Book 1 5*s will still be summonable on most focus circles

TheNiddo

2 hours ago, Hekselka said:

I didn't mean that word by word of course. I meant that assuming that we won't get a lot of banners featuring these characters.

Well, we'll have to see. Ishtar only got a rerun back in february and that was because every BHB got a banner rerun so I'm not sure of IS here.

This isn't all that important but every BHB didn't get a rerun for the Anniversary, they had a set of them based on each game from the series that reran~

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Nym said:

Imagine for some heroes like Lucina or Lyn.

Can't wait for that "Heroes with Defiant skills" banner am I right?

Then watch as it's Henry, Beruka and Virion. :-p

3 minutes ago, Seafarer said:

Then watch as it's Henry, Beruka and Virion. :-p

That would be the cherry on top of it.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

You make it sound so simple. I wonder why no one's thought of that before?

3 hours ago, Othin said:

Good question. It works great for me, I guess other people just need to get better at being like me.

I've spent over 400 Orbs just trying to get one unit before.  Having a reserve of Orbs doesn't guarantee that you'll get, even if you save.

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I've spent over 400 Orbs just trying to get one unit before.  Having a reserve of Orbs doesn't guarantee that you'll get, even if you save.

It's not a guarantee, certainly, but it does absolutely help your odds.

@Ice Dragon said working out priorities doesn't help if things are spaced out poorly, which is completely false. It absolutely helps, as long as you avoid summoning things that aren't high enough priority and identify which times you should just save up. The only problem is that people tend to be have trouble holding themselves to that.

Edited by Othin

13 minutes ago, Othin said:

said working out priorities doesn't help if things are spaced out poorly, which is completely false. It absolutely helps, as long as you avoid summoning things that aren't high enough priority and identify which times you should just save up. The only problem is that people tend to be have trouble holding themselves to that.

Even if you avoid summoning for things that aren't high enough priority, there is still a limited number of free orbs you can obtain. If you don't have enough, then you're out of luck, and the closer that banners appear to each other, the fewer orbs you will have for each of them.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be multiple banners. If somehow all of your priorities showed up on the same banner, you're basically screwed and will have to wait for the indefinite "next time" for at least some of them, and who knows if "next time" will screw you over just the same.

Planning and keeping your impulses in check can only do so much when the world conspires against you, intentionally or not.

You know it is actually very unfortunate that these really awful old pools (especially red and colorless) will still be active during skill banners, seasonal banner reruns, GHB and BB battle.  The awesome new  colorless pool, I would go for Loki since I want her and every off focus would still be a win.  However with the disgusting old colorless pool, with Mist there (I love Mist, but she is not worth breaking a 5 star rate), no way can I even consider it.  Actually this little part really sucks, you are going to punished hard for wanting to pull on skill banners or seasonal reruns cause you still have those crappy off focus pity breaker possibilities.  It will feel like much more of an orb risk, and particularly for FTP, one that will be hard to justify.  

What would have been better is everything have the new much improved pool.  However they would rotate daily old 5 star focus heroes so fans can go for them, maybe even those banners could have the old pool.  

My prediction is people will summon more on new hero and seasonal banners than before cause the off focus pity breaks are infinitely better on average.  This might lead to not saving as much for legendary/mythic banners which are considered safer due to not having pity breakers, though those should still get a decent amount of spending.  Skills banners and seasonal rerun spending will go way way down cause of what I detailed before.  

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Even if you avoid summoning for things that aren't high enough priority, there is still a limited number of free orbs you can obtain. If you don't have enough, then you're out of luck, and the closer that banners appear to each other, the fewer orbs you will have for each of them.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be multiple banners. If somehow all of your priorities showed up on the same banner, you're basically screwed and will have to wait for the indefinite "next time" for at least some of them, and who knows if "next time" will screw you over just the same.

Planning and keeping your impulses in check can only do so much when the world conspires against you, intentionally or not.

I'm not just talking about free orbs, I mean any limited orb budget. And again, I didn't say anything about a guarantee.

Units you want appearing close together can be an issue, but it gets less likely to be an issue the more you save beforehand.

I think the main issue isn't so much that gen 1 5-stars can't pity break you anymore on the new heroes and new special heroes banners, but that I don't think most of them deserve to be 5-stars anymore. Look, as popular as regular Lyn or regular Lucina or Ike or Ryoma or whoever the fuck we're talking about may be, they are not 5-star material anymore. Some of them never really have been either. They just have no reason to be 5-stars anymore.

