Minor Clarification

The most common topic i've found online on SoV gameplay is whether to promote ASAP or wait until you reach higher levels, and while i am sure this applies to promoting from a Mercenary to Myrmidon for example, but seeing as i've never found any clarification, does this aspect also apply to the base Villagers? Like, Waiting until the Villagers are Level 10+ to promote to whatever Class they can or Promote as soon as i enter Thieves' Shrine? 

Edited by McKarter

I know the Loop works only on the Mercenary line, and the only reason i saw why people delay promoting to the next-tier class is bcs of postgame stuff. I just wanted to clarify if that applies to the 4 Villagers promoting to whatever they can or if they are ONLY talking about the base classes like Cleric, Mage, Cavalier, etc.

Everytime you promote and become level 1 again, you start earning a ton of exp. But as you pass level 10, your experience gains flatline to just a few points per kill. Since the game has pretty free grinding you can squeeze in more levels before promotion as far as your patience allows. But by choosing to promote earlier you make your units immediately better. Higher tiered classes have generous stat bases that will get your guys up to speed if their level ups have been poor.

Villagers are kinda bad, so I early promoted for them, for base classes, though I try to get as many levels are I can before promoting, though, to maximize stat potential.

You should try to promote villagers as early as possible because the villager class is bad and its level cap is only 10 instead of the usual 20.  You don't want any of them to be stuck as villagers for long.

You can get all the leveling you need out of the higher tier classes.  If you really think you should wait until promotion, have all the villagers grind in the easiest possible dungeons until they hit level 10.  But as soon as you're coming upon the canyon in the first act, at least a few of them should be promoted.

The question as to whether to promote early or late is rather persistent in this game.  In the original Gaiden, it was best to promote them as early as possible because every unit except Alm, Celica, and the Whitewings had terrible growth rates.  But they improved those growth rates in this remake, so some would suggest it's possible to eek out some extra stats in each class tier.  However, I'd say they're still low enough that you could afford to promote earlier than you would in other FE games.

Ahh thank you, i thought all that delaying promotion stuff also includes level 20 Villagers lol

I don't really mind a bit of grinding, and i admit i was surprised AND a bit creeped out when i first encountered a Dracul in the Thieves' Shrine (was playing at 3 AM XD), grinded all the way to level 10 and now will promote all Villagers to their respective Class Changes. 

17 hours ago, McKarter said:

The most common topic i've found online on SoV gameplay is whether to promote ASAP or wait until you reach higher levels, and while i am sure this applies to promoting from a Mercenary to Myrmidon for example, but seeing as i've never found any clarification, does this aspect also apply to the base Villagers? Like, Waiting until the Villagers are Level 10+ to promote to whatever Class they can or Promote as soon as i enter Thieves' Shrine? 

it really depends on how you wish to play the game. base stats, items/weapons skills and classes skills also play a big part in choosing wich units to promote earlier.

if you want efficiency, you should promote villagers to other classes such as mages, healers, etc as soon as possible. there's also specific rare items that can be obtained earlier with the right management of early promotions to specific classes, followed by grinding levels for skills gains.

if you want units with overall better stats in the long run for post-game content, you should probably take your time to level them up to 10 before promotion. while not necessary, having better stats is always helpful, especially for dungeons such as Thabes.

also to be noted, some people tend to promote units that already have a class route taken( Lukas, Clive as examples ) later on, due to their class already having access to specific weapons and skills.

that's pretty much all there is to it.

it's all a matter of either being useful earlier, or having the time and patience to grind levels to have better stats/units later on.