[FE8] [100% Completed] The Sacred Trilogy Reskin and Rebalance

bløød

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Spirit Dust. A few enemies should drop it as you're progressing.

I'm also having some issues with summons - I just summoned a level 1 phantom with a Silver Axe that it couldn't use.

EDIT: I took a look in FEBuilder, and the Phantom class's base axe Rank should be C... but the ones I summon have D Rank. I wonder why that is?

Edited by l33tmaan

are there any plans to add light/anima to war cleric ?  it's just kind of waste to have 29 max cap in magic but can only use it for healing imo, but if you will keep it that way i'm fine too , cause these hack is already so awesome. 

On 6/30/2020 at 2:52 PM, Beyondgood said:

First of all, thanks a lot for this hack, that's a huge thing, good job! 

You're welcome.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, l33tmaan said:

I've also played around with the Dragoon class to bump its movement up to 7 and give it its own movement style that's in between a Berserker and a flying unit, but I don't really know what I'm doing

Me neither lol. As I stated previously, I never intended to make these classes playable. I only did so after a lot of people requested them. The dragoon was supposed to be a promoted soldier that specializes in MAG and RES. I made it so to be a counterpart to the more physically oriented halberdiers. This class doesn't really work well for the player units because the ones that can promote into it have low MAG and RES growths. That's why I said that these special classes might require a heavy investment of stat boosters.

On 7/1/2020 at 12:36 AM, l33tmaan said:

I also find it funny you call this a "mere" reskin/rebalance. You've renewed my love for Sacred Stones and I'm sure you've learned a lot about FEBuilder that you can use on future projects. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Even though I learned a lot with FEBuilder, I may actually use rainlash's Lex Talionis engine. As much as I love FEBuilder's practicality, I think I could make better hacks if I'm no longer limited to the GBA hardware.

On 7/1/2020 at 4:08 AM, LettuceAway said:

is there any hints how to edit summon item with FEBuilder? Im baffled that I cant use summon unit unless it hits level 20

I'm not sure what you meant. Unless I'm wrong, summoners can summon phantoms from level 1.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:49 PM, l33tmaan said:

I'm also having some issues with summons - I just summoned a level 1 phantom with a Silver Axe that it couldn't use.

EDIT: I took a look in FEBuilder, and the Phantom class's base axe Rank should be C... but the ones I summon have D Rank. I wonder why that is?

I think the phantom's weapon rank depends on the weapon it randomly gets when it is summoned. I overwrote the steel axe with the silver axe, so the game probably still thinks that the phantom is getting a rank D weapon instead of a C rank. I think there's a patch in FEBuilder that corrects this behavior.

5 hours ago, bcahqzruh said:

are there any plans to add light/anima to war cleric ?  it's just kind of waste to have 29 max cap in magic but can only use it for healing imo, but if you will keep it that way i'm fine too , cause these hack is already so awesome. 

This would require an entirely new animation, and on top of that, I don't have any animation slots available (there's a limit of 255). So no, it won't be possible.

just like other said, summoned phantom unit cannot attack because it always gets silver axe and D axe mastery upon arrival. But it works fine on lvl 20 summoner, the phantom can attack because its mastery of axe not D but C

And I found a minor glitch, trickster's critical animation with bow is messed up, resulting in foe's health become distorted after attack animation is over. but thats it, only messing up the visual, it doesnt affect the actual numbers

oh yea: Bargain skill and silver card does not stack. I think Trickster needs a new skill to replace bargain, it is basically a redundant skill

Another bug, its not a problem but Assassins will retain Cunning skill from thief class even though they dont have one. My Marisa is Assassin and she can use lockpick without a hitch. I bet Assassin class is already hardcoded as a Thief based class

Edited by LettuceAway

On 7/3/2020 at 1:49 AM, l33tmaan said:

Yeah, Spirit Dust. A few enemies should drop it as you're progressing.