Letting them pity break you on rerun banners isn't really solving the problem either. To take this current banner for example, if I want Ishtar then I want Ishtar. I do not want yet another blue Olwen or Nephenee or Ephraim to pity break me. I wouldn't even want Lute, whom I am missing and do want to get someday, to pity break me when I'm going for Ishtar. But I could still get pity broken by any blue unit I don't want (or someone not blue if I'm really unlucky) so this isn't even a complete solution. Old, outdated and powercrept  5-stars have no business pity breaking you anywhere.

Besides, this doesn't fix the issue about the 3-4 star pool being really boring to pull from unless you're a new player who started very recently. I'm not talking about the "bloat", I'm talking about the fact that characters who've been in there since launch or close to it (like the Fates retainers and all the 4-5 star launch units have been there for so long that almost all people who've been playing since very early on will have had them. Summoning is boring because I'm probably going to get another copy of a unit that I already have without the ideal asset that I'm looking for and this continues to be an issue. Removing some of these launch 3-4 stars and putting them off into a nonfocus pool with no 5-stars that just never goes away and has a lower cost (or different currency) for summoning would've been really nice. Some of the more outdated and undesired first gen 5-stars could have taken their place instead.

EDIT: And yes, I did pull for Ishtar on her debut banner and every other banner she's showed up in. I got pity broken by someone I already had every time I tried.

Edited by Sunwoo

11 minutes ago, Othin said:

I'm not just talking about free orbs, I mean any limited orb budget.

I'm well aware, but I chose the example that is most relatable to people here.

14 minutes ago, Othin said:

Units you want appearing close together can be an issue, but it gets less likely to be an issue the more you save beforehand.

Saving more helps, but I assume that's already the default behavior for goal-minded players.

As much as saving helps, your priorities being split by appearing too close to each other in time always hurts more than saving helps.

Sometimes, you end up having to give up on them forever due to constant unfortunate conflicts, which just feels really bad. For example (using an "any limited orb budget" example), as much as I want to finish my Winter Tharja merge project, it's absolutely a physical impossibility. Her banner only ever appears during the winter holidays when I already have my priorities split in more directions than usual, and the only time she appeared off of her banner (and is likely to never happen again) was in the unfortunate circumstance of being during Legendary Hector's banner, where priorities had to be put on Hector, who doesn't share her color (and the other two reds on that banner were of zero priority to me).

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm well aware, but I chose the example that is most relatable to people here.

Saving more helps, but I assume that's already the default behavior for goal-minded players.

As much as saving helps, your priorities being split by appearing too close to each other in time always hurts more than saving helps.

Sometimes, you end up having to give up on them forever due to constant unfortunate conflicts, which just feels really bad. For example (using an "any limited orb budget" example), as much as I want to finish my Winter Tharja merge project, it's absolutely a physical impossibility. Her banner only ever appears during the winter holidays when I already have my priorities split in more directions than usual, and the only time she appeared off of her banner (and is likely to never happen again) was in the unfortunate circumstance of being during Legendary Hector's banner, where priorities had to be put on Hector, who doesn't share her color (and the other two reds on that banner were of zero priority to me).

I'm not sure I buy your definition of "impossible".

Any orbs you spend on something you want less than more copies of Winter Tharja, either in the past or in the future, are orbs you could instead save for her. If there aren't any of those, or aren't enough, that just means she isn't a high enough priority, and being run at a different time of year shouldn't change that.

I thought this recent reddit thread succinctly summed up my feelings on the matter.  In my case, I would very much like to get more merges for Hinoka and Julia.  That being said, I can almost never justify spending much of my hard-earned stash whenever they show up on a banner.  In Hinoka's case, there are comparable if not superior options for merge projects in the 3-4* pool.  As much as I like Hinoka, it's not a very smart way to spend orbs.  Julia is a better investment given the state of the current meta, but even then, if I'm going to go down the road of hoarding orbs for months on end to try and +10 a 5* exclusive, I think I can do better.  Long story short, I want these (very much outclassed) units, but not enough to spend my orbs on them. 

IS removing all the pre-Book II 5*s from new hero and special banners is a not-so-subtle admission that most of them no longer hold up for one reason or another.  Not once did I ever expect that all the Book I 5*s would get demoted, or even that all the pre-CYL1 5*s would.  Units like Hector and Brave Ike will continue to have draw power for the foreseeable future.  It doesn't have to be full-on demotions --  I just want these characters to be more available, not less, and for me not to have to pay the same price for clearly inferior stock.

