Famous franchises/games you've never played?

Rapier

Self-explanatory.

• Metal Gear Solid - I mean, unless you count Metal Gear Rising, I haven't played any of its games. I've been looking forward to playing the entire series, though, from what I've heard about the stealth gameplay, story and characters.
  • Resident Evil - I wasn't too interested in horror games (and still am not that much), but hearing more and more about it made me interested.
  • Silent Hill - Same as above, but it interests me more for being a psychological horror-like game.
  • Animal Crossing - It looks like a weird Harvest Moon-like game...?

• Persona- I just don't care for the simulation elements of the later games. Although maybe since I can emulate now, I could try the older Personas. How playable is 2?
  • Kingdom Hearts- Sorry, even if the gameplay is fun, I'm not a Disney person.
  • Anything from the West- No offense at all, I just haven't tried Western gaming.
  • Anything heavy on lighting fast action. Sorry, I'm lacking for reflexes.
  • Anything multiplayer-centric. Sorry, I don't have IRL friends to play with, nor does online interest me.
  • Anything horror- I scare real easily.
  • I've not played MGS as well. Sorry, but stealth puts me on nerves.

Again- no malice meant at all from any of this.

• Kingdom Hearts - I hear the story is the most stupid and convoluted thing ever, also I have this strange negative bias towards anything Disney related
  • GTA - Not interested I guess? Idk.
  • Fortnite - played only 1 game and I had no idea what I was doing
  • World of Warcraft - Don't care for MMOs
  • Assassin's Creed - Never looked appealing to me
  • Doom - Don't care for shooters
  • Red Dead - Never looked appealing to me
  • DOTA - Dislike most MOBAs
  • Silent Hill - I'm a wuss and I hate anything horror 

34 minutes ago, Rapier said:

Self-explanatory.

• Metal Gear Solid - I mean, unless you count Metal Gear Rising, I haven't played any of its games. I've been looking forward to playing the entire series, though, from what I've heard about the stealth gameplay, story and characters.
  • Resident Evil - I wasn't too interested in horror games (and still am not that much), but hearing more and more about it made me interested.
  • Silent Hill - Same as above, but it interests me more for being a psychological horror-like game.
  • Animal Crossing - It looks like a weird Harvest Moon-like game...?

All of these.

Also, to name a few off the top of my head:

Cuphead

PubG 

Fortnite

Apex Legends

Call of Duty

Battlefield

Fallout

Half Life

Portal

Ratchet and Clank

I needed 25 years to get into Zelda, but I still have not really played any Pokémon game except for X and Y for a little bit which did not catch my interest. I also do not play any Mario related games nowadays (Smash Bros aside).  

Idk how popular they are, but never played 

• Metal Gear Solid (which is weird because I love Solid Snake in Smash
  • Kingdom Hearts
  • Metroid
  • Any of the popular ego shooter series like Half Life

Would play MGS sometime though

Metal Gear Solid (Although I have a copy of MGS1 for PS1 lying around)
Many First-Person Shooter series like Halo and Call of Duty
Grand Theft Auto
Games like Overwatch and Fortnite
Red Dead
Many Sony IPs
Most of Kingdom Hearts (Never finished the first game, and don't really care for this series)
League of Legends
Warcraft
Horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill
Final Fantasy
Spyro
Tales of series (Although I have Berseria on Steam)

These come to my mind.

Edited by Ercdouken

• Anything Bethesda 
  • Assasins Creed
  • Dragon Quest
  • Persona
  • GTA
  • Horror games aside from Resident Evil because I can actually handle that, not to mention that 5 and 6 kinda dropped the horror approach in favor of just action.
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Call of Duty
  • Portal
  • Fortnite
  • Banjo Kazooie
  • Symphony of the Night
  • Spyro
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Final Fantasy 7

Dota -

League of Legends - I have spent lots of time in some F2P games, but these I never got into because they never really caught my attention. 

Counter Strike - Nothing against it, but Insurgency and  nowadays Insugency Sandstorm fill up 100% of the time I would invest in them

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell sub-series (I've played some of the main series games?)

Europalis Universalis

Crusader Kings

Total War

Football Manager

Neverwinter Nights

Icewind Dale / Planescape Torment

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

The Elder Scroll

Witcher

Other than the PC I haven't let console or genre boundaries really stop me from getting first person experience of the most talked about games of every generation.

I feel the strategy games the most because my friend's list seems made up 90% of these people. But it's so hard to keep on top of the strategy series I do play already ><

The PC centric RPGs are intentionally avoided because I think they don't appeal to me from the few that  I did play. I personally think that the best period of CRPGs is way earlier than most people  Betrayal at Kondor/Ultima Underworld/Wizardry 6 >>> Fallout, Baldur's Gate. Charather progression development/combat > story every day. 

