[FE8] [100% Completed] The Sacred Trilogy Reskin and Rebalance

bløød

6 minutes ago, Mattyboyjr06 said:

An absolutely amazing hack to play from start to finish! Excellent job on this - the hack plays well except for a few bugs I encountered while playing through the lagdou ruins (hard-mode). 

On floor 4 of the ruins, breaking the lowest wall segment will cause several tiles to become blank tiles with glitched textures which are impassable by any units (unfortunately I didn't screenshot any of these glitches during my playthrough and don't have a stavestate of them anymore.) 

As mentioned by others before, all mini-bosses starting from the late-game through to the ruins are much weaker than the regular enemies on the map, with most regular enemies in the ruins exceeding the 60 hp cap and some dipping into "??" territory while the mini-bosses are stuck with laughably low stats which don't even reach caps like many regular enemies. 

When using a shortbow+ on Glen and trying to attack from 1-range the game hangs (Maybe there isn't yet a 1 range animation for the shortbow+), I haven't tried with other characters so I don't know if this bug is exclusive to Glen. 

When facing bishops which proc the "flare" skill, Selena still takes damage rather than being hit for 0 as her personal skill allows for all other offensive skills. 

On the 9th floor the manaketes all have attack stats of around 42-45 (nothing unusual) however their damage is unaffected by def and res (like the fire dragon from fe7's final map) and they also have the "dragon fang" ability. This leads to roughly a 30% chance of dragon fang proccing in combat, causing the manaketes to deal more than 60 damage in a single hit which isn't reduced by defense stats - this leads to an instant 1 shot for any player unit regardless of defense and resistance. The only way I could even finish this level was by using Selena against the manaketes as her personal ability allows her to take 0 damage from enemy skill activations. Though I'm not completely sure if this is a bug, it seems a little sketchy that the manaketes are designed to be able to 1 shot any player unit through bypassing defenses as this effectively means using selena is the player's single option for completing this level without using an abundance of 3+ ranged weapons. 

Finally, when a manakete procs dragon fang against selena, the game hangs as she takes 0 damage. The music continues to play however the manaketes animation freezes and the battle never concludes which forces a reset by the player. 

Not a bug but a suggestion would be to allow multiple S-ranks in weapons (I think this has been mentioned before) as there are so many cool weapons made available in the post-game which are unfortunately, locked to a specific collection of characters e.g. Valter loses out on S-rank dark, Selena misses S-rank in light and dark etc. 

Overall this is an exceptional and well thought-out hack, it spices up Sacred Stones with higher difficulty and adds completely new elements as well as a genuinely challenging post-game along with some sweet new custom animations for post-game bosses. 

Also with regards to the minibosses and war dragons, I had neither of these issues on Normal Mode, so I assume its a hard mode scaling issue? Perhaps bosses don't have the scaling applied usually, hence the weakness, and if my memory serves, I have distncy memory of ending a lot of war dragon fights at 1 HP so assume on Normal, the Dragon Fang procs bring up to 59 damage, which is pretty ideal all things considered.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/15/2020 at 5:02 AM, bløød said:

I wish I could do this, but there are two very good reasons preventing me from doing it:

1) I would need to include the female version of the war monk and the male version of the dread fighter. Extending the list of classes is the most dangerous thing you can do the ROM and tends to cause issues with the item data and the skill data. Even the creator of FEBuilder recommends not doing this at all (which I already did).

2) Even if I did include those options, this would lead to the problem of some characters losing access to some weapons their unpromoted class could use. For example, Arthur as a monk promoting to war monk would need to lose his access to light magic. As far as I know, there's no way to do that, as in the vanilla this only happens to Ewan promoting from his trainee class to shaman and losing anima (and this is hardcoded to Ewan only). I'm not sure whether this could damage character data.

Just a random thought but would changing some alternate promotions be a viable workaround to make those classes playable?

Like for example, since Moulder is the only playable Monk class unit then if you were to change the Sage alternate promotion of a Monk into a War Monk then that would make it so that Moulder would not necessarily have a promotion where he loses a weapon he used when unpromoted which is the staff.

For Gladiator, I propose changing the Ranger alternate promotion of the Mercenary class, that way Gerik would be the only potential playable Gladiator unit. I also think this makes a nice choice for the player like would they prefer lances or axes as secondary weapons.

