In your opinion, what video games disappointed you the most?

Roland

In your opinion, what are some games that you have played in your life that have disappointed you?

Off the top of my head:

• The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker: Might get called a heretic for this, but The Wind Waker didn't click with me in the slightest.
  • Metroid Other M: Damn near killed one of my favorite video game series of all time. 
  • Fire Emblems Awakening and Fates: For obvious reasons.
  • Metal Gear Solid 5: As the last MGS game made by Kojima, this one felt a bit underwhelming.
  • Blazblue Cross Tag Battle: The gameplay is overall solid, but that's really all this game has going for it and nothing else. This is basically the Arc System equivalent to Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite.
  • Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite: Speaking of which, super let down by this game. Like BBTAG, gameplay played nice, everything else was shot in the kneecaps. Seriously, who was in charge of this game's roster?
  • Dark Souls 2: I don't necessarily hate DS2, but when looking at the other games From Software has put out, it kinda pales in comparison for me.
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse: I thought I was getting a nice little "What if" scenario of SMT IV, what I got instead was "Shin Megami Tensei: Persona Edition." Not cool.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X: Easily the weakest of the Xenoblade trilogy. 
  • Ninja Gaiden 3: You had one job Team Ninja. One job.

Edited by Roland
Decided to remove a word.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Splatoon 2. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into the new weapons, and I miss the gamepad. I loved the original Splatoon, being able to quickly look down to see the map and just press where you want to superjump to. Splatton 2 just feels...weird without it. I also don't like the single player campaign, which is a shame because I hear the Octoling DLC is really good. Pearl and Marina annoy me too, they try too hard to be Callie and Marie, and it just falls flat.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, it's just not my cup of tea.

I'll also start with a Zelda:

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: This is the first instance in my life that I feel like I really discovered that games could disappoint me, and I largely blame it for making me the jaded gamer I am today. It's the whole reason I got a Wii, and I just found the artstyle dull, the overworld empty and lifeless, and the wolf segments bored me to tears. It's the only video game I ever recall falling asleep to, during the water temple.
  • Kingdom Hearts 2: This one I found disappointing when I went back to it. I initially really liked it, but upon replay, I just hated it. It just completely killed the magic of the original game for me with its shift in priorities.
  • Burnout Paradise: Burnout solidified itself as crazy arcade racing. Paradise toned this down, and running the same 5ish routes got very boring, very fast.
  • Grand Theft Auto IV: An example of a silly game franchise trying to take itself too seriously. Liberty City wasn't a pretty bad map with little to do in it, and it just goes to show that trying to model the a game environment off of real life doesn't mean it'll automatically be interesting to play in.
  • God of War 3: Never huge on God of War, but this was just a very dumbed down God of War game after 2 almost established itself as a proper action title.
  • Super Mario Galaxy: Might catch heat for this, but I hated the merging of 3D Mario and 2D Mario game design. The fun of the other two 3D Mario games(To me) was picking an objective and figuring things out on your own, possibly finding a different Star/Shine in the process. Galaxy just altered the levels so that you could really only tackle whichever objective you picked, and I never got attached to any of the levels like I did with 64 and Sunshine. Also another case of a game just scaling back basic gameplay elements that were very important in previous entries for no real good reason.
  • Final Fantasy X/XIII: Both games I hated when going back to. X I loved as a kid, but upon replay many years later, I hated the characters, dialogue and setting. XIII I was never super hot on, but I liked it well enough. Then I booted it up again about a week after initially beating it, and almost immediately it left a bad taste in my mouth. Same problems as X, but worse, on top of the narrative delivering itself in the most frustrating way.
  • Star Ocean 4: SO3 was a dumb fun action RPG with some doofy characters and dialogue, and SO2 is legitimately great. SO4 was a trash fire almost from top to bottom.
  • Dragon Quest IX: I know it's the core audience, but I think gearing this game so hard towards the Japanese player-base left this a pretty disappointing game.
  • Fire Emblem Sacred Stones: Another game I thought I enjoyed souring itself like crazy upon replay. I've addressed my grievances a ton about it.
  • Fire Emblem Awakening: This shouldn't need much explanation here.
  • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim: I still mostly like this game, but the scaling back in RPG elements killed a lot of potential this game had, and they godawful combat of the TES games couldn't carry this.
  • Fallout 4: Good ol' Bethesda, killing the roleplay elements and making the game less fun, while absolutely butchering the tone and storytelling that Fallout is known for.
  • Resident Evil 6: Turning Resident Evil completely into a spectacle action game was stupid. 4 and 5 towed the line in this regard. 6 crossed the line and tripped over it in the process.
  • Uncharted 3: Uncharted 2 being a crazy spectacle action game was novel and made sense in a lot of ways. By 3 is was clear they were kind of running out of ideas, and the fact that there's like 2 hours of blatant filler in a 9 hour game purely to deliver more spectacle is baffling to me. It was probably the first time I felt that this emphasis on spectacle over gameplay is going to be very bad for gaming, which I feel I was pretty right about.
  • Dark Souls 3: This is an interesting one, since I think this is a better game than Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne, but the fact that this curbs so much form other Souls games just left this a less special experience. Even with DkS2, it felt like they had some new ideas and were trying different things and twisting DeS/DkS1's ideas, but DkS3 just felt like they were going back to the well and copying DeS and DkS1. Weapon Arts also sucked, would have just preferred Power Stance coming back.
Edited by Slumber

