In your opinion, what video games disappointed you the most?

Roland

5 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

The Nintendo Power ROM download/write-in kiosks at Lawson convenience stores for the SNES? They've only stopped that in 2003, around or after the GC/GBA were released.

Only in Japan and the Japanese region always gets more Nintendo perks than the rest of the world. If you didn't live in Japan, you likely didn't even know it existed.

In relation to the above, Fire Emblem Thracia 776? That was released in 2000, well into the N64 era.

And it sold like shit. Almost as if releasing a game for an outdated console near the end of the current console and right before the launch of the current console's successor is a terrible idea.

The Disc System on the original NES? Production only stopped like 2003 - that's even after GC/GBA were released.

Also Japan-exclusive and even if it wasn't, games for the Disc System stopped being made after 1992 so it's amazing that they kept manufacturing a peripheral for like 20 years without making new games for it.

Customer support in general? From what I've seen, they only stopped the repairs well after the last games were released on that generation. Game Boy and GBA? Repairs ended in 2016. N64? Ended in 2007, during the Wii era. GameCube? 2012, during theĀ 3DS/Wii U era.

They still do that though? Granted, i doubt they'll fix up your broken NES but they'll still fix up your Wii and DS Lite if you need it to. I imagine in a few years they'll stop repairing Wii and DSes but that's a natural thing to do.

I took that from Nintendo of America's website so i don't know how it is elsewhere.

If they can do all of the above, and especially the Disc System and the Nintendo Power ROM, then why is it so fucking difficult for Dick-tendo to keep the same sustained support for the WiFi. Surely that's easier with less infrastructure than the two I've just mentioned.

Because there's no point in having two separate wi-fi services, especially since Nintendo Wi-Fi was pretty archaic as it only allowed for specific things. Nintendo Network and later Nintendo Online were more universal and more in-line with the online services offered by Microsoft and Sony. Granted, Nintendo's still been backwards when it comes to online (*cough* peer-to-peer instead of servers *cough*) but i don't see why anyone would be upset that Nintendo got rid of it's most primitive mode of online, especially after it went horrendously wrong in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Yeah, it really just sounds to me like you get upset when game companies drop support for their outdated things, even though dropping support for outdated things is a perfectly natural thing to do. And yes, i don't consider everything you mentioned (aside from Thracia and customer support) to be support. Like i said before, Disc System games stopped being made in 1992 and even though the Disc System itself kept being manufactured, with no new games being made for it, it was pointless and a waste or resources. I don't think anyone was rushing to the store to buy a Disc System in 2000 anyway.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, it really just sounds to me like you get upset when game companies drop support for their outdated things, even though dropping support for outdated things is a perfectly natural thing to do.

That, and they just have an axe to grind with a company so much they resort to using obscenitiesĀ to describe it (which is reasonable if the company raised the price on your little sister's heart medication from $50 to $500, or if they led her to get cancer due to toxic waste dumps near her school, etc., but not something like this). Can't do much about that. Persuasion doesn't really work at this point.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1. Fire Emblem Fates: I was extremely interested in the game; the first two trailers made it seem like it would have a really deep narrative with interesting characters, and I thought the gameplay would be at least as good as it usually is in Fire Emblem. I was wrong on every level.Ā 
  2. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: I wasn't expecting much; just that they'd update and enhance the story while delivering a refinement of the unique gameplay that Gaiden was known for. This one wasn't as disappointing as Fates, but Alm being perfect and overshadowing Celica instead of the two being flawed characters that complement each other, along with some other story issues, really brought the game down for me.Ā 

Now, onto the non-FE examples:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures: I bought this game thinking I would be able to play the game with my siblings, only to then start the game and find out that we needed those Gameboy Advance controller things if we wanted to play the game together. Fortunately, at least the single-player version was alright.
  2. Mario Kart 8: No Bowser Jr., a battle mode that wasn't really a battle mode, and the game itself was poorly balanced. The whole game felt like it had been rushed out the door. I was especially disappointed with my choice to get Mario Kart 8 when, only a week after I bought it, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was announced for the Switch.Ā 

I've seen this one a lot on the thread, but Shadows of Valentia.

IĀ reallyĀ wanted to like this game, but the gameplay ruined it for me. Some parts of it feel impossible to play through, and I felt myself getting more frustrated with the game than I was having fun with it. I didn't care too much for the characters either, only a handful of them I actually liked.Ā 

I was just really disappointed, since I was so excited going into this game only to be really let down.Ā The art and soundtrack for the game is amazing though, I'll give it that!

