Dragon Quest Recommendation

McKarter

So no to any of the ones on mobile? Or any of the DS ones playable on the 3DS?

If so, well you only have two choices then: VII, and VIII. Of them VIII is definitely much better for beginners. VII takes about ~15-20 hours to unlock Vocations (classes) and its adventure format is not so readily digestible. VIII is still old Dragon Quest at heart, but, particularly with the 3DS version's modifications, is much more accessible.

Expanding to the DS entries, you have 4, 5, 6 and 9. The former three are a trilogy, but this matters for only one location and character, really. (Also minor lore you might not even notice playing.)

I've played all of them. Couldn't get into 6, but I'm not entirely sure the game was to blame. 9 is passable, and definitely screams "play my extensive postgame" that I never did. 4 is a solid entry, of course. But 5 is a fan favourite title for its story, even if 3 edges it out in the gameplay.

...Even without experience, I hear 8 might be a good starter, at least. I started with 9 and 5.

VIII is the most newbie friendly. It's relatively simple and straight forward, but very polished and has a better presentation.

I personally prefer VII(It's my favorite game of all time) but it's arguably the most hardcore/demanding game in the franchise, and it takes a while to get going.

Of the DS titles, V is also really good and high quality.

Edited by Slumber

I'm one of five people whose favorite DQ is VI, but I'd say VIII is the most beginner friendly.  

Simple game, not a lot of party members but they are all good characters and they work well as a group dynamic, only one part where grinding is particularly bothersome (before Dhoulmagus, as the fight with Dhoulmagus while technically doable is much harder so long as Angelo is below level 30).  

Also probably one of the better games storywise, at least imo.  

I think you cannot go wrong with Dragon Quest VIII, it was also my first one and it was nice enough. DQVII isn't bad either.
From 4-6 I liked 5 the most. So my recommendations are VIII and V. 

Ahh stupid me should have made clear, i only meant 3DS releases ((hard to find DS games now, but with your suggestions i will look into V for DS if i ever find one))

Hmm so far everything points out to VIII, i guess i will give that one a shot first

30 minutes ago, McKarter said:

Ahh stupid me should have made clear, i only meant 3DS releases ((hard to find DS games now, but with your suggestions i will look into V for DS if i ever find one))

Unlike with Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest only has two releases on 3DS (maybe a third, I don't remember what the deal is with DQXI and if it's even on 3DS), and the decision between 7 and 8 is night and day for a beginner. There's not much to say here.

Awakening, Birthright, Conquest and Shadows of Valentia have legitimate arguments with each other over depending on SRPG experience and interests. The odds of DQ7 being a better pick than DQ8 are astronomical. (Does the 3DS version still have some 2 hour file-start-to-first-Slime time? Was that even in the PS1 version?)

On 3/26/2019 at 10:38 PM, bethany81707 said:

I don't remember what the deal is with DQXI and if it's even on 3DS

To clarify this, the 3DS version exists... in Japan only.

Edited by Glaceon Mage