Critical Role Forum - Any Fans Here?

TheGoodHoms

Critical Role is a popular weekly Dungeons & Dragons game live streamed on Twitch(uploaded to YouTube as well) featuring a group of voice actors including Matthew Mercer, Marisha Ray, Travis Willingham, Laura Bailey, Liam O'Brien, Sam Regal, Taliesin Jaffe, and Ashley Johnson. I got into this show a year ago just as they started their second season and it's become something of a weekly routine for me to tune in and keep up with the ongoing story. Knowing the show has such a big following, I wanted to know if we had any other Critters here on Serenes Forest and maybe start a discussion if there's interest.

Links below to the show on YouTube if you haven't seen the show, but would like to try it out. I'm linking both seasons, but I recommend season 2 for newcomers since it starts at a proper beginning and watching season 1 is not required to enjoy it.

Edited by TheGoodHoms

@TheGoodHoms

Yeah, it funny because I learned about CR because of Fire Emblem because a lot of the voice actors of Awakening are in members of Vox Machina (formely the S.H.I.T.s)/ Mighty Nein.

I was searching about the voice actress for Lucina because the ones in Heroes/ Warriors sounded somewhat different from the one in the game (except heroes OG Lucina). So one thing let to another and here I am now.

At the same time I was beginning to learn about D&D (I did play other RPGs like Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, the legend of the five rings, etc) so it was a big coincidence.

1 hour ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

We still have this if you want to post it there.

I was thinking about doing that, but a lot of people are using it to organize games right now and I didn't want to get in the way. Plus Critical Role is a pretty big deal right now so if we can get a discussion going I think it could use own space.

43 minutes ago, Silafante said:

Yeah, it funny because I learned about CR because of Fire Emblem because a lot of the voice actors of Awakening are in members of Vox Machina (formely the S.H.I.T.s)/ Mighty Nein.

Everyone on the show with the exception of Ashley has played a Fire Emblem character haven't they? In some instances multiple characters! Maybe one day we can get a full circle where Nintendo sponsors a one-shot session that's Fire Emblem themed to promote an upcoming release, similar to what they did with Middle-Earth: Shadow of War. I know that sounds like crazy talk, but after the insane success of the Kickstarter for the Vox Machina animated series I think Critical Role just might have the potential to go big enough to break into the mainstream.

Speaking of which how did I forget to mention the Kickstarter in my first post? It's only the most funded film project in Kickstarter history! Just goes to show how much enthusiasm the Critters have for this show, it made 4 million dollars IN TWO DAYS! Here's a link to it if anyone needs a reference: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/criticalrole/critical-role-the-legend-of-vox-machina-animated-s?ref=project_link

13 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Maybe one day we can get a full circle where Nintendo sponsors a one-shot session that's Fire Emblem themed to promote an upcoming release, similar to what they did with Middle-Earth: Shadow of War.

I would love this, but I doubt that Nintendo of all people would do that, but I like to think that nothing is impossible.

What I would like is that someone else picked the role of DM and we could see more of Matt as a player (also more possibilities of making a Chrom-esque voice, I love that goofball's voice).

I know of Laura Bailey through Lucina and Isara Gunther (who both incidentally wound up being voiced by Alexis Tipton, the sound-alike who does modern heroes!Lucina), Marisha Ray through her work as Oboro and a few others in Fates, and Matt Mercer just in general.  Those actors are well known and respected among fans of more recent FE games and beyond, and they've definitely had their fill of work with the series.

Anyway, I've known of CR for a bit now, but never actually watched/listened to any of it yet.  I have watched other DnD streams - first it was the Vinesauce DnD and pathfinder sessions between Rev, KY, Jen, Imakuni, and Hootey (DM), then I went into watching Team Four Star's own DnD shows (TFS at the Table [AKA Natural One-ders], The Unexpectables hosted by Takahata101, and the newer Role With Me by Lanipator).  However, I'm a fairly sheltered person that tends to stick to only what I know - that I've even heard of Critical Role and acknowledge what it has done for DnD in general is a testament to the impact it has left.

I do have some interest in checking the show out, though.  I just need to cut down the amount of stuff I'm already watching, because let me tell you... definitely more than a dozen YouTube tabs are open on my computer right now.

2 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

I do have some interest in checking the show out, though.  I just need to cut down the amount of stuff I'm already watching, because let me tell you... definitely more than a dozen YouTube tabs are open on my computer right now.

Really?! That many all at once? And here I though 3 to 4 hours a week for just one show was a big commitment, maybe I'm just not as efficient with my free time or something. But hey, I'm not here to judge, if you really enjoy watching all those shows more power to ya.

2 hours ago, TheGoodHoms said:

Really?! That many all at once? And here I though 3 to 4 hours a week for just one show was a big commitment, maybe I'm just not as efficient with my free time or something. But hey, I'm not here to judge, if you really enjoy watching all those shows more power to ya.

I usually have them on in the background while I play games on my 3DS/Switch or while I’m browsing the internet.  Not all at once, but sometimes I only feel like watching certain things.

Also, about that other thread, it was mostly just four of us organizing one campaign.  Activity there actually died down after everyone involved got into the Discord server.

51 minutes ago, Silafante said:

U wot mate?!

Sam Riegel is better, Liam is trying to mathematize Dungeons and Dragons.

At least Liam

Spoiler

didn't kill a party member

Edited by Tuvy

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Effies_Home said:

I love CR! I’m super behind though, finals are gonna be rough.

I've fallen behind due to finals myself, what a small world. But really what can you do once you've got 3 exams all in one day? Not a whole lot I can tell you that much.