I do not thinkĀ "disappointing" might be the right word, but seriously most of the Fire Emblem main parts after Radiant Dawn could not really impress me.Ā 

• FE11is a carelessly designed remake with like no improvements compared to the original. And the very few ones like adding Tellius's weapon weight were mostly bad.Ā 
  • FE12 is fine overall. Only the avatar could have been executed a bit better, but still more bearable than the one in 14.
  • I said my opinion about FE13 in my previous comment, so I skip that.Ā 
  • FE14 as a whole has easily the weakest story of the series. Gameplaywise it was a big improvement though.Ā ConquestĀ has a very good balance and I really like that it is a game which forces the player to use the given resources efficiently. In no other part it has been that much of focus as in this part.Ā BirthrightĀ is basically a better designed FE13.Ā RevelationĀ tries to be innovative in terms of map design by adding certain gimmicks from RPGs. Unfortunately very most of them do not work with the mechanics of FE for being a round based strategical game. It slows down the game way too much and the partly luckbased gimmicks do not nothing else than punishing the player without reason.Ā 
  • EchoesĀ has a great story, but gameplaywise it leaves to be desired. The map design is bad to terrible in very most chapters, especially the terrain.Ā 
Edited by Little Princess

1 hour ago, Little Princess said:

Ā 

• FE11is a carelessly designed remake with like no improvements compared to the original. And the very few ones like adding Tellius's weapon weight were mostly bad.Ā Ā 

Not to derail, because this is opinion based, but FE11 added quite a bit of Quality of Life to modern FE in general, with much of it's phases, being able to skip them instantly, quickness in general and more. Which was a massive complaint in the likes of FE4 and Tellius.Ā 

Not to mention reclassing for quite a bit of fun for variety sake.

FE1 is also kind of a slog so saying it didn't improve it even there is kind of a brutal understatement. Not to mention making it's wide cast a little more viable overall with the additions of reclass and alterations to growths.Ā 

So while you can dislike it, I just felt the want to point those out, sorry if it was a little out of place haha.

Edited by Jedi

17 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, it really just sounds to me like you get upset when game companies drop support for their outdated things, even though dropping support for outdated things is a perfectly natural thing to do. And yes, i don't consider everything you mentioned (aside from Thracia and customer support) to be support. Like i said before, Disc System games stopped being made in 1992 and even though the Disc System itself kept being manufactured, with no new games being made for it, it was pointless and a waste or resources. I don't think anyone was rushing to the store to buy a Disc System in 2000 anyway.

Fine, agree to disagree then, prick.

Edited by henrymidfields

5 hours ago, Jedi said:

Not to derail, because this is opinion based, but FE11 added quite a bit of Quality of Life to modern FE in general, with much of it's phases, being able to skip them instantly, quickness in general and more. Which was a massive complaint in the likes of FE4 and Tellius.Ā 

Not to mention reclassing for quite a bit of fun for variety sake.

FE1 is also kind of a slog so saying it didn't improve it even there is kind of a brutal understatement. Not to mention making it's wide cast a little more viable overall with the additions of reclass and alterations to growths.Ā 

So while you can dislike it, I just felt the want to point those out, sorry if it was a little out of place haha.

I have to admit I have neither played FE1 nor book 1 of FE3, but I know some differences at least.Ā 

Yeah, FE11 has weapon durability, weapon triangle and weapon weight (even if last mentioned is poorly executed because strength as buffer heavily screws magic user with their 0% strength growth) .Ā 

Having ingame save points is neat although I would have preferred flexible quick battle save.Ā 

Ā 

However there are additions which are actually not needed as badly they are implemented.Ā 

The game forces the player to let people die to get the exclusive FE11 characters, means bad playing is rewarded. It is for me the dumbest addition to the series besides that chapter in Revelation with the door gamble.Ā 

Ā 

Essential changes like fixing the bases a / o growths of the characters did not happen. For me the half cast was unusable, due to the lack of characterization, it did not exist. That means this game had not much replaybility because I always was stuck with the same characters.Ā 

Ā 

This game did not unlock its full potential overall.Ā 

Holy.Ā  Shit.

