FE 4 Final Chapter

Wakenjake

Hey everyone! So, I'm not very well known around here and haven't really posted very often in any forums or anything like that but I've always looked to forums for information or just interesting discussion on Fire Emblem; since I don't have many friends that play Fire Emblem. As of today I've beaten most main FE titles (at this point I'm missing 1, 2, 3, and 12) and today I finally beat one of my favorites FE4 (if not the most mental trying game to play in my opinion, though I only played through Thracia once heavily relying on save states). I sat down this morning ready to finally beat this final chapter and wow I was not ready for Endgame. I didn't find Ishtar particularly hard (Arthur Forseti Crit ftw) I found that the sheer amount of status staves, mainly the sleep ones very frustrating. Along with the Pegasus Sisters being an irritating surprise and that bow dude who is the son of Andre surprisingly gave me trouble though i think that was more rotten luck. Finally just Julius and Manroy were left and again I underestimated this Chapter and figured Ares and Arthur would be fine to assualt Julius's castle with ease while Seliph went to kill Manfroy. in one enemy phase somehow they both died! Which frankly I didn't know Max level Levin!Arthur COULD die. So finally after much sacrifice I kill Manfroy get NagaJulia and head with Seliph to fight their brother. Here I encountered another hurdle, I haven't leveled Julia once all game. Honestly this being my first play though i thought Naga was so busted she didn't need any levels well I was wrong. So back to the Velthomer she walks and owns the arena getting to around level 8 or something and it was still and complete challenge to kill Julius with her and Seliph. I would not have succeeded without saves states that is for sure.

So out of curiosity does anyone else have any interesting takes on FE 4 Endgame? Did I make a lot of mistakes, or make it harder on myself? how do you approach this chapter? Did you know Levin!Arthur was mortal?

Not leveling Julia at all? That is a little surprising. And interesting to hear that at base she isn't good enough to do it, must be too slow and thus doubled by Julius's Pursuit. With Nosferatu, she was monstrously good for me.

The final fight of FE4 starts with too much siege and status, just like the prior chapter, given the nonexistent Res stats most units have. Fortunately, a trained Seliph with Tyrfing can solo it, unlike Chapter 10.

Taking Dozel is a joke, since Axes are atrocious in this game, only Brian himself is threatening, and sending unpromoted Axe Knights out is a real laugh for the final fight.

Scipio is indeed a bit hairy, but fortunately his army of Brave Bows is slowed by all that forest. Had I just had Ced or Leif solo it, it would have been problem-free, but instead I threw mostly everyone at it. With the exceptions of Tine, her husband Ced, Arthur, his wife Fee, and Altena- they all tackled the Hilda and the Barons of Freege, which are easily chokepointed and picked off slowly, although Pavise is annoying.

With regards to last offensive of Loptyr led by Ishtar, not too bad, some powerful enemies, but you've the entire map now to play with them and your own demigods. Only the Pegasus trio was tricky, but I lucked out. Ishtar I think actually missed before dying, ironic with Mjolnir's +20 Skl. 

After Ishtar, Seliph soloed Manfroy's group while Ares and Leif and Lene baited Julia away. I could've had other units then kill the Deadlords, but I feared Julius's Meteor + Charge/Accost/Confront. Julia with Naga nearly died though soloing the Deadlords, even with Naga's +20 Def, she was still physically squishy enough against these most elite defenders. 

Yeah, I can't say I had the same experience with Julia, considering she was capped out in advance and proceeded to easily leave Julius at 5HP after 1 round (I finished with Yewfelle. Because of course). Can't say I know how mortal Lewyn!Arthur is considering I went with Azel!Arthur, but he's not on Lewyn!Ced's level if he's mortal.

I also had the experience of throwing only 4 units at Scipio including both of the Ulir boys and didn't remember it being insane, so I had to have done something right. One nice thin about Ced having capped magic is silencing Ishtar, now that's worth the price of a silence use.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not leveling Julia at all? That is a little surprising. And interesting to hear that at base she isn't good enough to do it, must be too slow and thus doubled by Julius's Pursuit. With Nosferatu, she was monstrously good for me.

Actually, base Julia (11 Base, -12 WT, +20 Narga bonus = 19 AS) with Narga doubles Julius (27 base, -12 WT = 15 AS). She's certainly capable of killing Julius but it becomes stupidly tedious if she's a base level so she'd need assistance in the form Charisma skills adding to her hit and avoid. The problem is simply Julia's attack power at base (41 vs Julius' 35 Mdf). Her MAG growth is 100% so each level is literally a point of difference. At base level, 1 attack from Julius leaves her at 3 HP so if Charge procs, she HAS to dodge.

I once had an endgame with an unpromoted Julia but she was level 16 so she was certainly doing more than 6 damage per Naga shot.

As for how I approach the final chapter? mooks go down using whoever can kill them and bosses like the Falco Knight trio are typically the only possible problems solved with Charisma stacking.

