Will Genealogy of the Holy War be the next remake?

Zihark11

Will Genealogy of the holy war be the next remake?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Will Genealogy of the holy war be the next remake?

So since Fire emblem 1 through 3 have all gotten remakes (although 3 was exclusive to japan) do you think they will continue down the line and give Fire emblem 4 the next remake? or do you think they will go with whats really popular? For instance the gameboy fire emblems (6 through 8) with iconic characters like Hector, Lyn, and Roy. Since us western players didint get a chance to play 4 or 5 i think it would be great for us to be able to experience these great games rather then having to watch youtube videos. After three houses i hope in the following year thats the next project they are working on.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do 4 they would probably feel obliged to do 5 next and I think IS knows that FE6 is really popular, I mean if they are smart they must have seen their like to dislike ratio on the Binding Blade banner so they must realize that FE6 is very popular instead of Thotmilla again.

I will go with FE6.

I would think it depends. Whether or not they feel to simply port instead of remake. Then again, for the Japanese only games, it's more probable for the latter instead of the former. At least, I'd think so.

Although, I don't really feel that much the idea of remakes, considering the world today ain't the world back then. It's not a guarantee they'd survive the process intact.

13 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

If they do 4 they would probably feel obliged to do 5 next and I think IS knows that FE6 is really popular, I mean if they are smart they must have seen their like to dislike ratio on the Binding Blade banner so they must realize that FE6 is very popular instead of Thotmilla again.

I will go with FE6.

Yeah i think thats a big possibility as well. i hope they just go in order. 

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would think it depends. Whether or not they feel to simply port instead of remake. Then again, for the Japanese only games, it's more probable for the latter instead of the former. At least, I'd think so.

Although, I don't really feel that much the idea of remakes, considering the world today ain't the world back then. It's not a guarantee they'd survive the process intact.

They fulled remade Valentia so i think that any other remakes should get the same kinda treatment plus the Japanese loved those games (4 and 5).

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade is my guess for the next Fire Emblem remake. It's a very rough-around-the-edges-game, and when you ask people who have played it before what they would change/improve/remove, you tend to get a pretty consistent list. It helps that several people know Roy from Smash Bros and Heroes and the like, several Fire Emblem fans started with FE7, the games prequel, and are interesting in another adventure in Elibe

Meanwhile, Genealogy of the Holy War has several aspects that people still debate about. For instance, the large maps. Should a remake keep them, with all their strengths and weaknesses, or should they be broken up into smaller maps that add more chapters to the game? If they did break them up, would that finally make foot units viable, or would it not change anything and/or go against the unique "feel" of the original game? Should trading be between everyone, only between lovers and friends, or should the pawnshop be kept? How should they handle the infamous incest, and so on. There are a lot of ways to remake the game, and obviously there's no one path that will please everyone, but deciding which routes to take is tricky, and I can see why IS would put that off for something easier to handle.

As for Thracia 776, when remaking that game, the major problem I see is finding out "this looks like bullcrap at first, but it's actually a hint that the player can use it against the enemies as well, and they need to change up how they approach certain problems" and "yeah, this actually bullcrap, and needs to be fied". This is obvious for some aspects of that game, and more blurred in others. Not to mention that Thracia 776 is infamously blind/beginner player unfriendly, but I haven't played the game myself, so I can't comment on how easy or difficult it would be to improve in that area.

Edited by Hawkwing

2 minutes ago, Zihark11 said:

plus the Japanese loved those games (4 and 5).

Did they? FE5 sold poorly. Although the SNES lifespan was dying too so...

10 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

For its worth, it sold around as much as the Tellius games did in Japan as well. I probably need to search those threads here on SF that are about sales. To corroborate.

Here's one thread, to start with. The Tellius sales are mentioned a few posts in.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Them going back to a remake of Gaiden despite its atrocious reputation leads me to believe they're not really interested in what the more "popular" choice would be. Naturally FE6 is appealing since it'll draw in the Smash Bros crowd. I also hear the argument that they'd be obligated to do thracia afterward, but that is also the case with FE6, they'd be obligated to make a remake of 7. If anything I'd expect 7's remake to come before 6 assuming they aren't packaged as a single release. And I'm betting they're not going to be since they have almost totally unique rosters of characters and even the returning units would need new voicework. That's about a hundred playable characters before they shoehorn Conrad into the plot of Lyn mode.