Everyone's gonna have different tastes.Ā  One person's OMG THE BEST is another's WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF.Ā  It's one thing to disagree with it, but is it so damn hard to respect other people's opinions?Ā  Signed, a Shadow Dragon fan.

In other words, I'd rather NOT have to lay down the law here, but if I see any more pettiness in this thread, I'll warn first and probably won't apologize for it.

Since I don't have very high expectations, I'm usually not disappointed by much.Ā  One that sort-of did was Knights in the Nightmare. This was mostly a gameplay issue, as I don't much care for bullet hell.

I'm gonna avoid anything FE related here/not bitch about SoV and instead talk about a game from my other favorite videogame series:

Ā 

Monster Hunter World.

I've made $50 from my complaints about this game because my review on gamefaqs got a review of the month award.

The game went all in on Western audiences at the expense of the franchise's soul. Instead of 3 second loading screens dividing areas there are seamless maps... that will instead have you running around far more than you every would in a prior game, meaning it's a lot more non-combat time in general.

The monster variety is abysmal, only focusing on 4 classes (Flying Wyverns, Bird Wyverns, Brute Wyverns, and Fanged Wyverns-- oh and Elder Dragons), with very few of the new monsters being actually original and largely re-using the movesets of monsters not in the game. In addition, several of the new monsters have hitboxes on attacks that are as bad as the 1st generation Monster Hunter games (Anjanath's the big offender here). Also, they're all reptilian monsters.

The combat itself got ruined by virtue of letting you sprint around while drinking a potion instead of being locked in place. Just like that, the risk of combat is dramatically reduced-- you will almost always heal near a monster as long as you have stamina to sprint and keep an eye on it.

The balance is absolutely awful. Several weapons get to just vomit out ludicrously powerful attacks almost for free while others are forced to actually play the game (it's telling that the slowest time in speedhunts is generally 7-8 times as slow as the fastest time-- compared to Generations where it was "only" twice as much).

Also, the soundtrack sucks and the visuals are dull and gritty, with the whole game looking very desaturated. And there's no blood flashes on hit.

...However, I did like how every weapon type gained multiple new moves.

Edited by The DanMan

3 hours ago, eclipse said:

Since I don't have very high expectations, I'm usually not disappointed by much.Ā  One that sort-of did was Knights in the Nightmare. This was mostly a gameplay issue, as I don't much care for bullet hell.

I'm not even disappointed about it because it's a bullet hell - I'm disappointed because the tutorial is long and horrible at explaining how the game works and what you're supposed to do. I don't know what they had in mind, since RPGs was the series' main style and they ditched it for a completely different genre. The OST and designs look cool, but it didn't save the game for me.

I have a couple of disappointments to fuel the pyre (though most of them are the same stuff).

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
It's not necessarily a bad game. There is a fair amount of strategies you can pull off and reclassing can be fun to mess around with. It also plays far better than the original which is seriously outdated by today standards.
But the thing is I played this at its release and by that time I already played through 7, 8, 9 and 10. Seeing so many mechanics not translated at all makes it for me a very disappointing experience. It also has the worst form of Gaiden chapters in the entire series.
Despite this it's the only disappointing title among these I'm still playing sometimes.

Fire Emblem: Fates
As much as I dislike the "modern" FE games I still have some fun with Awakening (mostly everything pre-Timeskip) and Echoes was a good way to experience Gaiden with its very strong presentation.
I don't have such fun with Fates. Yes, it significantly improved the pair-up mechanic and its premise was interesting but I cannot be bothered with the overtuned skills, caricature-esque characters and awful story. Say what you want of the other FE stories but at least they were functional.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
I blame this game for many things. Like being hopeful for a Golden Sun 4, continued exposure of this decade-old series for the times to come, Isaac in Smash and so on. Even though I should start accepting that this series was better of being built on 2 great RPGs.
From very questionable design choices (ignoring previous lore, the infamous points-of-no-return, weapon mechanics) to constantly making callbacks to Lost Age Dark Dawn doesn't have the same impact as the previous titles. It pretty much depends on the series' fame to sell itself otherwise you will not find a more bland RPG on the DS.
Since we're not even hearing rumors of GS4 this game still leaves a bad aftertaste.

