• Julius: Scion of Darkness
    • Duma: God of Strength
    • Idunn: Dark Priestess
    • Hardin: Dark Emperor
    • Garon: King of Nohr
    • Robin: Fell Reincarnation
    • Surtr: Ruler of Flame

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/2019 at 03:58 PM

8 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I hope the new system doesn't mean a return of the most popular character always winning.

With my initial guesses based on the numbers and how players behave, the new system should mean

• Any match where a side has more than a 2:1 size advantage should result in the larger team winning.
  • Any match where a side has less than a 2:1 size advantage should result in the team with the last hour multiplier having a much higher chance of winning.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I hope the new system doesn't mean a return of the most popular character always winning.

I personally prefer popular contest over random multiplier results. I am often discouraged from supporting my favorite character due to the way multiplier works.

23 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Has there been much back and forth on any of the matches? On team Julius, we've been ahead for pretty much the entire time.

Eh, I personally prefer it when a group with a ton more players wins. It was funny for a while to see winners like Shanna but seeing characters win time and time again because of multipliers wasn't something I was a big fan off.

Now a multiplier upset can still happen but  the chances are a lot lower if the team is bigger.

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

Your Marth's actually been whats carrying most of my battles, so you've nothing to worry about haha

Ah, I'm glad. He's my pride and joy, I can't wait to +10 him!

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

Oh no, the horror of the most popular character winning in a mode that was intended to be a popularity contest!

I think it's pretty obvious IS doesn't intend for VG to be purely a popularity contest. Otherwise they never would've introduced multipliers in the first place. Plus they already have a reasonable gague of popularity in the form of CYL.

I prefer the winner to be unpredictable, but I don't know the best system to achieve that outcome. I expect IS will tinker with the multiplier rates like they did with the old system so that underdog teams have a reasonable shot at winning.

Edited by Robert of Normandy

38 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

I think it's pretty obvious IS doesn't intend for VG to be purely a popularity contest.

This would beg to differ:

A5uO1rF.png?1

38 minutes ago, Robert of Normandy said:

Otherwise they never would've introduced multipliers in the first place.

Those only happened because of incessant complaining from all the butthurt losers who were legitimately surprised that Ephraim and Minerva got blasted by Lucina and Camilla respectively.

As for my preferences, I kinda enjoy not having to watch my team get screwed over because of RNG and for no other reason. This bullshit has been going on for long enough, and plenty of underdogs have had their undeserved fun. A step towards returning to order has been long overdue.

Edited by Tybrosion

15 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I guess I missed that, I don't really read the in-game notifications closely. Plus I'm not sure how much weight to put behind IS's stated objective when losing multipliers literally go directly against that, and if they were opposed to that they should have dropped the mechanic as soon as it was clear an upset was possible. Then again, it's pretty clear IS doesn't always have a clear understanding of the implications of the mechanics they implement, so who knows.

Maybe if they really wanted it to be a popularity contest, they should do a better job of picking characters who are relatively equal in terms of popularity, which they should already have a grasp of due to CYL.

And hey, even if the altered mechanics means there's no chance of underdog wins(in an extreme case), at least the cumulative ranking reward means that mercenary players have a reason to join a team other than the one they think is going to win.

1 hour ago, Tybrosion said:

But does not outright state it's a popularity contest first and foremost (as opposed to a game mode, which is actually is), nor does it say that the scores are intended to reflect a character's popularity.

EDIT: The Japanese notification says literally nothing about popularity. So you can once again chalk this up to the localization team making shit up to sound cool.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Is there any sort of score predictor, or at least a tracker of the hour-by-hour gains.  I'd like to have at least a guess of when the multiplier hours are going to be.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Is there any sort of score predictor, or at least a tracker of the hour-by-hour gains.  I'd like to have at least a guess of when the multiplier hours are going to be.

