In your opinion, what video games disappointed you the most?

Roland

• Valkyria Chronicles 3
    During the drought after VC1, i really really wanted a sequel, when i came upon VC3
    Dear god, is the game repitive. You keep playing the same small maps over and over and over again.
    Atleast we got VC4 now
  • Trails of Cold Steel 2
    As a big Trails fan, Cold Steel 2 was a big slap to the face. From it's boring Main Character, to the bloated cast (seriously, half the cast should've been cut), to the harem hajinks, to the overglorified Class Trip that apparently was a war, to the epilogue that shouldn't have existed.
    It almost made me drop Trails completely, even though it was one of the few series were i bought the games Day 1.
  • Recettear
    I think this is one of the very few game i started and didn't finish. Couldn't get into the whole shopping loop thing
  • Fire Emblem 6/7
    When i saw how many people love those 2 games,  i wanted to give my hand at them, but coming from 3DSFE/Tellius/Jugdral to GBAFE lead to a big dissapointment. Not only are they a massive downgrade from FE5 (so much stuff, gone), these 2 game are also bad in every was possible. FE6 is a RNG shitfest with same turn reinforcements, and FE7 map design gives Revelation's map design a run for it's money
  • Neptunia Action U
    Playing through the NepNep games atm and enjoying em (finished all Mainline games. Currently playing spin-offs), when i wanted to take a small break from turn based games and play some Action games. While the characters control well, the monster, Boss & Level design are bleh. It's basically a musou game when it comes to gameplay/button mashing.
Edited by Shrimperor

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Neptunia Action U
Playing through the NepNep games atm and enjoying em (finished all Mainline games. Currently playing spin-offs), when i wanted to take a small break from turn based games and play some Action games. While the characters control well, the monster, Boss & Level design are bleh. It's basically a musou game when it comes to gameplay/button mashing.

This is something Neptunia has always struggled with for some reason. Levels and bosses are always reused for no real reason and it's the biggest negative the series has. I've only played a little bit of Neptunia Action U but i do think that it's level design is better than it's successor, MegaTagmension Blanc. Because MegaTag has maps that are big but you only ever have to focus in one spot. That said, it's more fluid and the enemies don't take five years to die like they do in Neptunia Action U.

In general, i think the spin-offs pre-Megadimension aren't that great. Action U is the best one out of the first three spin-offs but every spin-off that has come out after Megadimension is just better.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

This is something Neptunia has always struggled with for some reason. Levels and bosses are always reused for no real reason and it's the biggest negative the series has.

While true, i think in Action U it's just much more apparent, because there nothing else to the game except clothes getting torn apart (which is not my thing). None of the Nep charm is there, none of the jokes/references, and minimum Character interaction. Also, unlike Turn based games, Action games do need good level, monster and Boss design. Cyberdimension is alot better in that regard from the few hours i have played.

And tbh, i enjoy mainline Nep gameplay, and Megadimension (that i just finished a few days ago) improves alot on said rehashing and stuff.

Edited by Shrimperor

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

While true, i think in Action U it's just much more apparent, because there nothing else to the game except clothes getting torn apart (which is not my thing). None of the Nep charm is there, none of the jokes/references, and minimum Character interaction.

That's how i feel about the first three spin-offs. I mean, i haven't tried Producing Perfection because that's an idol-simulation game and fuck that, but Hyperdevotion Noire ended up having even less Nep charm than Action U and it's mostly thanks to the dumb self-insert, which feels incredibly out of place in the series. The only thing it really has going for it is that it's a fairly decent SRPG.

Thankfully, the devs realized their mistake and dropped the self-insert and all the spin-offs post-Megadimension have the Nep charm the series is known for (so Super Neptunia RPG better deliver on that front or imma be mad)

Cyberdimension is alot better in that regard from the few hours i have played.

Cyberdimension is definitely a lot better, though it helps that it's more of a proper action as opposed to being a Musou.

And tbh, i enjoy mainline Nep gameplay, and Megadimension (that i just finished a few days ago) improves alot on said rehashing and stuff.

Megadimension definitely improved on that front. It couldn't fully escape reusing dungeons but I felt the dungeons were the best in the series (though Megadimension has the best everything in the series, at least mainline) . 

On a different note, out of all the spin-offs, Superdimension Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls's gameplay that is most similar to mainline Nep (iirc, it's basically Rebirth 3 gameplay but with a few tweaks) so if you ever get to that, you'll probably enjoy it since you enjoy mainline Nep gameplay.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

but Hyperdevotion Noire ended up having even less Nep charm than Action U and it's mostly thanks to the dumb self-insert, which feels incredibly out of place in the series. The only thing it really has going for it is that it's a fairly decent SRPG.

Jokes on You, Hyperdevotion was my Entry to Nep XD

I was searching for a SRPG to play on steam during x-mas vacation, found hyperdevotion for cheap (it was like 3€ iirc), played it (although didn't finish it yet) and liked all the Meta jokes and parodies and stuff, and then got all the mainline games which i have been playing the last few months XD

But yeah, self-insert was dumb, and was the worst thing in the game. I still like it way more then Action U tho.

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

so Super Neptunia RPG better deliver on that front or imma be mad

While i am not that excited for Super Neptunia, one thing that makes me curious is that in some pictures i see good!Arfoire? That means Super dimension/Re;Birth 1 setting? if so, i can get a bit excited about it because Re;Birth 1 was actually my favourite among the Re;birth games.

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

(though Megadimension has the best everything in the series, at least mainline)

yup. It won me alot of favors with IF & Compa and makes me excited for the upcoming Death end Re;Quest, which i hear is their best game yet, or atleast one of the best.

Oh right, here's one I was thinking of writing about but forgot while I was actually writing the list: Bravely Default.

-I only enjoyed two things about this game. The music, and the art style. Everything else can burn.

-The characters were exceedingly idiotic, annoying, one-dimensional (except Ringabel? Sort of?) and their inability to communicate the simplest things causes everyone to die. Seriously, so many deaths could have been avoided, people die for the dumbest reasons in this game.

-The game repeats itself, what, four or five more times before you get to the final ending? That is frankly insane and lazy padding, especially for something as slow-moving as an RPG. The only upside to it was that people for some reason stopped being dumb enough to kill/be killed, somehow.

-The voice acting felt like having a hot iron drilled into my skull, very slowly. I'm sure some of them were respected and talented voice actors, but the voice acting direction did them a huge disfavor.

-The combat, I didn't like. I mean, the job system was tedious and a pain to grind. Aside from the Brave/Default mechanic, which I liked, the combat was very cookie cutter. Another complaint of mine is that stupid 9999 damage hard cap. Pretty sure it doesn't apply to bosses though! Blasted cheaters...

-The world also felt very static. I didn't find there was much to do aside from the main quest and moving from one area to the next. Towns, as pretty as they were, felt quite lifeless and small, with a lack of interesting things to do.

Why did I finish the game, even when I didn't like it? I dunno, maybe because I had already invested the time or I was hoping it would get better? I did the same thing with the Wheel of Time series, 13 sizeable books or something crazy like that, and I read them all. I still regret it.

And I do apologize if I offended anyone with this rant, but there are not a lot of games that I find as equally bad as they were disappointing. It's all opinions though, I like plenty of games that many on these forums would consider bad or mediocre.