Best regular battle theme?

indigoasis

Each Fire Emblem game has it's own unique battle theme that will play when you engage an enemy on the Player Phase, and are among the first songs you hear in a game (and often for the rest of the game for that matter). Some examples would include Strike! from Shadow Dragon, Clash from Path of Radiance, and The Dauntless Blade from Shadows of Valentia, just to name a few.

My question for everyone is which regular battle theme would you consider to be the best, or at the very least your favorite? If a song has multiple incarnations or variations (like arena themes for example), go ahead and share which version of the song you like best. Awakening and Fates' "battle" themes are really just the map themes with added oomph, but there are a lot of really good songs, so I'd say that they count, too.

My personal favorite is Path of the Hero-King.

My personal favorites are FE7's and Gaiden/Echoes' battle themes. Even when I first heard the latter in FE8, for some reason, that tune just sounds so powerful and challenging to me. 

I would consider the 3DS era, but I'm sure rather or not those count.

5 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

PoR has two, there's one after Clash but I forgot what it's called.

The Devoted is really good yeah.

Decisive Attack is the name of the second PoR track. The swap happens after Chapter 17- the turning point in the plot when Ike goes from commanding a few mercenaries to an actual army and taking the offensive against Daein.

The Devoted is dramatic, but not my thing so much. I prefer the more prim and proper On Glory's Wings.

RD is kinda weird though, it has six battle themes, one for early Part 1, one for the rest of Part 1, one for Part 2, another for Part 3, one for Part 4 outside the finale, and one for the Part 4 finale IRRC. A lot of other games just stick with one (although FE3's two Books each have their own), I think all of them did actually except PoR. I found that a bit problematic for FE4, Gen 2 would've benefitted from a separate battle theme.

And then you get to Awakening and Fates introducing the Map Theme-Ablazes format. It might seem a bit lazy, but it does maintain musical continuance in the constant shifting from maps to battles and back. Furthermore, the battle music thus always suits the story scenario presented, having FE7's Strike play during the sorrowful chapter following Emmeryn's fall would be quite dissonant. It also allows for variety in the battle theme, in a way different from how RD approached it.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Gaiden's battle theme is pretty amazing. I actually prefer the boopy Famicom version over the Echoes remix.

Sometimes older is better. I'm playing through New Mystery after having gone through old Mystery no more than say a month or so ago. I definitely prefer "Off to War" in its older incarnation, the serious sense of crisis is lost in the remix, much like Marth's alarmed/serious facial expression (seriously why did they not transfer that?- it only hurts Marth's portrayal).

As for myself, as I said earlier, On Glory's Wings is good. Yet it is a bit rich, and I do appreciate something lighter, such as Strike. Also, FE3B1's Battle.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• 2 weeks later...