39 minutes ago, Othin said:

I'm not sure I buy your definition of "impossible".

Any orbs you spend on something you want less than more copies of Winter Tharja, either in the past or in the future, are orbs you could instead save for her. If there aren't any of those, or aren't enough, that just means she isn't a high enough priority, and being run at a different time of year shouldn't change that.

And this is exactly the problem. Tharja is on my second tier of priority. This means that new units are always going to be ahead of her in priority (until they are replaced by newer units and subsequently drop below her). Essentially, this means that the only way I'll ever be able to get additional copies of her is as a "pitybreaker", but the only way for that to happen for a limited character is to appear on a Legendary/Mythic Hero banner (and that chance has already passed, hence why it's now impossible).

Does this sound familiar? It's exactly the same situation we're facing right now with Book 1 units. Second-priority units are never going to be prioritized high enough to pull specifically for them, so the only way you can get them is as pitybreakers... which are now limited to banners that players are less likely to be pulling from.

As for the "time of year" argument, the reason why it matters is because "first priority" is a constantly changing priority tier. Any orbs or money that get "saved" from earlier months for second-priority units will necessarily end up being used on the new set of first-priority units if and when I get unlucky with them (which I often do). As such, I can really only spend orbs or money on second-priority units if I finish pulling the first-priority units during the same month... which is physically impossible during the winter holidays (also the summer holidays).

For players with "static" first priorities, this is still an issue because for the most part it's not truly static. Unless every single character the player cares about is already in the game and will never get an alt and the player doesn't care about getting new skills for them, some new units will eventually get added to the player's first priorities as time passes and will eventually push older first priorities out if they continue to get unlucky with them. The "rolling first priority list" just happens on a longer time scale which, when paired with a lower orb acquisition rate for free players and minnows, can result in the exact same situation as I have with Tharja.

tl;dr: If the game keeps cockblocking you, the first priorities you are unlucky enough to never get your hands on (or to not get your hands on enough of them) will eventually drop from being first priorities and hang out in the unhappy limbo of "I want you, but I can't justify spending to get you". The better staggered out banners are, the more orbs you'll have at that point in time to spend on your priorities (and make them drop off due to completion) and the less likely you are to have new first priorities bumping out older ones before they get another banner.

1 hour ago, DLNarshen said:

I thought this recent reddit thread succinctly summed up my feelings on the matter.  In my case, I would very much like to get more merges for Hinoka and Julia.  That being said, I can almost never justify spending much of my hard-earned stash whenever they show up on a banner.  In Hinoka's case, there are comparable if not superior options for merge projects in the 3-4* pool.  As much as I like Hinoka, it's not a very smart way to spend orbs.  Julia is a better investment given the state of the current meta, but even then, if I'm going to go down the road of hoarding orbs for months on end to try and +10 a 5* exclusive, I think I can do better.  Long story short, I want these (very much outclassed) units, but not enough to spend my orbs on them. 

IS removing all the pre-Book II 5*s from new hero and special banners is a not-so-subtle admission that most of them no longer hold up for one reason or another.  Not once did I ever expect that all the Book I 5*s would get demoted, or even that all the pre-CYL1 5*s would.  Units like Hector and Brave Ike will continue to have draw power for the foreseeable future.  It doesn't have to be full-on demotions --  I just want these characters to be more available, not less, and for me not to have to pay the same price for clearly inferior stock.

That's a good post.  I don't even think having the likes of Hector or Takumi available at 4* would be that meta breaking, since it would still require 20K feathers to get the skill onto the unit you want.

I've also seen the alternate currency quite a bit.  Like using badges or arena medals or a new currency to summon old units.  I pretty much only summon on new and legendary banners.  I'd love to have a random Leo to add to my merge, but if I'm pressed for Orbs, I'm not sure if I'd pull for him, if there's a new banner going on at the same time.

51 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

And this is exactly the problem. Tharja is on my second tier of priority. This means that new units are always going to be ahead of her in priority (until they are replaced by newer units and subsequently drop below her). Essentially, this means that the only way I'll ever be able to get additional copies of her is as a "pitybreaker", but the only way for that to happen for a limited character is to appear on a Legendary/Mythic Hero banner (and that chance has already passed, hence why it's now impossible).

