Yeah, first of all, I probably messed up again with the forum I'm posting this, sorry.

I'm just a little curious right now, what do you think of Armors/Knights/Generals/Marshalls in general?

And what do you think about the FE10 Knight/General/Marshall? (FE10 had, IMO, the strongest ones. I mean, THEY HAD SPEED!)

Armors are pretty bad throughout the series. They do their job of having lots of defense so they can take lots of hits but their mobility just prevents them from being relevant as you get better at the games and can proceed quickly enough with your other units.

I think the game they're better off in would be fates where they have the Wary Fighter skill to work and Pair-up helps mitigate their movement issues.

I never have used them endgame, since I really never have cared and that 4 mov always put me off, welll except in echoes, I use everyone in that game.

And FE10 knights aren't anything special either only Tauroneo is good from that class and possibly someone else I'm forgetting, nope that's not Meg. Meg sucks.

Ha, sweet Mekkah reference.

So one thing that bugs me is that armor knights only theoretically thrive in indoor maps which are already rare in Fire Emblem games. The one-unit wide chokepoint is perfect for them. But it's those same maps where you're confronted with thieves plundering chests, and you have to hurry up and kill or loot before they do. Those same maps are also the ones where we've seen siege tomes and status staves which they are also very weak to. So really there are no maps in which armor knights thrive.

I just proposed this idea in the similar Heroes thread, but I hope they put the Obstruct skill from that game on armor knights so that they can be physical walls everywhere they go. That way your squishy units don't have to hang out as far behind them. Armor units benefiting from dancer or healer support would really be fantastic, because those units can never get that close to the front line unless there's a chokepoint. Armor units are that moveable chokepoint. I think with that dynamic, all of the armor knight's typical weaknesses make a lot more sense. I still want them countered hard by mages and maybe they can get a skill where the icon is them putting their shield up to take reduced damage from siege tomes. Giving them free doubles like in Heroes just seems like a silly and lazy solution for armor knight viability. 

FE10 armor knights were indeed very good, but I feel like the class balance in general was stellar in that game - even if the character balance was especially bad due to availability reasons. And it was a little jarring seeing armor knights with just a few points of speed lower than the faster halberdier and swordmaster classes. In general, FE10's class balance is really owed to units having extremely equalized stats across the board, where only stat caps keeping them a little polarized during the late game. Gatrie for instance is just three points away from capping speed in his starting class. And has a 60% speed growth which ties with strength and defense for his second highest growth. That's just wild. In path of radiance his speed was a 25% growth and it wasn't as high as his strength and defense starting stats.

Edited by Glennstavos

I think that they're overrated in the 3ds games. Sure, half damage from arrows in SoV sounds useful; but Valbar and others have  an shitload of defense, which kills the point. And they're kind of useful in Fates & Awakening when you're being rushed by physical fighters. But since they can barely keep up with my 6-8 movement team, it ruins the blitzkrieg.

Their main problem is that they are clearly balanced as an enemy unit. 

From a player perspective, the low movement is enought to make them balanced. 

The low speed, resistance, and the existence of hammers and armorslayers are not there to nerf our knight. Are there for the armor red units that don't get ORKOed by anyone using normal weapons and for the obligatory bunch of generals sitting on thrones. 10 turn of war of attrition to kill the Boss are not fun, so the game give you tools to deal with their huge defense.

Generals won't be good as long as Intsys treat them as an enemy class first, and player class second. If this makes them too annoying to deal with as enemies, they can just use them less.

They tend to have it bad, but they still have it better than fighters do, for the most part. Wary Fighter in Fates was a pretty big help for their longevity.

They are great for defense missions or blocking off a bottleneck.
Also provided you're not getting doubled, having low speed in a way does compliment defensive play pretty well.

...though Fire Emblem in general encourages efficiency,
so I don't usually use knights/generals except for early game.

I will say though, the GBA Knights and Generals are still some of my favorite class designs in general.

One of the big problems armors have in the series in general is that most maps are rout, seize, or defeat boss which all favor being able to move around the map quickly.  Defense maps are either very rare or absent from the game completely, which are the maps they would be best utilized in.

I don't really have anything to add since this is a ''your opinion'' not ''mine''. 

But...I just want to say that I need to marry the man who said this:

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

''...Brom is my favorite...'' 

Good Resistance General was a great idea as it lets them actually tank. The only problem with RD Armored units is that RD Wyverns are a little overpowered, they needed the bow weakness back with the magic weakness.

Until Vestaria Saga Gaiden, FE1's two weapon armor knights were the only ones in the entire franchise despite even Pegasus Knights getting dual weapons again in FE4.