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite: Speaking of which, super let down by this game. Like BBTAG, gameplay played nice, everything else was shot in the kneecaps. Seriously, who was in charge of this game's roster?

I can explain that easy enough. Marvel had a feud with Fox (recently ended by Disney's acquisition of Fox) because Fox wouldn't let them use the characters they had movie license to in the Marvel Studios films. This resulted in a ton of petty shit like Marvel outright cancelling the Fantastic Four comic and downplaying the characters from it to try and avoid advertising the reboot film, downplaying the X-men characters in the comics to the point of killing off Wolverine for a few years and doing a story where a bunch of people became Inhumans so they could use the Inhumans instead of Mutants to not promote those movies, changing Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch's parentage so they were no longer related to Magneto or mutants, rather being the High-Evolutionary's genetic experiments, killing off Quicksilver in Avengers 2 because Quicksilver sort of appeared in X-men Days of Future Past (though basically a different version and actor), changing Toro from a mutant to an Inhuman retroactively, and of course putting restrictions on MVC Infinite's roster so as to demand X-men and Fantastic Four characters be dropped in favour of characters such as the Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel. So basically, petty licensing bullshit that resulted in years of inferior product. For fucks sake, they even briefly changed Doctor Doom to be the "Infamous Iron Man" rather than Dr. Doom.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

• The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker: Might get called a heretic for this, but The Wind Waker didn't click with me in the slightest.

I can understand this fully. I love sections of the game... but god damn the sailing pisses me off. I've been told Hyrule Field is just as bad in Twilight Princess, but in that game there was scenery while sailing is largely the ocean.

Just Paper Mario Sticker Star: It speaks for itself how far the series fell.
Final Fantasy VIII: Not a good place to start the series. Put me off for several years on coming back.
Legend of Zelda A Link to The Past: I don't dislike this game. It's great. I just don't think it's quite as great as I was always told. Maybe because that damn Ice Dungeon pisses me off to no end with that one room that forces you to have the item from THE NEXT DUNGEON. What the hell? I know this was fixed in the GBA port, but come on.
Sonic The Hedgehog: I'd already played 2, 3 and &Knuckles by the point I got the original... so not being able to spin dash and the existence of Marble Zone and Labryinth Zone led to the thought this was vastly inferior.
Yoshi's Story: I expected a Yoshi's Island tier sequel. I got a sawn off version that I could get from start to finish in an hour. Admittedly the 30 melon a stage challenge and multiple stages give it replay value.
Wario World: I wanted Wario Land's equivalent to Super Mario 64. I got something more akin to Castlevania Legacy of Darkness. Not as bad as it could be (Castlevania 64), but not a masterpiece by any stretch.
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 1&2: These could have been a different franchise and it wouldn't have mattered. But as Castlevania games these were a disappointment.
Pac-Man World 3: After 1&2, this was like they'd dropped off a cliff in quality. What happened?
Final Fantasy Vii: For a game I've seen called the Greatest of All time, I don't think it's even the best Final Fantasy thanks to some of the minigames being rather irritating. But it's still good for the most part. The graphics aged like milk, but I don't hold that against a game.
Metroid: I played much of the series before... so going into the first game and having to deal with quality of life things like starting with 30 health and passwords and a lack of a map were a little frustrating. Still got to enjoy it especially towards the end, but it could have been better.