TLoZ: Skyward Sword
This was a wreck on all fronts. Wind Waker has the aspect of sailing around the massive ocean with a decent story and Twilight Princess boasts some really good dungeons. But Skyward Sword ... uuuuuuh. Aside from the Ancient Cistern and Ghirahim I struggle to find positives for this game.
I don't even mind the motion controls, they are not super terrible (in fact they are slimmed down a lot from 1:1 motion) and the RPG-esque aspects like limited inventory was an interesting concept in theory. But not only does it have the worst padding in the entire Zelda series it reaches X7 levels of overtutorialization throughout the entire game.

Speaking of which:

Megaman X7
3 words. F***. This. Game.

It just felt like such a downgrade compared to the other Fire Emblems released in the west. I recall going in with the knowledge it wouldn't entirely hold up compared to Tellius or even the GBA games but I still wasn't prepared at all for a Fire Emblem where the vast majority of the cast was mute and the villains didn't even bother to show up for work. It goes against what I consider a core aspect of Fire Emblem so I never warmed up to the game.Ā 

Fable 3

Fable was never exactly a great franchise but I always enjoyed my time with it. The first two Fables weren't brilliant but they were cute, enjoyable and had a unique identity of their own. Fable 3 wasn't any of that. It was a rush job with half baked ideas, reused assets and an unfinished ending. It even went against its very identity as a Fable game by trying to be grey instead of cartoonishly black and white.Ā 

Fire Emblem Warriors:

I'm decently satisfied with what FE Warriors turned out to be, but its been my dream crossover for years so I'm mostly aware of what itĀ isn't.Ā Firstly a crossover that insists a core part of the fanbaseĀ isn't welcome at the party has already failed as a crossover, but when making peace with that I still notice all the things that are missing like proper class representations, good or even average villains, and a decent story.Ā 

Its a fun quality product but its not what it should have been and I think Koei and Nintendo were never really interested in what FE Warriors could have been, but rather just wanted to quickly capitalize on Fire Emblem current time in the spotlight.Ā 

I got some more disappointing games to add, so here they are.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - This game really didn't disappoint me as much as it was just... forgettable. I honestly can't really recall what happens in Shadow Dragon although I did enjoy some of the charactersĀ (Cain, Abel, Frey,Ā Julian, Caeda, Lena, Linde). I loved the Ballista unit and messing around with that was fun and some of the soundtrack was interesting, but...
It is just not memorable to me at all. While a part of me wants to replay it so I can try to remember Marth's story, another part of me can't be bothered (especially since I don't use the reclass system to its fullest extent, preferring "canon" classes over broken combos).

Diablo III - I wasn't a hardcore Diablo fan, but I grew up watching my dad play Diablo II (I was designated as "Potion Guy," who essentially just hit the hotkeys whenever health was low.). I thought about getting 3 but skipped over it due to the overwhelming negative response. Eventually Reaper of Souls came out and there was a discount bundle that I ended up purchasing.
The game itself is polished and the gameplay was fun enough, but what the heck did they do to the lore? Once World of Warcraft became a thing and Warcraft 3 faded away, all the stories Blizzard came up with seemed to trip over themselves and be a mess. There may have been some diamonds in the rough, but man, sometimes I wonder where classic Blizzard went. All that remains is Activision.

Fire Emblem Heroes - Yeah, I'm putting this on here. I was too invested in Heroes and became disillusioned after Ayra and Mythic Blessings. My main gripe was the "skill treadmill" (similar to "gear treadmills" in MMOs), where new skills and characters would basically be superior to the older ones in every way. The story elements were also hit or miss, leaving onlyĀ the characters and a simplified form of "proper" Fire Emblem gameplay to keep me interested. This wasn't enough for me to overlook the direction FEH was taking, so I quit after a short time after Aether Raids was released.
These days I play Langrisser Mobile which satisfied my SRPG craving, although it has plenty of problems of its own. The most notably being the poor localization and mistranslated tooltips...

For a different direction (games that disappointedĀ others here but I enjoyed), I loved Shadows of Valentia. While I agree on the main story having its issues, I loved the gameplay. The main "mechanical problem" in Echoes was not the gameplay itself, but the map design. Better map design would have make Echoes a far better game (and maybe less Desert/Marsh maps), but as it was a remake it was somewhat tied on that front. I point to the Deliverance DLC to see what SoV gameplay mechanics could have been like with map objectives and "better map design."
Then again, I do tend to be more of a story guy instead of being focused solely on gameplay, so the presentation of Shadows of Valentia blew me away. The presentation was so spectacular to me that I could overlook the shortcomings of the gameplay and plot.