Tom Clancy - Swat 4 exists

Hmm theres a couple.

- Xenoblade Chronicles (missed it)

- Portal (wasnt interested)

- Half life (i dont game on pc)

- Bioshock (seems like a cool series just never got to it)

- Kingdom hearts (the old games are so clunky i couldnt get myself through them)

- Anything by ubisoft other then rainbow six

theres probably a lot more but this was off the top of my head.

Portal: Interested in the second one, just never got around to it. Not really interested in the first one.

Persona: Popular series with personas that remind me of Stands so yes I wanna play it someday. Might be able to emulate Persona 3 for PSP sooo

Fortnite, Apex, PUBG: Might actually play one of them, just never got around to it, especially considering how long it would take to download one for me. Most interested in Apex.

Half Life: I remember playing the first one for a little while at a friend's house. I heard how good the second game is so I would like to try it out if I could.

Call of Duty: Meh, not my thing.

Silent Hill: I remember my sister playing it years ago but I was too much of a wuss to see her playing it, or play it myself. 

Dead by Daylight, Skyrim: Never got around to buying them. Maybe I will this summer, probably.

WHOOOO BOY, there's a lot. Let me just list the ones that come off the top of my head.

Final Fantasy: To be honest, Final Fantasy never interested me. I don't know what it is but ever since i've been getting into more and more JRPGs lately, there's nothing about Final Fantasy that really appeals to me. 

Kingdom Hearts: The Disney side is cool but that's all the series has going for it. The terrible writing has completely turned me away from the series and the only way i'll every play a Kingdom Hearts game is if they put Marvel and /or Star Wars in it.

Dragon Quest: The final member of the Square Enix big trio but unlike the previous two, i'm actually lowkey interested in the series. It's low priority but i'm willing to give it a shot.

Persona: I've been wanting to play these games for a while, especially because it's essentially one big JoJo reference, but i just haven't been able to. 

Shin Megami Tensei: Unlike Persona, i'm not interested in this series. I'm fine with dark story telling but SMT feels too dark for me.

Most Triple A Western games: Self explanatory

Horror Games: Nah, i like being able to sleep.

Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons: This one's weird because i've played Rune Factory which is basically the same but with RPG elements. I'd probably enjoy Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons though.

Castlevania: Never played but with that Castlevania collection coming to the Switch, it'd be a good time to jump in.

Mega Man games outside of the Classic and Zero series: Self explanatory.

Most fighting games: I'm only good enough to play Smash, i'd suck at the rest.

Earthbound/Mother: I've always been meaning to play these games but really, i just wanna see if Mother 3 is a good as everyone says it is.

Shantae: Another series i've been wanting to get into but i just haven't made the time for. Shante 5 is coming soon so i should probably start soon.

There's more but we'd be here all day.

2 hours ago, Rapier said:

Animal Crossing - It looks like a weird Harvest Moon-like game...?

It's inferior to Harvest Moon-like games in every way. Like, if you've played Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, Rune Factory, Stardew Valley or any games of similar nature and enjoyed them, there's virtually no reason to play Animal Crossing. This is a super spicy take that's most will disagree with me on though. This is just how i feel.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shin Megami Tensei: Unlike Persona, i'm not interested in this series. I'm fine with dark story telling but SMT feels too dark for me.

I wouldn't exactly call SMT famous. It's probably the most niche series of JPRGs I've ever played. Hell, I'm even amazed that I've found some people here that actually know what it is.

• Fortnite: Far from my demographic
  • Assassins Creed: Looks like Uncharted but less exciting.
  • Battlefield: Dying repeatedly by a sniper on the other side of the map will only enrage me. 
  • Most Fighting games: Quarter inputs aren't my thing
  • Warcraft: I want to try it some day.

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

I wouldn't exactly call SMT famous. It's probably the most niche series of JPRGs I've ever played.

For good reason. It's not exactly very good, and I'm surprised that someone actually likes it. 

2 minutes ago, Decerd said:

For good reason. It's not exactly very good, and I'm surprised that someone actually likes it. 

I like the games. I'd ask why you think that, but I don't want to derail this topic. 

8 minutes ago, Roland said:

I wouldn't exactly call SMT famous. It's probably the most niche series of JPRGs I've ever played. Hell, I'm even amazed that I've found some people here that actually know what it is.

I mean, yeah it is niche but it's associated with Persona and Persona made it into the mainstream so while it's not as famous as say, Final Fantasy, it's still pretty well known. There's JRPGs out there that are way more niche, such as Ys, Trails, Atelier, Neptunia, etc. 

And yes, i know a decent number of people on this site have played Ys and Trails (i even made a general thread for the latter) but in the grand scheme of things, these are some examples of JRPGs that are more niche than SMT.