For Dread Fighter, I honestly can’t think of a decent workaround.

Of course, all of this is in the pretext wherein if it is even possible to edit the choices for class promotions.

I really love this hack and appreciate the work you’ve done with it and I just wanted to throw out a few of my ideas to see if they were decent.

As I repllied to @RBRNMarcello, there are two new secret shops in the ruins, which I completely failed to mention in the update. Below are tips for their location (for those who want to search for them) and screenshots with their exact locations (for impatient people).
Hints:
Floor 5: "One does not simply walk into this shop"
Floor 9: "YOU're the king? Well, I didn't vote for you"

Or, you can be insubordinate and check their exact locations here:

Spoiler

C2LxVxW.pnglN07Z2B.png

On 4/18/2020 at 4:56 PM, Chairman Meow said:

I'm thinking about starting this soon (once I'm done with my FE6 playthrough). Are most of the features already implemented, or should I wait for the next update?

Yes, the hack is playable from start to finish. I'm working mostly on bug fixes, graphical improvements and balance tweaks now.

On 4/15/2020 at 7:17 AM, Mattyboyjr06 said:

On floor 4 of the ruins, breaking the lowest wall segment will cause several tiles to become blank tiles with glitched textures which are impassable by any units (unfortunately I didn't screenshot any of these glitches during my playthrough and don't have a stavestate of them anymore.) 

Checked here and the data was strange indeed. Think I fixed it.

As mentioned by others before, all mini-bosses starting from the late-game through to the ruins are much weaker than the regular enemies on the map, with most regular enemies in the ruins exceeding the 60 hp cap and some dipping into "??" territory while the mini-bosses are stuck with laughably low stats which don't even reach caps like many regular enemies. 

I'm struggling to find balance for hard mode. I'll see if I can come up with something for the next update.

When using a shortbow+ on Glen and trying to attack from 1-range the game hangs (Maybe there isn't yet a 1 range animation for the shortbow+), I haven't tried with other characters so I don't know if this bug is exclusive to Glen. 

Yeah, there was no scripted melee range animation for him. Fixed this as well.

When facing bishops which proc the "flare" skill, Selena still takes damage rather than being hit for 0 as her personal skill allows for all other offensive skills. 

Well, the skill system is still a little bit buggy. There's an update for it available, but people have already reported some issues and 7743 says he's working on a fix.

On the 9th floor the manaketes all have attack stats of around 42-45 (nothing unusual) however their damage is unaffected by def and res (like the fire dragon from fe7's final map) and they also have the "dragon fang" ability. This leads to roughly a 30% chance of dragon fang proccing in combat, causing the manaketes to deal more than 60 damage in a single hit which isn't reduced by defense stats - this leads to an instant 1 shot for any player unit regardless of defense and resistance. The only way I could even finish this level was by using Selena against the manaketes as her personal ability allows her to take 0 damage from enemy skill activations. Though I'm not completely sure if this is a bug, it seems a little sketchy that the manaketes are designed to be able to 1 shot any player unit through bypassing defenses as this effectively means using selena is the player's single option for completing this level without using an abundance of 3+ ranged weapons. 

Sorry, this was not intended. Hard mode bonuses are allowing them to one shot player units. Again, I'll see if I can come up with something.

Not a bug but a suggestion would be to allow multiple S-ranks in weapons (I think this has been mentioned before) as there are so many cool weapons made available in the post-game which are unfortunately, locked to a specific collection of characters e.g. Valter loses out on S-rank dark, Selena misses S-rank in light and dark etc. 

I could give characters discipline+ to achieve that, but some already have all their skill slots occupied and would end up underwhelming compared to others who don't. I'm not sure if I could allow this globally without the skill, but I guess I can look into it.

Overall this is an exceptional and well thought-out hack, it spices up Sacred Stones with higher difficulty and adds completely new elements as well as a genuinely challenging post-game along with some sweet new custom animations for post-game bosses. 

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Most of the issues you reported will be fixed in the next update, but some depend on other people rather than me.

On 4/16/2020 at 1:41 PM, TheBluesCrews said:

Just a random thought but would changing some alternate promotions be a viable workaround to make those classes playable?