Also, I loved Xenoblade Chronicles X. While it is easily the worst regarding the main story (it is basically nonexistent) with the music taking a lot of getting used to, the lore and the world of Mira fascinated me. XCX had me hooked and I played about 100 hours theĀ week after purchase. I loved the gameplay and messing around with the Skells. The sidequests were amazing and memorable as well, from Professor B's work on his "Delorean" car, to a "Resident Evil" section, or even one with some horror elements after meeting another party and their fate.
Sadly I never got around to beating the superbosses or properly tackling the "online bosses" as I stopped playing after getting the Ares 90. I would love to go back to it again though and would probably love replaying it again if it ever got a Switch port.

11 hours ago, Magus of Memery said:

I have a couple of disappointments to fuel the pyre (though most of them are the same stuff).

It's not necessarily a bad game. There is a fair amount of strategies you can pull off and reclassing can be fun to mess around with. It also plays far better than the original which is seriously outdated by today standards.
But the thing is I played this at its release and by that time I already played through 7, 8, 9 and 10. Seeing so many mechanics not translated at all makes it for me a very disappointing experience. It also has the worst form of Gaiden chapters in the entire series.
Despite this it's the only disappointing title among these I'm still playing sometimes.

Fire Emblem: Fates
As much as I dislike the "modern" FE games I still have some fun with Awakening (mostly everything pre-Timeskip) and Echoes was a good way to experience Gaiden with its very strong presentation.
I don't have such fun with Fates. Yes, it significantly improved the pair-up mechanic and its premise was interesting but I cannot be bothered with the overtuned skills, caricature-esque characters and awful story. Say what you want of the other FE stories but at least they were functional.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
I blame this game for many things. Like being hopeful for a Golden Sun 4, continued exposure of this decade-old series for the times to come, Isaac in Smash and so on. Even though I should start accepting that this series was better of being built on 2 great RPGs.
From very questionable design choices (ignoring previous lore, the infamous points-of-no-return, weapon mechanics) to constantly making callbacks to Lost Age Dark Dawn doesn't have the same impact as the previous titles. It pretty much depends on the series' fame to sell itself otherwise you will not find a more bland RPG on the DS.
Since we're not even hearing rumors of GS4 this game still leaves a bad aftertaste.

TLoZ: Skyward Sword
This was a wreck on all fronts. Wind Waker has the aspect of sailing around the massive ocean with a decent story and Twilight Princess boasts some really good dungeons. But Skyward Sword ... uuuuuuh. Aside from the Ancient Cistern and Ghirahim I struggle to find positives for this game.
I don't even mind the motion controls, they are not super terrible (in fact they are slimmed down a lot from 1:1 motion) and the RPG-esque aspects like limited inventory was an interesting concept in theory. But not only does it have the worst padding in the entire Zelda series it reaches X7 levels of overtutorialization throughout the entire game.

Speaking of which:

Megaman X7
3 words. F***. This. Game.

How baffled are you to know BURN TO THE GROUND BURN BURN TO THE GROUND is in fact the exact same in the Japanese version?

Ā 

Ā 

I CANT BELIEVE IT EITHER

Ā 

WHAT DID THEY HATE THE HUMANITY SO MUCH
Ā 

DID THE SHEER BADNESS THAT IS INAFUNE'S ORIGINAL IDEA FOR MEGAMAN ZERO LEAKED OVER?
Ā 

NOBODY KNOWS BUT ALL WE KNOW IS THAT SHIT IS AN ABOMINATION

I'm like @eclipse in that I try and keep my expectations low. With that said, I have my fair share of games that have disappointed me in one way or another.