Julius (in the final chapter) is actually immune to every user of the Holsety; even with the higher sage magic cap that a Levin! Ced has, and the luck to reach 30 magic and a +5 magic ring he is still short of damaging him, although in chapter 10 Julius lacks Nihil so crits can kill him there. Its interesting that you not only had a base level Julia, and that she can't deal with Julius without a few levels.

In the last Genealogy run I did I defeated Julius before recruiting Julia, thanks to the three legendary sword wielders, but it takes a while, and you really want to pick who equips the strength rings carefully (to make odd strength values even) and set things up to maximize the leadership and charm boosts to overcome Julius's own leadership, as below 1/2 health his wrath makes him very lethal to Shannon and Ares (Seliph's Nihil protects him). The sleep staves early on kinda restrict either Seliph or maybe Ares (assuming you have gotten enough Mdef) to dealing with taking Edda, although the ones around Freege are far more annoying as you need flight or range to deal with them quickly, and a couple of people are probably going to dose to deal with that. The only trouble I could imagine with Dozel is if you are playing blind and didn't prepare a defense of Chalphy, as the generic axes are easy and you have enough legendary weapons to deal with Brian. Knowing Scorpio is coming (and the fact his spawn can trigger before you engage the Gelben Ritter) makes him fairly easy to deal with in the trees. Ishtar and her attack squad are probably the hardest part of the map, although the Deadlords aren't pushovers either. I wish I hadn't paired Sylvia as the extra charm user would have pushed Julius's accuracy down to 1% against Shanon, pushed Seliph's up to 100%, and made Ares have less than a 50% chance of dying to wrath after half health. The alternate death quote if Seliph kill Julius is a cool call back, and the extra event with Julia and Manfroy after Julius's death was interesting to see. Although this did also give me the chance to experiment with a weird glitch in this game. Actually reporting that glitch was my first foray into this forum, so I guess its been a while since I last did a Genealogy run...

17 hours ago, Wakenjake said:

Hey everyone! So, I'm not very well known around here and haven't really posted very often in any forums or anything like that but I've always looked to forums for information or just interesting discussion on Fire Emblem; since I don't have many friends that play Fire Emblem. As of today I've beaten most main FE titles (at this point I'm missing 1, 2, 3, and 12) and today I finally beat one of my favorites FE4 (if not the most mental trying game to play in my opinion, though I only played through Thracia once heavily relying on save states). I sat down this morning ready to finally beat this final chapter and wow I was not ready for Endgame. I didn't find Ishtar particularly hard (Arthur Forseti Crit ftw) I found that the sheer amount of status staves, mainly the sleep ones very frustrating. Along with the Pegasus Sisters being an irritating surprise and that bow dude who is the son of Andre surprisingly gave me trouble though i think that was more rotten luck. Finally just Julius and Manroy were left and again I underestimated this Chapter and figured Ares and Arthur would be fine to assualt Julius's castle with ease while Seliph went to kill Manfroy. in one enemy phase somehow they both died! Which frankly I didn't know Max level Levin!Arthur COULD die. So finally after much sacrifice I kill Manfroy get NagaJulia and head with Seliph to fight their brother. Here I encountered another hurdle, I haven't leveled Julia once all game. Honestly this being my first play though i thought Naga was so busted she didn't need any levels well I was wrong. So back to the Velthomer she walks and owns the arena getting to around level 8 or something and it was still and complete challenge to kill Julius with her and Seliph. I would not have succeeded without saves states that is for sure.

So out of curiosity does anyone else have any interesting takes on FE 4 Endgame? Did I make a lot of mistakes, or make it harder on myself? how do you approach this chapter? Did you know Levin!Arthur was mortal?

thing is: there are some unique units that will eventually give you access to specific items if you know what to do in order to obtain them( Pursuit ring, Defender/Barrier sword, Berserk staff, etc ), making the game a bit easier in some situations. even if they're not always necessary, they do help a lot.

same goes for skills and items inheritance. some skill builds are more efficient than others, while saving most items from 1st generation can make a huge difference in the long run, if you plan properly wich unit will carry them to 2nd gen.

needless to say, farming arenas is a great way to get both stats and money, even if your units can't manage to complete them.

as for Julia, she'll have more chances to level up just by healing others, rather than using tomes. having a dancer sticking around also help with that, as more heals can be given per turn.

if you give her enough attention and care, you should be able to obtain some decent stats by the end of the game.

in my last run of Genealogy, i managed to get her at this point:

Fire-Emblem-Seisen-no-Keifu-Japan-En-by-

defeating Julius was a walk in the park with her, compared to my previous run of the game where Ares and Seliph had a hard time dealing with him.

as for the "royal guards" around the last castle, i suggest using all kinds of debuff items available( sleep, berserk, silence swords and staffs ), otherwise surviving will be very hard, since those are meant to be the strongest enemy units in game.