Fan Made FE Board Game [WIP]

MediocreLee

Warning:  Beware of long post.

I posted this on the Fire Emblem amino and thought I'd share this here as well.

So I had the random thought, "Huh, Fire Emblem would make a pretty interesting board game," one night.  Then I looked at my amiibos, which all of them are Fire Emblem characters except for one, and have been thinking on how to combine the two.  So I'm here to present what I have so far of the Fire Emblem Board Game I've been slowly working on.  (I did just discover that someone had made a Fire Emblem Heroes board game...but the ideas are going to be different).  Dice, luck, and strategy is used in this game.  Do note that all of this is still a work in progress and who knows if I'll actually fully complete this project.

If you're reading through how to play and you're wondering, "Wow, this sounds so specific that it's obvious."  It probably is.  When it comes to a lot of board games, the rules usually have to be pretty specific as to avert confusion.  Though, if you've played Fire Emblem ever, you'll know how most of this stuff works.

So in this BG, there are a couple of different modes that are possible for play.

Free-For-All

Which up to 4, maybe more depending, will battle it out to see who can be the last one remaining.

Team Battle

Teams of 2 can battle each other or one

Horde

Heroes will have to fight against a horde of enemies.

Defense

Heroes will have to defend a certain point for an X amount of turns.

Campaign (?)

I'm thinking of a potential campaign mode that is comprised of completing specific objectives within a set amount of turns or such.  If I really have the time and dedication, I may make a story for it as well, but this is all up in the air.

Possible a couple more modes depending on how the mechanics can work out.

I decided to put most of the post in quotes just so it doesn't look like a massive wall of text at first.

Gameplay

The basic gameplay is very similar to a usual Fire Emblem game.  You'll move units around on the map and fight.  However, stats are similar to Fire Emblem Heroes, meaning that Skill and Luck aren't in, considering that's too many calculations for a board game.  Strength and Magic are grouped together as Attack.  The stats in the game are

HP = Health Points.  Once this hit 0, unit is out of the game.

Attack = Attack strength of unit.

Defense = Unit endurance.

Speed = Quickness of unit.

Resistance = Resilience of magic of unit.

Movement = How many squares/tiles a unit can move

AP = Action Points, that can be used to activate Skills.  Every unit gets 1 AP at the start of each of their turns if they are within 2 spaces of another unit, each unit also has a different starting value of AP.

In most scenarios, the unit with the highest Speed will go first.  Units move up to their maximum Movement value indicated on their card.  Units can only move onto any adjacent tiles/squares in the cardinal directions, diagonal movements are not allowed.

At the start of a character's turn, they gain 1 AP if they are within 2 spaces of another unit.  Characters can accumulate as much AP as they would like.

Players have these options at the start of their turn:

Move

Attack

Use Skill (if applicable)

Use Item (if applicable)

End

If a player decides to do anything besides move, their turn will end; a player cannot attack then move as an example.  A player can move then do any of the other actions if they choose.  Once an action such as Attacking or using a Skill is done, that character's turn is immediately over.  1 whole turn is finished once all players and characters have finished their actions.

Combat

Combat is simple, but does involve die rolling.  If a unit moves and has any weapons with the appropriate range, they can initiate combat.  If any unit within battle has 2 or more Speed than their opponent, they will have 2 rounds of being the attacking unit within the battle.  For example:

Lucina's Speed is 8 and she is choosing to attack Chrom who has 5 Speed.  Lucina will have 2 rounds of attacking.

This also does work in reverse as well.  If the defending unit has 2 or more Speed than the attacking unit, they will have 2 rounds of attacks.  For example:

Robin is choosing to attack Lucina.  Robin's Speed is 4, but Lucina's Speed is 8.  Lucina will have 2 rounds of attacking.