• Fire Emblem Fates: Let's get the easy one out of the way first. I got hyped, the game failed to live up to that, blah-blah-blah. And yes, I still despise all the main characters 'cept Corrin
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate: I've already talked at length as to why this game isn't "teh BEST WARRIORS GAME eVAR!!1!" to me, so I won't repeat myself here. Suffice it to say that I have several problems with this one that aren't present in other, better (imo) Warriors games like All-Stars or DW8XL. My disappointment in this one largely stems from the fact that the community at large kept hyping it up as if it was the second coming of any messiah-like figure that exists in your preferred religion, something it really REALLY failed to live up to for me. Music-wise, it's also one of the weaker Warriors games, especially when compared to the marvel that is DW8's soundtrack.
  • PokĆ©mon Generation 4 (Mainline games): This is where my patience with the entire franchise started to wear thin. Between Ranger Guardian Signs and Explorers of Sky, the 4th Generation of PokĆ©mon will always be the strongest when it comes to spin-off games, but the mainline games were simply not fun. The selection of PokĆ©mon you had access to in D/P was poor, especially when compared to R/S, the gameplay in all the games was really slow, so much so that I had to resort to using cheat codes to speed things up to make it even slightly bearable. Let's not even get started on the copious amounts of handholding D/P/Pt make you suffer through. And HGSS brought all the problems I had with the original Gen 2 games back with a vengeance. The worst part? These games are easy as pie once your PokĆ©mon are sufficiently levelled. I love Moltres, don't get me wrong, but I shouldn't be able to beat the entire PokĆ©mon League in Diamond using only a level 72 Moltres that I have just transferred from FireRed, is what I'm saying.
    I'm also not a fan of many, many new PokƩmon that came out this gen (in fact, I only really like 6 or so, excluding evolutions to older 'mons), so there's that, as well. To me, one of PokƩmon's lowest points.
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory: Gameplay-wise, one of the better games in recent memory, story-wise... not so much. After the magnificence that was the original Cyber Sleuth, this one failed to live up to its predecessor, in the story and writing department especially. Sure, there are way more Digimon to choose from, but that's pretty much all the advantages Hacker's Memory has over the original game.
  • Etrian Mystery Dungeon: I love PMD, I love EO. I love this game, too, right? Well, I do LIKE the game, I just eventually realized that EO's class based system and strategy-based combat doesn't fit well with Mystery Dungeon gameplay. Also, random difficulty spikes pretty much everywhere for no discernible reason. No wonder they never brought the second game over to the west. A damn shame, because I really wanted to like this game.
  • Persona 4: Golden: Probably a big one here. I LOVE Persona 5, I would go so far as to list that game as... at least in my top 5 of all-time favourite games, so when I got Persona 4 Golden on my Vita, I was reasonably excited to play it, since this is another game that people hold in high regard. Rightfully so, I might add. The game is fantastic... until you get to the dungeons. The dungeon design in this game is bland, especially when compared to Persona 5. At least I learned the lesson that you should never play newer games before older ones in Atlus' franchises, because the newer ones will always have improvements that make them straight up better than their older brethren, gameplay-wise at least.
    My other complaint is that I can't stand half of the main cast, which severely hindered my enjoyment of what is otherwise a VERY GOOD story. But when three of the characters that constantly hang around you just get on my nerves every time they open their mouths, we have a problem. If you're wondering, the three characters are Yosuke, Chie and Teddie.
  • Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey: Redux: Speaking of lessons I never learned, this game is another one of THOSE cases. Awesome gameplay, intriguing enough story, but extremely shitty dungeon design. Like... a five-year-old's-first-time-DM'ing-a-game-of-D&D-levels of shitty. I hate puzzles that involve teleporters, trap doors that drop you down one floor and make you start over and sliding on ice. This game has all three of these. Sometimes all at once. On top of a stupidly high encounter, this makes the game mostly frustrating rather than fun. I'm also not a fan of most of the characters you interact with, since they are mostly Generic Military Guy #1-ad infinitum. Even your CHARACTER is Generic Military Guy #247. The game would have been much cooler if you could play as Edgy Yukiko Alex, the girl in the red coat that is front and centre on all the promotional material for this game.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

If you're wondering, the three characters are Yosuke, Chie and Teddie.

Ok chie and teddie I can understand but yosuke is one of my fave characters in that game. Heā€™s just such a bro and dork and I love him. Thatā€™s just me though. Also being voiced by yuri lowenthal is always a plusĀ 

18 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Ok chie and teddie I can understand but yosuke is one of my fave characters in that game. Heā€™s just such a bro and dork and I love him. Thatā€™s just me though. Also being voiced by yuri lowenthal is always a plusĀ 

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
With that aside, being voiced by Yuri Lowenthal is definitely a plus. Sadly, everything else about him is just that stereotypical "I'm the perverted anime classmate that gets my best bro in trouble because I'm so perverted. Aren't perverted people funny? LOL!" That "Operation Babe Hunt" bit will always be one of my least favourite segment in any game simply because how groan inducing it was.
I liked Yosuke in the beginning of the game, where his true bro tendencies shone through, but it went downhill very, very fast for me.