Like for example, since Moulder is the only playable Monk class unit then if you were to change the Sage alternate promotion of a Monk into a War Monk then that would make it so that Moulder would not necessarily have a promotion where he loses a weapon he used when unpromoted which is the staff.

For Gladiator, I propose changing the Ranger alternate promotion of the Mercenary class, that way Gerik would be the only potential playable Gladiator unit. I also think this makes a nice choice for the player like would they prefer lances or axes as secondary weapons.

For Dread Fighter, I honestly can’t think of a decent workaround.

Of course, all of this is in the pretext wherein if it is even possible to edit the choices for class promotions.

I really love this hack and appreciate the work you’ve done with it and I just wanted to throw out a few of my ideas to see if they were decent.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:14 PM, Bruno said:

Instead of Arthur leaves the war monhera as Ross option when pirate

On 4/16/2020 at 7:52 PM, l33tmaan said:

Really? Just swap out Assassin. It's a bad class anyway.

I appreciate all your suggestions, but I don't really want to deviate so much from vanilla Sacred Stones. I included those special classes to add more variety and I honestly wasn't expecting that people would want to play with them. I'll try to add the third promotion options for some of them after the next update for the skill system gets more stable.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:52 PM, Bruno said:

just a question why on the first floor of the tower did these characters learn the Quick Draw skill at the bottom using an item is this intended if there are more hidden skills?20200423-144822

Screenshot_20200423-144753.png

Screenshot_20200423-144854.png

Screenshot_20200423-144847.png

Screenshot_20200423-144759~2.png

Screenshot_20200423-144822~2.png

That is a bug and not supposed to happen. There's an update for the skill system available, but it's fairly unstable still. I'll update after 7743 says it's ok.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:54 PM, Bruno said:

another question do fire dragons ignore defense and resistance?  something I noticed on the 9th floor of the ruins

Yes, all enemy breath attacks ignore defense and resistance. It works fine on normal mode, but hard mode bonuses seems to make it possible for enemies to one-shot player units. I'll do something about it for the next update.

Hey, I love your hack but I would love to know more on your leadership statistic. Enemies already have 2 stars as early as chapter 2. This makes the hit rate for accurate attacks like 50 percent. How do I increase mine? Is the effect suppossed to be this intense?

Hey just wondering what are the lagdou ruins rewards? On the third try I didn't get lyon but then half way though my fourth attempt Mansel appeared in my party and now all of a sudden it says that I completed it only 1 time. When I load a save in lagdou it then changes to 6...? plz send help

On 5/1/2020 at 8:37 AM, Nobody44 said:

Hey, I love your hack but I would love to know more on your leadership statistic. Enemies already have 2 stars as early as chapter 2. This makes the hit rate for accurate attacks like 50 percent. How do I increase mine? Is the effect suppossed to be this intense?

Not at all. Each leadership star raises hit rate by 5 points and avoid rate by 3 points. 2 stars means the enemies are getting +10 hit rate and +6 avoid rate, but your units are also getting bonuses depending on the amount of stars your team has. I gave leadership stars to the royals mostly, so just having them on the map already gives your team the bonuses. I'm gonna tweak those values for the next update though.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:54 PM, Altale said:

Hey just wondering what are the lagdou ruins rewards? On the third try I didn't get lyon but then half way though my fourth attempt Mansel appeared in my party and now all of a sudden it says that I completed it only 1 time. When I load a save in lagdou it then changes to 6...? plz send help

The rewards are the same as the vanilla game, with the exception of Mansel joining instead of Hayden. You're the only one to report this issue, which usually means you either had an error while patching the ROM or there's an issue with your emulator.

I am in the chapter 18, and looks like there is a bug in the gorgon eggs. Most of them losing health instead of gaining more; some are also immune(?) because "No Damage" appear, so they are neither gaining nor losing health. 

On 5/9/2020 at 9:13 AM, SHINNNNN said:

I am in the chapter 18, and looks like there is a bug in the gorgon eggs. Most of them losing health instead of gaining more; some are also immune(?) because "No Damage" appear, so they are neither gaining nor losing health. 

Dang it, so this bug still persists. It's most likely the skill system breaking the eggs's AI. The same happened with Joshua, who now attacks Natasha. I might need to remake that entire chapter altogether and remove the eggs.