So I'm on team FE4. I mean, how could they not? It's a dating simulator just begging for your My Unit.

Edited by Glennstavos

For its worth, they skipped Gaiden at first, going straight to Marth's second aventure. Sure, Gaiden was that, a side-story to Archanea's.

So when it comes to the Elibe duo, since their stories aren't quite interconnected, it can go either way. They're not obliged to begin with Blazing Sword just because it goes chronologically first.

12 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade is my guess for the next Fire Emblem remake. It's a very rough-around-the-edges-game, and when you ask people who have played it before what they would change/improve/remove, you tend to get a pretty consistent list. It helps that several people know Roy from Smash Bros and Heroes and the like, several Fire Emblem fans started with FE7, the games prequel, and are interesting in another adventure in Elibe

Meanwhile, Genealogy of the Holy War has several aspects that people still debate about. For instance, the large maps. Should a remake keep them, with all their strengths and weaknesses, or should they be broken up into smaller maps that add more chapters to the game? If they did break them up, would that finally make foot units viable, or would it not change anything and/or go against the unique "feel" of the original game? Should trading be between everyone, only between lovers and friends, or should the pawnshop be kept? How should they handle the infamous incest, and so on. There are a lot of ways to remake the game, and obviously there's no one path that will please everyone, but deciding which routes to take is tricky, and I can see why IS would put that off for something easier to handle.

As for Thracia 776, when remaking that game, the major problem I see is finding out "this looks like bullcrap at first, but it's actually a hint that the player can use it against the enemies as well, and they need to change up how they approach certain problems" and "yeah, this actually bullcrap, and needs to be fied". This is obvious for some aspects of that game, and more blurred in others. Not to mention that Thracia 776 is infamously blind/beginner player unfriendly, but I haven't played the game myself, so I can't comment on how easy or difficult it would be to improve in that area.

Id personally just wanna keep everything the same for the experience, Valentia did a pretty good job of this even if i wasnt a huge fan i still enjoyed experiencing it for the first time. You right about Tharcia 776, i think they would adjust some conversations here and there to help out the players. FE 7 also sound slike it would be a good choice considering it was the first FE game the west actually got there hands on.

11 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

At the time though its sales were actually good (1996) gaming isnt what it was over 20 years ago, in every aspect. 

1 minute ago, Zihark11 said:

Id personally just wanna keep everything the same for the experience, Valentia did a pretty good job of this even if i wasnt a huge fan i still enjoyed experiencing it for the first time. You right about Tharcia 776, i think they would adjust some conversations here and there to help out the players. FE 7 also sound slike it would be a good choice considering it was the first FE game the west actually got there hands on.

Thing is, the original Gaiden was an overall solid game, with any problems with balance being clear and easy to fix. If it weren't slow as molasses, I would say that the original is playable to this day. The remake could have used some better maps, but that is dependent on the person whether it's a dealbreaker or not.

On the other hand, Geneology has several issues with balance regarding units, maps, weapons,  and more, and not all of them have clear cut solutions. As said earlier, there's debate over how to improve certain aspects of the game that raise questions of it it would be changing to much or keeping the original problem intact. A remake that satisfies the majority is possible, but I can see IS questioning whether to dedicate time and resources to such a tricky task when they there are easier and just as profitable options available.

I doubt it - with how divisive Genealogy of the Holy War is, I VERY highly doubt they'll be able to satisfy everyone.

37 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade is my guess for the next Fire Emblem remake. It's a very rough-around-the-edges-game, and when you ask people who have played it before what they would change/improve/remove, you tend to get a pretty consistent list. It helps that several people know Roy from Smash Bros and Heroes and the like, several Fire Emblem fans started with FE7, the games prequel, and are interesting in another adventure in Elibe

You're referring to Binding Blade.  Blazing Blade is the prequel with Eliwood, Hector and Lyn.

Anyway.  I honestly could see them going with either FE4 or FE6, but I'd personally slot FE6 is slightly more likely due to Roy and the director of Echoes expressing interest in remaking it a while back.  

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

You're referring to Binding Blade.  Blazing Blade is the prequel with Eliwood, Hector and Lyn.

My bad. I thought I was mixing something up. I fixed it.

23 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I hope so. 