Whoever initiates the attack will be the first attacker.  Both players must decide which weapons to use before battle initiates, if the defending player does not have a weapon with the appropriate range, they cannot counterattack within the battle.  When a round in a battle starts, the respective player's roll a die.  The attacking player rolls to see if their attack succeeds, while the defending player rolls to see if they dodge.  Both players will roll a D6 (six-sided die).  If the attacking player rolls higher or ties with the defending player, their attack succeeds.  If the defending player rolls higher than the attacking player, they successfully dodge.

If the attacking player has their attack succeed they proceed to the damage calculations.  Above the weapon range will have the corresponding damage calculations.  Take into consideration any potential stat modifiers that certain weapons have during battles.  You take those calculations and subtract the appropriate defending stat of the defender.  If the attack is physical, Defense is used.  If the attack is magical, Resistance is used.  For example:

Ike uses Ragnell to attack Corrin who is using the Omega Yato.  Ragnell has the damage calculations of Attack + D4.  Ike's Attack is 9 and Ike's player rolled a 3.  Ike's potential damage is 12.  Corrin's Defense is 4.  Corrin sustains 8 Damage.

Any defending unit counterattacks if they are using any weapon with the appropriate range.  If not, they cannot counterattack.

A typical battle flow will go as follows:

[Round 1] Unit initiating combat attacks first.

[Round 2] Defending unit then attacks back, if applicable.

Battle ends.

If the initiating unit has 2 or more Speed than the defending unit, the battle flow will go as follows:

[Round 3] Unit initiating combat attacks again.

Battle ends.

If the defending unit has 2 or more Speed than the initiating unit, the battle flow will go as follows:

[Round 3] Defending unit attacks back again, if applicable.

Battle ends.

Follow-up attacks are possible with Skills or using specific weapons like a Brave Sword.  Follow-up attacks mean that unit with the appropriate skill or weapons will attack twice in a row.  This can be deadly if the unit is faster than their opponent.  The battle flow if a Skill or B

A battle ends once all of the appropriate rounds of combat finishes.  Keep in mind that if both units engaging in the battle do not have anything to give them extra attacking rounds, they cannot continue to attack.

Status Conditions

Status conditions exist in this game as well.  Any time there is a skill or something that says there is a chance to inflict a status condition.  What would happen is that someone will have to roll a D6.  On a value of 5 or 6, the status condition happens.  Anything 4 or lower, the status condition does not occur.  Multiple status conditions cannot be stacked nor can a status condition be prolonged if a unit is already suffering from the status condition.  The following status conditions are used in the game.

Poison

Simple residual damage.  Any poisoned unit takes 1 D4 of damage at the start of their turn.  Heals naturally after 3 turns.

Burn

Similar to poison.  Any burned unit takes 1 D4 of damage at the start of their turn.  Heals naturally after 3 turns.

Stun/Paralyze

A stunned/paralyzed unit skips their next turn.  Heals after their turn is skipped.

Petrify

A petrified unit is turned to stone and cannot do anything for 3 turns.  Their Defense is increased by 5.  Heals naturally after their 3rd turn.

Sleep

A sleeping unit cannot do anything for 2 turns.  A sleeping unit wakes up if someone attacks them.  Heals naturally after 2 turns.

Silence

A silenced unit cannot use any magic based attacks.  Heals naturally after 2 turns.

Berserk

A unit suffering from berserk cannot differentiate friend from foe.  They will move and attack the nearest unit, even if it is an ally.  Heals naturally after 3 turns.

Unit Effectiveness

Some characters have a specific unit type they have that is designated under the unit's Speed.  Some Weapons have an advantage over specific unit types, if this is the case during combat, the attacker with the unit effective weapon rolls an additional D4 (four-sided die) on top of the usual damage calculations.  For example:

Marth uses Falchion, that is effective against Dragon-type units, against Corrin who is a Dragon-type unit.  Marth succeeds his attack roll.  Marth's Attack is 6, Marth's player rolls a 2 as part of Falchion's initial modifier, and rolls a D4 again for having unit effectiveness and rolls a 3.  Marth's total potential damage is 11 against Corrin.  Corrin has 4 Defense and takes 7 Damage.