Anyway, the next update is on the way and it will be very ambitious. Skill system has been updated with several new skills and due to popular demand, I will include a third promotion option for most classes and unlimited S rank for everyone. Will need some time to make character palettes for everyone though.

Turns out three promotion options won't be possible after all. The ROM has reached the limit of memory I can use. On top of that, if the unpromoted class is using a weapon that the promoted class can't use, the promotion screen will crash and the game will freeze.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:25 AM, Nobody44 said:

That sounds awesome! Current save files work with updated patches with some simple renaming right?

Yes, but you would miss out on any new skills if your units are already above the level in which they learn said skills.

On 3/29/2019 at 3:52 AM, bløød said:
On 3/29/2019 at 3:52 AM, bløød said:

Have your patch got  Skill Scrolls (learn a random skill) added to drop list and prep screen shop and Amnesia Scrolls (forget a learned skill) ?

Hello there, I'm trying to apply the patch but it always say that the file does not match the patch, I've tried multiple United States sacred stones roms, but none worked with the patch, I've used NUPS and Tsukuyomi to patch, but neither worked, I'm using the visualboyadvance emu, can you help me?

On 5/18/2020 at 5:32 PM, Hong Nhi said:

Have your patch got  Skill Scrolls (learn a random skill) added to drop list and prep screen shop and Amnesia Scrolls (forget a learned skill) ?

Currently, no. However, I would like to include this mechanic in my hack. It will depend on whether 7743 imports that to FEBuilder, because I currently don't have spare time to learn ASM.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:44 PM, Arhuhamel said:

Hello there, I'm trying to apply the patch but it always say that the file does not match the patch, I've tried multiple United States sacred stones roms, but none worked with the patch, I've used NUPS and Tsukuyomi to patch, but neither worked, I'm using the visualboyadvance emu, can you help me?

Which of the four versions are you trying to patch?

On 5/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, bløød said:

Which of the four versions are you trying to patch?

I found a way to do it, it worked fine, with another PC, but I have a noobish question, i am on chapter 5 and my Ross is level 10, he does not promote to tier 1 class automatically? It needs a seal in this hack?

3 hours ago, Arhuhamel said:

I found a way to do it, it worked fine, with another PC, but I have a noobish question, i am on chapter 5 and my Ross is level 10, he does not promote to tier 1 class automatically? It needs a seal in this hack?

He gets promoted once you enter the next battle

4 hours ago, Altale said:

He gets promoted once you enter the next battle

There is a class guide for this mod? I wanna see the class tree to choose what characters I will focus leveling, because I saw there are new classes around, I wanna know all of them to make better leveling decisions

On 5/30/2020 at 9:27 PM, Arhuhamel said:

There is a class guide for this mod? I wanna see the class tree to choose what characters I will focus leveling, because I saw there are new classes around, I wanna know all of them to make better leveling decisions

I honestly would create one except blood mentioned about releasing a new patch with new skills and such. btw is the new patch coming out soon? 🙂

I'm doing my own playthrough of this and, well, I have some serious complaints about one of the early chapters.

Chapter 3, to be precise. In fact, it's one enemy in Chapter 3 that I have massive complaints about. That being the boss, Bazba. Namely, one very specific thing about Bazba...

WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU GIVE HIM SWORDBREAKER?!

Bazba having Swordbreaker, combined with his stats (this is on Normal, by the way), means that if your name isn't Seth, you literally just lose straight-up. Garcia sounds like he'd be a good choice, but he gets two-shot due to his low defense, and Moulder can't heal him enough to keep him alive. Eirika, Colm and Franz are right out. Franz because his stats aren't enough to make up for the fact that he has to use Lances to get an >0 hit rate on Bazba, and Eirika and Colm because Swordbreaker dumpsters their hit rates while giving Bazba high enough hit rates to reliably smash them (and they're frail). Neimi's not got enough bulk to survive a hit even when Bazba is using his Hand Axe. Vanessa gets dumpstered due to her low defense, Gilliam can't hit him for beans even if he's the only Non-Seth character who can survive more than one hit from the Steel Axe. And the less said about Ross, the better.

And if Bazba literally forces you to use Seth on Normal, then that makes me dread how one would fare against him on Hard.

I know that FE8 is often referred to as Seth Emblem, but this is straight-up ridiculous.

Edited by Neosonic97