Best use of the Villager Pitchforks

Hey so I just ran through the game on normal and decided to run through it on Hard (which Im told isn't that hard), I plan on not doing any grinding unless necessary. Anyway, as is probably apparent from the title, my question is who makes the best use of the villager forks. Ive looked online for some people's thoughts but I keep getting so many different opinions and I only have three forks. I'd like to use at least one on someone from each army. Thoughts?

Edited by Gramork
A word was not spelled correctly.

Having just done a playthrough of myself recently, I'll just say one of those pitchfork NEEDS to go to Lukas to reclass into a mercenary cause by god does that man hit hard and fast.

Yeah, Hard mode isn't too much of a leap in difficulty. A lot of enemies carry weapons now, including archers, so don't expect Pegasus knights to blitz the map like they can in Normal. The difficulty jumps are also much larger and more noticable, and don't be surprised if most of the post-battle dialogue is "that was really painful", even if no one was really at risk of dying.

Anyway, as for the topic in question: Definitely Valbar. He won't have much of a use on Celicas side as a knight, but reclass him into anything else, and he'll keep his high strength and defense. And as a mercenary, while he may not be the fastest one in the game, that speed bonus will be enough. About the only downside to doing so is that it removes some of the challenge on Celicas side. Sure, he'll fall if a magic user so much as sneezes on him, but he can handle any physical threat.

Really, anyone in the soldier class line is a good pick for the villager fork. They keep their high defense and strength, and gain more movement and speed from the other classes. This ends up making them pretty powerful "Master-of-All's". The only potential problem I can see is that Alm's path doesn't have many equitable swords if you decide to go the mercenary route, but with their high strength, that may not be much of an issue.

Like others have said Lukas and Valbar are both good option. Lukas is just insanely strong as a Dread Fighter or Bow Knight and Valbar makes a good replacement as a Bow Knight since Leon's AI is likely to get himself killed on hard mode before you can save him. Forsyth is also good if you plan on using him but honestly I haven't used him in a while since I tend to stick with only 10 units for both armies on hard mode since dungeons only allow you to bring 10 units plus it lessens grinding.

I usually spend my third pitchfork on Boey. He is really not that good of a Mage, especially compared to Celica and Mae (plus Sonya if you get her too) since he doesn't learn Seraphim and Excalibur comes too late for him. I usually change him into an archer just because bows are really good in this game and as previously mentioned Leon usually gets himself killed plus Boey is one of my favorite characters from Echoes so of course I want him to be as strong and useful as he can be.

I have heard that Tatiana is also a good pitchfork candidate in order to raise her attack stat so Fortify has more range but this requires grinding.

I've tried pitchforks on Lukas, Clive and Python.

Clive became a beastly tank, Python was actually pretty fast and became a really reliable bow knight and Lukas as a dread fighter is utterly terrifying.

I regret that there's only three pitchforks per file, being able to reclass the other armours was my original goal.

Pegasus Knight Mae helps quite a bit in Celica's route once you reach the desert maps. Forsyth/Lukas and even Clive can pitchfork into Bow Knight or Dread Fighters

Here me out here,  mage silque (she wrecks with her good magic and Faye is a better healer), archer Clive (his attack gets suprisingly high and he has the hp to take more than 2 hits) and soldier Kamui (because Saber is a better merc, and a decently fast knight is really good for most of celica's route, Saber's too good to reclass and Jesse joins to late to be helpful without grinding. 

Edited by Pengaius

Clive is a strong contender for pitchfork for me. Mine had really bad luck on my last play through as a cavalier but he's worth using if only as a power up for Matilda. 

As an archer though wouldn't it be difficult to keep him near Matilda? Yes he eventually has good movement as a bowknight but I'm trying to avoid grinding. I'm down to try it, if only to be something different with him.

My current file's 3 picks were

Forsyth (Better option than Lukas, no growths below 30 won him the fork)

Zeke (To make him even more badass)

Conrad (His resistance growth has made him my strongest unit, he's still a dread fighter, but his maxed resistance gives him better stats than all of my level 20 overclasses)

Rejects

Clive (He was doing well enough without the fork)

Lukas and Valbar (Lukas had poorer growths in some areas, Valbar would have been a headache to get him to 4 resistance to have him comparable to my other dreads)

Nomah (Sanity bail, Nomah sucks)

• 1 month later...

Ultimately, I think it depends on what kind of playthrough you're doing.

On anything resembling an efficiency playthrough, I'd immediately go for the three soldiers. Every other unit has a use in their base class (even Boey in providing chip, heals, and just adding consistency through giving more options in the action economy), where Lukas, Forsyth, and Valbar will generally be left behind otherwise outside of a few specific strat's (Valbar's contribution to Deen's map being the example that comes to mind).

If you're more focused on post-game, I'd start saving them for female units you intend to bring that could use another loop of level ups. Tatiana was mentioned above, and is a prime example of this. She's arguably one of the best characters in the game as she allows you to play more aggressively with your party via Fortify, but has very few levels to work with. Having access to a 20/20/20 loop of levels would help her a lot. 

I would never use it on someone already in the mercenary line, as they already have the fork built in. I'd also never recommend reclassing into the soldier line, as it's the worst class-line by far. Some people might suggest initially going Soldier, and then reclassing into a better line with the forks later, but if you're already grinding, you will get the stats regardless just by going mercenary on your male units and grinding, so it's just a waste of forks.

Special mention goes to the aforementioned Pegasus!Mae, as she's really good in a high-efficiency/LTC context. Not something I'd do most of the time, but it's very optimal if playing under a specific set of restrictions.

As others have said, the soldiers would like them to fix their main issues. For my part, I've only tried Forsyth as a merc, but he's doing alright so far.

A weird option, but I've also tried cavalier Boey, after getting to the Seabound Shrine. He's a decent option for it, honestly; his stats are all decent (including his speed, once he's not being weighed down by his spells), and he annihilated the last two boat maps along with the first couple maps of Act 3. I'll have to see how he performs from then though, that's as far as I've gone on that playthrough.

I've also heard people say Luthier makes for a good archer, but I haven't tried it for myself.

If you just want some fun reclass options that make no sense, Ghaststation's suggestion of Baron Nomah is hilarious. And Clive looking ridiculous in the Mage classline will give you a laugh (which is about all he's good for in any class).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Personally, I went with Cavalier Lukas. Get him to a Baron and then get him to Cavalier. As a Gold Knight, he has the bulk of a Baron along with high movement and speed. You could utilize the fork to make him a merc and then go for gold knight, that would also be a good option. I used my second fork on Zeke, I had him become a merc for the additional ability. Although, he is extremely decent without it. My final fork was used on Python. I changed him, like Lukas and Zeke, to the mercenary class. The difference here is that I had him keep repeating the merc line. With Python's high skill growth, give him a Brave Sword and he could be much more reliable. It also saves him from his low speed growth. I had initially thought of using the fork on Conrad or Forsyth. I didn't use it on Conrad because I enjoy his play style as a Gold Knight. I didn't use it on Forsyth because I didn't want to have Valbar as my only Knight. (The characters I was debating between the most was Zeke or Conrad)