Well... @DarkAlf did a predictor. Here's the link: DarkAlf's VG Predictor

21 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Well... @DarkAlf did a predictor. Here's the link: DarkAlf's VG Predictor

But the next hours don't show. Only the current and previous hours. 

On 01/04/2019 at 5:19 PM, XRay said:

FH!M!Robin is still called Robin. His official name is still Robin, not Grima.

I do not think she meant it to be rude. I hate Surtr too, but Surtr is way more impactful and memorable than Hríd ever was. In terms of being a character, Surtr is far better since he drew out hatred and strong negative emotions out of me, whereas Hríd is just sort of there and that is pretty much it.

I'm a guy.  

Edited by Icelerate

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

It's more of a tracker than predictor, but still better than just the current total with no context.  I imagine they might need a gauntlet or two to see how the new system works before being able to predict with any degree of accuracy.

6 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Are you unable to see the separate tabs?  The one you're on is the "raw data" tab; the matches are on their own tabs to the right.

EDIT: Try this link.  It's switched to HTML view, so hopefully that's a little easier to see.

Edited by DarkAlf

Just now, Icelerate said:

I'm a guy.  

Woops, my bad. I will edit. Sometimes I look at the portrait and not the gender.

7 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

2 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

Are you unable to see the separate tabs?  The one you're on is the "raw data" tab; the matches are on their own tabs to the right.

I was going to mention what DarkAlf did. There are others tabs with more information about each battle.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

2 minutes ago, DarkAlf said:

Now I see them. Before I didn't notice them. 

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

Woops, my bad. I will edit. Sometimes I look at the portrait and not the gender.

That's fine lol. 

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Those only happened because of incessant complaining from all the butthurt losers who were legitimately surprised that Ephraim and Minerva got blasted by Lucina and Camilla respectively.

That is not really true at all. The complaints I saw were saying the winners are too obvious and that makes things boring. Not that they were butthurt that their favorite lost. My complaint was the severe obviousness as well. Everyone knew who would win those first two gauntlets before they even started. How is that any fun? And if you only put popular characters against popular characters and only less popular characters against less popular characters, you're heavily limiting your options for matchups. Only the top 8 can stand any chance of not curbstomping someone else. The bottom 8 will only be viable against one another, and so on.

Like others have said, I prefer unpredictability and such. Otherwise, we're just about always going to know the outcome and we can't do anything about it no matter what, so there's no fun to be had.

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Like others have said, I prefer unpredictability and such. Otherwise, we're just about always going to know the outcome and we can't do anything about it no matter what, so there's no fun to be had.

That's nice, but I most certainly do not. I've always hated the multiplier system and always will. All it has done as far as I'm concerned is create an illusion of fairness and regularly punish popular teams for daring to be popular. Unless you enjoy watching others get dicked over for no reason, that is most certainly not what I'd call fun.

12 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That's nice, but I most certainly do not. I've always hated the multiplier system and always will. All it has done as far as I'm concerned is create an illusion of fairness and regularly punish popular teams for daring to be popular. Unless you enjoy watching others get dicked over for no reason, that is most certainly not what I'd call fun.

I'm not saying the multipliers are perfect. I never thought they were, because you're right, the popular team is often punished. But this new system seems to be working better so far. Even the larger team is sometimes getting a multiplier, so nobody should be getting unfairly screwed. At least not nearly as often.

42 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

It's no different than watching sports. Even the best team in the league doesn't win all of their games.

welp I just dumped 800 flags and 8 battle ballots in a last ditch effort to support my lord Grima with this 7.5 multiplier. I can only hope my efforts won't be in vain

Looks like Daddy Garon's going to lose, barring a huge boost this last hour.  I'll probably go to Hardin next, since he's the one I have at 5* that should expect to get underdog feathers.

I am ending the first round with a score of 1.503.703 point. I believe this is the highest score I ever got in a VG. 

I am in Duma's Team, so I don't know who to support in the 2nd Round... Maybe the winner between Robin and Surtr.