Skills

Not all skills are used during combat, but it is obvious when those skills can be used.  If a Skill has an AP or HP cost, the appropriate amount must be used first to activate the skill.

Battle Skills such as Aether or Astra can be used whenever the player would like if they have the sufficient amount of AP or HP cost.  The Battle Skill is an additional set of potential damage, so be sure to do the damage calculations correctly and include the appropriate weapon damage additions.

There are skills that can be used whenever the player would like, but activating these skills at the correct times is key.  There's no point in activating a skill for something, if there's nothing to benefit from triggering it in the first place.

Weapon Triangle

The weapon triangle is the same as it is in Fire Emblem Fates.  Swords/Tomes beat Axes/Bows.  Axes/Bows beat Lances/Hidden Weapons.  Lances/Hidden Weapons beat Swords/Tomes.  If a character is attacking and has the weapon advantage, they deal +2 Damage.  For example:

If Chrom is using the lance Gradivus and attacks Roy who is using the sword Binding Blade, Chrom has the weapon advantage and will deal +2 Damage when calculating damage for the round.  Chrom's Attack is 7, Chrom's player rolls a 2 and has +2 due to weapon advantage.  Chrom's total damage is 11.  Roy's Defense is 5, Roy takes 6 Damage.

Characters

So the characters that I created first were the ones with amiibos, just because I had a physical representation to play test with.  They're all still a work in progress.  So I'll show their character cards.  Also, I deeply apologize for anyone who will get annoyed with the unorganized format as well as that the general format for these aren't consistent for all the characters.  And you guys might find some of the Skill symbols not be the actual skill, it's because the skills don't have actual symbols or an updated one.  I'm not that good when it comes to the graphic design stuff.  Most of the art is definitely the amazing art of the cipher cards and I think they look really good as opposed to just using their portraits.

Marth

The intent for Marth is that I wanted him to be a character that gets stronger with his Speed, which is why he has Speedtaker as well as a potentially strong Battle Skill of Dancing Blade.  He can also get a secondary chance on rolling to see if his attack succeeds.

5c96e245f37a2_CharacterCardMarth.png.b91ece1f8897eba863c3c15c915f6915.png5c96e2455e4af_CharacterBackMarth.png.d40c3de4672c2924cfd977a4f1170ce7.png

Tiki

Tiki is a bit similar to Marth in the sense that she'll attempt to use her Resistance instead of Speed.  This can make her quite a hard target for Magic-based units.

5c96e2f273914_CharacterCardTiki.png.f38ac1579ebee6fdd3759390f48055db.png5c96e2f1d1b42_CharacterBackTiki.png.cad32ec8a68c11156c67fbbc67364b14.png

Alm

The idea for Alm was to bolster his Defenses when damaged, but making his opponent's Defense low so he can hit hard.

5c96e322362f9_CharacterCardAlm.png.21509bd1da6d219555760f7ec49cbba9.png5c96e321c2154_CharacterBackAlm.png.06ff561f968a7726c1a18296d2d6e6d2.png

Celica

Celica can be a bit of a tank who can utilize that tankiness because she can effectively heal herself.  She does seem a bit too strong, so I might nerf her abilities.  However, she's been fun to play with.

5c96e351c1912_CharacterCardCelica.png.277788cd79e1f3ad7754a305a708cd0c.png5c96e3514d9ea_CharacterBackCelica.png.f3960ecdafcaff77bf040cae172e71f1.png

Roy

Roy I have being a bit of a tank under specific circumstances.  I gave him Lancebreaker since I didn't really find another weapon that fit him too well that wasn't already used quite a bit.

5c96e3733031b_CharacterCardRoy.png.58a2f41dbb8f76b67cda30ef9e1d42b9.png5c96e3726ccb1_CharacterBackRoy.png.a11b1609425e5e8563d48e5c4185409b.png

Ike

Ike is a powerhouse who'll hit hard and get more Attack if he defeats opposing units, but lacks the Resistance.  His Skill Radiant Hero is basically similar to Nihil and he has a powerful way to cancel big damage that can come his way or mess someone's strategy.