As far as Chie is concerned, it's more her voice that gets on my nerves than her actual character. Don't get me wrong, her voice actress is seriously talented, but for whatever reason, in this game, she has managed to make her character incredibly annoying. And Teddie was just a bad idea in general. Morgana is much, MUCH better.
Persona 4 Golden in general is that weird game where the side characters are more interesting than the actual playable ones...

@DragonFlamesYo real talk

Ā 

Of all character in SJ the only one thats genuinely enjoyable was the Laborarory duo. Theyre amusing, they had the right amount of enthusiasm and seriousness providing (ahem) a much neccesary cooldown from the grimdark atmosphere in the game. I get that say.... Zelenin is meant to be deliberately off on her head....Ā doesnt make me like her any more knowing that. Jimenez tried but yeah

Ā 

In fact i hated how much they repeated the exact musical direction acrossĀ the entire game. Good or not, use the exact same musical direction over and over and it ended up grating and annoying, something that happened to Fates with that song that should not be named

Ā 

Also yeah after Delphinus they really dropped the ball on dungeon designs making them overly bloated for practically no reason. I turned on the no random ecounter and theres no regrets.

EOV is genuinely the very first time i found a teleporter maze enjoyable and its entirely because they had the right idea making them NOT random and arbritrary, it always used directions which make it easy to observe and make the proper move by looking at the mini map. Having played SJR right after.... well, 3 whole playthrough of EOV made it much more glaring

4 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

@DragonFlamesYo real talk

Ā 

Of all character in SJ the only one thats genuinely enjoyable was the Laborarory duo. Theyre amusing, they had the right amount of enthusiasm and seriousness providing (ahem) a much neccesary cooldown from the grimdark atmosphere in the game. I get that say.... Zelenin is meant to be deliberately off on her head....Ā doesnt make me like her any more knowing that. Jimenez tried but yeah

Ā 

In fact i hated how much they repeated the exact musical direction acrossĀ the entire game. Good or not, use the exact same musical direction over and over and it ended up grating and annoying, something that happened to Fates with that song that should not be named

Ā 

Also yeah after Delphinus they really dropped the ball on dungeon designs making them overly bloated for practically no reason. I turned on the no random ecounter and theres no regrets.

EOV is genuinely the very first time i found a teleporter maze enjoyable and its entirely because they had the right idea making them NOT random and arbritrary, it always used directions which make it easy to observe and make the proper move by looking at the mini map. Having played SJR right after.... well, 3 whole playthrough of EOV made it much more glaring

Where the ball really did drop for me was the new (?) dungeon, the Womb of Grief. Good lord, that thing was terrible. But Delphinus onwards was pretty sh** in its own right, I definitely agree on that front.
Also, the final final boss of the Neutral path can go to hell and never come back.
Music-wise, I agree somewhat, though honestly, I found the music more dull than annoying, especially in the battle theme department (though the boss battle theme is pretty awesome, as is Alex' battle theme).
EOVs teleporters were fair and enjoyable, I definitely agree on that one. I just never made it through the 6th stratum in that game because I couldn't beat the boss needed to raise the level cap. The only two EO's that I did manage to beat in their entirety (as in, beat stratum 6) are 2 Untold and Nexus. I attempted it in Untold (and failed miserably) and never even tried EOIV's.

I also honestly had to look up who Zelenin and Jimenez even are, that's how little I cared about them.

13 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Where the ball really did drop for me was the new (?) dungeon, the Womb of Grief. Good lord, that thing was terrible. But Delphinus onwards was pretty sh** in its own right, I definitely agree on that front.
Also, the final final boss of the Neutral path can go to hell and never come back.
Music-wise, I agree somewhat, though honestly, I found the music more dull than annoying, especially in the battle theme department (though the boss battle theme is pretty awesome, as is Alex' battle theme).
EOVs teleporters were fair and enjoyable, I definitely agree on that one. I just never made it through the 6th stratum in that game because I couldn't beat the boss needed to raise the level cap. The only two EO's that I did manage to beat in their entirety (as in, beat stratum 6) are 2 Untold and Nexus. I attempted it in Untold (and failed miserably) and never even tried EOIV's.