Yeah that sucks. I wanted to get a summoner but when i did, i was disappointed. It was already reported anyways and maybe will be fixed next update. Btw dragoon class looks awesome and has really high crit rate but yeah a bit slow, im actually not sure what to get for amelia, dragoon or halberdier... 🤔 

the idea to make eirika promotes to mage lord and ephraim to master lord is awesome although eirika is better with sword, light, and staff rather than lance imo, kinda like mage knight without horse lmao. While making Ephraim seems like mini general is really good, there is only thing that make me a disappointed, it's ephraim max stats cap, i'm okay to make him only have 24 speed , but his other stats are making me cry, cause compared to the other unit, ephraim promoted max stats cap isn't that good , can you make him like general or faster with lower defence? 

Thanks for this wonderful hack , and really appreciated if you would like to consider my opinion

The Dragoon and Halberdier classes are really identical, which is why I brought up changing the Dragoon's movement earlier. They both have crit boosts, are lance-locked, and the same movement, as well as very similar class caps. The biggest difference is in their skills, and while Petrify is pretty good, I think Short Shield is better, and Impale comes online for Halberdiers a whole 5 levels before Dragoons get Lancebreaker. Due to the lack of magic spears (I'm back at Chapter 19 and I haven't gotten my hands on a single one), I'd say that Halberdier is the better choice for Ameila, and Cormag would have to be crazy to pass up Canto+ in favor of going Dragoon. 

I honestly don't think there would be many complaints if bløød improved the hybrid growths for characters with access to those classes... but that's just me. Honestly, I think it would be cool if every promoted class had its own class skill, since Canto+ is totally busted in comparison but I wouldn't want to get rid of it.

Bløød, thank you for making this. I was very pleased to see that there was a modification of FE8 that tried to stick to the core of the game and deliver an improved vanilla experience. 

The only things that really bugged me through my playthrough were documentation based. Thankfully you can save and reload states to inspect how a character changes after promotion but I still ran into the issue of some skills being hard to find online and having to wait until they hit a certain level to inspect the skill in game (which I didn't even know you could do at first).

I do remember getting upset at choosing Ephraim route and then remembering that I used Erika to kill the boss in that last chapter and having the dracoshield be unavailable until they met back up again in later chapters. That just be how it is though.

Overall though I was very pleased with your patch. Thanks. Some rambling below of things I just found interesting or never knew until I came back to play this game as an adult.

-------------------------------------------

Def growth is a rarity. Gilliam is the only standard character with 50+ def growth. Duessel has 45 and of the classes that can become General / GK the next closest is Amelia at 30. 30 by the way, ties with people like Erika and Saleh. Dracoshields are king. I honestly regret turning Franz into a GK because he's paper without dumping shields into him; and I dump my shields into my high HP fighter types instead to give them staying power. Amelia rocked as a Paladin though but I run lots of flying units and other mounted options. Canto+ is a drug.

Gladiator rocks but I wish it was sword only. Sword / Lance is a very common combo (Paladins, Falcoknights, Wyvern Lords). Sword / Axe is already Hero. Don't get me wrong, I still love the class but I noticed that I ran a LOT of Sword / Lance units already.. Pure sword high HP fighter type wouldn't step on swordmaster toes because its non-crit and has staying power.

I love Colm and Neimi as Trickster and Ranger because they can bring Bows to the field to deal with fliers and they have remarkable synergy. Ranger gets Drive Speed which increases speed within 2 squares. Colm rally increases Speed by 4. Almost anyone can double now.

I turned Cormag into a dragoon and dumped Talismans into him and was still disappointed. Poor Dragoon. Crits like a monster but why bother when Pegasus knights get Grim Blow? They crit all the time and I love it. I normally went Wyvern Lord with him and wanted to try the new class but will probably turn him back into a Lord. Pierce is great but I love weapon control.

Ewan has +2 move as a default skill. Dark Knight / Mage Knight have charge. I went Dark Knight because there are other Mage Knight candidates. No regrets he hits like a truck.

