[FE8] [100% Completed] The Sacred Trilogy Reskin and Rebalance

bløød

The Sacred Trilogy Reskin and Rebalance Final Version Released

7ZspVHs.png

Get the patches here. Apply to clean US FE8 ROM

What is it?

It is a reskin and rebalance of Sacred Stones using classes and music from all 3 GBA games, a lot of new custom classes with new animations, new spells, new weapons, a skill system and many quality of life improvements made by the hacking community. Vanilla campaign was not altered, but difficulty has been slightly raised. This hack features a complete separation from the Strenght and Magic stats, meaning some classes are able to use magic and physical weapons. All of these changes are aimed at making Sacred Stones feel fresh and more challenging, while not altering the story (with the sole exception of Hayden joining on chapter 20). This project was heavily inspired by Sir Serenes' Reskin and Seal's Sacred War hack. There are 8 versions to choose from. They are combinations of 2 choices across 3 categories so that the player can choose whichever version has the configurations they would prefer to play. The categories and choices are as follows:

Full or Lite - The full version contains the community-made skill system. The lite version only contains vanilla skills. The lite version was made for people who complained about skill bloating of the full version.

Random or fixed growths - The random growths is the vanilla system for leveling up. Stats are raised randomly according to character growths. The fixed growths are similar to the system found in FE9. Stats will be raised in predetermined levels.

With or without AI tweak - The versions with the AI tweak will prevent enemies from attacking player units to which they deal 0 damage. The versions without the AI tweak is the vanilla behavior of enemies dumbly attacking anyone in range.

What was changed?

* Many characters have exclusive custom classes
* Hayden joins automatically on chapter 20 and has an exclusive class (Bow Knight)
* Amelia has access to the soldier class and can be promoted to halberdier (using knight's crest)
* Knights, generals, great knights and monarchs move 1 additional tile
* Magic system revamped with new spells. With the exception of siege tomes, wind spells have low mt and 2-3 range. Fire spells have average stats and 1-2 range. Thunder spells have high crit and are locked to melee range. There is also an anima magic triangle. Fire spells are strong against wind. Wind is strong against thunder. Thunder is strong against fire. The traditional magic triangle (anima>light>dark>anima) is still present.
* Every class has a third promotion option.
* Poison damage has been reworked. Poison will deal low damage in early game, but it will gradually increase as the player progresses through the game. In the final chapters, it can deal as much as 20 points of damage. Don't underestimate enemies with poison weapons!
* Some classes have had their HP caps expanded (up to a maximum of 80)
* Added generic female enemy units for more diversity. It always bugged me how 99% of the women of this franchise only fight for the player.
* I manually edited every enemy in the game to improve them by increasing base stats, growths, level or giving them better equipment (in a similar fashion to Seal's hack). Bosses have been buffed and are no longer a joke.
* Armory and shop inventories have been improved so you will have access to better weapons earlier in the game. On top of that, the preparation shop is dynamic and will offer better weapons as you progress through the game.
* Allies join you at appropriate levels so they won't require grinding to become usable. (except trainees)
* Some of the promoted monsters have custom animations too.
* All units can achieve multiple S ranks.
* Ephraim and Eirika have alternative promotions. You must decline the automatic promotion at the end of chapter 16 and use the Solar/Lunar brace for the options to appear.
* Units gain support points by being up to 3 tiles away from each other
* The player can unlock Selena and Lyon by clearing the Tower and the Ruins only once
* Myrrh's dragonstone is unbreakable, but is no longer effective against monsters. It has also been nerfed so Myrrh wouldn't be too broken with unlimited dragonstone. To balance it out, her dragonstone has 1-2 range. There is also a second and a third type of dragonstone that can be aquired in the game.
* Lagdou Ruins is a high-level challenge area for post-game activity. Enemies over there have better stats and powerful, exclusive weapons.
* Starting on chapter 9 there will be mini bosses carrying good loot for the player.
gyVjV1i.png?1

* There is a leadership mechanic which gives units additional avoid and hit rates. (usable by the player and enemies)
* There are two new secret shops in Lagdou Ruins. One on floor 5 and another on floor 9. Both require the warp staff in order to be reached. You can try to find them yourself or check their exact locations here:

Spoiler

2hHED9R.png

4cv7e2W.png

**Quality of life changes**

* Detailed HP bars (by Circles and Zane)
* Skill system -"Full" version only- (by Circleseverywhere, Monkeybard, Black Mage, Blaze,Tequila, Rossendale, StanH, Leonarth, Teraspark, sd9k, Kao, blademaster, Snakey1)
* Show Heal Amount (by Tequila)
* Map Danger Zone (by Circles) - Press the select button to display enemy range
HeWeLBR.png?1
* Colored stats, growth and talk display (by Tequila) - Press SELECT while in the status screen to toggle between growths and stats
CFqnAYF.png?1
* Gain support points up to 3 tiles away (by Venno)
* Units can act after talking or having support conversations
* Metis' tome can be sold (useful for people playing fixed growths mode)
* The preparation screen shop is dynamic and will offer better weapons as you progress through the game.
* You can access the support screen by pressing the "L" button while in the "status" screen
* The preparation shop items have the same pricing as regular shops
* Detailed minimug (by Runa)

Skill list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oeXwIH2tn0Y30FXr0Stx6cbXOHC0IaHVe_ZI9WC03tY/edit?usp=sharing

Promotion Chart

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wXaWtr1oJjKHx4dJ-0xy9FrgwhPYzBA4aYm2V-n9IGs/edit?usp=sharing

Some screenshots

To be updated

Credits
To be updated

* Our lord and savior 7743 for FEBuilder
* Sir Serenes for the idea and palettes for Riev
* TBA, Arch, Skitty and Temp for phantom animations
* IS, Hairyblob and Maiser6 for quicker Zephiel animations
* IS and Blademaster for Athos animations
* TR143 for fixed growth mode
* Temp and sniper_zero for Eliwood repalette and ranged Durandal animation
* Alusk for alternative soldier hover and moving animations
* Spud for soldier Amelia animations
* Spud, TBA, Black Mage, Temp and Wan for halberdier Amelia animations
* Brady Shinners for the animation database
* St jack, Seal and Sacred War for ballista animations
* Iscaneus and Nuramon for knight animations
* TBA for brigand animations
* Glenwing and MK404 for fighter animations
* SALVAGED team and flasuban for cavalier animations
* IS, Circles, Kao and Marlon0025 for Tethys animations
* Alusq and Maiser6 for mercenary animations
* TBA, DerTheVaporeon and Nuramon for general animations
* TBA and Maiser6 for berserker animations
* Nuramon, Swain and Temp for sniper animations
* Nuramon for wyvern lord animations
* Keks_Krebs, Peerless and SD9K for assassin animations
* Swain for hero animations
* IS and Glenwing for swordmaster animations
* Kenpuhu, Aruka and Nuramon for grand paladin custom class and animations
* Alusq for better soldier animations
* CamTech075, LisandraBrave, Zane, Zelix and Lord Glenn for custom icons
* Arkth for Deathgoyle custom animations
* Yangfly for kawaii blader animations
* Nuramon for infantry great lord Ephraim animations
* Teraspark, Pikmin1211 and DerTheVaporeon for dark knight animations
* Seal for legion, elder tarvos and gazer animations
* BwdYeti for elthunder animation
* SHYUTER for forblaze animation
* Blazer and Jubby for meteor animation
* Arch for static, wind and tornado animations
* Seal for tons of stuff like custom icon, map sprites, class cards and battle backgrounds. I cannot stress how awesome he is for making all of this available
* Klokinator for putting many custom animations and map sprites in a single, easy to find place
* dondon151, Sephie, Teraspark, Arch, RobertFPY and HyperGammaSpaces for many card classes and map sprites
* Waleed and flasuban for the male fighter animations and map sprites

Known issues

* Using any of the four new staves with animations turned off will cause a visual glitch

Get the patches here. Apply to clean US FE8 ROM

Edited by bløød

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, zetaku said:

maybe add custom skins if you find any?

I do intend to add some, but the amount of stuff I can modify is limited. FE8 can handle a total of 127 classes, and going above that number usually breaks the game. Some of them are unused by the vanilla game, which are the ones I can edit. Finding them is the hard part, as I need to look through every chapter to be sure. Seth, for instance, was a real pain to edit, because he is everywhere in the game.

7 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Seems pretty interesting! Nothing wrong with simple changes to a game to make it feel fresh again.

Thanks, that is what I was going for. Honestly, I am kinda surprised (and disappointed) that no one had done this before me (as far as I know).  Sacred Stones was the first FE game I've ever played and it holds a special place in my heart. I'm just adding in more flavor.

3 minutes ago, bløød said:

Thanks, that is what I was going for. Honestly, I am kinda surprised (and disappointed) that no one had done this before me (as far as I know).  Sacred Stones was the first FE game I've ever played and it holds a special place in my heart. I'm just adding in more flavor.

Your welcome! Well, I think that everyone has a different look on what's fun/interesting, so it's almost always different every time. I think it's pretty fun, but that's just me.

18 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I have to say, I like the idea of Joshua having gamble, pretty clever. That's about as far as I've gotten so far, sorry!

