strong secondary effect. Roughly all other types are also covered. It's an overkill. 

Yeah, starter eevee is a powerhouse. It probably makes the game harder to actually insist on using more than this starter Pokémon. 

I'm guessing it isn't any different for starter Pikachu. 

Edited by Vince777

I mean if you can do it with other starters in other games(Solo runs are a thing after all) then you can definitely do it in this game. Most starters in other games learn moves via TM that cover their weaknesses anyway(Most water types can learn stuff like Ice beam and dig for example). So it's more a stat and levels game if nothing else and because you're not wasting time dividing exp among different pokemon in the party, well yeah you're gonna be pretty overleveled.

Edited by Ottservia

19 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

There are also Gym requirements in this game so you can't avoid catching pokemon altogether. 

Oh yeah, I remember that when she show me in photos. It's alright for newcomers.

17 hours ago, Vince777 said:

Eevee has extremely powerful unique attacks of most of the common types.

I recall, I believe, a 90 bp psychic attack that would at the same time set up a light screen, another dark one that would set up reflect and a grass one that would set up leech seed. High power, strong secondary effect. Roughly all other types are also covered. It's an overkill. 

Yeah, starter eevee is a powerhouse. It probably makes the game harder to actually insist on using more than this starter Pokémon. 

I'm guessing it isn't any different for starter Pikachu. 

4 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Its less a question of "is it possible" and more a question of "How much grinding would it take?" 

I don't think much grinding would be necessary, partner Pokémon get boosted exp and for what I can tell, Partner Pikachu also gets busted moves and stat increases that makes it different from normal Pikachu.

I saw a video of someone beating the elite 4 with a level 3 metapod. Game is broken lol. Eevee and/or Pikachu will have no issues.