HP Growth is an important stat, but if you know how to access the secret shop you'll learn that the HP booster is crazy. +7 HP is enough to give anyone better staying power. Rule of thumb; if they already have good HP growth you give them shields (because they already have the HP to survive). Shields on low HP classes is a waste because it often won't save them enough damage to survive an extra hit.

I'd use L’Arachel more if it weren't for Mercy. I highly value my healers not being dead weight. That is all.

Ross is a monster no matter what you do. I always turn him into a Berserker personally, and Garcia into a Warrior. Garcia as a warrior is hilarious if you equip them with a longbow and keep their health at ~30%. Fiery Blood and Frenzy means that with high STR the bow hits for ludicrous damage against even Generals and can straight delete some classes with little effort.

Moulder with dracoshields and War Monk is viable as a frontliner alongside Gilliam. Gilliam draws aggro anyways and when you heal him you heal yourself as well. Action economy. Speaking of which; Gilliam General with Hoplon Guard and Talismans makes him a wall that is nigh unstoppable. Can't be crit, has high HP, DEF, and RES. Also has a skill that draws aggro. What more do you want?

--------------------------------------

I had enough fun playing through it and re-learning FE8 that it makes me want to go through and play it again with changed promotion routes. Once again, thanks Bløød.

I played around with Bow ranges for a new playthrough and had a blast, by the way. I didn't do anything drastic, just increased the range of every non-Short Bow by 1 so things felt a little closer to more contemporary FE games. I haven't noticed any major differences in Eirika's route aside from needing to be more careful in Chapter 14... and being able to get hit over the walls in Chapter 16, which actually made me play a bit differently.

Let me just say that this makes Trickster Colm and Arbalest Neimi completely hilarious. I imagine the same would apply to Innes if I used him. I do find it weird that only Anima magic has spells with 3 range, though...

Anyway, War Monk Moulder with a few +STR items is a formidable force when supporting Gilliam.
You know what would be a funny War Monk skill? Axefaith.

EDIT: Jesus christ these fucking warriors in chapter 19 with 40+ ATK and 60+ HP coupled with Barricade and Frenzy is just horrific. If they hit anything with a Silver Bow, it either explodes or gets within range for a Sniper to deliver a follow up kill. This is terrifying.

Edited by l33tmaan

I've really been enjoying this hack. It has completely given new life to FE8 whilst making it a more interesting challenge. Thank you so much for making this hack. I'm looking forward to any future updates.

I have come across an error though. When I reach Chapter 9 on Eirika's route the game seems to glitch out just after the long cutscene with the Emperor, making it unplayable. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this and I can confirm I didn't save in the Tower of Valni beforehand, although I did do a round within it. I checked Ehpraim Chapter 9 and this was not the case. For reference I'm playing using MyBoy on my phone, and I've heard in the past that it can sometimes cause errors, however, I've never experienced one myself.

6 hours ago, Zanzer said:

I have come across an error though. When I reach Chapter 9 on Eirika's route the game seems to glitch out just after the long cutscene with the Emperor, making it unplayable. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this and I can confirm I didn't save in the Tower of Valni beforehand, although I did do a round within it. I checked Ehpraim Chapter 9 and this was not the case. For reference I'm playing using MyBoy on my phone, and I've heard in the past that it can sometimes cause errors, however, I've never experienced one myself.

Been there. make sure your slot 1 character IS Eirika, other than her it will be glitched. If you dont know, on preparation screen on unit select, from top left is slot 1. To make Eirika on slot 1 again just go to valni tower, cancel all of your current roster, and when 0/8 your first pick should be Eirika, that will make her into slot 1

If the problem still persist, make sure slot 1 Eirika and slot 2 up to slot 6 are unpromoted units

Edited by LettuceAway

6 hours ago, LettuceAway said:

Been there. make sure your slot 1 character IS Eirika, other than her it will be glitched. If you dont know, on preparation screen on unit select, from top left is slot 1. To make Eirika on slot 1 again just go to valni tower, cancel all of your current roster, and when 0/8 your first pick should be Eirika, that will make her into slot 1

If the problem still persist, make sure slot 1 Eirika and slot 2 up to slot 6 are unpromoted units

Just tried it out and it fixed the problem. Was worried I had accidentally corrupted the save file without knowing how. Thank you for your help.

