[FE8] [100% Completed] The Sacred Trilogy Reskin and Rebalance

bløød

As always, a great and fully fleshed out fe8 hack. On difficulty - I played on hard-mode, Eirika route (this play-through was completed just before the patch allowing for 3 promotion options) and everything was relatively fine except for the Riev defence chapter which was, in all honesty completely possible but near impossible to end early by getting to Riev himself, chests were a bit of a pain in the ass to get to but nothing too extreme with some well used warps and dances. Not so much a problem as an annoyance but near the end of Eirika route, namely from river of regrets, enemies became so speedy that my capped speed franz could not double them as M!paladin's speed caps at a mediocre 24. Going forward, other endgame maps weren't anything too hard with the final chapter being laughably easy with a quick warp-skip which allows for by-passing any threatening enemy. Now we get to Lagdou ruins. Floors 1 and 2 were easy enough without any additional training in the ruins however floor 3 curb-stomped my units with many of the initial enemies rushing simultaneously. Floor 4 was fine, floor 5 wasn't hard but definitely annoying with the poison, floors 6-8 were fine. Now, floors 9-10 were insanity. Keep in mind that by this stage, my entire team had capped stats across the board from stat-boosters. Floor 9 featured manaketes fe6 style which could proc dragon fang and 1-hit any unit bar Selena due to her personal skill (I think this oversight has since been fixed) but was otherwise fine. Floor 10 however, was like playing fe8 Lunatic++. I couldn't manage to make it past turn 2 legitimately due to the insane force with which the dracozombies hit. It doesn't help that your units are all in their attack range from turn 1, they have 100+ HP (which shows as ???), inflict stone on any unit they can successfully land an attack on with their 160+ hit-rates and ignore defence and res (from memory, this may have been changed in a later patch). At this stage, I wasn't running all leadership star units on my team. Big mistake, my hitrates across the board were shaky at best and enemy hit-rates were incredibly high against almost all units except Swordmaster Marisa with duelists blow. The only unit I had who could reliably take out dracozombies was Innes who could hit them with effective dmg from either a brave-bow, a great-bow or the Reinfleche (Loved the stat-buff to late-game bows in this hack, it does an amazing job of compensating for their lack of 1 range, Gold weapons also fit the late-end game weapon archetype extremely well). Now, Formortiis in this map was an absolute pain to deal with since he has has it all, incredibly high stats and a collection of extremely strong skills including Nihil which makes all your units skills essentially worthless, a major hit in a hack where skills play such a huge roll. I'd say Formortiis is actually fine except for the skill which increases his dmg dealt based on damage taken. This skill may work for weaker, minion-like enemies with around 60 HP but since his HP pool is something like 150+ (can't tell for sure since it displays as ???), engaging him while he is anywhere below around 60HP essentially causes his damage to reach 60+, instantly killing any unit he touches with his hit-rate of almost 200 from memory. Besides this skill (Frenzy I think it was called), I'd say Formortiis is actually fine as final bosses are supposed to be an incredible challenge. And that's pretty much all for my feedback on the difficulty, early-mid game was completely fine with a handful of late-game chapters being challenging. The true hard difficulty lies in late-Lagdou ruins. Overall, still an extremely fun hack to play which spices up vanilla fe8 almost perfectly. 

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that overall, whilst the game definitely has its difficult moments, it's not totally out of proportion outside of a few moments. One thing I have noticed is that Fog of War maps have become considerably more dangerous, with the AI sometimes coming out of nowhere and one-shotting some of my team members. I've also noticed that if you don't train some units early game, it doesn't take long before they become incredibly difficult to train without extreme meatshielding (this happened to me with Artur).

I'd say the easiest way to rebalance this hack, but keep it reasonably difficult would be to have a more paired back skills system (similar to Vision Quest) and balance around the fixed growths patch. One problem I always found with random growths in FE is that it always feels like the games have to be balanced with zero growths in mind, given you could get really unlucky in your level ups. With fixed growths it's easier to fine tune levels given you have a reasonable indicator of where a player should be with their units for a given point in time. I also feel that it could be good to make Easy mode like FE8 normal mode, Normal like  FE8 Hard mode and Hard like FE7 Hector Hard Mode, to allow for a full spectrum of people to play the game (I know you have partially done this but I'm not sure how much you have fine-tuned it for different difficulties).