I also honestly had to look up who Zelenin and Jimenez even are, that's how little I cared about them.

huh you havent played original SJ?

Ā 

And yes Womb of Grief is like....

Womb Ingress was meh. Its a sliding puzzle but its a small room with nothing really going on

and then Womb 1. Fuck whoever designed this map

Womb 2 the pitfall was ok because for once they realized pitfall is dumb and gives a VISUAL CUES for them

Womb 3 is Phase shift to bypass Alex beefgate. I would admit Phase Shift is one of my most hated aspect of SJ - being literally just extra map bloats to go past a locked gate in its essence

Haven't done 4 since i dropped the game for EO Nexus which is fun and everyone should play, also EO2U is really good

Ā 

So yeah its kinda hit and miss, and it kinda says a lot that Pitfall was the BEST map on that mess

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

I normally do some non-spoilery research around the games I buy and adjust my expectations accordingly. That said...

Fire Emblem FatesĀ - The worst written video game I have ever played. It feels like a rushed first draft containing elements that shouldn't even have left the idea stage. By far my biggest video game disappointment of all time.

Ace Attorney 5: Dual DestiniesĀ - Major plot holes in a visual novel game that relies on its story. Silly plot, character regression, a new character added to a bloated cast and given all the attention and she's thoroughly unlikeable.Ā 

Dragon Age II & Dragon Age InquisitionĀ - Dragon Age II was as rushed as it feels. Awful, repetitive, button-mashing gameplay, generally boring cast and infuriating plot. Inuqisition is a single-player MMO in terms of gameplay and an equally dull story, albeit the cast is slightly improved.

Trails of Cold Steel IIĀ - Great gameplay, but a bloated cast and over the top anime moments drag down the entry since it's in a series renowned for its incredible worldbuilding and attention to detail. It's unforgiving in its repetitive nature and worthless villains, which go hand in hand; I believe the vast majority of (human) boss battles end the same way but with a different coat of paint: you beat them, but then they gain the upper hand in a cutscene and you need to be saved in a timely fashion by someone else. It's absolutely infuriating.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, I would have to say. Lords of Shadow 1 was, in my opinion, set up a solid timeline on its own, and had a decent story and a fantastic, if level-based world.

Mirror of Fate was a step up in the story department for me, with its protagonists having unique special abilities that made playing each fun and interesting.

Lords of Shadow 2, on the other hand...well...it was a mess. The whole gimmick of swapping between the city and the castle wasn't explained very well, and the worst offense is...you're playing asĀ Dracul(a). Why is it that you're made to feel just as feeble in the end of the game as you are when Gabriel wakes up? I get that he doesn't want to draw too much attention, but when you are still sneaking around and can't handle certain enemies because they remain TOO powerful, and INVINCIBLE, it just comes off as not fun.

7 hours ago, Thane said:

Dragon Age II & Dragon Age InquisitionĀ - Dragon Age II was as rushed as it feels. Awful, repetitive, button-mashing gameplay, generally boring cast and infuriating plot. Inuqisition is a single-player MMO in terms of gameplay and an equally dull story, albeit the cast is slightly improved.

This is another one I missed.

I appreciated 2's attempts to speed up the pace of combat, but my god they did it in the worst ways. The cooldowns were faster, but instead of keeping things faster and accelerating the combat encounters, they made everything tanky as fuck in the end-game and encounters felt longer than they did in Origins. This meant that you were pressing the same 3-4 buttons over and over and over and over again. Origins actually wasn't structured too much differently, but it was slower and enemies weren't nearly as tanky. It made each of you button presses feel more important.

As far as I'm concerned, the only possible way to enjoy Inquisition's combat is to play a Rogue class. Everything else just exemplifies why single player, hero-focused cooldown combat is the worst thing to happen to RPGs.

Edited by Slumber

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

As far as I'm concerned, the only possible way to enjoy Inquisition's combat is to play a Rogue class. Everything else just exemplifies why single player, hero-focused cooldown combat is the worst thing to happen to RPGs.

I think the plot is more offensive than the gameplay, and that's saying something. You accomplish numerousĀ monumental feats and solve problems that may have riddled the world for centuries in about an afternon after you've accepted the quest. This continuesĀ until the bad guy makes a suicide charge at your seat of power and then goes out like a whimp. Why was anyone ever afraid of him? The bloke was an idiot.

Edited by Thane