• Biggest one for me is easily Kingdom Hearts 3. After I completed it I realized that I went by and not much really happened, no interesting battles, cutscenes, anything. It was just lacking.
  • Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. It's  just really slow and I don't really like any of the map designs either. Plus the battle animations are really hard to watch if turned on.
  • Also going to say Final Fantasy Vii. I guess I don't understand what's so charming about it either. Not that it didn't have it's positive sides, just not noticeable enough for me.
  • Xenosaga 3. Besides Hakox which I found really fun, I can't find it in me to enjoy it at all. I liked the other two for their stories, this one is just odd.
  • Smash 4. Not sure why, but I never really liked it, everything just felt bland.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker: Might get called a heretic for this, but The Wind Waker didn't click with me in the slightest.

Finally someone else that doesn't like this game! I hate it because sailing is boring (though the swift sail in the HD game does improve it a little), the world is too empty because the islands are mostly tiny, and the game itself is too easy. I was just bored the whole way through.

I also agree with FE Awakening and Fates. I do not like the direction they have taken the series and while Three Houses looks really nice so far, I'm not getting my hopes up high that it'll be as good as pre-3DS games. Echoes was great though, I admit.

I'll put Zelda: Majora's Mask here as well. I can appreciate the depth a lot of NPC characters got, and Ikana Canyon is amazing, but the rest of the game is lame/boring and the 3 day system is too much pressure. Also, Majora was the most underwhelming final boss ever.

Lords of Shadow 2: it wasn’t the end Castlevania Lords of Shadow deserved. Not to mention the city was boring, hard to navigate at the end, and the length was reduced for the comparatively massive one of LOS

WII: it’s not a game, it’s a console full of underwhelming and disappointing games. I got a PS3 after years of Nintendo-only because of that thing

Fire Emblem Echoes - Shadows of Valentia

The characters, story, dialogue, OST, artwork, and mechanics are great. The map design - the most important part of the FE experience - is boring and abysmal. Meaning that this singular flaw brought Echoes down from what could have been a top notch FE game to, in my opinion, the least playable game in the franchise. I barely forced myself to finish the main story, and I have no intention to ever return to it or attempt the postgame content.

Anthem

How can the core gameplay and visuals be so fucking good, but literally everything else be so embarassingly bad?

Mass Effect Andromeda

Mass Effect deserved better. This game was worse than nothing.

Dragon Age Inquisition

Take all of the quality choice-based quests of Dragon Age Origins and replace them with mundane MMO-style questing. Poor effort.

Dynasty Warriors 9

I love Dynasty Warriors, but this game has no redeeming features. Even the huge quantity of content is a flaw when every single second of that experience is poor.

Guild Wars 2

While a fantastic game in its own right, it doesn't hold up as a sequel to one of, if not the, best and most intelligent games ever made.

Kingdom Hearts Franchise

None of them have aged well. Especially not the original game with its horrid "how was I supposed to know to do that" level design. On attempted replay, I just don't like these games anymore.

Tales of Zestiria

I used to love the Tales series, but this one ultimately killed it for me. Predictable storytelling. Bland, annoying characters. Random, frequent, and frustrating difficulty spikes. Overcomplication of a once simple combat system with new mechanic tutorials far too late into the game. Just not good at all. 

League of Legends 

Season 1 League of Legends was something exciting and unpredictable. Modern League of Legends is stagnant and meta driven to the point of gimping its entire genre's variety through player bleedover.