Credit where credit is due: that was not my idea, it was automatically applied when I installed the system skill, so kudos to the authors. Take your time and don't worry abouth rushing the game. I just wanna know if people are actually enjoying what I've been doing, since I received virtually no feedback so far.

I've been enjoying this project greatly so far, but I did find one small bug: whenever I hover the cursor over Ephraim (if he hasn't taken his turn already) then his map sprite disappears. I can still move him and his sprite returns after he's done with his turn. Additionally, when I bring up the stats menu his sprite is invisible on the bottom left hand side. It's not game-breaking, but it is a little odd. I'm playing the most recent fixed growths mode patch, if it helps. 

Edited by Dinkiniensis Pontifex

56 minutes ago, Dinkiniensis Pontifex said:

I've been enjoying this project greatly so far, but I did find one small bug: whenever I hover the cursor over Ephraim (if he hasn't taken his turn already) then his map sprite disappears. I can still move him and his sprite returns after he's done with his turn. Additionally, when I bring up the stats menu his sprite is invisible on the bottom left hand side. It's not game-breaking, but it is a little odd. I'm playing the most recent fixed growths mode patch, if it helps. 

Thanks for the feedback! I adressed this issue in the latest patch (1.2), which was uploaded an hour ago. It works fine on my end. Can you confirm if the problem still persists?

My only suggestion is to place a second download link at the top, because the first one's somewhere after the long thing of pictures (in other words, kinda hard to find).  If I didn't have to go poof soon, I'd download this and give you better feedback.

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

My only suggestion is to place a second download link at the top, because the first one's somewhere after the long thing of pictures (in other words, kinda hard to find).  If I didn't have to go poof soon, I'd download this and give you better feedback.

Done. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, bløød said:

Credit where credit is due: that was not my idea, it was automatically applied when I installed the system skill, so kudos to the authors. Take your time and don't worry abouth rushing the game. I just wanna know if people are actually enjoying what I've been doing, since I received virtually no feedback so far.

Oh, alrighty then, I just noticed it, was all. I also see that the character growths are the same as normal FE8. it doesn't bother me at all, just that I have pretty awful luck when it comes to FE8, is all. I mean, this is a reskin, so I suppose you want to keep it the same. What kind of feedback do you want? Unit balance, game difficulty? It's hard to say, i'm not that great at fire emblem, so it might not mean anything coming from me.

Steal doesn't work on this one. There is no Steal command when moving Colm next to the enemy with stealable items although his speed is far more than his foe. Didn't test on Rennac 'cos I haven't play his chapter yet.

Edited by skywalker

1 hour ago, skywalker said:

Steal doesn't work on this one. There is no Steal command when moving Colm next to the enemy with stealable items although his speed is far more than his foe. Didn't test on Rennac 'cos I haven't play his chapter yet.

Yeah, that's an unfortunate issue caused by the new skill system conflicting with the vanilla one. Unless the authors fix it, there is not much I can do  about it. To counter this fact, I made the stealable items droppable instead.

14 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Oh, alrighty then, I just noticed it, was all. I also see that the character growths are the same as normal FE8. it doesn't bother me at all, just that I have pretty awful luck when it comes to FE8, is all. I mean, this is a reskin, so I suppose you want to keep it the same. What kind of feedback do you want? Unit balance, game difficulty? It's hard to say, i'm not that great at fire emblem, so it might not mean anything coming from me.

Well, the fixed growths mode is an excellent solution for people who always get RNG-screwed like me. It also prevents units from getting RNG-blessed and ruining the game's balance. I don't really intend to change growths for now though. Mainly the feedback I want is regarding the game difficulty and bug reports.  

Hey guys, I just realized Eirika's alternative promotion is skill-less. I am currently working on this, so I suggest waiting for the next update if you plan to promote her to that class.

1 hour ago, bløød said:

Hey guys, I just realized Eirika's alternative promotion is skill-less. I am currently working on this, so I suggest waiting for the next update if you plan to promote her to that class.

Wouldn't risk losing my save, you can pick the skills then I'll apply it on my own. (no offense)

1 hour ago, skywalker said:

Is it safe to use the 0.9.11 save or do I have to play the latest patch from scratch?

I honestly don't know. Make a backup first and try it. I think the only things that should conflict with ver 0.9.11 are skills if a unit I edited in the recent versions already joined you.

Version 1.7 is out guys. I'm pretty satisfied with what I've done so far and this is probably the last update I will release in the near future. I will return eventually with ver 2.0 to do something regarding Lagdou ruins. For now, that location is unedited and probably unbalanced. Thanks to everyone who has shown interest in this project.