Does this sound familiar? It's exactly the same situation we're facing right now with Book 1 units. Second-priority units are never going to be prioritized high enough to pull specifically for them, so the only way you can get them is as pitybreakers... which are now limited to banners that players are less likely to be pulling from.

As for the "time of year" argument, the reason why it matters is because "first priority" is a constantly changing priority tier. Any orbs or money that get "saved" from earlier months for second-priority units will necessarily end up being used on the new set of first-priority units if and when I get unlucky with them (which I often do). As such, I can really only spend orbs or money on second-priority units if I finish pulling the first-priority units during the same month... which is physically impossible during the winter holidays (also the summer holidays).

For players with "static" first priorities, this is still an issue because for the most part it's not truly static. Unless every single character the player cares about is already in the game and will never get an alt and the player doesn't care about getting new skills for them, some new units will eventually get added to the player's first priorities as time passes and will eventually push older first priorities out if they continue to get unlucky with them. The "rolling first priority list" just happens on a longer time scale which, when paired with a lower orb acquisition rate for free players and minnows, can result in the exact same situation as I have with Tharja.

tl;dr: If the game keeps cockblocking you, the first priorities you are unlucky enough to never get your hands on (or to not get your hands on enough of them) will eventually drop from being first priorities and hang out in the unhappy limbo of "I want you, but I can't justify spending to get you". The better staggered out banners are, the more orbs you'll have at that point in time to spend on your priorities (and make them drop off due to completion) and the less likely you are to have new first priorities bumping out older ones before they get another banner.

Two priority tiers doesn't seem sufficient to me. Like, I recently organized my top ~15 most wanted units into five tiers. If you're rating Winter Tharja at exactly the same priority as a bunch of other second-priority units, that sounds like insufficient differentiation.

The way I see it, what it would take for you to get Winter Tharja is to more carefully identify which second-priority units you want less from her and then avoid pulling for them. If you need to dip into those savings to deal with bad luck first-priority units, well, those are first-priority units you would've been missing out on if you hadn't been saving, so if it's likely to come up, it still sounds like saving is worthwhile. If saving like that for a full year still wouldn't be enough for you to get Winter Tharja because all your orbs keep getting eaten up by more important units, what that says is that Winter Tharja isn't a high enough priority for you to justify pulling for at any point in the year.

Any way you slice it, any concerns about the order of banners disappear with long-term thinking on a big enough scale to account for the character's next run(s).

As for rolling priorities, they're absolutely a thing, but the fact that they can get so out of hand is why it's important to be careful about what you allow them to pick up. Personally, with only about 300 orbs per month to work with, I've had to become very careful with my priorities to make sure those orbs don't get wasted on random new units that look shiny at the time but that I'd end up disregarding from both gameplay and mechanical perspective a ways down the road.

Like, all four of the characters on the spring banner are ones I care about, but I already have some version of Palla, Marisa, and Veronica, and I'm plenty happy with all three of them. So I grabbed Bruno and decided to pass on the others. I might go for Palla on a rerun, she does have a sort-of-unique unit type and some cool skills, but she'd have to get higher on my priority list for that. I think I'm being careful enough about new units to be able to get around to her by this time next year, but we'll see how things go. If things keep getting tighter instead, that just means she didn't end up as a real priority, and that's fine. For any level of spending, there are some desirable things that won't be achievable, and being able to accept that is important for feeling satisfied with whatever level of spending that is.

Oh hey, thread blew up while I was busy dealing with a kidney stone. 

Not going to try to go back to things from page 1, but as for some of the conversation on the current page: you don't want an alternative currency. They keep using alternative currency to slowly pull away our free orbs. They don't do it immediately, but over time they slowly take away monthly quest orbs or event orbs and replace them with alternative currency. So for the sake of being able to "purchase" old 5*s you'd lose some of your ability to purchase new 5*s. 

14 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

Oh hey, thread blew up while I was busy dealing with a kidney stone. 

Not going to try to go back to things from page 1, but as for some of the conversation on the current page: you don't want an alternative currency. They keep using alternative currency to slowly pull away our free orbs. They don't do it immediately, but over time they slowly take away monthly quest orbs or event orbs and replace them with alternative currency. So for the sake of being able to "purchase" old 5*s you'd lose some of your ability to purchase new 5*s. 

That's what they have been doing, but there's no reason it needs to be that way.  They could easily add more quests to the existing game modes without taking away what's already there.