Edited by Etheus

i generally don't buy games i could dislike, so there are very few games which disappointed me, but these are some of those games (the ones i can remember, at least)

Assassin's Creed 3: i played it a long time ago, but i remember it bored me so much i even stopped playing if for several months, and it made abandon the series

Fire Emblem: Awakening and Fire Emblem: Fates: no

Inazuma Eleven GO: its matches have WAAAAY too many imposed objectives, you basically can't play a match the way you want because the game forces you to do stupidly specific things in order to proceed with the story. Inazuma Eleven games never did such a thing before (and after neither)

Final Fantasy XV: it just felt like a huge jumble of random things, even though i dont find it that bad after all. music's amazing though (thanks mommy yoko)

can't really add tokyo mirage sessions to the list because i expected nothing from that game, and nothing is what i got, so i can't say it disappointed me

Edited by Yexin

Splatoon 2: Probably my most disappointing Switch purchase and it's the one time digital downloads have backfired on me because that's $60 i'll never get back. I never played the first Splatoon so i was excited to try the sequel. And i enjoyed it......for about 2 hours. The single player campaign wasn't that fun and the multiplayer mode didn't feel all that engaging. Salmon Run was easily the best mode and it's locked to certain days. I hear Octo Expansion is good and if there was a standalone version of that, maybe i'd get it.

Nayuta no Kiseki: I mean, i haven't actually finished but it feels kinda lackluster. Even when i don't compare it to the mainline Trails games, it falls off short as a game and in the writing (i think the writing is ok but it didn't have the effort that was put into the mainline Trails series). It's an Action RPG but there's no substance to the combat so it feels like i'm playing a Tales game. Since it's a Trails game, i'll finish it eventually but it's just gathering dust in my files for now. But speaking of Tales games...

Tales of Phantasia and Tales of the Abyss: Like Nayuta, i also haven't finished these but unlike Nayuta, i don't care about Tales so i have no intention of going back and finishing these. Phantasia is dated but even with the dated elements, there were thing that made me go "this is bad game design". Why does casting magic cause everything to freeze in place, forcing you to wait until the animation is over before you, your allies and everything else can move again? For the record, i played the PS1 version. As for Tales of the Abyss, i played the 3DS version but it didn't feel like i was playing a 3DS game. It was better than Phantasia but that's not saying much. The thing with Tales games is that they're 2D Action RPGs that play like 3D games. Nayuta's combat doesn't really have substance but at least it clicks. I've given up on playing Tales games as a result.

Xenosaga Episode I: Xenosaga Episode II had a really bad battle system that made me wanna blow my brains out, but aside from that, Episode II is superior to Episode I in every way. Everyone knows i'm a huge Xeno fan so i didn't hate this game. But from the story being an overglorifed prologue, to the game only having like 5 songs to a battle system that was supposed to be an improvement of Xenogears' battle system but ended up feeling worse, Xenosaga Episode I is my least favorite Xeno game by a large margin. The best part of Episode I was Crispin Freeman's amazing performance as Albedo and that's something that carries over to Episodes II and III so it's not even special to Episode I.

Hyperdevotion Noire: I actually really like Hyperdimension Neptunia and after finishing all the mainline games, i decided to dive into the spin-offs. As a game, Hyperdevotion Noire is actually a pretty solid SRPG. What disappointed me was the writing. Neptunia games are hilarious. Hyperdevotion Noire.....isn't. I blame it all on the self-insert tbh. Hyperdevotion Noire was the second and final time the series goes anywhere near self-inserts and i can see why. For a series with loads of meta humor, they don't really do anything clever with the self-insert. It's a Neptunia game with the best girl as the lead so i'll probably finish Hyperdevotion Noire eventually but for now, it'll just gather dust.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776: WHOOOO BOY, these games. Everyone was always like "yo, Jugdral are the best games in the series" and i played them and i was like "no". If you know me, you've probably already seen my rants on the games but for those who haven't, here's a little tl;dr: FE4 in concept was good but most of it's mechanics were executed horribly. FE5 is just Kaga forgetting how to make games fun. The writing is the only redeeming quality and even then, Tellius and SoV had better writing. The only good Kaga era game was FE3.

Pikmin 3: It's the only Pikmin i played but i found it pretty boring. It could be that i'm not into RTS games but everything about Pikmin was so unappealing. I managed to finish it but ehhhhhhhhh.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M: It's Code Name S.T.E.A.M. I can't believe IS forgot how to make an SRPGs. Doesn't help that i've been playing Valkyria Chronicles recently and that's like an infinitely better version of Code Name S.T.E.A.M.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Xenosaga 3. Besides Hakox which I found really fun, I can't find it in me to enjoy it at all. I liked the other two for their stories, this one is just odd.