Me too.

18 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Thing is, the original Gaiden was an overall solid game, with any problems with balance being clear and easy to fix. If it weren't slow as molasses, I would say that the original is playable to this day. The remake could have used some better maps, but that is dependent on the person whether it's a dealbreaker or not.

On the other hand, Geneology has several issues with balance regarding units, maps, weapons,  and more, and not all of them have clear cut solutions. As said earlier, there's debate over how to improve certain aspects of the game that raise questions of it it would be changing to much or keeping the original problem intact. A remake that satisfies the majority is possible, but I can see IS questioning whether to dedicate time and resources to such a tricky task when they there are easier and just as profitable options available.

Yeah good point didint think about it how much resources would have to be used. Fire emblem has gotten way more popular ever since awakening and Nintendo recognizes it as one of its money makers/exclusive series. hopefully that gives them enough insensitive to remake all the games. Theyve made crazy amounts of money off Heroes and the series in general in the past 5 years so money shouldnt be an issue. 

This may be selfish, but I want them to give the Archanea games the Echoes treatment, though I wouldn't complain about the Jugdral games or Binding Blade getting remade.

I think they might skip straight to Binding Blade, simply because the Echoes director specifically showed interest in it, and I just feel like it'd be easier for them.

16 minutes ago, Lau said:

This may be selfish, but I want them to give the Archanea games the Echoes treatment, though I wouldn't complain about the Jugdral games or Binding Blade getting remade.

I think they might skip straight to Binding Blade, simply because the Echoes director specifically showed interest in it, and I just feel like it'd be easier for them.

This is literally my stance on it

I hope Genealogy will be the next remake and it should be the next remake but in the end I think IS just can't get around Roy's Smash appeal. 

Genealogy should get remade fist. After Archenea and Valentia its simply Jugdral's turn and Genealogy has a much larger following than black sheep Gaiden ever had. However Binding Blade has a lord the whole Fanbase knows and its deeply tied to Binding Blade which a large number of fans already played. Even if Genealogy did nothing to deserve such a snubbing its sadly a very safe bet to just ignored it and skip straight to Binding Blade.

Binding Blade is one of the more popular FE's in Japan baring Archenea and the newer games, so it makes logical sense. 

Plus the director of Echoes said if he were in charge again, it'd be Binding Blade for certain. Genealogy is a unique and fun game, but I don't see it being remade JUST yet. It will eventually, but I don't see it happening before FE6.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For its worth, they skipped Gaiden at first, going straight to Marth's second aventure. Sure, Gaiden was that, a side-story to Archanea's.

i'm pretty sure they skipped gaiden at the time simply because the series was about to die, so i think they made a safe bet and remade the "face of fire emblem"'s games

now the situation's completely different, so it's possible that they felt quite confident, even with a remake of the series's black sheep

just my opinion, though, i might as well be completely wrong

Edited by Yexin

If they do decide to do a remake of Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia 776, they might decide to combine the two games into one larger game. That might be interesting, and it would allow for some neat interactivity between the two games' plots that wasn't possible with the original games.

Of course, juggling three playable lords while still presenting a coherent plot might be asking a bit much of IS's writing staff considering their recent track record, but a guy can dream, I guess.

Edited by GamerX51

I'd want Genealogy to the next, being chronologically the next title, but as has been indicated above, Binding is much easier to remake and has had expressed developer interest towards it.

However, I wouldn't want a Blazing Blade remake to accompany a BB remake, and certainly not with any forced generational aspects to bind the two. The game is perfectly playable as is, all it'd need is Casual Mode and unlimited grinding to make it more appealing (and give how Square Enix has retrofitted some modern QoL features into FFVII ports, Nintendo if it really wanted to could do the same with FE7- but it wouldn't b/c more money from a full remake). Genealogy and Thracia need more than that, and thus to me remakes more.

1 hour ago, Lau said:

This may be selfish, but I want them to give the Archanea games the Echoes treatment

sooooo selfish. I can't even name a game out there that has had three remakes - each built from scratch. The only answers that work, like the original Castlevania and Mega Man, are functionally remakes but their developers go out of their way to stress they are not meant to be the definitive version, instead a new game inspired by the original. I believe in second chances, and I especially believe in remakes of bad games to get them right, but four chances (five depending on how we consider FE12) is way too much.