Megami Tensei

Persona

Metal Gear Solid

basically every shooter game (i just don't like them)

Mass Effect

Dragon Age

Dragon Quest

GTA

Animal Crossing

Yoshi

Metroid

StarFox

battle royale games in general

The Elder Scrolls

and many, many more

Edited by Yexin

• To this day my friends have still failed to rope me into any of the popular battle royale games. Fortnite, PubG, Apex, sorry dudes, not interested.
  • I also never touched Overwatch, but I'm less proud of that, since I like those character designs and I was mad good at Call of Duty when I was a teenager so I'd probably like it.
  • Probably a million mobile and MMO games that are technically more popular than any games we play

My gaming repertoire is pretty solid, especially on consoles. The only other adds would be franchises I debate the popularity of like Counter Strike and some other computer games.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Roland said:
  • Halo. Although, I tend to fix that sometime this week.
  • Portal
  • Final Fantasy

Good man.

As for myself I have played no battle royale and don't have any plans too. I never had any interest in Kingdom Hearts either.

3 hours ago, Rapier said:

Recommend starting with Metal Gear Solid 1.  Can do either the Gamecube version (called Twin Snakes) or the original PS1 version (look up footage to see which one you'd prefer; both have their merits).  Afterwards, I'd recommend going in order with the numbered entries until you beat 4.  Then you can choose to play either Peace Walker or jump right into MGS V.  You can get all of them (except both versions of MGS V) via the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, available for the Playstation 3.

Anyway, there are a crap ton of franchises I've yet to try that seemingly everyone's played.  The ones I can think of at the moment are:

• Literally every single Battle Royale game: As I get older, I find that I like online games less and less, and I like competitive online games even less.  My friends - either close to home or that I've made online - are becoming less and less available, and so I find that whenever I play online games I'm always playing alone anyway.  Plus, I just get really annoyed about fads, especially ones as mindless as these competitive shooters.  Society is way too vapid.  My friends tried to get me into Fortnite, but I just don't have any interest whatsoever.
  • Shin Megami Tensei games/Persona: From my understanding, the latter is made by the namesake of the former?  Anyway, I barely know anything about these games aside from I guess they're some kind of JRPGs.  Yet everyone here seems to know who Joker is - a character who I've come to understand is from Persona 5 apparently.  I just know nothing about these games, and no one's prod me to play them.
  • The Witcher: Again, I don't know much about this.  I know it's based on some novels, but...  I don't know, never was really shown why I should get into it, nor has anyone recommended it for me.
  • Devil May Cry: I've heard that supposedly this franchise was made as a result of Resident Evil 1.5.  I'm not sure about the validity of that, but I do know that this series is pretty much the heart and soul of hack n' slash.  I've played hack n' slash games in the form of Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors, but beyond that I've scarcely played any hack n' slash games.
  • Dragon Age: Okay, I've actually played Origins a bit, but aside from that I haven't played much.  Origins is cool because you could have a wide variety of different ties to characters and factions depending on the origin you chose.  Aside from that, I'm not sure what makes this series special.
  • Mass Effect Andromeda: I loved the shit out of this series.  When I first tried it, I was enthralled, and then I got the entire trilogy for Christmas one year and played nothing but Mass Effect for months.  These games are long, rich in lore, and have memorable characters.  Yet I've heard very suspect things about Andromeda.  I got it for, like, $5 because I had money left over in my Origin account, but still haven't touched it.  This game has a bad reputation, bad enough that I struggle to want to try it even after dumping $5 on it.
  • Street Fighter/Dead or Alive/King of Fighters: I've played Tekken, Soul Caliber, and even Mortal Kombat to an extent, so I know fighting games.  But those three franchises that are fairly well-known among the FGC are franchises I've never touched.  I know Street Fighter is classic, but I've not been a fan of how inputs are done in them.  I know little about DoA except that there was a volleyball game based on it and that was obviously meant to titillate teenage boys.  And I know even less about KoF.  I'm actually genuinely curious what other fighting game fans here would have to say about all these games, and if they'd recommend them.
  • Watch Dogs: Okay, I know this is gonna sound really petty, but why couldn't the protagonist have just been a custom character?  This was made in an era with a lot of dull, generic white male action heroes.  No emotion, no character... they're just supposed to be badasses, but they just suck.  And as far as I know, the protagonist of this game was no different.  Actually, this is around the time I started getting more interested in games that featured protagonists of different demographics, particularly female protagonists.  I feel like this wasn't an accident.  Ubisoft loves to cling to their lame, generic protagonists.  I'd even say goddamn Corrin was a better protagonist than any of the garbage Ubisoft has put out.  And that speaks volumes about how lame they are.
  • Far Cry: Speaking of Ubisoft and uninteresting protagonists...  I've liked the sound of these games from a gameplay-standpoint, but again... why does the protagonist have to be this preset character?  From Far Cry to Watch Dogs to that one parkour zombie game that I forget the name of... all of them could've had custom characters for the protagonist because the protagonists for all of these games just suck so much.  What particularly pissed me off was when Ubisoft said that the reason they made no female protagonists (which isn't entirely true, they make female protagonists for DLC) was because it'd be too much work.  Well, Ubisoft, I just have one thing to say about you and your games: ? up yours, even Other M Samus Aran is better than your stale ass fuckbois
  • Assassins Creed (after 3): Well well well, another Ubisoft franchise.  How do you always manage to end up on my shit list, Ubisoft?  The only good games they put out were the South Park games and first two Assassins Creed games.  After playing 3, I realized they stuck their heads up their own asses with their pretentious narrative.  When I heard that they were sacrificing gameplay quality for "cinematic purposes" in... I think AC5, it came as no surprise because I knew after playing AC3 that they thought too highly of their own writing.  If these jesters want real writing, they ought to speak to Chris Avellone to get a lesson on the matter.  Same goes for you, Todd Howard.
  • Fallout 76: And speaking of the creators of Fallout...  I've been a fan of the Fallout series for a while - played Fallout 3 back in, like, 2008 I think, and then went on to play New Vegas, 1, and 2.  And I liked Fallout 4 well enough.  But then this game came out.  I already had little interest in an online Bethesda game, but I later heard a number of damning things about this particular one; game breaking bugs, crashes, lack of things to do, lack of characters to interact with...  I'm thinking that if West Virginia was the place the country roads would take me to, I'd take the nearest exit and roll my ass on down to Nevada instead.  I'm actually more looking forward to a mod team's project to bring Fallout: New Vegas to the Fallout 4 platform than I am to anything this awful game does.
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Similarly to Fallout 76, I've just never been interested in online Bethesda games.  Only part of it that sounds good is PvP, and I honestly don't care much for that aspect of gaming.
  • Any card games: I'm talking stuff like Hearthstone.  I'm even less interested in card games than I am in online games.  It was never my scene.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Shin Megami Tensei games/Persona: From my understanding, the latter is made by the namesake of the former?  Anyway, I barely know anything about these games aside from I guess they're some kind of JRPGs.  Yet everyone here seems to know who Joker is - a character who I've come to understand is from Persona 5 apparently.  I just know nothing about these games, and no one's prod me to play them.