Xenosaga Episode III was in a peculiar situation because it was cramming in Episodes III through VI and that was because Namco fucked everything over. I thought it did things well all things considered. I do find it interesting that you didn't enjoy Episode III though since that's usually considered the best of the trilogy.

• Final fantasy tactics A2: I really loved playing the GBA game, but the sequel for the DS was just god-awful, they ruined the law system by locking limitations onto missions rather than days and the fact that the only real penalty for breaking the law was that you couldn't revive anymore because the rewards for the laws were a set list of usually crappy items anyway, and don't get me started on the infinite reinforcement missions, and the lacklustre auction system. 
  • Megaman Zero 4:  I hated the character art changes, hated the new cyber elf and it's unlimited usability, the removal of the shield boomerang and lack of a manueverability weapon made all the level designs feel super linear, while the level select allowed for more variation upon repeat runs, the fact that
  • Spoiler

The entirety of the ragnarok plan was pointless, stalling and Weil sucked as a boss

made it all feel a bit dull. Z4 was somewhat fun, but after Z3 it just felt dull

• Smash 4: The lack of a fun adventure mode like subspace felt like a waste of such a large roster to me.

• Combat of giants dinosaurs: was the first game I got when the 3DS came out, and it was disappointing I had it beat in a day, and it had poor replay value so yeah basically. 

I don't go out of my way to play stuff that I know that will disappoint me but there is a major exception. Mass Effect 3: The cracks started to show at the beginning and caved in by the end.

9 hours ago, Slumber said:

Uncharted 3: Uncharted 2 being a crazy spectacle action game was novel and made sense in a lot of ways. By 3 is was clear they were kind of running out of ideas, and the fact that there's like 2 hours of blatant filler in a 9 hour game purely to deliver more spectacle is baffling to me. It was probably the first time I felt that this emphasis on spectacle over gameplay is going to be very bad for gaming, which I feel I was pretty right about.

For Uncharted 3 I blame in interviews that discussed the team designed the levels first and then the story afterward. When I heard that it shed a lot of light on the game, Why for hours, Drake was killing pirates, all the way to the cruise ship sinking with little story purpose.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I'll put Zelda: Majora's Mask here as well. I can appreciate the depth a lot of NPC characters got, and Ikana Canyon is amazing, but the rest of the game is lame/boring and the 3 day system is too much pressure. Also, Majora was the most underwhelming final boss ever.

You've just insulted my favourite game. The one I play through at least once a year. Thankfully for both of us I'm not a petty neanderthal who feels the need to react to differing opinions on message boards by impersonating whoever stated them on other sites. Hopefully my excuse to take a potshot at that moron on fanfiction.net doesn't count as thread de-railing. While I disagree on the game being boring or lame as I find the different locations throughout contrast so well with what is typical of a 3D Zelda (not to mention the fact that, barring that one screen on the way into Snowhead, every area outside dungeons or mini-dungeons had something to find), I will concede the final boss was an anti-climax. Another flaw I'll admit, is Beneath the Well was poor design. You had no way of knowing what was needed there in a blind run.

3 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

You've just insulted my favourite game. The one I play through at least once a year. Thankfully for both of us I'm not a petty neanderthal who feels the need to react to differing opinions on message boards by impersonating whoever stated them on other sites. Hopefully my excuse to take a potshot at that moron on fanfiction.net doesn't count as thread de-railing. While I disagree on the game being boring or lame as I find the different locations throughout contrast so well with what is typical of a 3D Zelda (not to mention the fact that, barring that one screen on the way into Snowhead, every area outside dungeons or mini-dungeons had something to find), I will concede the final boss was an anti-climax. Another flaw I'll admit, is Beneath the Well was poor design. You had no way of knowing what was needed there in a blind run.

For a moment I got confused about what you're talking about, but then I remembered that ff.net impersonator that took a shot at me. Yeah. But sorry that MM is not my cup of tea at all, okay...

4 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Beneath the Well was poor design.

But this is in OoT, not MM...

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

For a moment I got confused about what you're talking about, but then I remembered that ff.net impersonator that took a shot at me. Yeah. But sorry that MM is not my cup of tea at all, okay...

But this is in OoT, not MM...