4 hours ago, Lewyn said:

You know it is actually very unfortunate that these really awful old pools (especially red and colorless) will still be active during skill banners, seasonal banner reruns, GHB and BB battle.  The awesome new  colorless pool, I would go for Loki since I want her and every off focus would still be a win.  However with the disgusting old colorless pool, with Mist there (I love Mist, but she is not worth breaking a 5 star rate), no way can I even consider it.  Actually this little part really sucks, you are going to punished hard for wanting to pull on skill banners or seasonal reruns cause you still have those crappy off focus pity breaker possibilities.  It will feel like much more of an orb risk, and particularly for FTP, one that will be hard to justify.  

What would have been better is everything have the new much improved pool.  However they would rotate daily old 5 star focus heroes so fans can go for them, maybe even those banners could have the old pool.  

My prediction is people will summon more on new hero and seasonal banners than before cause the off focus pity breaks are infinitely better on average.  This might lead to not saving as much for legendary/mythic banners which are considered safer due to not having pity breakers, though those should still get a decent amount of spending.  Skills banners and seasonal rerun spending will go way way down cause of what I detailed before.  

you're going to be punished for going for a banner that you want the skill from? good grief, no you aren't.
a lot of people don't care abut the new seasonals, or new heroes. i'm not going to summon on new heroes that i have no intention to just so the pity break is higher, no more than I am going to summon on skills that i don't care about (or units idon't care about), because the pool is disgusting" which it isn't.

If you want Loki - there she is. Banner is right there. but using the off chance you might get mist is a silly reason not to go for a character on a focus banner. 

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

Two priority tiers doesn't seem sufficient to me. Like, I recently organized my top ~15 most wanted units into five tiers. If you're rating Winter Tharja at exactly the same priority as a bunch of other second-priority units, that sounds like insufficient differentiation.

No, I just didn't bother talking about lower priority tiers because they have lower priority and I will therefore never reach that priority tier, so it will never matter. I will detail my own priorities below.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

As for rolling priorities, they're absolutely a thing, but the fact that they can get so out of hand is why it's important to be careful about what you allow them to pick up.

They aren't out of hand. I simply have them planned to synchronize almost perfectly with my budget.

My first priority is one copy of each new unit plus a number of merges or spare copies on two or three units that are likely to be useful immediately or in the future or are characters or units I personally like. This is what I know is achievable with my current budget and therefore is the goal that I set each month.

This is why my second priority list rarely gets touched. My first priority list rotates almost exactly as quickly as I can drop characters off of it by completion (very few linger incomplete after each primary banner ends). This means that I only ever get to work towards my second-priority characters if I complete my first-priority list for that month because I'll have a new first-priority list as soon as the next primary banner starts. That also means that if there aren't any second-priority characters for that month, the remaining budget simply ends up being absorbed into the "in case I get screwed" pool for my first priority list.

The good thing about this system is that I have clear-cut goals and a planned budget for achieving them. The bad thing about this system is that I have to rely on pitybreakers for everything else because my budget and goals are designed with the other in mind, rarely leaving me with spare budget to work on my second-priority units.

As for my current priorities:

First priority is only Idunn [+Atk] right now. She'll probably stay there for at least a few months if I don't get one earlier than that. This is a fairly rare case; most first priorities drop to second or lower after their release banner ends.

My previous first priority list was 11 copies of Yune (at least one +Atk or +Res), 11 copies of Idunn (at least one +Atk), 1 copy of Thea, 1 copy of Sue, 1 copy of Lugh, 1 copy of Spring Veronica, 1 copy of Spring Bruno, 1 copy of Spring Palla, and 2 copies of Spring Marisa. All of those have since been completed except for the +Atk Idunn, and the list is currently waiting to be repopulated.

Second priority is currently vanilla Hector (~4 copies), Ophelia (1 copy), Tibarn (~? copies), Winter Tharja (8 copies), Valentine Lyn (4 copies), New Year Laevatein (9 copies), and New Year Fjorm (6 copies). Halloween Kagero and "extra copies of Bold Fighter" dropped off of this list by completion with the results of the recent Mythic Hero banner.

Everything else is in the "wait for pitybreakers" bucket.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:

That's what they have been doing, but there's no reason it needs to be that way.  They could easily add more quests to the existing game modes without taking away what's already there.