5c96e391e139b_CharacterCardIke.png.e6a7c6caf12eca0157bcba192d0866c8.png5c96e3917a6d8_CharacterBackIke.png.8140365f619427838f3b6ac50121ae40.png

Lucina

Lucina I have as a really speedy attacker that can have re-rolls happen to keep herself safe.  She is a bit on the weaker side of attacking so I might knock her Speed down by 1 and increase her Attack by 1.

5c96e3ce2e993_CharacterCardLucina.png.43e3cd03e7efe5ed126bb7c605e2d1dc.png5c96e3cdb8b9c_CharacterBackLucina.png.ecb9dc92b3dfa0afdfdcd25e03a8adc0.png

Robin

I tried to stay true to Robin's tactical nature by giving him skills that compliment that.  He's definitely someone who will be using AP often.

5c96e3e872406_CharacterCardRobin.png.0fd6f6d300d1eb751191e821d0df55da.png5c96e3e7e7a00_CharacterBackRobin.png.9d54d1140a37901358843dab8d960a2c.png

Chrom

I have Chrom acting to be someone to be a bit of a middleground character so he can stay in for a while, but also hit hard when he needs to.  I might change this to make him a bit more aggressive.

5c96e40241d7b_CharacterCardChrom.png.dbb17e86f143823136d5396040be639c.png5c96e401d731f_CharacterBackChrom.png.253f76db4738dc1de47e98083d8b000c.png

Corrin

I have Corrin acting as a character that is about debuffing opposing units as well as nullifying any potential harm towards them.  There's also an advantage of being able to use either a physical attack with the Omega Yato or magical attack with the Dragonstone.

5c96e4292dd0a_CharacterCardCorrin.png.e34e6306bf77b8f3aed3fb5d3a723ab3.png5c96e428b6222_CharacterBackCorrin.png.f45eacf0e1e8b48f2281a80b301d2be3.png

Enemy Units

I've created some enemy units as well.  Some are meant to be harder to deal with than others, but just like the Heroes, it's all a work in progress.  The number you see above their attack range is what will determine what attack they do.  The players will roll a D6 and depending on what it lands on, that attack will happen, if applicable.  Enemy units have the rule that they move towards the closest player within the shortest path possible.  If the enemy can attack, they have to.  If an enemy unit has a Skill and they have the necessary AP to activate the skill, they must activate the skill as soon as they can.

Enemy units can also be controlled by one solitary player who will control all of the units in whatever manner they would like.  Making it a bit of a team versus a solitary player.

Faceless

Faceless a pretty standard enemy unit to go against.  They hit hard, but they don't have anything special to make it harder for them to be defeated.

5c96e569d91fa_EnemyCardFaceless.png.83fdeb84f6a704fe19fa5aad8e399037.png

Soldier

An enemy Soldier that isn't too difficult to deal with, but can be annoying when swarmed together.

5c96e5a2d1200_EnemyCardSoldier.png.e1ec114bdd45e4b778d3b0ed8a7dbe49.png

Maps

Maps are essentially the battlefield.  I don't have much for the maps since I'm not good at the graphic design, but I'll be doing my best.  So far, I only have Arena Ferox as the basic map.  The light green tiles are healing tiles.  I'll most likely go back to thicken the lines of the tiles so they stand out more.

5c96e58799cca_ArenaFeroxResize.thumb.png.5f1bcb440543fa5761b321839ed30161.png

This is what I have for now.  I just thought I'd share this idea with you guys.  I may or may not see this into more fruition, but I thought it'd be a fun project to have.

Edited by MediocreLee

My eyes are too tired to read all of that (I made it to Status Conditions), but I just wanted to say that as someone whose favorite series is FE and who DMs for DnD, I have been known to think about marrying the two. But I have never come up with something so detailed. I applaud your dedication and wish you good luck should you continue developing the idea.