Don't worry about it. I just wanted the excuse to take a potshot at that idiot by making it look like I was getting angry about something. My best friend never could get past the first cycle of days in Majora's Mask. I understand not liking it, besides this is a thread about games that disappointed you.

"Beneath the Well" exists in Majora's Mask as well... it's just a different Well... with a different design flaw. It's the area in Ikana under the old well you go through to get into Ikana Castle. The problem being as I said, in a blind run you're not going to know what you need for those damn Gibdoes. Which might have been fine in another game, but in one with a 3 day time limit it became a problem. https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Beneath_the_Well

3 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

Don't worry about it. I just wanted the excuse to take a potshot at that idiot by making it look like I was getting angry about something. My best friend never could get past the first cycle of days in Majora's Mask. I understand not liking it, besides this is a thread about games that disappointed you.

"Beneath the Well" exists in Majora's Mask as well... it's just a different Well... with a different design flaw. It's the area in Ikana under the old well you go through to get into Ikana Castle. The problem being as I said, in a blind run you're not going to know what you need for those damn Gibdoes. Which might have been fine in another game, but in one with a 3 day time limit it became a problem. https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Beneath_the_Well

Okay, that's fine.

Oh, that. I remember that, I just didn't remember that it was in a well. xP

• Tales of Zestiria: The overworld feels so empty, armatization makes the battles totally unbalanced, some of the characters are not written very well. Alisha is one of the most wasted characters in terms of characterizations ever in videogames.
  • Super Smash Bros 4 (3DS): Sure, it is "Smash to go", but I honestly exepected a bit more content. At least more than two themes per stage would have been very nice. Even online mode did not make fun.
  • Fire Emblem Awakening: It should catch some newcomers by simplifying the battle mechanics, but for a veteran as I was when I bought the game, these reductions hurt the game play A LOT. Having only rout and defeat boss missions make this game monoton after a time. It also suffers on balance problems (= pair up). 

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenosaga Episode III was in a peculiar situation because it was cramming in Episodes III through VI and that was because Namco fucked everything over. I thought it did things well all things considered. I do find it interesting that you didn't enjoy Episode III though since that's usually considered the best of the trilogy.

Actually, I think the puzzles were great, and I liked the character's the way they were, sadly the story didn't do them justice in my opinion. Something about it's battle system felt a little to basic to me. I can't remember if they had the boost system in that game or not, but it was something about one and two I really liked. strategically manipulating turns was really in depth for such a simple combat system. Also, I really didn't like the E.S battles. the battle vs Margulis was very luck based without fire resistance, I had one person die cause his special is a one hit kill I couldn't prepare for, and the one against Erich is simply very annoying if anything. On a positive note, I thought that the games sound track was pretty stellar, as with all xeno games they did a fantastic job with putting musics to fit the settings of the scenes or places. I suppose to say it disappointed me isn't the right word, more like, I just liked the other two a lot more.

Edited by lightcosmo

Saints row 3 makes the top of my list. I really enjoyed the tone of Saints row 2. It was over the top, but not in the always 100% wacky way that 3 and its sequals did.

Saints row 3 had a good intro, but after that it became pretty much a total clownshow. I did't like the city, gameplay or radio as much either.

Edited by Sasori

Fire Emblem: Fates - Initial excitement about three different paths and the premise of "Nohr vs Hoshido" was tossed down the drain due to extremely poor storytelling and an obvious bias with Hoshido. The "deeprealm children" also did not help things. // That aside, Fates does have some awesome tracks and the gameplay of Conquest remains the best in the series.
Awakening may have its faults(notably being the "turning point" for veteran players vs newcomers due to the more anime/romance mechanics), but I got far more enjoyment and playtime out of Awakening's single path than all of Fates combined. I learned to appreciate Awakening far more since the release of Fates. I still haven't gotten around to finishing my Revelations file...

Pikmin 3 - I loved the original Pikmin and found 2 to be the high point of the series (the dungeons and reading the item entries were great!). However, 3 introduces a new cast and tasks for a player, and for some reason I just couldn't resonate with Pikmin 3. I don't even know if I beat the game or not, I just stopped playing at some point and forgotten about it.

Command and Conquer 4 - This game does not exist. I did not play this game. No, I did not. Honest.