There's no reason to believe that would change. History doesn't support it changing. Less free orbs = more people get desperate enough to buy orbs = more money. Thus, yet another new currency = bad for those who don't want to spend money. 

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

you're going to be punished for going for a banner that you want the skill from? good grief, no you aren't.
a lot of people don't care abut the new seasonals, or new heroes. i'm not going to summon on new heroes that i have no intention to just so the pity break is higher, no more than I am going to summon on skills that i don't care about (or units idon't care about), because the pool is disgusting" which it isn't.

If you want Loki - there she is. Banner is right there. but using the off chance you might get mist is a silly reason not to go for a character on a focus banner. 

Well one isn't going to summon on banners whose focus units one isn't interested in regardless, however when one has to choose between banners that have units one is interested in most or going to lean heavily towards the one with the much better pity break pool.  

Mist, Luke, etc are a big reason many are/were generally less inclined to pull reds and colorless (red hell, colorless hell) while feeling much safer with green.  Considering the banners are usually 3% focus/3% off focus.  It isn't like there is some small chance of being off focus pity broken, it is a huge chance.  Of course one is going for the focus unit but if getting pity broken happens it is infinitely better with the superb new pool as opposed to the bloated old pool full of poor performing outdated units with no worthy fodder.  

So with Loki and the old pool one could spend 100+ orbs and end up with Mist.  So end up with nothing basically.  Or one can spend 100+ orbs and what is the worse colorless now?  Maybe Nina?  Bow valor and a link skill?  Yes that is at least is a great silver lining to the dark cloud of not getting ones wanted focus unit.  

9 hours ago, daisy jane said:

to be fair - and i agree with you - i have a Large emergency pool of orbs, (kinda wish there was an "orb bank" that you can like be all out of sight out of mind) - so if Myrrh/Flying Olivia have a banner, I am on it, and this is on top of the the orbs we get per month. - - 

but i mean. 
1: you can still get "gatcha'ed" and get hosed by luck 
2: your highest priorities could be about 2  banners apart. so if it took a chunk of your orbs to get it , and then look, here is rare unit/banner never to be seen again - then what? jump in my TARDIS and remind past me, that future me is gonna be boned?) 

1. Bad luck is inevitable sooner or later, so that’s all the more reason to ensure you spend your orbs wisely, so you give yourself the best chance of getting what you want the most.

2. The focus unit distribution is out of your control. You may not be able to get them both even if you had saved up a lot. But if you hadn’t saved up, you may not get either of them. Instead, you got some other focus unit. The important thing is to never regret what you pulled.

52 minutes ago, Lewyn said:

Mist, Luke, etc are a big reason many are/were generally less inclined to pull reds and colorless (red hell, colorless hell) while feeling much safer with green.

Actually,

• Red hell is due to the fact that there are more red units than any other color in all three standard rarity pools, resulting in a noticeably lower focus rate than other colors. For comparison, you are 1.6× times more likely to pull a green focus unit while sniping green than you are to pull a red focus unit while sniping red.
  • Colorless hell is due to the fact that the 4-star and 3-star colorless units have very few useful skills for Skill Inheritance. Part of this is due to the fact that all staff units have both an Assist skill and a Special skill, leaving them with 1 fewer passive skill compared to other classes.

The contribution of individual characters is minuscule compared to the bigger problems with red and colorless. After all, you are about 350 times more likely to pull a 3- or 4-star staff unit than you are to pull Mist.

Edited by Ice Dragon

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

Actually,

• Red hell is due to the fact that there are more red units than any other color in all three standard rarity pools, resulting in a noticeably lower focus rate than other colors.
  • Colorless hell is due to the fact that the 4-star and 3-star colorless units have very few useful skills for Skill Inheritance. Part of this is due to the fact that all staff units have both an Assist skill and a Special skill, leaving them with 1 fewer passive skill compared to other classes.

The contribution of individual characters is minuscule compared to the bigger problems with red and colorless. After all, you are about 350 times more likely to pull a 3- or 4-star staff unit than you are to pull Mist.

Staff units also don't unlock their tier 3 passive skill until 5*, so even if you pull a 4* Lissa, you only get Renewal 2 out of it.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Staff units also don't unlock their tier 3 passive skill until 5*, so even if you pull a 4* Lissa, you only get Renewal 2 out of it.

Nanna is the only exception, though that's because she has 5 skills. (I guess that means we technically do have precedent for a unit with 5 skills demoting. Hmm.)