Correct, Atlus. Now owned by Sega.

Megami Tensei ("Reincarnation of the Goddess") begins with Devil Devil Story: Megami Tensei, three cyberpunk light novels, which became the basis of an NES-era dungeon-crawling JRPG. This was followed by a sequel unrelated to the novels. And then on the Super Famicom, you get Shin Megami Tensei ("Shin" I think means "New" here, in the same tone as "You just won a new car!"), inspired by those two earlier games, thus begins the franchise with its present name.

After the Super Famicon title SMTII, they release Shin Megami Tensei: If... about two warring families a high school that ends up in the demon world. The idea of a high school setting and demons leads to Megami Ibunroku ("alternate tale" or "side story" I think it means): Persona, on the PS1. Starting with the great success of Persona 3, Persona becomes popular enough that it emerges as its own franchise apart from Megami Tensei.

Megami Tensei tends to be darker, apocalyptic to be precise, with summoning demons and fusing them a main mechanic. So too is the ability to choose an ending among several, although none are supposed to be perfect.

Persona tends to be lighter in tone and more "anime", but some serious social commentary thrown in. While SMT is all about turn-based combat and dungeons, Persona keeps these, but adds a strong social simulation element to things. And while many SMT demons feature, they have all been rebranded in lore Personae, not actual mythological beings, only aspects of the human psyche manifested like mythological beings.

As for Joker- the main character of the latest Persona game- Persona 5. A silent protag (most Persona and SMT protags are for better or worse) with style and flavor apparently.

I don't know if you care or not. I'm just offering an explanation.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Far Cry: Speaking of Ubisoft and uninteresting protagonists...  I've liked the sound of these games from a gameplay-standpoint, but again... why does the protagonist have to be this preset character?  From Far Cry to Watch Dogs to that one parkour zombie game that I forget the name of... all of them could've had custom characters for the protagonist because the protagonists for all of these games just suck so much.

How exactly would Far Cry 3 work without having a preset protagonist? It's all about Jason, his growth and increasing madness for being in that island, as well as his relationship with his friends as he tries to save them from Vaas. I can understand the critique on the others (FC 4 and Primal), although it doesn't bother me that we can't make a custom character. I think it's just simpler than giving you all the assets for making your own character or writing a separate script for a genderbent protagonist.