Starbound - I was part of the initial launch hype for Starbound, especially since my group of friends decided to pool our money together to get a package deal out of it. We loved Terraria and at the time planned on making a Youtube series about us playing Starbound.
Needless to say Starbound did not deliver to its early access backers. While the current game is different and no doubt probably far better than it was at the start, I just can't really bring myself to play it. I rather go back and play Terraria again instead of Starbound, and I think the controls (especially when dealing with platforms) is a big reason why.

There's probably more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Out of all the games I've played very few have actually disappointing me(though I haven't really started branching out when it comes to playing different games until just a couple years ago) but here are a couple standouts.

Monster Hunter Generations: Not a bad game by any stretch and one I do legitimately like but overall just wasn't as fun or as interesting as 4 ultimate the game that came before. I still love the game just not as much as others in the series.

Pokemon gens six and seven: Pokemon for me has been somewhat on a decline for me as of late starting with x and y. Those games just felt so unfinished? underdeveloped? they just felt empty as far as the main game is concerned. It was far too easy and generally not that fun. Gen seven was a step in the right direction but was far too constrictive and linear. So many unskippable cutscenes with very stilted and static presentation is one way to lose my interest real fast. And again the game just felt really by the numbers in terms of design.

Smash 4: Just did not have enough single player content to keep my attention which was before I started getting serious about smash so yeah.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Now I've ranted about this game before on other threads so I'll try and keep this brief. I was excited for this game and legitimately thought it was good and fun when I first played it. However over time and after replaying a second time recently, I've begun to notice a lot of that games very glaring flaws in terms of map design and writing. Both of which are pretty horrendous in my honest opinion. I've ranted about the writing before but tl;dr I feel like Alm is a terrible protagonist that completely undercuts all the themes of the story. Gameplay while better has a really bad habit of just slogging you through very samey, bland, frustrating, and uninteresting maps. Really the only things I feel this game does better than awakening or fates are it's villains and presentation as well some game mechanics here or there. Other than that an overall lukewarm experience.

Edited by Ottservia

Hmm, probably don't have much, but here it goes:

• Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword and Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia: I couldn't decide which one I disliked more.
  • Street Fighter 5: Eh, just felt like this game was lackluster compared to the rest of Street Fighter's entries.
  • Resident Evils 5 and 6: Duh
  • All of the Kingdom Hearts games except for Birth By Sleep: KH doesn't deserve anywhere near the popularity it's garnered. It has Birth By Sleep, but outside of that, this is one the most overrated gaming series period.
  • All of the Tales of games: Basically in the same boat as KH, except this time there isn't a game I like.
  • Final Fantasy 8: This is the only JRPG that I can recall where I actually fell asleep as I tried to play it. 
  • Kirby Star Allies: It has fun co-op?
  • Devil May Cry: Fun story, but the gameplay gets super stale. Thank God for DMCs 3, 4, and 5.
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Most disappointing stealth game ever made, all just to prove a point. 
Edited by Decerd
Forgot a game. Whoops.

Fallout 4: The game is fine as a shooter but Bethesda forgot about the RP part. It also doesn't help how the default dialogue is set up.

Destiny: Bungie really could have brought something special with this by adding an epic tale but instead it ended up being a typical multiplayer loot shooter with nothing really special.

Mass Effect Andromeda: I was really hoping Bioware wasn't dead but this proved me wrong.

Diablo 3: I waited over a decade for this garbage?

Fire Emblem Shadows of Valencia: I liked it but the poor map design and dumped down map sprites hampered the enjoyment.

52 minutes ago, Decerd said:

Hmm, probably don't have much, but here it goes:

• All of the Kingdom Hearts games except for Birth By Sleep: KH doesn't deserve anywhere near the popularity it's garnered. It has Birth By Sleep, but outside of that, this is one the most overrated gaming series period.
  • Final Fantasy 8: This is the only JRPG that I can recall where I actually fell asleep as I tried to play it.

Actually, I'd expand that to say that Square is the most overrated developer in the industry (well, second most after the incompetent hacks at Bethesda Game Studios). 

The Final Fantasy series is at best inconsistent and at worst mediocre as a whole - and is only getting progressively worse. Frankly, even the best ones don't compare to a SMT or Persona. But in Square's defense, Dragon Quest is pretty good.