Just to check, does this happen on Ephraim if I don't have him in the first slot? And does this happen only on Chapter 9 or can it happen on other Chapters?

18 hours ago, Zanzer said:

Just tried it out and it fixed the problem. Was worried I had accidentally corrupted the save file without knowing how. Thank you for your help.

Just to check, does this happen on Ephraim if I don't have him in the first slot? And does this happen only on Chapter 9 or can it happen on other Chapters?

Not that I know of, Im currently on Eirika chapter 15 and no problems, probably because I always put Eirika on 1st slot before advancing the story

Havent played Eprahim route though so I dont know too

3 hours ago, Xehanort_14 said:

how do i promote to third promotion like war cleric or trickster? i tried promoting colm and moulder but its still the default paths. am new to this patch, am using 04.04.2020 fixed without minimugs

thats the problem, try download the newest version

Hi ! 
Just two questions : How to kill last boss in Ruin lvl 10? My strongest character with his best weapon inflige 0 😞
I use all my legendary weapons.
I drop murdock' s sword, but I don't know which character can use it 

Edit : ok forget my post, I guess I can use weapons drop on ennemy on this map 😛

Edited by Beyondgood

On 7/16/2020 at 12:14 AM, LettuceAway said:

thats the problem, try download the newest version

oh sorry i just realized that too, i didnt see the newest version in the downloads.

by the way i noticed that the Physic staff gives too much exp when being used? my promoted staff users like Moulder gain one level each time they use it, they're somewhat overleveled now compared to my other promoted units. not sure though if fortify or recover does the same thing since im only in chapter 14 and havent encountered shops that sells them yet

Edited by Xehanort_14

Hey guys. I recently took the time to actually play the hack and see how everything is performing myself. Naturally, I found some things that need to be changed, especially class base stats and growths. I feel like the changes I made, when coupled with the skill system, make the game considerably harder. It gets really bad during the later chapters once the enemies start getting their promoted skills, at which point any group of 3+ units becomes a serious threat. I'm seriously considering reverting class base stats and enemy growth rates back to their vanilla values. What do you guys think about this?

I'm also reading all your feedback, but I have a few issues to handle irl at the moment, so it might take some time to address everything.

I'm loving the game, but since you asked about difficulty, I guess I'll bite. I play on normal difficulty, but despite that,  the game sometimes feels a bit rough. Especially when I get to the Scorched Sands chapter, which felt like it would have been impossible to keep Ephraim alive without a high level flier, to clear the units above him. There is a dark mage that can crit Ephraim, Knoll,  and Duessel.  Without Vanessa to clear that out, I'm not  sure how I could have finished the chapter, since that side of the map will be flooded with reinforcements, many of which are mages that Duessel can't tank, and the sand that prevents him from meeting up with the team, on top of the fact that Knoll and Ephraim are dead weight when you get them initially.

And later on, even on fixed mode, there are quite a few units that just aren't strong enough and become a liability on the field. Most of the mages besides Lute felt very lacking in power or speed. Lute felt like a completely mandatory unit to use. Some bosses are just too strong to engage with anyone, so chipping at them from 3 spaces was the only way to keep everyone alive. To some extent, I feel like picking all the wrong units could make the game downright impossible. That or I just suck.

And the lagdou ruins are pretty brutal, but I can appreciate the fact that this post game dungeon is supposed to be very challenging. I haven't spent much time in the ruins so I won't comment on it until I try it some more. But with the tower of valni, I noticed the enemy ignores my units if they cant damage them. Which makes clearing this place post game a real pain in the butt. Since the enemy refuses to touch higher level units.

This mod is really great overall though, just trying to be as constructive as possible. I look forward to any future updates, having a blast with this.

Edited by Libra is best girl