Overall though, the things you have added to the game are so enjoyable that the difficulty is not something which gets to me too much. I'd honestly love if someone could do the same you have done to FE6 and FE7.

Else maybe for the last patch, just a little change

- All the Smile weapons have +10 Avoid, since they are more weak, i suggest this for a good balance, accuracy is good but alone it's not enough, i mean it's like an iron version but more accurate and weak a lot of people give up about these weapons this is why for me, it will be a good balance in a way.

Else what do you think of this : 

- A map who appears in the end with the possibility to go in Arena.

- A map where there is a boss rush (wave of enemies without stoping)

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry but I have a question, how do I promote to the third class? Like, I wanted to make Vanessa an Arbalest but there's only two options.

Or is any requirement to unlock the third promotion?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Also Neimi doesn't have the third option, I don't know if this is a bug or something...Screenshot_20200830-144454.png.e25f56b893f4269c2bf71d126a72d542.png

Edited by Roberu
Add some information

cara, eu realmente adorei o seu jogo me senti muito feliz, meu amor por ff8 revivido, apenas um pedido, por favor, torne a corda de fogo e o machado de fogo retornado como uma espada de luz, eu adoraria um monge de guerra usando sua magia 29, finalmente sem nada para adicionar acredito que eu jogo já está perfeito.

Hey guys, it's been some time.

So, I'm currently dealing with a lot of stuff irl and I'll have to abandon this project for the time being. I had planned to release a final version, since everything is basically done and I'm just polishing things up and adjusting difficulty. I haven't been able to finish quite everything I had in mind, but I'll release what's been done so far. Consider this a semi-final version lol.

These are the changes from the last version:

-Corrected some cutscenes envolving custom classes
-Class bases and enemy growths have been reduced and are more similar to the vanilla values
-Phantoms can now use their weapons properly
-Some text corrections
-Fixed HP values for some bosses
-Made modifications to monster skills. Bonewalkers and gargoyles have different skillsets
-Added leadership to tower of valni bosses
-Reduced the amplitude of the random poison damage from 5 to 3
-Fixed Knoll's dark magic rank
-Fixed basically everything related to the trickster class
-Updated some magic animations

That'd be all. Big thanks to everyone who stuck around with this project for this long.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:01 PM, Roberu said:

Sorry but I have a question, how do I promote to the third class? Like, I wanted to make Vanessa an Arbalest but there's only two options.

Or is any requirement to unlock the third promotion?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Also Neimi doesn't have the third option, I don't know if this is a bug or something...Screenshot_20200830-144454.png.e25f56b893f4269c2bf71d126a72d542.png

That's because you're playing an old version. Please download the newest one.

On 9/7/2020 at 5:22 PM, bløød said:

Hey guys, it's been some time.

So, I'm currently dealing with a lot of stuff irl and I'll have to abandon this project for the time being. I had planned to release a final version, since everything is basically done and I'm just polishing things up and adjusting difficulty. I haven't been able to finish quite everything I had in mind, but I'll release what's been done so far. Consider this a semi-final version lol.

These are the changes from the last version:

-Corrected some cutscenes envolving custom classes
-Class bases and enemy growths have been reduced and are more similar to the vanilla values
-Phantoms can now use their weapons properly
-Some text corrections
-Fixed HP values for some bosses
-Made modifications to monster skills. Bonewalkers and gargoyles have different skillsets
-Added leadership to tower of valni bosses
-Reduced the amplitude of the random poison damage from 5 to 3
-Fixed Knoll's dark magic rank
-Fixed basically everything related to the trickster class
-Updated some magic animations

That'd be all. Big thanks to everyone who stuck around with this project for this long.

Take your time, this hack is amazing as it is right now so no need to worry about the next update. I hope someday in the future you can come back and put that finish update that you talk about. Thanks for the hack and deal with everything in your life, we will be waiting.

