Shin Sakura Wars: Coming West, New Details

Jedi

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

CONFIRMED TO BE COMING WEST, HOLY CRAP.

I thought it had a chance of coming west, but anyway, my reaction is best summed up here:

Well it is always good news to hear a franchise is going aboard. From what I'm aware, only Sakura Wars 5 has ever left Japan before.

I'm not one for this game, a game that is half dating sim, half strategy, is not just very appealing to me. Nonetheless, I wish it well. Make love gently, and war furiously.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well it is always good news to hear a franchise is going aboard. From what I'm aware, only Sakura Wars 5 has ever left Japan before.

Yep this will only be the 2nd game to come West. 

This coming to the west has certainly piqued my interest in this series. One of the few big SRPG franchises that I never got into.

Knowing there's a lot of overlap with the development(At least gameplay-wise) with VC has also gotten me interested.

And damn if seeing Kubo characters doesn't make me nostalgic. 

Also, have you made some sort of pact with a demon, @Jedi? I feel like a large number of niche games that you're super hyped about have been announced/released lately.

Edited by Slumber

21 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Also, have you made some sort of pact with a demon, @Jedi? I feel like a large number of niche games that you're super hyped about have been announced/released lately.

I don't recall doing so! Companies just want my money right now hahaha. 

Between like Streets of Rage coming back, Cold Steel 3 getting localized, Ys 9, this, and numerous other things like Freedom Planet 2 is also due this year, I dno what is going on.

Edited by Jedi

I'm really excited about this! Even though I don't have a PS4 (hoping for a Switch release, but not getting my hopes too high...)

I really like the design of the "main" girl! She's very cute! ?

2 hours ago, DancingDanny said:

I'm really excited about this! Even though I don't have a PS4 (hoping for a Switch release, but not getting my hopes too high...)

I really like the design of the "main" girl! She's very cute! ?

Maybe a PC release? Maybe a Switch release, I dno tbh. Seems to be just PS4 for now. but I wouldn't be surprised to see other consoles getting it. 

I think the designs in general are awesome so far, the darker skinned girl reminds me a lot of Schera from Trails in the Sky too lmao.

Ok, the trailer didn't do that much for me(except the kyobou action, they're still called that right?), but this is still pretty nice. Hopefully this at least gets a pc release; and it's a ways off, anyway. Almost surprisingly so, considering the trailer does not really look early.

This is confirmed to be a new protagonist, right? The dual katanas, song and title made this look like a reboot for a moment.

7 hours ago, Cysx said:

This is confirmed to be a new protagonist, right? The dual katanas, song and title made this look like a reboot for a moment.

It's a new protagonist for sure, doesn't seem to be related to Ichiro or his son at the moment.

17 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It's a new protagonist for sure, doesn't seem to be related to Ichiro or his son at the moment.

Wild guess, his master is Ichiro's sister Futaba aka THE MOST TERRIFYING WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

Anyway, awesome that the series is coming back and finally getting an overseas release. It's PS4-only now, but I can't see SEGA NOT making a Switch due to how much the system is selling over in Japan. After all, Valkyria Chronicles 4 didn't get a Switch announcement until the PS4 version was released in Japan.

Also, Samantha Ferreira at Anime Herald spotted a neat little Easter Egg in the trailer:

3 minutes ago, Aiddon said:

Wild guess, his master is Ichiro's sister Futaba aka THE MOST TERRIFYING WOMAN IN THE WORLD.

Anyway, awesome that the series is coming back and finally getting an overseas release. It's PS4-only now, but I can't see SEGA NOT making a Switch due to how much the system is selling over in Japan. After all, Valkyria Chronicles 4 didn't get a Switch announcement until the PS4 version was released in Japan.

Also, Samantha Ferreira at Anime Herald spotted a neat little Easter Egg in the trailer:

Nice Sumire coming back among others! 

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Nice Sumire coming back among others! 

Ironic that the character who retired is the first confirmed to return. Also, this means brace for a Sumire redesign

11 minutes ago, Aiddon said:

Ironic that the character who retired is the first confirmed to return. Also, this means brace for a Sumire redesign

I'm sure a Kubo design will work with her pretty well. I have faith in that. 

29 minutes ago, Slumber said:

So where would be a good place to start with Sakura Wars? Just start from 1 and just go from there?

It might be hard, I only managed to play 1 with a now lost to time guide. That had the script translated.

We only got 5 localized.

21 minutes ago, Jedi said:

It might be hard, I only managed to play 1 with a now lost to time guide. That had the script translated.

We only got 5 localized.

Yeah, I'm aware.

But I've gone through more hoops to play games I've had less interest in, so it's not gonna stop me.

18 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, I'm aware.

But I've gone through more hoops to play games I've had less interest in, so it's not gonna stop me.

The games are pretty newcomer friendly and get you up to speed, save maybe for 4 which is pretty much an expansion pack for 3. Starting from the beginning is fine, but 1 and 2 are kinda aged due to the battle system. Just keep in mind you'll be spending WAY more time in the visual novel side of the game mingling with the female cast than in the strategy side fighting demons.

13 hours ago, Aiddon said:

Considering Kubo's style I expect "boin boin."

Hm... we'll see. I'm just glad she's back as a character with a (maybe) relatively big role, though. She was a highlight of 1 for me.

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

Yeah, I'm aware.

As said above, the issue is that 1's gameplay is really basic by today's standards, from what I remember anyway. Apparently the series actually became a good t-rpg franchise from 3 onwards, but I can't tell you to what extent since I still need to play it. So it 'd either be 1, 3 or 5(since 2 and 4 are more direct sequels), depending on what you're looking for.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

We only got 5 localized.

Crazy, we did the same thing. But either way, Gamefaqs still has the complete translated scripts for all but 4(that or 4 is really short).

Edited by Cysx