Love this hack, thanks for making a great game better. I found a small glitch that's almost nobody will run into. Amelia's slim lance broke when she hit level 10 and it seems going into another battle causes the game to lock up when displaying her promotion choice with no lance. Easy fix is just giving her a lance before you enter another battle

55 minutes ago, violent observer said:

Love this hack, thanks for making a great game better. I found a small glitch that's almost nobody will run into. Amelia's slim lance broke when she hit level 10 and it seems going into another battle causes the game to lock up when displaying her promotion choice with no lance. Easy fix is just giving her a lance before you enter another battle

Warning: the unarmed animations have been removed in order to accomodate all the new custom classes. Make sure your units have a weapon equipped when promoting, otherwise the promotion screen will glitch out

In the first page you can see that the creator wrote what happen if you promote units without weapons. Always keep all of your units with 2 weapons, just in case something like this happen again.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:34 PM, Streamkai said:

When I start a new game the screen turns black

I downloaded the new version and i didn't have that problem, so i don't know what to say.

I don't know if this will fix the problem for you, but try deleting all the save files and the rom itself. Then download the rom again and use the new version.

Edited by Dedesett

Help. I'm playing the 07-09-20 version. The game constantly deletes manual save files each time the chapter ends. It is actually not a big problem since you could just continue playing and save using save states... up until the end of the game. In which case, the game will delete the save files as soon as you moved to save page after killing the last boss and you could not access the post game map since you forced to restart the game and the whole save files already deleted.

On 9/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, Gippuria said:

Help. I'm playing the 07-09-20 version. The game constantly deletes manual save files each time the chapter ends. It is actually not a big problem since you could just continue playing and save using save states... up until the end of the game. In which case, the game will delete the save files as soon as you moved to save page after killing the last boss and you could not access the post game map since you forced to restart the game and the whole save files already deleted.

I tried the 4 versions of the current patch and none of them deleted my save files after the end of the chapter.

Did you install the new version on a rom patched with a previous version? A lot of errors happen because of that. if that's not the case, then i don't know how to fix it.

15 hours ago, Dedesett said:

I tried the 4 versions of the current patch and none of them deleted my save files after the end of the chapter.

Did you install the new version on a rom patched with a previous version? A lot of errors happen because of that. if that's not the case, then i don't know how to fix it.

this is actually the first time I got this problem. I played some of the older versions and I could save and load without problems. I'll try different rom then

So I played through the game normally up to chapter 8 when the route splits, and I went with Eirka's route. Before I went with her, I had Ephraim up to level 12. I noticed on the spreadsheet with the list of skills that he learns Silent Pride at level 13, but when returned in chapter 15, he auto-leveled to 15 and didn't have Silent Pride. I've got him up to level 20 unpromoted now and he still doesn't have it. Will he learn it any time after he promotes, or is he just forever stuck without that skill?

• 2 months later...

Hey, loving the hack so far. I'm up to Chapter 13 on Ephraim's Route. I found a peculiar "glitch" I wanted to ask about. It seems like twice I've reset (like reset my emulator) from a lethal hit and resumed to find it suddenly wasn't lethal. Or, in other words:

- Selena crits Kyle, which is a one-shot

- I reset the emulator and quit

- Go back later, hit "resume chapter" instead of "restart chapter"

- Long pause before it resumes

- Selena doesn't crit

Is this like a pseudo-Divine Pulse feature you added? If so, bravo.

UPDATE: This has "worked" to fix some enemy crits, but I found it also allowed enemies to move again. Also only seems to work on crits, not hits.

Edited by Marlowe

Update on experiences with the hack: I got through the main game and Valni, working through Ruins. It's quite a challenge! A couple glitches have manifested, but nothing game-breaking. I can list them when I have a bit more time.

Semi-urgent question: Is there any place to get more lockpicks in this game? Seems weird to only have Colm's starting pick. Never mind, I found it.

Edited by Marlowe

• 3 weeks later...

simply loved your game play the first versions where the hp limit was 60 so it was impossible to kill the demon king without casualties ... and a doubt was seeing his prints of that game on the first page and I see that there is a different texture like a half-barred  , I think it's very beautiful, how to do that?